October Carrara Challenge WIP Thread: Create a pulp magazine cover with Chills, Thrills, & Carrara S

Comments

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

I am definitely going to have to go back through all the rust related posts in this thread when I come to that part of my image. A lot of useful info here. Also, need to take another look at Carrara's text editor. Some pretty cool stuff there.

Anyway, here's the hero of my project. I used another merchant resource and enhanced it a bit with Carrara. I've been doing a lot of experimenting lately with Carrara and skin. I've learned that you can do amazing things to skin with Carrara, Fun stuff.

I also textured the hero's outfit. I used Carrara's native shaders as well as DCG's Shader Ops and Enhance:C. It's not perfect, but I won't know how everything is going to look until I get the scene set up and lit.

hero_texture_wip.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 32K
    hero_skin.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 32K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I've had my first tentative play in the terrain editor. What I wanted was basically a round hill with a rutted cart track going around it and over the top. I think I've come reasonably close to that.

The biggest problem when it comes to getting a round hill is the fact that the terrain profile is basically square (or oblong), so I was getting a lot of suspiciously square looking hills from the presets.. In the end I exported the preset that I most liked as a png file, and edited it in Photoshop Elements, before importing it back into Carrara. I made the track in Photoshop simply by drawing the ruts on a separate layer and then blending it via the Darken function.

The brush size was simply a matter of dividing the width of the terrain (500ft) by the width of the map (257) and scaling. I inverted the rut layer and saved that out as a separate image, since I'll want to use that as a mask in the shader.

For the shader, I wanted the terrain to be basically grass except for the tracks, which I wanted as dirt. I figured out the basics of how to do it by looking at the terrain shader from Howie Farkes's Country Lane. I'm using a texture map I built from FilterForge as a basic "stony path" (I used the same map as a river bed in another project), and then blending it with a second copy of the same texture, tinted with a gradient. The mask I built from the ruts in Photoshop determines which areas get the tinted or untainted versions. It took several iterations to get the tile scaling right.

The test render has my tower from last month simply as an indicator of scale. It's not part of the final project.

Terrain_Map.png
    257 x 257 - 43K
    Shader_Mask.png
    257 x 257 - 29K
    TerrainTest.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 656K
    Screen_Shot_2014-10-09_at_22.19_.37_.png
    1924 x 904 - 421K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited October 2014

Started planning out my cover layout tonight. I'm doing a little bit of a role reversal from the period; I'm going to have a fully dressed heroic V4 and a scantily clad, chained up M4. After all, we're making a period cover, but it's not actually 1940 anymore. :)

I probably won't have time to do more until the weekend, but I'm hoping to get my rust shader and my scary attack robot done in the next couple days.

Cover-Layout.jpg
    1200 x 1680 - 405K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

SileneUK said:
    Managed to snatch an hour here and an hour there yesterday and got a lot done. I set material zones for everything in Silo, UV mapped in 3D Coat (which is super easy) and rigged everything in Poser. Everything is ready for Carrara, now.

I got my queen character's skin texture set. I used two different skin textures from a merchant resource I had and combined them using a multichannel mixer using DCG's Enhance:C plugin. I used Procedural Lock, one of DCG's Shaders Plus lighting models to keep the procedural shaders in place for posing. That one particular function has been very useful in my skin texture experiments. The only thing I'm not happy with is the eyes. I'll probably revisit them after I've gotten a bit more done.

I also tackled the queens' new clothes. All the shader work done in Carrara. There are a few elements I'm not particularly thrilled with, but it was late when I finished and I just couldn't focus. The black looking bands on the arms and head dress are a metal shader that should show more green. They need some environment to reflect.

I like your green skin on the model you created.... wished I'd known you were working on this when I was struggling with my character for a previous project. Oh well... will save for the future.

VARSEL... that is really cool!

:) Silene

Here's a step further.

