SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

I should mention that M8.1 is just too radically different facially-wise from his predecessor for me to use his genetics in Owen and Boyd. When dialed in his face squashes theirs and they look inbred. This is the First Michael that I have not used at all. I wish if they were going to radically change the face and bod, of a standard character they would call him something else. I have always found Michael's genetics to be useful. 

That said, you can still apply M8's old shape to G8.1 so you can have that same shape. It just is too bad I can't upgrade.

I have found a lot of scripts aren't working with the new studio. Those ATGL poses? Don't work at all. So I have 6-7 really interesting couples poses that are dead in the water. I will wait to see if that gets fixed. You can find the original poses in the directory, and apply them individual, but without icons, it is hunt and peck.

I am going to mess around with expressions today. I am disatisfied wth the smiles. I want to see if I can make my own.

nonesuch00 said:

I think all 'hierarchtical' poses and expressions are broken. I tried a recent 'teen poses' for G8F & G8M set of body poses & none worked on G8.1M. Other pose presets for G8.1M did work. Other pose sets for G8.1F worked.

Interesting. I know certain scripts do not work. The expressions do not work. (although some did before an update). 

If you go into the pose controls for the head, the original deafauls expressions for g8M HD will still work. The rest no longer do. 

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited January 2021

Byrdie said:

Don't have that set yet but wishlisted. None of my Zeddicuss ones work, nor do the i3d set I most often use.  Will have to go thru them all & see what I can sort out, maybe move them into a separate folder for use on 8.1. 

There is a way to get your expressions working.  At your own risk of course.  Those who have done it haven't had any issues so far but we don't know yet if there will be.  Let me find the postPost here.

Post edited by Daventaki on
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,751

Well. That trick works. I didn't remove the folders in question, just made a safe copy in case I screwed up then told Windows to hide them. Opened Studio, loaded my test GM8.1 scene, lo and behold the expressions all work! Off now to do the same with G8.1 female.

edited January 2021

Yeah! Now Pictures of you works again! For some reason I like the 'laugh' it works on Owen as a smile. 

SMILE.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 820K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • ButchButch Posts: 797

Serene Night said:

I should mention that M8.1 is just too radically different facially-wise from his predecessor for me to use his genetics in Owen and Boyd. When dialed in his face squashes theirs and they look inbred. This is the First Michael that I have not used at all. I wish if they were going to radically change the face and bod, of a standard character they would call him something else. I have always found Michael's genetics to be useful. 

That said, you can still apply M8's old shape to G8.1 so you can have that same shape. It just is too bad I can't upgrade.

I have found a lot of scripts aren't working with the new studio. Those ATGL poses? Don't work at all. So I have 6-7 really interesting couples poses that are dead in the water. I will wait to see if that gets fixed. You can find the original poses in the directory, and apply them individual, but without icons, it is hunt and peck.

I am going to mess around with expressions today. I am disatisfied wth the smiles. I want to see if I can make my own.

Hopefully, I read you correctly.  But, if you want to upgrade the boys, create them as single dial morphs and dial them into G8.1 - it works for me.  Just move their skin, hair and props across to the updated figures - they'll look exacly like the regular 8.0 characters.  In the meantime, if you need to use things like atgl poses, just use the 8.0 version of your boys.  Also, being 8.1 all the specific 8.1 things should work, too - they just won't have the Mike 8.1 shape. 

Eventually, one of the 56,000 Vicky fans will get things to work for 8.1 female, so us 147 Mike fans can sit back and wait for them to do the hard work wink   

Interestingly the facial structure of G8.1 and G8 is not exactly the same. When I applied Owen and Boyd's shapes to G8.1 there are very slight changes. For exaple G8.1 has more of a puffy under eye shape and the eye lashes are real different.

There is some issues with the placement of the brows and lids. Even Owen's lips were kind of off. 

So while the likeness is probably close to 90 percent correct, Owen has some resting female dog face going on when I applied his morph.

edited January 2021

Okay, so barely discernable differences. For reference Greasy Owen is G8.1 and Ungreasy is G8

I managed to get the mouth and face mostly the same. The brows are slightly different. Eyelashes really are different and I don't know enough about those yet, to understand how to fix them. Forehead on G8.1 is slightly larger. I don't know why don't ask me! 

