Daz to Unreal Update 4.0

Comments

• Razzle-Dazzle3DRazzle-Dazzle3D Posts: 32
    edited February 2021

Hey all,

We're excited to continue offering support for our Daz to bridges, as well as to expand and build upon the potential of these bridges with the input and support from each of these communities. If you would like to be involved with or contribute to this project's development, and to ensure that your voice and opinions are heard, we will soon be making a beta version of the Daz to Unreal bridge available to those of you in this channel.

We know David has been going above and beyond supporting this bridge and sharing builds to you when its ready to be shared; as this is not David's full time job we are looking to support him more. The builds will now be available directly from our GitHub and can be found at this fork. https://github.com/daz3d/DazToRuntime/tree/unreal-builds

Please note, while we are archiving all of our older bridge builds, we are only able to offer assistance related to the latest public release of this bridge. 

Post edited by Razzle-Dazzle3D on
  • it doesn't properly automap the skeleton no matter what I do.

You don't want to automap the Genesis skeleton.  It doesn't automap properly.  I've saved them out with the mapping already set.

You can ignore the ik bone warnings.

• David Vodhanel said:

it doesn't properly automap the skeleton no matter what I do.

You don't want to automap the Genesis skeleton.  It doesn't automap properly.  I've saved them out with the mapping already set.

You can ignore the ik bone warnings.

the mapping is not already set correctly for me though when i use the bridge to send a figure to Unreal. see video below, this is what it does after import, the lower skeleton is all wrong for the legs, so I've been trying to hit clear and then automap. I'll just do it manually then since the plugin doesn't work for me, but what are the correct mappings? right now I see thigh_L going to rBigToe, I guess that should go to lThighBend. But I don't see anything for calf? Should that go to shin?

• calf_l should go to lShin.

Hitting automap isn't going to work.  Epic's mapping function maps the Genesis skeleton all wierd.  Most likely you've already saved the skeleton since hitting automap so now it's saved out all wrong.  The simplest fix is probably to get a clean copy of the skeleton asset.

http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-getting-a-clean-copy-of-the-skeleton/

• 3DRT3DRT Posts: 61

I'm wondering if it'll be possible to have a functional ragdoll for DAZ figures. As it stands now, physics are not really usable on G8 figures sent through the bridge. Is this something that could be fixed in the future or an inherent limitation of the figures themselves?

• ignore those errors, just hit clear and close the dialogue 

its just extra bones without weights

• I'm wondering if it'll be possible to have a functional ragdoll for DAZ figures. As it stands now, physics are not really usable on G8 figures sent through the bridge. Is this something that could be fixed in the future or an inherent limitation of the figures themselves?

It's been a while since I did it, but I have made them ragdoll properly by setting up constraints on the physics for the character.  So it's definitely possible.  It's on my list, but I haven't looked into automating the process yet.

• so I figured this out sort of. the first time I followed the daz tutorial and i hit automap as instructed, and it screwed up my mappings and they never went back to working correctly, even after uninstalling and reinstalling, until I deleted everything and manually mapped the skeleton. i looked on youtube and saw at least 4 different ways to set the mappings. so this is the mapping i used attached, hopefully it is correct. everything seems to work right now, but i haven't tested enough animation to know for certain. Any feedback if these mappings are correct would be appreciated, especially the ones with questions marks, I've seen various settings for spine 1,2,3 and sometimes I see pelvis go to pelvis instead of hip.

humanoid bone mapping.jpg
    688 x 1178 - 164K

David Vodhanel said:

I'm wondering if it'll be possible to have a functional ragdoll for DAZ figures. As it stands now, physics are not really usable on G8 figures sent through the bridge. Is this something that could be fixed in the future or an inherent limitation of the figures themselves?

It's been a while since I did it, but I have made them ragdoll properly by setting up constraints on the physics for the character.  So it's definitely possible.  It's on my list, but I haven't looked into automating the process yet.

That's definitely good news. Would a working physics setup be "one-size fits all" (i.e. scale with morphs) or would they need to configured on an individual basis for different characters?

