[Released] PARSIS: a fast particles system [commercial]

Comments

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382

Let me know, please, if you have the shaders and the tutorials of the package.

• Alberto said:

As far as I can see, shaders and video tutorials  are still missing.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,156

Hi Alvin,  I seen this come out in the store it grab my attention , it looks very interesting.  I already use your Fludios plugins with pretty good success & pretty happy with the results it makes. But I have a few questions before i buy it.

Are you planning making any expansion items for this kit , such as Dragon fire, lighting bolts,  particle explosions? or is this plugin capable of those effects already?

you had stated

• The sources (emitters) can be a point source, a blob, or any geometric node.
    • Forces and force fields to control the trajectories.

So what does this mean exactly?  can we control the particles individually so we can advance 1 particle at a time to simulate something like a baseball thrower? or a rocket flare or flame ejection? from a jet engine? that be cool.   I have never been disappointed with your plugins I have bought. that is why I ask so I know what to expect when using this.

I am not familiar with ArrayFire accelerator, how complicated is it to change out the textures or emissive textures in PARSIS, is it set up like a animated texture script that you place the textures in a folder and draw off that for the textures?

I read where you said we can add our own triangular billboards or any geometric objects as particles, Can we also add Volumetric-objects like clouds or flames or do they have to be solid? 

The Arrows flying over the wall is very impressive. could those arrows be replaces with something like rocks or snow balls something like that?  I am guessing this is pretty customizable from watching your demo. 

how large a scene can be rendered using this plugins does it take a lot of resources to render?  can we run the particles longer than 300 Keyframes

will it fit in dimensions of 1920 x1080 for hd animations.   That will be my primary use for this plugin.

I know I had a lot of questions . that is because I have been looking for a new particle system for my daz studio animation and i was very disappointed with SimTenero Particle Physics.

Thank you in advance for talking time to answer my questions

• RandWulfRandWulf Posts: 143

I can't find them -- not the shaders or the tutorials...

edited March 2021

CrimsonMagic said:

Alberto said:

As far as I can see, shaders and video tutorials  are still missing.

I've just reported this problem to DAZ.

Post edited by Alberto on
  • Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

Sigh. Another great product, anoter PA that is not only innovative but really supports his products... and DAZ is messing up the release best they could. 

Yeah -- I'm kind of baffled.  My serial number arrived this morning, installed it in DAZ Studio but there are no instructions, no tutorials, no engine setting node, no data folder...

Ivy said:

Hi Alvin,  I seen this come out in the store it grab my attention , it looks very interesting.  I already use your Fludios plugins with pretty good success & pretty happy with the results it makes. But I have a few questions before i buy it.

Are you planning making any expansion items for this kit , such as Dragon fire, lighting bolts,  particle explosions? or is this plugin capable of those effects already?

Hi, Ivy!

The plugin can do all of those, don't need an expansion. (However, for fire, is better Fluidos II)

Ivy said:

you had stated

So what does this mean exactly?  can we control the particles individually so we can advance 1 particle at a time to simulate something like a baseball thrower? or a rocket flare or flame ejection? from a jet engine? that be cool.   I have never been disappointed with your plugins I have bought. that is why I ask so I know what to expect when using this.

The particles are controlled as a group using the forces. However, it's possible to create (with the right settings) only one particle by a source (you can use as many sources as you wish).

The sources can be

1. A point source, that is all the particles start from a point in space.
    2. A blob, where the particles start from a spherical space.
    3. Any geometric node, where the particles start from the surface or the entire volume of any geometric node you wish: a primitive, a prop, figure, etc.

The force and forcefields works as in Fluidos.

Ivy said:

I am not familiar with ArrayFire accelerator, how complicated is it to change out the textures or emissive textures in PARSIS, is it set up like a animated texture script that you place the textures in a folder and draw off that for the textures?

The plugin uses ArrayFire in its engine, but the users don't deal with it. 

For billboard particles, the corresponding mesher has a set of surfaces (you choose the number) that you can customize. The emitted particles will be changing their texture as they will be aging (you decide the timing). Thus, the mesher will be assigning the texture for each particle according to its age.

