October Carrara Challenge WIP Thread: Create a pulp magazine cover with Chills, Thrills, & Carrara S

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Here's a close-up of the teeth. I'm not going to be nearly this close for the final render. I may work on a procedural for the skull itself, or I may paint it. Kind of depends on my free time, as I need to work on the rust.

teeth_sample.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 599K
  • d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited October 2014

I'm going with the Yatoon plugin, I didn't care for the look of the Non Photorealistic settings for what I'm trying to create, I did do a few eaxamples.

Here is the Wiki on the plug-in https://bitbucket.org/zgock/yatoon/wiki/Tutorial

I have here 4 renders as example on how the different settings looked.

I'm still tweaking the yatoon settings, once I have them dialed in I will post those settings.

Ytoon-NonReal.jpg
    480 x 640 - 92K
    Ytoon.jpg
    480 x 640 - 47K
    straight_Non_Photo.jpg
    480 x 640 - 89K
    Straight.jpg
    480 x 640 - 46K
    Post edited by d-j-o on
    edited December 1969

Here's a close-up of the teeth. I'm not going to be nearly this close for the final render. I may work on a procedural for the skull itself, or I may paint it. Kind of depends on my free time, as I need to work on the rust.

That's real good looking, what brush did you use? Also are you using multiple texture layers in the painting room, or just on one?

edited December 1969

Here is my final yatoon look and settings. I turned the scene's ambient setting down to 4%. and then added the shader to all the materials, it is a lighting model in the top shader.

GlobalShaderSettings.jpg
    1387 x 401 - 82K
    YtoonFinal.jpg
    480 x 640 - 26K
    scene_settings-1.jpg
    248 x 857 - 59K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,349
    edited December 1969

EP & Kashyyyk

Nice work !!!!!!!!!

Everyone else:-

Anyone looking for a Post-work result should check out FotoSketcher, it has a whole range of results you can choose from.

http://www.fotosketcher.com/

Still thinking about my entry, hope to get started at the end of this week, currently got a building I am working on, may include it as part of my entry.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited October 2014

Thanks for the link, Bunyip. Nice work on the teeth, EP. Kashyyyk, your scene is coming along nicely. Thanks for the comparison picks of YAtoon and NPR.

Of course, any pulp cover with a Cyclops Alien Dude needs a space-amazon to put him in his place. Similar steps to creating the Cyclops, I loaded my generic female dummy and did some editing. It is similar to cyclops so I will just make a couple of observations.

1) I model some of the clothes as part of the same vertex object as the figure. Separate polymeshes, but in the same instance, if that makes sense. In some cases I delete the polygons underneath the clothes and in others I make a shading domain underneath. Either way, relatively easy to minimize poke through.

2) In this case, I used smooth/convert on the female figure. That has made the mesh more dense than a typical low poly figure. Don't typically do that.

3) It is a good idea to select all of the polygons and create a morph. You need an existing morph in order to use the "morph in animation mode" feature.

Her gloves, shoes, blouse, and skirt are part of the same instance as the figure so no need to use some sort of "fit to." It is all attached to the skeleton at the same time as the figure. The helmet is a prop parented to the head.

I've attached a pic of the mesh, the assemble room, and a toon render. I'm not sure what I am going to do about the hair and eyes until I decide what output renderer I will use. Also, will the eyes be needed for the expression? The eyes might be covered by a viser, but it depends if her head will be turned toward the cyclops or to the camera.

spacegirl_toon.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 63K
    spacegirl.JPG
    1308 x 825 - 91K
    spacegirl_mesh.JPG
    1102 x 989 - 92K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Thanks for the link, Bunyip. Nice work on the teeth, EP. Kashyyyk, your scene is coming along nicely. Thanks for the comparison picks of YAtoon and NPR.

Of course, any pulp cover with a Cyclops Alien Dude needs a space-amazon to put him in his place. Similar steps to creating the Cyclops, I loaded my generic female dummy and did some editing. It is similar to cyclops so I will just make a couple of observations.