Owen-G81.jpg
    700 x 800 - 233K
    Owen-G8.jpg
    700 x 800 - 223K
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217

nonesuch00 said:

Serene Night said:

A picture is worth a thousand words

Oh wow, it is him. He is his own person that is for sure. Walking or wheel chair; he will not be cowed, he knows it's the law that's on paper that counts. I've been in the military and and 50% of those volunteers sincerely only volunteer for everyone else's sake but their own. The others mostly for college & training benefits to get out of minimum wage jobs without college debt or good high school grades. He seems to be the former, but either is a 100% legitimate and rational choice by the volunteer in question.

Anyway, Serene Night, your expensions look great. It's time your made a few DAZ 3D products for the store in all your fastidious attention to details.

is it a volunteer if they get paid.

• ButchButch Posts: 797

Yep, I probably spoke too soon and should amend my comment to add "just don't give them expressions" cheeky.  The eyes I can handle, on my japanese boys they seem more realistic.  But, one thing I found is his face seems to swell (cheeks, etc) when he smiles and his top lip doesn't like to move.  As it's only half natural looking, it looks more wrong.  I've never liked the open mouth smile, anyway smiley

How's Owen 8.1's teeth? 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Shouldn't you dial out Michael 8.1 for Base Male 8.1 before dialing in Owen & Boyd?

edited January 2021

Butch said:

Yep, I probably spoke too soon and should amend my comment to add "just don't give them expressions" cheeky.  The eyes I can handle, on my japanese boys they seem more realistic.  But, one thing I found is his face seems to swell (cheeks, etc) when he smiles and his top lip doesn't like to move.  As it's only half natural looking, it looks more wrong.  I've never liked the open mouth smile, anyway smiley

How's Owen 8.1's teeth? 

Here is Owen with the jail broken G8 Pictures of You expression. (Yawn).   The teeth are in order, but he has Gianni 7's chicklet teeth and smile texture. Oral hygeine in the future is apparently excellent.

I spent a lot of time on his face, because I didn't want the resting female dog face look. If you allow the default morphs to be there, you'll get that look around the eyes. 

Owen-G8-teeth.jpg
    700 x 800 - 223K
    Owen-G8-wink.jpg
    700 x 800 - 222K

nonesuch00 said:

Shouldn't you dial out Michael 8.1 for Base Male 8.1 before dialing in Owen & Boyd?

I only used Base Male 8.1  Michael 8.1 scrunched their faces very small and they looked a bit sideshow.

edited January 2021

it's only half natural looking, it looks more wrong.  I've never liked the open mouth smile, anyway smiley

I think the mouth is... Effectively its own creature. So no matter what character you have you dial the mouth and it looks... The same.  I find the mouth seems to turn up too much, giving a weird joker rictus. Also it is sometimes a bit short on the sides. So like the smile is there, but confined to the middle of the face in a weird way a bigger mouthed person's lips might not be.

So yeah, the stiff upper lip thing I have seen it.

https://www.daz3d.com/pictures-of-you-iii-morph-dial-and-one-click-expressions-for-genesis-8-male-s, Pose set seems to have the nicest smiles that Suit Owen and Boyds larger mouths and lips.  You still need to dial them down slightly. But these smiles tend to have the wholesome look I'm going for with Owen that lights the face..

They look better  than the "who farted" owr weird Joker Smiles.

I should mention that even Jailbroken the PX Pictures of You III set, has a few that aren't applying correctly.   It is still one of the best sets in the store for the kind of look I like.

Owen-G8-PX.jpg
    700 x 800 - 224K
    Owen-G8-PX2.jpg
    700 x 800 - 222K
    edited January 2021

For those who want to see the difference between Michael 8.0 and Michael 8.1 dialed in, you can! In addiition to that M8.1 is bulkier than M8   You can see that Owen, who is already extremely fit, has acquired even more big shoulders with the new morph.

This is why, I honestly think they should've called him something different. He just isn't Michael. I've used Michael on the boys since early days.... And this one just doesn't have the same face. 

