Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta Now Available for Download

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Dell said:
    I have had no luck getting 0.172

I reset my Carrara 8 Pro Upgrade (I have no sign of Carrara 8 in my list of items) and I got...

Carrara_8.5.0.132_Mac64

But no 0.172

Sorry for sounding like a noob, but does anyone know how I can get 0.172 ?
    I think there were problems for Genesis in .172, so the current available beta was regressed to .132 (I may be wrong, I don't use Gen, but was trying to follow the progress...)

I have both installed but on different computers. 132 seems a little more stable (but it's running on a much newer computer).

I use 8.5.0.149 because that one works with the Mimic plugin and Genesis facial morphs, the other later one did not.Hmmm... so, perhaps I should regress. I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the info.
    I've been very happy with 172, but started getting saving errors preventing me from getting stuff saved. I'll check and see if this works, when I get more time.
  • ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279
    edited December 1969

How do I acquire the latest beta version?

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Connatic said:
    How do I acquire the latest beta version?

If you have purchased Carrara 8 you can just reset your download. Afaik it's the only way to get the Beta.

edited December 1969

Thanks, I did that and see that both the beta and the last full version were added at the reset. They are not clearly labelled, but you can see it on the downloaded file.

Does genesis work in the beta?

• WadeWattsWadeWatts Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Wow! How are you getting .149 ???

I was reset and I got .132

I mean it's cool and all that... I don't need to have .172 but for clarity there should be some connection between what the site says and what version you actually get otherwise users like me (and I suspect others) become confused.

Post edited by WadeWatts on
    edited December 1969

I got .132. What is going on here? I have been waiting for a long time to get this 8.5 upgrade, I bought some Genesis products to use in Carrara and it seems it was a big waste of money. I think I will start using Blender.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Connatic said:
    I got .132. What is going on here? I have been waiting for a long time to get this 8.5 upgrade, I bought some Genesis products to use in Carrara and it seems it was a big waste of money. I think I will start using Blender.

... because Genesis works GREAT in Blender.

:smirk:

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

I cannot get .172 beta for whatever reason, but I have .21, .58 and .132. Am I correct in saying .132 is the most recent I have? I am using .58 at the moment, thinking that it was the latest.,on the grounds that .58 is a bigger number than .132...... Unless the "point " is irrelevant in this case? Anyone clear this up please?

edited December 1969

Arrrhhhh.... Don't go too gonzo on us! I mean it is ok.... I am sure DAZ has a good reason and will update us shortly. I would never jump to another software because of a BETA issue like this.

This is BETA people... means it won't be perfect. I am still excited for 8.5 release like all of you.

Have a good weekend!

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I cannot get .172 beta for whatever reason, but I have .21, .58 and .132. Am I correct in saying .132 is the most recent I have? I am using .58 at the moment, thinking that it was the latest.,on the grounds that .58 is a bigger number than .132...... Unless the "point " is irrelevant in this case? Anyone clear this up please?

.132 is the newest version you have. It's not a decimal...

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited January 2013

The "point" is not a decimal, it is a separator, a "dot". The number behind the separator is a scalar integer. Meaning that .100 is greater than .5. All digits are significant.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

Connatic said:

Not because of using Genesis in Blender. I am tired of waiting for something that seems to be moving backwards. It's not the first time I have invested time and money into software that halts in development. I like Carrara, but it seems like a dead product right now. Show me some proof that it is going to be further developed. Smirky smart-ass comments are irrelevant.

edited December 1969

Connatic said:
    Connatic said:

Not because of using Genesis in Blender. I am tired of waiting for something that seems to be moving backwards. It's not the first time I have invested time and money into software that halts in development. I like Carrara, but it seems like a dead product right now. Show me some proof that it is going to be further developed. Smirky smart-ass comments are irrelevant.

I don't know that it could be considered "proof", but Carrara was recently on sale very prominently in the last week. So DAZ is still promoting it and running "specials" to get people to buy it. That is not the action of an organization looking to dump a product. Anyone who has ever marketed a software product will tell you a simple truth: "The main cost of a product is not the development, it is the post sale support."