To try and make a 3D model of the 2D background used in the comp I made in an earlier post.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47148/P105

I made a terrain and shaded it with the rust shader to simulate tundra plant-life. Added some trees from Forest Elements, then put in foothills and mountains with Carrara presets morphed and re-textured. Hope to do more before Sunday when my work will come rolling in that has to be done before I go... still don't know if I will make the deadline but having fun anyways.

Have to do the fancy zapper tool next!

Oh...here's the font-work done in Illustrator as I am more comfortable with that. Hmmmm.... that gradient is a bit dull, will have to sort that.

That Mammoth is really nice.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

wow.. up to 11 pages already...

Reading thru the pages this morning and it's been great..

I have nuthin' yet but getting some inspiration from these WiPs ;-)

edited December 1969

My plans for the night fell through, so I worked on my rust shader. My idea of doing something with the terrain shaders turned out to be harder than I thought, so I'll have to go back to that when I have more time.

Instead I did a multi-channel mixer. Source 1 is just a slightly modified version of the Basic Dull Metal shader that came with Cararra (I just darkened the color a little bit and upped the reflection, which you can't see at all in this test render). Source 2 is the rust. It's an orange and an orangish brown mixed using a cellular function. The shininess is turned almost all the way off on the rust and there's a little bit of a bump to it, generated using the same cellular function that is mixing the colors.

The rust and the base metal are mixed using a marble function.

Oh, I also made the wall the rust is on, but I'm not sure if I'm going to use that in my render yet.

Mark

RustTest-1.jpg
    1474 x 2000 - 205K
    RustShaderSetup.jpg
    1204 x 569 - 116K
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited October 2014

Dang .... some awesome ideas and WIP's here already!

I've been trying to come up with a good idea without much luck. Most of the time I have about as much creativity as a rock - a large one that can't be easily moved.

Well here is the start of what will hopefully be my entry. This will be the main character for my cover story. The second image is just everything kind of roughed together, the first one is after fixing poke through and the mats/shaders on the cloths. I'm hoping for a sort of steam punk, dinosaur, time machine theme, or something sort of close in some way, maybe.

The figure is based on V6/G6, the boots are from Lady Blaze for Genesis, and the rest of the clothing is from a V4 outfit. Now all I have to do is put the rest of the scene together, get a dino in it, make 2 things using Carrara, figure out what needs a rust shader, and make or put some sort of mechanical doohickey in it. Hmmm..... now I'm tired from thinking about it.

start.jpg
    900 x 1013 - 216K
    start2.jpg
    900 x 1013 - 179K
    Post edited by DustRider on
    edited December 1969

I actually made some progress (but should have been sleeping). The time machine is a bit hard to see, but other than that, I really like the lighting. I think I'll try doing the text with Carrara 3D text (I've only use it once in all these years). Still need to get the rust shader. and probably some sort of mechanical doohickey, since the time machine probably won't quality. Also need to work on dino's teeth just a tad.

Oh, I'm using Octane for rendering.

start3.png
    1082 x 1400 - 2M
    Scene_setup1.JPG
    1198 x 757 - 221K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

well, it's silly to try and say how wonderful everyone's work is and try and isolate people.
    but I must say it's good to see old and new faces here.
    and the wips are amazing

here's my hat in the ring
    sorry dustrider - I have a dragon thingy too !!
    one pre post, one post

postR.jpg
    1389 x 2000 - 613K
    nopost.jpg
    1389 x 2000 - 396K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

I am glad we can have two entries.

OK, so one of mine will be an alien biker dude on a rusty robo flying metal doohickey with a woman slung over his shoulder. Comic alien dude and silly amazon female works well for that.

and

For the other, I am determined to pay tribute to the maltese falcon somehow. It just didn't feel right with the comic alien dude and the silly space amazon. I think I want the detective and femme fatale to look less comic and less silly. The detective needs to look more like a business person, even if alien and futuristic. And I will want the femme fatale in a more 40s glamorous look, even if alien and futuristic.

Here is my start on creating a detective character. I haven't uvmapped it yet but when I do I will texture the suit with pinstripes. Face will need to be molded.

