UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,457
    barbult said:

The log file says you need to update your graphics driver:

2022-09-18 16:27:41.496 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.1   IRAY   rend info : NVIDIA display driver version: 457.51
    2022-09-18 16:27:41.496 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [WARNING] - 
    IRAY:RENDER ::   1.1   IRAY   rend warn : Your NVIDIA driver supports CUDA version up to 11.1; iray photoreal requires CUDA
     version 11.4; iray photoreal can only run in CPU mode. 
    Please update your NVIDIA driver (www.nvidia.com) to at least 471.41.

DRIVER VERSION IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM

Also use studio drivers not gaming
  • Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,074

daveso said:

barbult said:

The log file says you need to update your graphics driver:

2022-09-18 16:27:41.496 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.1   IRAY   rend info : NVIDIA display driver version: 457.51
    2022-09-18 16:27:41.496 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [WARNING] - 
    IRAY:RENDER ::   1.1   IRAY   rend warn : Your NVIDIA driver supports CUDA version up to 11.1; iray photoreal requires CUDA
     version 11.4; iray photoreal can only run in CPU mode. 
    Please update your NVIDIA driver (www.nvidia.com) to at least 471.41.

DRIVER VERSION IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM

Also use studio drivers not gaming

ughh.. NOW you tell me... I used gaming... I also play WOW so thought that would be best.  Does it make a difference???  I didn't understand one vs other.

edited September 2022

ok.. I did a few things... first I reinstalled drivers for STUDIO as daveso... suggested... Changed out the US water cause it was causing specklies (caustics was OFF... and I put Abbes to zero and that was worse)... so.. Made my own water and now my Horse scene is more realistic and took only 40 seconds to render!!!!   woo hoottttttttttttt

Sheesh.. now that i'm getting faster renders.... Look out contests... I did over 50 artworks for the June sale/contest and some of those took over 2hours to render... I rerendered them last night and got results of about 10-15minutes!!! 

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am a happy camper... I now have the GeForce Experience on my desktop and will check my drivers through it, instead of the device manager!

40second render.png
    1024 x 1024 - 2M
    Post edited by Llola Lane on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203
    I've never had a problem using either gaming drivers or Studio drivers. I think you are OK with either, but Studio is recommended for work like Daz Studio.
    edited September 2022

barbult said:

I've never had a problem using either gaming drivers or Studio drivers. I think you are OK with either, but Studio is recommended for work like Daz Studio.

Good to know... I had the gaming driver installed last night and the renders were as stated above.... Today I installed the studio driver and seems about the same.  I'll keep checking... I used the US for my artwork for this weeks challenge of the https://www.daz3d.com/blowing-in-the-wind--petals-and-leaves and it only took less than 2minutes!!!  Even with the hair... whoo hoot!!!

Sept 20 petals 1minute 25second render.png
    1200 x 675 - 1M
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 734

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

Good to know... I had the gaming driver installed last night and the renders were as stated above.... Today I installed the studio driver and seems about the same.  I'll keep checking... I used the US for my artwork for this weeks challenge of the https://www.daz3d.com/blowing-in-the-wind--petals-and-leaves and it only took less than 2minutes!!!  Even with the hair... whoo hoot!!!

Very nice, I would use dForce on the top so that it would drape properly around the sleves.

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

That's a lovely scene and very nicely lit. The pose looks great. The hair looks great. Maybe you'll win a prize.

Tugpsx said:

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

Very nice, I would use dForce on the top so that it would drape properly around the sleves.

I agree but the top is not dforce... and I'm not sure if it can be.  Didn't see any morphs for the sleeves either.  Let me look again.  :)

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

That's a lovely scene and very nicely lit. The pose looks great. The hair looks great. Maybe you'll win a prize.

Ha.. thank you... I have my fingers crossed ;)

edited September 2022

ok... learned something else new... how to add dforce to something that isn't... lol.  This is for you Tugpsx... my finished artwork... I've just posted it to the Sept 20th thread.  (fingers double crossed)

Sept 20 petals 1minute 25second render DONE SIGN framed.jpg
    1220 x 695 - 166K
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,457
    I was having occasionally problems with DS and was advised to use studio drivers. Those problems stopped. It may be specific hardware relate too. Or past DS version. I don't remember.

daveso said:

I was having occasionally problems with DS and was advised to use studio drivers. Those problems stopped. It may be specific hardware relate too. Or past DS version. I don't remember.

Well I played my WOW last night and things were rezzing pretty slowly so I may change back to the game driver... I'll see how it is tonight when I play.  :)  In the mean time I am enjoying faster renders thanks to you... Barbult... and others... Huuuuuuuuuuuge Llola hugzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz to you all!!!  I'll post more as I finish'em... Big sales going on so adding more to my US runtime :)  

• The Studio drivers are just older game drivers, essentially - for an older title like WoW I very much doubt they would make any difference, it's only for the new, bleeding edge games that the Game driver may have needed fixes or updates that the Studio drivers as yet lack.

Richard Haseltine said:

The Studio drivers are just older game drivers, essentially - for an older title like WoW I very much doubt they would make any difference, it's only for the new, bleeding edge games that the Game driver may have needed fixes or updates that the Studio drivers as yet lack.