Kendall

edited December 1969

I would not call Carrara a dead product. It is just in BETA. Which means the devs who are writing the code will control the releases. And they may fallback to a more stable release while they fix bugs.

I have faith that this software will ship and the upgrades will be healthy and vital to the future of DAZ.

So just keep the faith a little longer and you may be pleasantly surprised!

Dell

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited January 2013

Connatic said:
    Connatic said:

Latest proof is the assignment of the German Language pack to Pierre late last month. Screen grab:

German.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 218K
    Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Anyone who has ever marketed a software product will tell you a simple truth: "The main cost of a product is not the development, it is the post sale support."

Kendall

Really? I didn't know that.

So, DAZ has a team of, what, 10 developers spend, say, a year working on a new Carrara release. Say that costs about $1 million just in developer salaries.

Then they release it, and it's more expensive to provide support for it? In DAZ's case, what do they spend on support of Carrara? It's not like they have a hot line you can call for support. You enter bug reports, and they deal with it in, maybe a year or three. I'm not sure where all the expensive support comes in.

And I'm not sure I agree with those things that folks are claiming are indicators of Carrara's health. The fact it went on sale, and the fact that there was some bug report activity (the German language thing). You put things on sale if you want more money. If you're a kid on the corner selling lemonade for $1 per glass, and nobody is buying, what do you do? You get your crayon out, cross out $1, and put 25 cents. You don't just sit there with overpriced stuff that nobody is buying and wait until it gets dark.

And I think the German language thing is real questionable. Yeah, it might mean that there's more activity down the road, but I'm sure it could also mean that one of the QA guys was just assigned to clean up the bug reports as a normal activity. I think they've said before that you shouldn't read too much into bug activity.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Latest proof is the assignment of the German Language pack to Pierre late last month.

I've seen a few previous references made to this particular bug report, as evidence that it's recent activity by DAZ.
    Actually, the activity on 12/26/2012 was due to the original reporter posting a note to the report, not the assignment of the bug.
    The assignment of the bug took place back in September by bfurner.

If you open the report and scroll down to the bottom you'll see the activity log.

edited December 1969

I'm not going to debate perceptions.

Kendall

Anyone who has ever marketed a software product will tell you a simple truth: "The main cost of a product is not the development, it is the post sale support."

Kendall

Really? I didn't know that.

So, DAZ has a team of, what, 10 developers spend, say, a year working on a new Carrara release. Say that costs about $1 million just in developer salaries.

Then they release it, and it's more expensive to provide support for it? In DAZ's case, what do they spend on support of Carrara? It's not like they have a hot line you can call for support. You enter bug reports, and they deal with it in, maybe a year or three. I'm not sure where all the expensive support comes in.

And I'm not sure I agree with those things that folks are claiming are indicators of Carrara's health. The fact it went on sale, and the fact that there was some bug report activity (the German language thing). You put things on sale if you want more money. If you're a kid on the corner selling lemonade for $1 per glass, and nobody is buying, what do you do? You get your crayon out, cross out $1, and put 25 cents. You don't just sit there with overpriced stuff that nobody is buying and wait until it gets dark.

And I think the German language thing is real questionable. Yeah, it might mean that there's more activity down the road, but I'm sure it could also mean that one of the QA guys was just assigned to clean up the bug reports as a normal activity. I think they've said before that you shouldn't read too much into bug activity.

edited December 1969

Kendall

Since when is this a debate? You're a software guy as I recall. You made a statement about development vs. support costs. I'm just asking for an explanation that ties it to DAZ and Carrara. How are the post-development support costs greater than the development costs? Not a debate, a simple question.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,916
    edited January 2013

Lets keep the conversation civil and on topic

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

Kendall

Since when is this a debate? You're a software guy as I recall. You made a statement about development vs. support costs. I'm just asking for an explanation that ties it to DAZ and Carrara. How are the post-development support costs greater than the development costs? Not a debate, a simple question.

OK. First, the amounts thrown around for development costs at most places are grossly overblown. Even Microsoft has a small core team that works on Windows. IBM's OS/2 team was small.