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

TGSNT said:

so I figured this out sort of. the first time I followed the daz tutorial and i hit automap as instructed, and it screwed up my mappings and they never went back to working correctly, even after uninstalling and reinstalling, until I deleted everything and manually mapped the skeleton. i looked on youtube and saw at least 4 different ways to set the mappings. so this is the mapping i used attached, hopefully it is correct. everything seems to work right now, but i haven't tested enough animation to know for certain. Any feedback if these mappings are correct would be appreciated, especially the ones with questions marks, I've seen various settings for spine 1,2,3 and sometimes I see pelvis go to pelvis instead of hip.

this one is the most accurace and perfect i found so far for daz:

if any times you need to build from the ground this one is the most perfect without the ik bones.

•  

if any times you need to build from the ground this one is the most perfect without the ik bones.

thank you. I see you have a few different ones, I'll have to try your settings out. 

The latest update of the plugin on DIM doesn't seem to include the 4.25 version of the plugin. It will install the 4.26 version even if DIM points to the 4.25 directory.

• I was working last night trying to get a clean export from Daz to Unreal 4.25 everything was working fine except when I retarget the animations the Characters face gets distorted.  Today the bridge doesn't work on any version of my Unreal project files.  Nothing is getting imported.  So trying it manually dragging the .duf file in gives me an error.  Did the bridge break today at some point?

• RestifRestif Posts: 61
    edited March 2021

Hi, I am unable to get Daz to Unreal to work. I am using 4.25.4 and plugin version 4.0.  I get this error:

The following modules are missing or build with a different engin version:

DaztoUnreal

DaztoUnrealDeveloper

DaztoUnrealRuntime

Engine modules cannot be compiled at runtime. Please build through you IDE.

Not sure what to do, i've uninstalled and reinstalled and still can't get this to work. Anyone see this error in Unreal Engine? I see the plugin, click it, do the restart, and this shows up.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Post edited by Restif on
  • bradleykelley said:

I was working last night trying to get a clean export from Daz to Unreal 4.25 everything was working fine except when I retarget the animations the Characters face gets distorted.  Today the bridge doesn't work on any version of my Unreal project files.  Nothing is getting imported.  So trying it manually dragging the .duf file in gives me an error.  Did the bridge break today at some point?

You need to set the retarget source to prevent the face getting distorted.  http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-animations/

You manually import using the exported dtu file, not the duf file.  http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-starting-an-import-manually/

If the import isn't starting automatically, the port is uses probably got blocked somehow, a reboot should clear it up.

• Restif said:

Hi, I am unable to get Daz to Unreal to work. I am using 4.25.4 and plugin version 4.0.  I get this error:

The following modules are missing or build with a different engin version:

DaztoUnreal

DaztoUnrealDeveloper

DaztoUnrealRuntime

Engine modules cannot be compiled at runtime. Please build through you IDE.

I'm not sure why, but that sounds like you got the 4.26 version installed in your 4.25 somehow.  It might be easier to get the version you need here: https://github.com/daz3d/DazToRuntime/tree/unreal-builds

• DAZ_samDAZ_sam Posts: 170

Currently DIM and Daz Central can only have one version able to be installed. You will be able to use the automatic install for 4.26 only right now. Until that is changed if you wish to get the older version's plugin you can find it here. 

Just download the zip-labeled builds and in there you will find the plugin for 4.25.   
    The link David shared will be if you wish to get the backlog of old versions as well. 
    https://github.com/daz3d/DazToRuntime/releases/tag/4.1.0-unreal

Every release moving forward will be found on our GitHub as well. 

DAZ_sam said:

Currently DIM and Daz Central can only have one version able to be installed. You will be able to use the automatic install for 4.26 only right now. Until that is changed if you wish to get the older version's plugin you can find it here. 

Just download the zip-labeled builds and in there you will find the plugin for 4.25.   
    The link David shared will be if you wish to get the backlog of old versions as well. 

Will 4.25 still be supported going forward (i.e. will new features and fixes for the plugin be available in the 4.25 version)?

• DAZ_samDAZ_sam Posts: 170

3DRT said:

DAZ_sam said:

Will 4.25 still be supported going forward (i.e. will new features and fixes for the plugin be available in the 4.25 version)?

We will be trying our best to keep 4.25 supported as long as we can but, we will be prioritizing updates on the most up-to-date version of the Engine. 

• VladricVladric Posts: 6

I am having trouble with the Daz to Unreal install, I am using Daz Central to install and can find the plugin file in the Unreal plugin folder,but when I try to enable it in Unreal I get the massage in the picture. Can someone tell me what is wrong?