Hello Diomede64

I missed your ET Cyclops on page 4, with your Amazon it looks like your scene is going to be 1950's GROOOVY !!!!!!!
    Also looks like there's lots more fun in making morphs in Carrara then what I realized.
    Can't wait until I get my building project done so I can get stuck into this one !!!!!!

edited October 2014

Question about the render output from Carrara:-

Is it possible to do a multi-pass render of a scene, so that you can get 2 or 3 effects, then merge the results ?

Can Carrara merge renders in the same way as PSP/Adobe paint packages, or does the renders need to be imported
    into the persons favorite graphics program for the final post-work results ?

Just wondering as I would like to see how the Toon effect merges over the top of a normal render.
    For example the normal render as the background image, then the Toon render over the top at about 35% transperancy.

I did a quick overlay with Kahyyyk's excellent work (My apologies if Kashyyyk feels I have slandered/stolen/hacked his work in any way).
    The reason I was thinking about this was to find a way that Carrara could get the same sort of results as FotoSketcher.
    Lots of options when I look at but I don't have the Carrara depth of knowledge yet !!!!!!
    The Photoreal is the background image set at 100%.
    The YToon is on top/overlaid and at 35% transperancy.

Picture is Kashyyyk's

Straight100percYtoon35perc.png
    480 x 640 - 278K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

YAToon Help please!

I downloaded the zip thanks to Carrara Cafe, but the directions are obviously a translation. So I went into the zip for the C 8.5 64-bit and copied these files to EXTENSIONS folder.

Checker.dat
    Checker.mcx
    Checker.txt
    ColorBalance.dat
    ColorBalance.mcx
    ColorBalance.txt
    SimpleLightingModel.dat
    SimpleLightingModel.mcx
    SimpleLightingModel.txt

I looked in the other zips in the download and they have images/icons etc Am I supposed to get files from those zips as well?

Also, I looked at the tut in Kashykk's post on Wiki and shows under How To Use the choices that should be in the Top Shader when you click on it. I only have YetAnotherToon and NOT the YaToon2 Lighting Model. It's not showing up. Over in Effects, I do have the Line Filter.

Haven't tried to use anything yet... just trying to get the tool installed...and getting my work done so I can work on an entry!

Cheers,

:-/ Silene

edited December 1969

SileneUK said:
    YAToon Help please!

I downloaded the zip thanks to Carrara Cafe, but the directions are obviously a translation. So I went into the zip for the C 8.5 64-bit and copied these files to EXTENSIONS folder.

Checker.dat
    Checker.mcx
    Checker.txt
    ColorBalance.dat
    ColorBalance.mcx
    ColorBalance.txt
    SimpleLightingModel.dat
    SimpleLightingModel.mcx
    SimpleLightingModel.txt

I looked in the other zips in the download and they have images/icons etc Am I supposed to get files from those zips as well?

Also, I looked at the tut in Kashykk's post on Wiki and shows under How To Use the choices that should be in the Top Shader when you click on it. I only have YetAnotherToon and NOT the YaToon2 Lighting Model. It's not showing up. Over in Effects, I do have the Line Filter.

Haven't tried to use anything yet... just trying to get the tool installed...and getting my work done so I can work on an entry!

Cheers,

:-/ Silene

at https://bitbucket.org/zgock/yatoon/downloads Download either YAToon200Alpha4Winx86.zip or YAToon200Alpha4Winx64.zip depending on your windows computer. There are 3 files in there, drag them into your Carrara/extensions folder. Restart Carrara and you should be good to go. The older plug in versions don't work in 8.5

Bunyip02- Go ahead and play with those images. Your results are quite good and an interesting idea to try out.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited October 2014

kashyyyk said:

at https://bitbucket.org/zgock/yatoon/downloads Download either YAToon200Alpha4Winx86.zip or YAToon200Alpha4Winx64.zip depending on your windows computer. There are 3 files in there, drag them into your Carrara/extensions folder. Restart Carrara and you should be good to go. The older plug in versions don't work in 8.5

OK... did that and will start up Carrara shortly and have a go. Looks very straightforward to me. I didn't know the Carrara Cafe download wasn't the right one.