G8.1 Base Male with Michael 8 + Owen

G8.1 Michael 8.1 + Owen

Owen-G81.jpg
    700 x 800 - 222K
    Owen-G80.jpg
    700 x 800 - 246K
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,742

Serene Night said:

Okay, so barely discernable differences. For reference Greasy Owen is G8.1 and Ungreasy is G8

I managed to get the mouth and face mostly the same. The brows are slightly different. Eyelashes really are different and I don't know enough about those yet, to understand how to fix them. Forehead on G8.1 is slightly larger. I don't know why don't ask me! 

Wait, are you saying that you used the exact same shaping morphs on 8.0 and 8.1 and got different results?

edited January 2021

Yes. Probably minor but the face has a different architecture and things like brows, under eye lid shapes etc weren't in the original m8. You have to do a pre render of gen8 version then a second render of the gen8.1 version with morphs applied to tell the differences and zoom in.  I am not sure why but even if you look at the two initial images you can see slight differences, it was worse before the hours of correction I made. 

Owen and Boyd are very customized too so it is possible some of their morphs do not transfer as well to the new shape.

lilweep said:

nonesuch00 said:

Serene Night said:

Oh wow, it is him. He is his own person that is for sure. Walking or wheel chair; he will not be cowed, he knows it's the law that's on paper that counts. I've been in the military and and 50% of those volunteers sincerely only volunteer for everyone else's sake but their own. The others mostly for college & training benefits to get out of minimum wage jobs without college debt or good high school grades. He seems to be the former, but either is a 100% legitimate and rational choice by the volunteer in question.

Anyway, Serene Night, your expensions look great. It's time your made a few DAZ 3D products for the store in all your fastidious attention to details.

Yes. You get paid for your job and you volunteered for that.

I forget that some people may of never heard of being drafted into the military. It's been gone about 50 years now in the USA. Used to be if you were male in the USA and 18 years old you got drafted by the military. You would take tests to show your aptitudes and be assigned your military job for training in that job. They still got paid though even though they didn't voluteer although it never amounted to minimum wage for the enlisted ranks. End of story. In such conditions some would voluteer for the Navy before they could get drafted so they'd be on a boat away from ground wars but Navy jobs were limited. 

The only restrictions that are supposed to be on volunteering for your job is competance in doing the job you are volunteering for. I don't care how many applications I fill out volunteering to be a doctor, ain't no hospital or medical business going to hire me as a doctor when I've done none of the work needed to be a competant doctor.

Volunteer equals free for no pay is a misnomer.

edited January 2021

Serene Night said:

nonesuch00 said:

I only used Base Male 8.1  Michael 8.1 scrunched their faces very small and they looked a bit sideshow.

That happens not just on Michael 8.1 but on most every character in 8 I noticed. You can almost see the sculptors always pushing polygons and never pulling polygons and that causes, in sum, cumulatively,  smaller heads. Even when you hear PAs talking about sculpting in the forums they often say they 'push around vertices or polygons'. I don't think I've ever heard one say they 'pull around vertices and polygons', not even once.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

So, the New Zeddicus pose set: https://www.daz3d.com/z-everyday-couple-poses-for-genesis-8-and-81

I was looking for the poses..... And they are in a strange new place....

D:\DAZ Studio\People\Poses\Genesis 8\Z Everyday Couple Poses

WHY?

nonesuch00 said:

lilweep said:

nonesuch00 said:

Serene Night said:

Yes. You get paid for your job and you volunteered for that.

I forget that some people may of never heard of being drafted into the military. It's been gone about 50 years now in the USA. Used to be if you were male in the USA and 18 years old you got drafted by the military. You would take tests to show your aptitudes and be assigned your military job for training in that job. They still got paid though even though they didn't voluteer although it never amounted to minimum wage for the enlisted ranks. End of story. In such conditions some would voluteer for the Navy before they could get drafted so they'd be on a boat away from ground wars but Navy jobs were limited. 

The only restrictions that are supposed to be on volunteering for your job is competance in doing the job you are volunteering for. I don't care how many applications I fill out volunteering to be a doctor, ain't no hospital or medical business going to hire me as a doctor when I've done none of the work needed to be a competant doctor.

Volunteer equals free for no pay is a misnomer.

fascinating point of view. 

edited January 2021

So I am going to put G8M.1 On the back burner for now.

