Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 8

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Jay: That is a very interesting movie, does make one think. Figure in the image is nice, so is that drop of water about to fall off the chin. Nice work.

@Sandy: Interesting experiment.

@eermusic: I like what you're doing in those images, the new one is also nice.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

and here is the 20000 leagues under the sea scene as promised, its still in progress but i don't really want to do much more to it :)

Nautilus.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 105K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,545
    edited December 1969

@Tim - ring is really nice, submarine looks good.

@Jay - interesting.

@Sandy - water splash looks really good.

@eermusic - interesting scene.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 2014

Cheers, Guss, Horo...it was an odd work - trying to simulate the lighting conditions.

Yes, Fishtales, 'scale' can be so important. Another area, and this isn't a comment about your recent work, but 'context' or 'suggested story' to a scene (e.g. say, you have a mountain on its own, then why not throw in some climbers etc., or, say you have a hall scene, then why not throw in some kind of figure, vehicle etc., - you get what I mean) can also turn a work around in to something intersting.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

@Sandy - water splash looks really good.

If you can remember back when I did the terrain for cloud experiment well those are the objects I used for the splashes, I just changed the materials for the foamy water one in Bryce :-) The front one is still a bit dense but making it more see through makes it even less believable. I only threw it together to pass the time for a couple of hours so didn't spend a great deal of time on it.

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:

Yes, Fishtales, 'scale' can be so important. Another area, and this isn't a comment about your recent work, but 'context' or 'suggested story' to a scene (e.g. say, you have a mountain on its own, then why not throw in some climbers etc., or, say you have a hall scene, then why not throw in some kind of figure, vehicle etc., - you get what I mean) can also turn a work around in to something intersting.

Jay

I usually put something in unless the scene can stand alone and still convey something to the viewer.

I can always remember my dad entering a photograph into an inter club photographic competition years ago. When the judge came to his, a black and white scene looking down a curved walkway with pillars and cross beams hung with climbing roses, he liked it but passed the comment that there wasn't much life about it. This brought a few smiles and suppressed sniggers from some of those standing around. After the judging the judge asked what had been amusing about his comment and he had to have a laugh himself when he was told it was the walkway leading to the Peace Garden at the local Crematorium :-)

edited December 1969

Heh he, Fishtales, I would have died laughing, too ;) Argh...the puns, the puns :lol:

Jay

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

Hello, all! Hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday season.

So much great work being posted!

I'm trying my hand at a few outside scenes and trying to work on creating skies. All I can say it's amazing how the various settings interact with one another and if you're not careful, you could completely forget what settings you used and have to try re-create everything without success. (Not that this happens to me ever, just saying it COULD happen. :)) Anyway, here's my first couple of attempts.

The one with the soft orange sky was rendered with an HDRI in TA 144 RPP and no additional light sources needed. The models are from the DAZ store.

The more dramatic sky was rendered with an HDRI in Regular mode. For some reason, when I was experimenting with TA mode, the wooden posts at the gazebo entrance wouldn't get much light. I kept the sun on at full intensity and the HDRI was ramped up quite high, but by the time the posts got light enough, everything else was bleached out. I added a radial light and could have rendered in TA mode, but it was getting late and I wanted to finish the render.

I'll keep experimenting with this scene as there's more I want to do with it. A big thanks to David Brinnen for his sunset videos on youtube. Helped immensely.

Pier3.jpg
    1280 x 768 - 625K
    Pier2.jpg
    1280 x 768 - 640K
    edited December 1969

Lighting in the first one, Fencepost, is super.

Jay

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,394
    edited December 1969

Thanks Goofygrmom, Hansmar, Guss and Horo.

A nice variety of superb inspiring renders.

The first an attempt at the tree in the mirrored box abstract following David’s screenshots on page 71 post #1053

The second using the EWL from the Lens and Filter Pack following the 2nd half of the tutorial- premium render 256 Rpp, Mrd 8 render time 5 and half hours. Bryce 10 minute scene - abstract glowing line effect - a tutorial by David Brinnen.

glowinglineabstract-ewl.jpg
    600 x 600 - 52K
    tree_in_mirroredbox.jpg
    800 x 400 - 68K
    edited December 1969

A few more kaleidoscopes. The 1st two I used Hdris and the 2nd two are with the default Bryce Sky

Looking forward to an Awesome 2015 Brycing year. :-)

kaleidoscope14.jpg
    600 x 600 - 25K
    kaleidoscope13.jpg
    600 x 600 - 18K
    kaleidoscope16.jpg
    600 x 600 - 129K
    kaleidoscope15.jpg
    600 x 600 - 172K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 2014

Thanks, Jay!

Nice abstracts and kaleidoscopes, mermaid! I like the 2nd image in each of your posts!

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

great work on all the recent scenes :)

my newest addition :)

Victory_in_a_storm.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 113K
    edited December 1969

@Tim Bateman: Undersea image is super, Nemo would hang that one on his wall. The ship is also great looking, though seems to be in distress.

@fencepost: I like the first image best because the sun doesn't out shine the rest of the scene.

@mermaid: Great looking kaleidoscopes, love the colors.

edited December 1969

Thanks Art and Guss

Tim- nice ship render.

edited December 1969

@Art - nice gazebo renders.

@mermaid010 - great renders. The one with the fiery lines is my favorite.

@Tim - nice render. Rain is not the easiest to do.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 873
    edited December 1969

mermaid010 Great kaleidoscopes pictures. I like the third one most

Tim Bateman Great ship. Cape Horn is just around the corner.

fencepost52 Your first gazebo scene looks amazing. Very good lighting.