For instances of geometric nodes, the mesher will have a set of copies of the nodes. The mesher will use these nodes to represent the particles according to its age. You only need to apply the desired shaders or materials to the copies. It has the advantage that the copies can be deformed and that'lll be reflectend in the particles representation. 

Ivy said:

I read where you said we can add our own triangular billboards or any geometric objects as particles, Can we also add Volumetric-objects like clouds or flames or do they have to be solid? 

Well, the plugin can work only with existing objects. If the volumetric object like clouds of flames are geometric objects, the plugin can managed them.

Ivy said:

The Arrows flying over the wall is very impressive. could those arrows be replaces with something like rocks or snow balls something like that?  I am guessing this is pretty customizable from watching your demo. 

Or course, anything object you want.

Ivy said:

how large a scene can be rendered using this plugins does it take a lot of resources to render?  can we run the particles longer than 300 Keyframes

You can run as many frames as you wish. The resources required to render depends on the number of particles and the type o representation (billboards or geometric nodes). In fact, is less consuming than Fluidos (and much faster).

Ivy said:

will it fit in dimensions of 1920 x1080 for hd animations.   That will be my primary use for this plugin.

Yes, it can be rendered in any dimensions as the renderer is able.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,991

The serial number arrived, and thanks to the PDF I was able to sent skulls blubbering up with just a few clicks. Very nice! I see some animated Magic sequences for the comic on the horizon.

Thank you for creating it!

*off to play some more with Parsis*

RandWulf said:

Yeah -- I'm kind of baffled.  My serial number arrived this morning, installed it in DAZ Studio but there are no instructions, no tutorials, no engine setting node, no data folder...

The manual is inside the folder where DAZ Studio is installed, that is:  /Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/docs/Plugins/PARSIS A Particles System

You have to give the plugin the data folder you wish.

The engine settings is not visible in the viewport. Select in the Scene pane of Daz Studio or in the Objects tab of the PARSIS pane to configure it.

The tutorials are missing. Sorry about that. I reported the problem to DAZ.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,156

Alberto said:

Ivy said:

Hi, Ivy!

The plugin can do all of those, don't need an expansion. (However, for fire, is better Fluidos II)

Ivy said:

you had stated

The particles are controlled as a group using the forces. However, it's possible to create (with the right settings) only one particle by a source (you can use as many sources as you wish).

The sources can be

1. A point source, that is all the particles start from a point in space.
    2. A blob, where the particles start from a spherical space.
    3. Any geometric node, where the particles start from the surface or the entire volume of any geometric node you wish: a primitive, a prop, figure, etc.

The force and forcefields works as in Fluidos.

Ivy said:

The plugin uses ArrayFire in its engine, but the users don't deal with it. 

For billboard particles, the corresponding mesher has a set of surfaces (you choose the number) that you can customize. The emitted particles will be changing their texture as they will be aging (you decide the timing). Thus, the mesher will be assigning the texture for each particle according to its age.

For instances of geometric nodes, the mesher will have a set of copies of the nodes. The mesher will use these nodes to represent the particles according to its age. You only need to apply the desired shaders or materials to the copies. It has the advantage that the copies can be deformed and that'lll be reflectend in the particles representation. 

Ivy said:

Well, the plugin can work only with existing objects. If the volumetric object like clouds of flames are geometric objects, the plugin can managed them.

Ivy said:

Or course, anything object you want.

Ivy said:

You can run as many frames as you wish. The resources required to render depends on the number of particles and the type o representation (billboards or geometric nodes). In fact, is less consuming than Fluidos (and much faster).

Ivy said:

Yes, it can be rendered in any dimensions as the renderer is able.

Thank you very much.  I going to give it a go . laugh

Alberto said:

RandWulf said:

The manual is inside the folder where DAZ Studio is installed, that is:  /Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/docs/Plugins/PARSIS A Particles System

You have to give the plugin the data folder you wish.

The engine settings is not visible in the viewport. Select in the Scene pane of Daz Studio or in the Objects tab of the PARSIS pane to configure it.

The tutorials are missing. Sorry about that. I reported the problem to DAZ.