Thank you

Screenshot (12).png
    1920 x 1074 - 2M

Vladric said:

I am having trouble with the Daz to Unreal install, I am using Daz Central to install and can find the plugin file in the Unreal plugin folder,but when I try to enable it in Unreal I get the massage in the picture. Can someone tell me what is wrong?

Thank you

What version of UE are you using? The one included in DIM is for 4.26. You can download older versions from the Git Repository posted above.

• fjccommishfjccommish Posts: 16
    edited March 2021

How do I install this? I just downloaded with DIM. There is no Daztounreal 4.26 directory or file.

Downloaded and installed Unreal Engine 4.26

Used DIM to download IM00072003-04_DazToUnreal464bit.zip

Unzipped that file.

There is a folder Unreal Engine_4_(64-Bit). Inside that is a folder called "Engine". Inside that is "Plugin\DaztoUInreal" and then binaries folder, content, intermediate, resources, source.

What do I move and where? Do I have to use DIM? What are the steps?

Post edited by fjccommish on
  • hobhobukhobhobuk Posts: 27

How do we download older versions?  Github is very confusing.  Im struglling to figure out exactly where or how I download the folder

DIM just causes errors when installing for 4.25 due to installing the 4.26 version

• hobhobukhobhobuk Posts: 27
    edited March 2021

Found the download, however now the arms come out wrong in unreal, didnt happen on 4.26 with dim.

Presume the daz plugin itself is now wrong version. but no idea where that file goes?  any help??

update; found it, for anyone who needs its C:\Daz 3D\Applications\64-bit\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins

Post edited by hobhobuk on

i've found a little bug in the new versions of the bridge, until few versions ago, when you exported the character to unreal from daz it auto recognize the skeleton mesh from the pluging and already export the character using this  skeleton but now is not doing it anymore, it exporting the mesh using the "current mesh skeletal mesh instead of using the daz to unreal pluging skeletal.

in order to "temp" fix it you have to set the pluging to display the import window in unreal then manually select the daz skeleton, then it proper add the pluging skeleton to the mesh.

ok while i do know which the issue is due to unreal not support the DQ, any chance of daz team add a "work around" for this issue for the bridge like a sort of "extra jcms" to correct this bug when export to unreal???

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3386236/#Comment_3386236

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/512186/help-to-fix-a-really-annoying-pose-bug-in-unreal-from-daz-if-anyone-know-a-good-way-to-fix-it

while unreal currently don't support DQ would be really interesting if a sort of "work around fix like jcm would be made to fix this issue in the bridge because while daz characters really looks awesome inside daz outside daz or in unreal engine in many animations where you have to "rotate" bones more than 45 degress they start to look a lot ugly even more than what they where supposed to look without DQ in many games.

then would be awesome to have a "sort of fix" being added to daz, they would be a sort of "optional morphs" where they only would work when exported to unreal.

• I've been thinking about using the JCMs to "fix" the bending.  If the offsets are recalculated based on the linear weights vs the DQ weights it would theoretically make the joints look better when they bend.  In practice, it may be more complicated than that.  I've got a couple more items on my list before I get to that though.  Maybe someone else will beat me to it.

David Vodhanel said:

I've been thinking about using the JCMs to "fix" the bending.  If the offsets are recalculated based on the linear weights vs the DQ weights it would theoretically make the joints look better when they bend.  In practice, it may be more complicated than that.  I've got a couple more items on my list before I get to that though.  Maybe someone else will beat me to it.

Yeah this is exactly how triple AAA companies work to fix they linear animations, since they don't use DQ, they use corrective morphs targets when they can and want, epic do that in fortinite game, many of they animations are fixed using the pos process animation and corrective morphs and also some "bone clone and others extra stuffs which allows then to in real time adjust the animations as they need.

And since you talked about it, 'if i can ask what is exactly your current plans for next update? any news about the "collision capsules??, my honest top priority for wish fixes is this DQ stuff and the collision capsules those for me would be a huge improviment. 

• Looking forward to Unreal 4.27

• IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159

2961558733 said:

• Looking forward to Unreal 4.27

I have it and got the current bridge to work once, so I'm hoping for a new compile of the bridge to work with it.