This is my latest scene. Two sisters are enjoying a summer evening. My interest was the procedural grass.

summermeadow_high.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 202K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo and Electro-elvis

Cool render Electro-elvis, the grass look nice

• goofygrmom3goofygrmom3 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

Great renders!

I like the softness in the first gazebo pic.

I love all the K-scopes. I have to try them again. Didn't have much luck the first time.

Neat ship scene, but kinda scary.

Beautiful grass scene.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited December 1969

@goofygrmom3, GussNemo, Horo: Thanks!

@Tim Bateman: wonderful ring. Maybe you can play with the texture a bit to get slightly more light inside? I would like that.
    The 20000 leagues under the sea is really nice! And I am glad not to be on that ship in this bad water.

@Jamahoney: Wonderful pose and point of view and very good colours!

@Fishtales: Nice rock. You might have put the bird a little further from the rock (for the total view). Water looks nice, but I think you struggle (just like me) with the spashing water on the rock; that looks a bit too dense for me.

@eermusic: Really like your render; quite original.

@fencepost52: nice renders. Good idea just to test some settings.

@mermaid010: Very nice abstracts.

@electro-elvis: wonderful scene. Grass looks good. Can you explain how you did this, or is there a tutorial?

Finally: a new render of a landscape. This time I tried a top-down approach. I again used a photo as starting point of the terrain map (actually: a photo of one of my recent paintings). I wonder whether you can still see what the original subject was?

terrainfromabove.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - a very nice render, making me hope of a time after the winter.

@hansmar - interesting terrain - no, I have no idea what the original could be. By the way, from your exchange with Slepalex I think you could find a couple of documents (PDF) that may interest you. You find them on my website (see sig) under Documents. I also host document-tutorials others have written like - for example - Instancing by Rashad.

edited December 1969

@electro: Great looking image, vegetation is really nice.

@hansmar: Nice looking overhead shot of a terrain. Looks a bit parched, though.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis, How did you do the procedural grass?
    @David Brinnen, I think you might have also done some procedural groundcover experiments in the past, but I don't remember where.

I'm thinking of reworking one render from a while back that I felt was missing some things, and it would be nice to add additional groundcover. I had to greatly limit the number of instances to avoid running out of memory, so it looked far more barren than I would have liked, perhaps this would be a way to fix that.

edited December 1969

hansmar

Not quite what you were after in the Fire and Ice thread but I had a few hours to kill today and threw this together.

Rendered in Bryce but all the elements are from DAZ Studio :)

Thawing The Ice Cold Heart

melting-heart-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 379K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thanks. I will have a look at the documents. I must have seen some of them already. But apparently I am getting too old to remember all tricks and tips!

@GussNemo: Thank you. I was thinking about something like a lunar landscape, so 'parched' does fit, I think.

@Fishtales: Wonderful! Glad I could inspire someone to such a nice original render. I love the icy lady. I think, however, that the man does not need fire, but passion and love to do what he wants to achieve :-)

edited December 1969

hansmar said:

@Fishtales: Wonderful! Glad I could inspire someone to such a nice original render. I love the icy lady. I think, however, that the man does not need fire, but passion and love to do what he wants to achieve :-)

If you look really closely he has a large round ruby in his left hand :-)

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis, How did you do the procedural grass?
    @David Brinnen, I think you might have also done some procedural groundcover experiments in the past, but I don't remember where.

I'm thinking of reworking one render from a while back that I felt was missing some things, and it would be nice to add additional groundcover. I had to greatly limit the number of instances to avoid running out of memory, so it looked far more barren than I would have liked, perhaps this would be a way to fix that.

Yes my attention was captured by Electro-elvis's procedrual grass. Now I can't say how he did it, but here's how I did it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=860i2_tfdtM

Back to work tomorrow... seems the electrics and plumbing beckons for the new year - one outside, one in. Oh well, I shouldn't complain, but in the mean time, learning how to model in Modo... That's my holiday treat. That and about a pound of blue cheese!

Oh and in keeping with the title of the thread... something made in Bryce.

HDRI_test_scene6.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 972K
    edited January 2015

@Sandy - looking good. The ruby is quite obvious. ;-P

@David - this is a very peaceful looking abstract.

Here's a Menger sponge (made in Structure Synth) for all 3D fans. IB light, soft shadows, premium TA at 4 rpp, renders in less than 6 minutes. Just grab it ...

Menger_Ana.jpg
    800 x 800 - 140K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Fishtales said:
    hansmar said:

If you look really closely he has a large round ruby in his left hand :-)
    Oh, Now you say so. I thought it was an apple :blank:

@David: thanks for the link to the tutorial; have to check it out. And nice abstract!

@Horo: Where are my 3d glasses when I need them?

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

...in the mean time, learning how to model in Modo... That's my holiday treat.

This lurker, for one, noticed your absence.

When someone who's a very good candidate for being the best Brycer evah (plus prolific advisor, advocate, vendor, developer, etc) spends his precious spare time learning another program - it may be a sign of the end times.

Modo seems like a great choice, David. Looks to have a fine commercial momentum to ensure continued development (cripes, I nearly added "going forward"). Wish I could afford* dropping a grand to join you on your adventure.

Happy New Year to you and all fellow Brycers!

*psst, nobody tell Len, or he'll realise I'm not as posh as he thinks I am. ;-)

This discussion has been closed.