DIFFERENT PROBLEM!

Nevermind.... found some other bits to work with!

:) Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:

That's real good looking, what brush did you use? Also are you using multiple texture layers in the painting room, or just on one?

Hi Kashyyyk.

I thought about using layers, but instead I just painted over one layer to simplify the process. I did paint a separate grayscale bump map to use. So two maps- One color and one grayscale.

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited October 2014

OK, I'm in. This Challenge is just too good to pass up. :)

I've already started modeling different elements in Silo (sorry, I've just never been able to get comfortable with Carrara's modeler). I'll post some images when I get a chance. I'm going for a forties pulp look. It's going to be a 'hero saves ice queen (jungle queen, space queen, or whatever queen)' sort of thing.

I plan to model in Silo, rig in Poser and bring into Carrara for shaders, effects, scene work and rendering.

I've got some DCG plugins I'm itching to play with as well as one or two of Inagoni's.

And just as aside...headwax is evil. ;-)

Post edited by booksbydavid on
    edited December 1969

And just as aside...headwax is evil. ;-)

What?!? More than me? Now I am depressed!

edited October 2014

Bunyip02 said:
    Question about the render output from Carrara:-

Is it possible to do a multi-pass render of a scene, so that you can get 2 or 3 effects, then merge the results ?

Can Carrara merge renders in the same way as PSP/Adobe paint packages, or does the renders need to be imported
    into the persons favorite graphics program for the final post-work results ?

Just wondering as I would like to see how the Toon effect merges over the top of a normal render.
    For example the normal render as the background image, then the Toon render over the top at about 35% transperancy.

I did a quick overlay with Kahyyyk's excellent work (My apologies if Kashyyyk feels I have slandered/stolen/hacked his work in any way).
    The reason I was thinking about this was to find a way that Carrara could get the same sort of results as FotoSketcher.
    Lots of options when I look at but I don't have the Carrara depth of knowledge yet !!!!!!
    The Photoreal is the background image set at 100%.
    The YToon is on top/overlaid and at 35% transperancy.

Picture is Kashyyyk's

If you have Carrara Pro, you should have the multi-pass options in the Render Room. There's all sorts of them there. The depth pass won't see dynamic hair, for instance, but the Volume Primitive pass will. You can also render with an alpha channel if the image format you're using supports it, such as .tiff, .png, Photoshop etc.

Picture_1.png
    608 x 815 - 170K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Here's some more progress on the skull. I think I like the procedural shader for the actual skull, so I'll stick with that.

sample_skull.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 698K
    edited December 1969

Here's one of the things I'm rusting up for this challenge. I only have the helmet done at the moment. I'll post my shader tree for the rusty metal bits later.

helmet_test.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 758K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Holy crap EP that looks amazing! I already love your idea for this one, even if I can't see the whole scope of it yet. :)

edited October 2014

Thanks Jon. I know what I want for the subject of the scene, but I'm not sure quite what the environment will be. I keep going back and forth.

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Wow ! Hi everibody.
    I saw fantastic wips in this challege. that’s contest is realy awesome and of course thank to Sukyl for hosting this callenge, Daz and the incredible sponsor.
    My scene for this contest is inside a laboratory.
    I made it all in carrara 8 pro using plane, primitives and vertex object.
    (I'm still working on metal rust texture... )
    here my preliminary scene and models :)

lab3.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 224K
    lab2.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 267K
    lab1.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 248K
    edited December 1969

preliminary materials test render

lab4.jpg
    1050 x 1549 - 527K
    edited December 1969

Pimpy, I'm glad you decided to participate. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far!

edited December 1969

Pimpy, I'm glad you decided to participate. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far!

Thanks EP, your skull is just as interesting ...
    I am very happy to participate and I hope to finish in time because I have a project to complete, and one that will start in the next few days.