Not that I dislike G8m.1.... I just don't really have enough content to make it really worthwhile. When Michael 8 was released there was just more incentive to upgrade There was a lot more content, specific to him, and of general use and additional characters. Maybe when more skins and resources are available. 

But not being able to use beloved scripts like Batchrender, means, I will have to hold back my studio for now, especailly since M8.1 doesn't bring much to the mix.

I will of course continue to use G8M and G8M.1 content. I just am not rushing to switch over to it as my primary resource right now especially when using new studio breaks stuff I like.

the tear geometry is cool.

I also like that the new shader has option to tile microdetails, but we can use the new shader on G8 anyway.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808

There was an update in DIM for the Genesis 8 Male Expressions today, and now they work for G8.1M -- you have to go into the Expressions 8.1 section under Pose Controls/Head, but they're all there. A touch more subtle than the 8.0 expressions, I think.

Also an update for Christian 8 HD, if you have that.

Speaking of DIM, have the last few updates been oddly flaky for anyone else? the last 2-3 versions, DIM occasionally downloads but doesn't install an item. It's not happening consistently enougn to file a ticket on, but it's often enough to notice. It's easy enough to go into the Installed  tab, uninstall it, and then actually install it, but it's weird.

Right now daz store has not offered sufficient incentive to upgrade for me. 

While I like the expressions, the sets so far don't really do much more than the existing sets. The release is sort of sloppy. The figures seem to load with both mouth realism for G8m and G8m.1.   The directory structure is disappointingly disarrayed, and Michael 8 the flagship figure strongly resembles a political figure. The hair looks like it might belong on Justin Bieber. 

My suspicion is the release of 8.1 seems just an excuse to sell more female stuff, the presence of a male in the arena seems kinda an afterthought. 

I hope to be wrong, and to see waves of male content for G8m.1 in the store, but to wait months with very little guy content, I am strongly disappointed in Mike 8.1

edited February 2021

There was an update in DIM for the Genesis 8 Male Expressions today, and now they work for G8.1M -- you have to go into the Expressions 8.1 section under Pose Controls/Head, but they're all there. A touch more subtle than the 8.0 expressions, I think.

great. He really needs more expressions especially some non smarmy positive facial expressions. His current smiles are not ones I choose to use.

Speaking of DIM, have the last few updates been oddly flaky for anyone else? the last 2-3 versions, DIM occasionally downloads but doesn't install an item. It's not happening consistently enougn to file a ticket on, but it's often enough to notice. It's easy enough to go into the Installed  tab, uninstall it, and then actually install it, but it's weird.

I frequently see dim delays. Sometimes it will be days before a purchase will appear and I have almost forgotten that I ordered it.

I am also getting worse than usual directory structure errors the likes of which are getting to be embarrassing.

edited February 2021

Boyd lifts Owen for the umpteenth time, in this cute Couples pose by Aeris. Owen is wearing one of Mike 8.1's new college outfis. In general I do like it, although it doesn't play well with Owen's HD body morphs which must be turned off and I think the hoodie could be bigger in the front since it should poof out more because of pockets.   Boyd is wearing this outfit I purchased on Gumroad. Now in my defense, I thought it would have enough mat zones to be really cute, but it turns out to be mostly one piece.  Now I have a bright green somewhat toony-textures sport outfit. And no, you missed the socks and red shoes. Because I turned them off in opacity settings.

LoveLetters.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited February 2021

This is the new White Magus Night HDRI set. 

I actually quite like the HDRI, but had some trouble using this product because of the peculiar file structure. It absolutely did not apply unless I used the presets in product view. I am accustomed to using the root directories t o navigate to the HDRI, and their settings but that did not work here. There may be something strange with the way the product's directories are setup, but once you figure it out, you get a nice set of HDRI.

Here I added a slight rim on the right to give some extra depth.

The set included 'particles' which you can add to your scene. I am not sure what I would use them for, and in the scene I rendered they looked like unresolved pixels, but I can see in a brighter scene they might work.

Night.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited February 2021

A new free Romantic Couples pose set for Genesis 8.1 Male  (zip attached)

Attached:

promo-valentines.jpg
    756 x 864 - 580K
    zip
    zip
    SNValentines.zip