@ Headwax - amazing as always. Glad you will have time this month. Looks fantastic, but why does the snot glow? Just kidding.

mesh_rendered.JPG
    1280 x 696 - 65K
    mesh_in_suit.JPG
    1419 x 846 - 104K
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Easy tips for apply a single texture without export your model in obj format (in this way you can move and change pose at your model how do you prefere)

Central scene – How I made it...

I added M4 in the center of my scene and Gorilla LE ( preset in Carrara)
    Applied the same pose to each model ( M4 position works well with Gorilla) and adjust it to have one inside the other (M4 disappare into Gorilla)
    Select the Gorilla and select on “model”.
    In model room select your model and on “shading domain” create a new texture (see image 1 – I let the “texure 16” ). Now Gorilla have only one texture!

Click on texture room ( now if you want is possible delete all the other Gorilla texture) and select “texture 16”. Apply the new texture and Gorilla appare with only one texture.

central_scene_preview.jpg
    1050 x 1549 - 956K
    gorilla2.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 898K
    gorilla1.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 253K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Scale wasn't right after all, so it needed some adjusting & more tweaking.

RRTest.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 654K
    RRTest0.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 654K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,349
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    I actually made some progress (but should have been sleeping). The time machine is a bit hard to see, but other than that, I really like the lighting. I think I'll try doing the text with Carrara 3D text (I've only use it once in all these years). Still need to get the rust shader. and probably some sort of mechanical doohickey, since the time machine probably won't quality. Also need to work on dino's teeth just a tad.

Hello Dustrider

Would another color such as Copper or some other metal look which makes the time machine look like it's landed in a prehistoric scene ?
    I was thinking that it needs to stand out a little bit from the scene but not over-power it as well.

In the original Time-Machine story he lands in a future that has gone to ruin (the story is an early example of a Dying Earth subgenre),
    so you could include something rusty along those lines. Would a rusty Mech that has the jungle growing through it that also compares in
    size with the Dragon/T-Rex figure work with your scene ? Or a very rusty metallic very ruined building with the jungle growing through it ?

Everyone keep up the great work !!!!!!!

edited December 1969

Here is a bit more detailed post about the process used for fixing the poke through, more info on the shaders for the cloths and the hair, and details on making the G2F character.

The Character
    The character was designed in DAZ Studio (DS) then saved as a character preset for use in both DS and Carrara (with G2F base UV's). She is a custom G2F figure based off of V6 (100%) with a touch of G6, then a lot of additional morphs added from the Evolution Morph Pack, the Genesis 2 Face Morph Resource Kits, and Shape Shift for Genesis 2 Female. The skin texture set is a merchant resource for V4 (from Rendo) that the maker has given permission for the conversion to Genesis/Genesis 2 UV sets. I converted the texture set from V4 UV's to G2F UV's using Blacksmith 3D. I then fixed/improved the positioning of the lips on the texture set, and removed most of the baked in shadows/highlights using GIMP. The materials were converted to Octane materials, and the mix material/node was use the create a SSS shader set with a combination of Glossy and Diffuse octane materials/nodes (a fairly common way to set up SSS for skin shaders in Octane). The eye textures were created using photoshop (CS2) and a V6 merchant resource from here. For the eye materials I added a bit more specularity to the iris, pupil and cornea, and used a modified clear glass shader for the eye reflection material.

The Materials:
    All texture sampling was changed from "Fast Mip Map" to "Sampling" to ensure the best detail in the materials for both the cloths and hair. The materials were then converted to Octane materials (which gives you the ability to modify the shader nodes specific to Octane, without changing the Carrara native renderer shaders).

Then for the hair, I used the gray scale image that was used in the specular channel/node as a bump map (there was no bump map in the original Carrara material). The hair used is Desideria Hair for G2F - autofit left the top of the figures head poking through the hair. This was fixed by using the adjustment morphs included with the hair.