• NetWorthyNetWorthy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Seeing all the fantastic stuff in here is a bit intimidating - and I'm not sure if I have the time to finish by submission time - but the subject is SOOOO much FUN. So here I am. I'm still working on the total concept, but for sure it MUST have a retro spaceship! So here are the first couple of images. This is the second object I've modeled in Carrara (I did two other dead simple things in another product) so this is a bit of a challenge for me. As you can see, I used the vertex modeler. I wanted the retro "bulbous" look so I put together the rough shape with the lathe tool. I thickened a polyline plane to create the fins. I will add a bit more detail later, then the "fun" stuff of rigging - UGH!

model1-01.jpg
    1000 x 700 - 135K
    scrncap1-02.jpg
    1152 x 625 - 195K
    scrncap1-01.jpg
    1152 x 625 - 146K
    edited December 1969

NetWorthy said:
    Seeing all the fantastic stuff in here is a bit intimidating - and I'm not sure if I have the time to finish by submission time - but the subject is SOOOO much FUN. So here I am. I'm still working on the total concept, but for sure it MUST have a retro spaceship! So here are the first couple of images. This is the second object I've modeled in Carrara (I did two other dead simple things in another product) so this is a bit of a challenge for me. As you can see, I used the vertex modeler. I wanted the retro "bulbous" look so I put together the rough shape with the lathe tool. I thickened a polyline plane to create the fins. I will add a bit more detail later, then the "fun" stuff of rigging - UGH!

Glad to have join us, even if you aren't able to finish by the deadline. I hope you do of course, but in the meantime, have fun!

Just a question. What is it you want to rig on the craft? There may be other ways depending on what you want to do.

edited October 2014

Pimpy and Networthy. Wow! Welcome aboard, and just wow. Wonderful start. Networthy, I can see Buster Crabbe stepping out of the rocket. Nice modeling job, Pimpy.

EP - that is a great suit for the skeleton. I like what I see so far.

My doodling stage for this first entry is starting to gel into a more solid idea. Here is a WIP with my major scene elements. I will most likely add a few minor props, like furniture, walls, etc., but the main stuff is the title, the figures, the pocket knife, and the falcon (or as it stands now, the chicken). So here it is. My mechanical doohickey is a pocket knife made in the spline modeler. My rust shader will be applied to the inner falcon revealed by removing a chip from the exterior of the black falcon. My main story title and cover will be for....

The Mercury's Falcon

... and I need another story title or two.

Edit - I reserve the right to chuck it all and start over from scratch.

falcon_wip_stick_figure.jpg
    600 x 800 - 161K
    mercury_falcon_wip_elements.jpg
    480 x 640 - 27K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited October 2014

NetWorthy, I forgot to add that I think you've got the future-retro look down pat for your ship.

edited December 1969

NetWorthy said:

Glad to have join us, even if you aren't able to finish by the deadline. I hope you do of course, but in the meantime, have fun!

Just a question. What is it you want to rig on the craft? There may be other ways depending on what you want to do.

If the moving parts are mechanical, remember that you can use movement constraints rather than rigging with bones.

• NetWorthyNetWorthy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm thinking I want to create one or more tex maps with a few details including insignia etc. Getting the stuff to wrap precisely is a bear, the UV tools in Carrara are not so easy to use. Once I get the thing wrapped the way I want it, my intent is to use a layered Carrara shader to add the rust ON TOP of the maps. That's the theory anyway LOL!

edited December 1969

NetWorthy said:
    I'm thinking I want to create one or more tex maps with a few details including insignia etc. Getting the stuff to wrap precisely is a bear, the UV tools in Carrara are not so easy to use. Once I get the thing wrapped the way I want it, my intent is to use a layered Carrara shader to add the rust ON TOP of the maps. That's the theory anyway LOL!

Sorry. I thought you meant rigging as in adding bones for the purposes of posing the ship, such as landing gear, hatches, etc.