Most small to mid-size companies have 1-2 people working on a software project, and most times these coders are spread across multiple projects. But, for the sake of this discussion, we'll presume that the devel staff is dedicated only to one project. So your gross developer cost is usually <$100,000 per year unless you have REALLY well paid programmers. Most coders I know make significantly less than 100K per year in salary. Electricity, machines, development software and other Capital expenditures for the first year MIGHT reach 20K if you're in a generous mood. Maintenance costs can range from 0 to a couple of thousand depending on software licenses.</p>

Once the software is released, most organizations have to staff the support with at least 2 people. Usually, the development staff will play a part in this for small companies. The costs for communications, support personnel salaries, advertising, sales calls, returns, etc will quickly overtake the costs of the development side on a year per year basis. If the product is moderately successful, then the support costs will mushroom beyond the development costs almost immediately.

Kendall

edited December 1969

This is on topic - Does Genesis work in .132, which I downloaded a few hours ago? It (.132) is not the version referred to in the title of this thread. What happened to the newer versions?

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

Frank, could you please explain where you think the civility was being lost? It's difficult to know where you want to direct the discussion. Someone made a statement, I asked for clarification.

Or maybe you're referring to something else?

Thanks.

edited December 1969

Kendall, if you look at the latest Carrara splash screen, you'll see that there are approximately 20 people credited with either developing or providing QA for Carrara. And that's just the software folks.

Again, I'm not sure from your reply how you are saying that DAZ spends more on support than on development, but honestly it doesn't matter. Apparently this line of discussion is off limits or something, so I'll drop it.

edited December 1969

I believe Genesis works in .132 :cheese:

• rk66rk66 Posts: 438
    edited December 1969

@de3an

Thanks for clarification.

rk.

edited December 1969

Kendall, if you look at the latest Carrara splash screen, you'll see that there are approximately 20 people credited with either developing or providing QA for Carrara. And that's just the software folks.

Again, I'm not sure from your reply how you are saying that DAZ spends more on support than on development, but honestly it doesn't matter. Apparently this line of discussion is off limits or something, so I'll drop it.

I can't speak to DAZ's specific situation as I don't have their budget numbers. However, I do know the numbers of other well known software companies, as well as the numbers of those that I support. The data support my assertion.

My original point, and to get this back on topic with the original post I replied to, is that if DAZ was looking to reduce costs related to Carrara they wouldn't be pushing it.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Kendall, I honestly felt you raised an interesting point about software development vs. support costs in general. And I really was unaware of that, but on reflection it is pretty interesting. Sounds like you felt a little defensive when I challenged you a bit, but I was really interested in discussing the issue.

And yeah, I can see that with some software companies who spend a lot of time on support (y'know, answering phone calls and emails to help users), I just didn't see how that applied to DAZ.

Again, no need to get defensive or feel attacked. Even if it doesn't apply to DAZ it's a good point.

edited December 1969

Kendall, I honestly felt you raised an interesting point about software development vs. support costs in general. And I really was unaware of that, but on reflection it is pretty interesting. Sounds like you felt a little defensive when I challenged you a bit, but I was really interested in discussing the issue.

And yeah, I can see that with some software companies who spend a lot of time on support (y'know, answering phone calls and emails to help users), I just didn't see how that applied to DAZ.

Again, no need to get defensive or feel attacked. Even if it doesn't apply to DAZ it's a good point.

I'm sorry if I came across that way. That is not what was intended. I was just trying to be factual. Actually, it is a very interesting topic, and one that many, many papers and dissertations have been written on. There are whole armies of Actuaries trying to develop metrics just for that. Unfortunately, it is not germane to this particular thread.

Back to coding...

Kendall

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

Frank, could you please explain where you think the civility was being lost? It's difficult to know where you want to direct the discussion. Someone made a statement, I asked for clarification.

Or maybe you're referring to something else?

Thanks.

Agreed. I don't see anything to get bent out of shape about in this discussion.

I'm going to guess that list is cumulative. I'd say anyone who has ever worked on development or QA gets credit. At least, they should.

This discussion has been closed.