The clothing is from the Riae Outfit for V4. As you can see in the before image, the materials come into Carrara/Octane rather flat, dull, and lifeless. The Mats/Shaders for this outfit were rather easy to fix. For everything but the metal bits I just converted specular from "RGB Color" value to "Gray Scale Color" which gives a simple 0-1 slider scale. I then set the specular to .0.025 and adjusted the roughness to 0.4 to give a nice even seen to the leather. For the metal I just adjusted the specular RGB Color to a lighter tan-ish color to improve the brass/gold highlights.

Poke Through
    The poke through on the arms was removed using Poke Away 2 morphs. I used negative morph values for all the fixes, which adjust/morph the clothing (positive values morph the figure). For the arms I used the upper forearm and inside elbow morphs/fixes.

The breasts were a little more complicated due to the default (natural) shape of the breasts with Genesis compared to V4. First I did some adjustment on the breast positions using the "Breasts Hang Forward", "Breasts Up", and "Cleavage" morphs to give a more realistic position for the clothing being used. You can easily see the improvement in positioning in the before and after images below. These simple adjustments helped with the poke through a great deal, but I still needed to use a couple Poke Away 2 morphs along with a couple of morphs from the "Clothing Breast Fixes For Genesis 2 Female" product available from here.

Sorry for focusing on the breasts so much :red: but they typically are a problem area when using Genesis or G2F in Carrara. I thought it would be good to mention everything I did so others may benefit from my experiences.

There were also some minor issues with the leg bands. There was some poke through on the outer thighs, along with a rather large gap between the inner thighs and the leg band. These were all fixed using a combination of adjustment morphs the come with the shorts and using Poke Away 2. The boots (designed for Genesis "1") had no fitting problems.

If you read all this your probably saying to yourself "That sure is a lot of work just to fit cloths on a figure that has an autofit function". Well, yes, it is if you expect autofit to work perfectly every time you use it, but even in DS you often need to tweak things to get them to fit the more extreme, non-standard shapes (which this character sort of is). It's really no more difficult than using V4, and actually easier than using V4 with the less common (or custom) morphs. I also really like the results I get with Genesis and G2F!!

That pretty much covers 90% or so of what I did to create my protagonist character. In my next post I'll give more info on the scene set up.

Before-After1.jpg
    900 x 1013 - 204K
    edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    dustrider said:

Hello Dustrider

Would another color such as Copper or some other metal look which makes the time machine look like it's landed in a prehistoric scene ?
    I was thinking that it needs to stand out a little bit from the scene but not over-power it as well.

In the original Time-Machine story he lands in a future that has gone to ruin (the story is an early example of a Dying Earth subgenre),
    so you could include something rusty along those lines. Would a rusty Mech that has the jungle growing through it that also compares in
    size with the Dragon/T-Rex figure work with your scene ? Or a very rusty metallic very ruined building with the jungle growing through it ?

Everyone keep up the great work !!!!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions Bunyip, it gives me a few more ideas to ponder! I'm definitely not done with the time machine yet. Like you mention, the key is making it visible, but not overpowering. It looked pretty good until I moved the camera to get a better view of the girl and the Allosaurus.

Off to do more tweaking and thinking - Thanks again!

• sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited December 1969

Awesome work everyone! Looking at this WIP thread is kind of like a trip to the Grand Canyon, after a while you get scenic overload because everywhere you look is so amazing!

My vacation starts today and I'm about to fire up Carrara, so I hope to get caught up with my scene and WIPs.

• sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited October 2014

pimpy said:
    Easy tips for apply a single texture without export your model in obj format (in this way you can move and change pose at your model how do you prefere)

Applied the same pose to each model ( M4 position works well with Gorilla) and adjust it to have one inside the other (M4 disappare into Gorilla)
    In model room select your model and on “shading domain” create a new texture (see image 1 – I let the “texure 16” ). Now Gorilla have only one texture!