I guess I don't think of World of Warcraft as old... they are constantly updating and making new parts to the game.  I will see tonight when I play and see if the gaming driver makes a difference ;)

edited September 2022

This is Stream 1 and an ecology I cobbled together with elements from Tropics, Mossy Hollow, and other props I own. The elephants are African Elephant Updated. This probably doesn't look like African elephant country. Maybe they got loose from a zoo. Use your imagination. wink

USC Stream 1 BV Tropical Sabal Palms 6 Elephants_002_BCam Str 1 CS L.jpg
    2400 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Nice!

An African savanna UltraScenery environment would be awesome.

barbult said:

This is Stream 1 and an ecology I cobbled together with elements from Tropics, Mossy Hollow, and other props I own. The elephants are African Elephant Updated. This probably doesn't look like African elephant country. Maybe they got loose from a zoo. Use your imagination. wink

Oh this is lovely Barb... I have wishlisted those elephants.. I have the older version... Well done... Thanks for sharing!  Any idea how long it took to 'cook'?

butterflyfish said:

Nice!

Yes, that would be a good idea.

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

Oh this is lovely Barb... I have wishlisted those elephants.. I have the older version... Well done... Thanks for sharing!  Any idea how long it took to 'cook'?

I wasn't measuring, but probably less than 10 minutes. You don't always have to render UltraScenery to a high convergence, either. I often set it to 70% if I am running a bunch of tests or just in a hurry, That is often enough.

barbult said:

butterflyfish said:

Nice!

Yes, that would be a good idea.

<--raises hand and 3rds the idea :)

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

I wasn't measuring, but probably less than 10 minutes. You don't always have to render UltraScenery to a high convergence, either. I often set it to 70% if I am running a bunch of tests or just in a hurry, That is often enough.

Got'cha... 10 minutes is long enough to get a cup of coffee ;)

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

I went back and checked the log. It was 6 minutes and 53 seconds. I'm not sure if that was just rendering time or the whole loading into Iray, etc., that adds a minute or two to the overall time. Anyway, fast enough.

barbult said:

I went back and checked the log. It was 6 minutes and 53 seconds. I'm not sure if that was just rendering time or the whole loading into Iray, etc., that adds a minute or two to the overall time. Anyway, fast enough.

<--thumbzzzzzzzz up!  Still enough time to get that coffee... ;)  lol

• I am starting to regret focusing on Substance Designer and Filter Forge for my shader creation. I haven't really touched the shader mixer in Daz, but I now wish I knew it well enough to add Cutout Opacity to the terrain shader for USC. I have worked out a method for creating inset terrains for USC derived from the larger USCXT terrain around them, but in certain cases, like a shoreline (where it makes a lot of sense to add more detailed terrain) the edges of the inset terrain can't be sunk under the outer terrain in all directions. You see it under the water. This is where a Cutout would really help. 

UXT2US 220921 mix 010.png
    1800 x 600 - 2M

avmorgan said:

I am starting to regret focusing on Substance Designer and Filter Forge for my shader creation. I haven't really touched the shader mixer in Daz, but I now wish I knew it well enough to add Cutout Opacity to the terrain shader for USC. I have worked out a method for creating inset terrains for USC derived from the larger USCXT terrain around them, but in certain cases, like a shoreline (where it makes a lot of sense to add more detailed terrain) the edges of the inset terrain can't be sunk under the outer terrain in all directions. You see it under the water. This is where a Cutout would really help. 

That is lovely avmorgan ... I am not sure you can CUTOUT OPACITY in USC???  I just learned how to MASK an area... maybe that would help you too? 

• I just want to show my first finished attempt with US and I have to say, I'm so in love with that tool.

Dreams become true and I'm so thankful for all the tips and tricks I've got here in the forum. But still a lot to learn... ;)

The Tribute AvLdunkler.jpg
    4000 x 2250 - 5M
    edited September 2022

Oh my... that IS lovely Enchanted April... I think now that my graphics card is updated this is by far my favorite product at Daz!  ;) 

Here's my latest attempt... (btw... 11minute render!!!)

"Stagecoach"

ULTRASCENERY wTrees Path Stagecoach FALL dustatmosphere 11minute render DONE SIGN frame.jpg
    1371 x 796 - 261K
  • Llola Lane said:

That is lovely avmorgan ... I am not sure you can CUTOUT OPACITY in USC???  I just learned how to MASK an area... maybe that would help you too? 

You're rght, the terrain shader does not feature Cutout Opacity, so you would have to add that in using the shader mixer if you wanted it. I get it in theory, but don't know how to actually do it. Yet. Until that day, I can try other things like using dformers to bend the edges under the surface of the USCXT terrain, like so:

UXT2US 220921 mix 017.png
    1439 x 933 - 2M
  • Enchanted April said:

I just want to show my first finished attempt with US and I have to say, I'm so in love with that tool.

Dreams become true and I'm so thankful for all the tips and tricks I've got here in the forum. But still a lot to learn... ;)

Baba Yaga! Nice! 

• Well, after a day or two of push-and-pull trying to make USC and USCXT blend, I could not come up with a good way to match color and texture, I didn't want to just apply the shader from one on the other, because the ecology would still be mismatched. Thus, I humbly put in a request to Howie: Please, please consider an add-on that matches color and texture (similar in character in the latter case) between USC and USCXT ecologies and features. It's as much work for you as me, but you can definitely turn around and sell it and give everyone the benefit; I'd certainly buy it in a heartbeat.

This discussion has been closed.