Thank you

Ivy said:

Thank you very much.  I going to give it a go . laugh

RandWulf said:

Thank you

You're welcome!

And thank you for your support!

BeeMKay said:

The serial number arrived, and thanks to the PDF I was able to sent skulls blubbering up with just a few clicks. Very nice! I see some animated Magic sequences for the comic on the horizon.

Thank you for creating it!

*off to play some more with Parsis*

Glad you liked it!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

azoohouse said:

The serial number just arrived!

Dunno about 'just', but yes - has arrived 

The video tutorials and the shaders should be in your library now.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,872

Hi, if anyone has created something with PARSIS, please post here.

I have PARSIS in my cart, but waiting to see more renders from the users of it.

• eheiehbruno@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 842
    edited March 2021

All right, I've been testing the product for a bit and here are my first impressions:

- Infinitely faster both in simulation and in rendering than SimTenero's product. The calculations without collisions are lightning-fast and the Iray preview never stuttered even when throwing a thousand scattered props at it (with a GTX 1080).

- There are a few annoyances with the animatable properties, as they don't show as keyframes along the timeline, so, if you mistakenly assign a value in a frame you don't want, you will need to look for it manually.

- I need to do more tests with collisions, but a single large plane (5 meters with a hundred divisions) didn't stop a single particle even with "thin walled" on. I must be doing something wrong. Closed meshes seem to work flawlessly, though.

- The tool cannot use figures as particles, so if you want to scatter anything with rigging you will need to convert it to a prop first (I only mention it because the program didn't show an error warning, it just did not show the objects after simulation).

- If you mistakenly leave "oriented to camera" on when shooting props, the simulation will react very differently than with it off, most notably with the speeds of the objects.

- When a prop is originated as a particle, it starts very small and quickly grows to its size. It may be nice to be able to control this, such as in case one wants the prop to start at its final size.

- I would love an option for the animatable values to be set uniformly from start to finish in case I mess up with the timeline, maybe something like a "copy current frame parameters" checkbox.

- Learning how to change the origins and alignments of props is a must. I scattered a few roses that shoot stem first, and that wasn't the image I was going for.

- Making plushies rain may be the most adorable thing I have ever done.

- I haven't found the option to set different materials that are kept from start to finish, just to set changing materials over time. It would be nice if there was such an option to, for instance, make realistic confetti or an autumn scene.

- Speaking of which, is there a way for a particle to wobble or rotate like a falling leaf? I believe maybe something could be done with the forces, but I don't know where to start to introduce this kind of turbulence.

All in all, the tool has some complexity and a bit of a learning curve, especially if you want to take advantage of its most advanced features, but the possibilities it opens up are more than worth it. Someone mentioned Ultrascatter, and the comparison is apt because I can see this being for dynamic scenes what Ultrascatter is for setting up scenes and backgrounds. Obviously, its full potential is geared towards animation, but I can think of many cases where it can be useful for static images. Wish I had more time to play with it.

EDIT: Attached a screenshot of the test scene I've been puttering with, in case it helps you at all, Artini.

Parsis Test.PNG
    600 x 408 - 467K
    Post edited by [email protected] on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,872

Uthgard said:

All right, I've been testing the product for a bit and here are my first impressions:

- Infinitely faster both in simulation and in rendering than SimTenero's product. The calculations without collisions are lightning-fast and the Iray preview never stuttered even when throwing a thousand scattered props at it (with a GTX 1080).

- There are a few annoyances with the animatable properties, as they don't show as keyframes along the timeline, so, if you mistakenly assign a value in a frame you don't want, you will need to look for it manually.

- I need to do more tests with collisions, but a single large plane (5 meters with a hundred divisions) didn't stop a single particle even with "thin walled" on. I must be doing something wrong. Closed meshes seem to work flawlessly, though.

- The tool cannot use figures as particles, so if you want to scatter anything with rigging you will need to convert it to a prop first (I only mention it because the program didn't show an error warning, it just did not show the objects after simulation).

- If you mistakenly leave "oriented to camera" on when shooting props, the simulation will react very differently than with it off, most notably with the speeds of the objects.