Click on texture room ( now if you want is possible delete all the other Gorilla texture) and select “texture 16”. Apply the new texture and Gorilla appare with only one texture.

pimpy I'm losing sanity points on your shader it's so complex. I love it! Question, where do you apply the parametric mapping and what does it do?

Post edited by sukyL on
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited October 2014

sukyL said:
    pimpy said:

pimpy I'm losing sanity points on your shader it's so complex. I love it! Question, where do you apply the parametric mapping and what does it do?

Hi sukyl,
    ...exatly I don't know how it works but I love it too! Btw you dont must change parametric mapping. When you create a new texture in model room Carrara convert c all the old texture into the new one.
    in this case I changed the original shader founded some times ago on CarraraCafe in the Mark Bremmer's tutorial. Here you can found the fantastic tutorial and the free scene .car file
    http://carraracafe.com/tutorials/complex-lighting-tutorial-by-mark-bremmer/

Post edited by pimpy on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited October 2014

Tim_A said:
    Scale wasn't right after all, so it needed some adjusting & more tweaking.

What I did to get the ruts roughly scaled correctly for my Fantasy Village Terrain was to use the 3D paint tool to essentially do what you did in PS Elements. First, I loaded the object that was close to the size of the ruts, then I applied the default gray shader to the terrain, then selected the terrain, and then the 3D paint tool. I decided to create a new shader, and chose white as the background color and black as the brush color. I then painted the ruts, exited the paint mode and saved the scene, which saves the painted map. I then applied my terrain shader, added a new terrain layer and used the black and white map I had painted as a distribution map. I inverted the color in PS, but you could do that in Carrara as well. I then created a dirt looking shader.

To force the image map into the distribution slot, I created a multi-channel mixer below it, and loaded the image map into the color channel, copied it, and pasted it into the distribution channel.

Isometric_top.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 4M
    Picture_2.png
    820 x 519 - 115K
    Picture_1.png
    592 x 411 - 345K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited October 2014

I got started on my robot, hopefully I can finish it tomorrow, but still lots to do. The textures are in need of some adjustment still. The two glass pieces to the right will be sliding doors that go over the control panel in the center of the chest. I deliberately went low poly and mostly creased edges to make it more artificial looking and am kind of loving how it's coming out so far.

I'm dreading rigging those arms though - I've got some tutorials on how to do it, but have never tried before. I need to figure out how to model the grippers/claws for the ends first though.

Robot_Test_1.jpg
    1333 x 1000 - 40K
    Robot_Part1.JPG
    1876 x 974 - 202K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited October 2014

Thanks for the explanation, EP.

For my alien biker dude entry, I have constructed a stylized flying machine. It is a combination of a vertex object and some primitives. I wanted to apply my rust shader (see prior posts for methodolody) to some places where the bike chassis comes in contact with moveable parts such as the steering column, wings, and the underside of the landing struts.

- constructed chassis in vertex modeler, with uvmaps and shading domains, and placed primitives and then grouped vehicle
    - selected chassis and activated the 3D paint tool
    - created a black map in the color channel applying to all shading domains
    - used airbrush tool with white color, reduced size of paint brush tip
    - painted areas where the chassis meets the primitives, and at the joints with wings and undersides
    - saved out the paint map file
    - created layers list for shader, put painted metal in main shader, rust shader in second layer, used painted map as the opacity mask

rust_mask_render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 17K
    spacebike_rust_opacity_map.JPG
    1540 x 727 - 119K
    rust_mask_2.JPG
    1100 x 837 - 88K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

Here I'm working on my logo.

Using textures in my shaders, I went for a rusty metal frame with wood lettering. I created screw heads and added them around the letters. I created the logo using text, then converting to vertice editor. I made the DAZ letters larger and then turned each letter sideways a bit to see the depth.

log3.jpg
    640 x 480 - 20K
    logote2.jpg
    620 x 472 - 52K
    logoscrew.jpg
    656 x 527 - 74K
    logote.jpg
    926 x 662 - 92K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

diomede64 - yes good question aabout t hat glow :)

here's a much around with lenses in carrara - you make a distorted lens and place it in front of the camera - likea fisheye

second image is th e plain jane

Doc2d.jpg
    1389 x 2000 - 427K
    Doc32.jpg
    1042 x 1368 - 335K
    edited October 2014

As promised a few days ago, here's the shader tree for one of my rusty metals. The others I use in the scene are variations on the same theme, just colored a bit differently or the effect is scaled up or down.

Basically, I started with a color gradient and added Fractal Noise. I then adjusted the noise to get the look I wanted, I then copied and pasted the noise into the Highlight, Bump and Reflection channels.

Picture_5.png
    838 x 577 - 417K
    Picture_4.png
    846 x 519 - 119K
    Picture_3.png
    849 x 527 - 105K
    Picture_2.png
    857 x 536 - 116K
    Picture_1.png
    843 x 522 - 82K
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Wow, Andrew! That's one amazing and horrifying cover! But why Cyrillics? :)

edited December 1969

Head Wax's cover is amazing. I went for the comic book cover look, his is definitely graphic novel.

Here are the images I used to create it. The bluse shaded was a straight render I used to darken the shadows to the Yatoons image, next I used the Yatoons and NPR, with the the NPR version as an overlay layer. Then I added the logo image and the rest of the text was done in photoshop

COVER_copy_fin.jpg
    1030 x 1373 - 260K
    COVER_copy.jpg
    1030 x 1373 - 152K
    COVER_YATOONjpg.jpg
    1030 x 1373 - 230K
    COVER_NPR.jpg
    1030 x 1373 - 174K
    COVER_SHADOW.jpg
    1030 x 1373 - 153K
    edited December 1969

Cool stuff!

Here's another element of my scene.

Picture_6.png
    982 x 754 - 334K
    edited October 2014

Okay, I give up! I'm a moron. I had intended to save my wrecked ship hull to my browser, then I went to the bathroom, closed the document and chose not to save as I wanted to paint it in my main scene. As hit the button confirming I wanted to close without saving, I realized I had not saved it to the browser! Son of a bitch! Aaarrrgghhhhh!!

And no. I didn't do incremental saves like I normally do, as I was in what I like to call the "zone." More like the moron zone.

edited December 1969

Okay, I give up! I'm a moron. I had intended to save my wrecked ship hull to my browser, then I went to the bathroom, closed the document and chose not to save as I wanted to paint it in my main scene. As hit the button confirming I wanted to close without saving, I realized I had not saved it to the browser! Son of a bitch! Aaarrrgghhhhh!!

And no. I didn't do incremental saves like I normally do, as I was in what I like to call the "zone." More like the moron zone.

Good thing I didn't have any liquids in my mouth before reading this ...... I definitely would have ruined my keyboard, and probably the computer as well!

Really, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss of work/data. But it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only person on the planet that knows better (because I've done similar things hundreds of times), but still loses hours of work by being too focused and forgetting to save, then getting distracted and performing some ill advised action, which right as the button gets clicked, I come to my senses and realize what I just did, but it's a few hundredths of a second TOO LATE!!

For me, the upside has always been that the second time (sometimes the third or fourth) things go much faster, and usually the end result is better.

edited December 1969

dustrider said:

Good thing I didn't have any liquids in my mouth before reading this ...... I definitely would have ruined my keyboard, and probably the computer as well!

Really, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss of work/data. But it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only person on the planet that knows better (because I've done similar things hundreds of times), but still loses hours of work by being too focused and forgetting to save, then getting distracted and performing some ill advised action, which right as the button gets clicked, I come to my senses and realize what I just did, but it's a few hundredths of a second TOO LATE!!

For me, the upside has always been that the second time (sometimes the third or fourth) things go much faster, and usually the end result is better.

Yeah. I will be fine. I just have to remember next time (HA!) not to be so stupid. Glad I didn't cause you a "noser," or spit-take. Those can be messy!