- When a prop is originated as a particle, it starts very small and quickly grows to its size. It may be nice to be able to control this, such as in case one wants the prop to start at its final size.

- I would love an option for the animatable values to be set uniformly from start to finish in case I mess up with the timeline, maybe something like a "copy current frame parameters" checkbox.

- Learning how to change the origins and alignments of props is a must. I scattered a few roses that shoot stem first, and that wasn't the image I was going for.

- Making plushies rain may be the most adorable thing I have ever done.

- I haven't found the option to set different materials that are kept from start to finish, just to set changing materials over time. It would be nice if there was such an option to, for instance, make realistic confetti or an autumn scene.

- Speaking of which, is there a way for a particle to wobble or rotate like a falling leaf? I believe maybe something could be done with the forces, but I don't know where to start to introduce this kind of turbulence.

All in all, the tool has some complexity and a bit of a learning curve, especially if you want to take advantage of its most advanced features, but the possibilities it opens up are more than worth it. Someone mentioned Ultrascatter, and the comparison is apt because I can see this being for dynamic scenes what Ultrascatter is for setting up scenes and backgrounds. Obviously, its full potential is geared towards animation, but I can think of many cases where it can be useful for static images. Wish I had more time to play with it.

EDIT: Attached a screenshot of the test scene I've been puttering with, in case it helps you at all, Artini.

Thanks a lot for such a comprehensive review. I am doing a static scenes in Daz Studio only, so this tool is not for me, at the moment.

Have fun with it, anyway.

Hi, Uthgard!

Uthgard said:

In the timeline check all the the property types to see all the keyframes (this is valid for any case, not only PARSIS scenes)

Uthgard said:

For using that plane, increase the number of divisions to 200. Then increase the Voxel subdivision to between 1.5 and 2 (1.75 is fine). Increase the precision to 3 or more.

Note: A higher voxel subdivision is counterproductive because then the plugin will notice the spaces between the vertices and take them as holes.  

Uthgard said:

Oriented to camera is intented mainly for the triangles (billboards) mesh type. But I leave it available to users if they want to use with the node instances type for whatever their reason were. Freedom of use

Uthgard said:

In fact that very small prop you see is the copy of the node. It was shrinked to it be less obstructive. But you can move out of the camera's field of view or behind an object (don't set invisible). Or you can resize (Scale, but not X,Y, Z scale controls)

Uthgard said:

You can use the DAZ Studio's Joint Editor tool

Uthgard said:

To do so, use more than one source with different starting material (the target material  should be equal to the starting one). Change a little the speed or production rates.

Uthgard said:

As, by definition, a particle has no dimension, it cannot rotate. But you can simulate this behavior by manuallly animating the copies of the nodes (parented to the mesher). The particles will reproduce the animation.

propertyTypes.jpg
    816 x 219 - 29K

Artini said:

Thanks a lot for such a comprehensive review. I am doing a static scenes in Daz Studio only, so this tool is not for me, at the moment.

Have fun with it, anyway.

Oh!, the static scenes are created the same way, but generating only one frame. It's similar to the Stabilization Steps feature of Fluidos II https://youtu.be/OUczgJCsrrA

• Thanks a lot for your detailed answers! I will try your tips as soon as I get back to my computer. Just before closing for the day, I tried a scene with a plane as a prop emitter and it crashed twice, though, would you have any suggestions or is it just my PC surrendering after a long day of work?

Also, your tip to animate the original prop is pure gold. I think another way to introduce turbulence and variance may be to have an irregular grid as a collision object just below the emitter, but I don't know how costly it would be in practice.

Artini, if you have Ultrascatter Pro (and I could swear you do), there aren't that many things you can't do with static images that Parsis would help you with, but I can see it as a very good substitute for certain things I currently do with dForce, like scattering confetti over a scene or some of the other effects Sickleyield has twisted the engine into (with the huge scene files that can result from it). It may even be a quick substitute for Fluidos in certain scenes, with drops of water as particles. Also, some things that may require quite a bit of work with Ultrascatter, like a firework exploding in a certain pattern, would be quite intuitive with Parsis, but those could be edge cases.

Uthgard said:

Thanks a lot for your detailed answers! I will try your tips as soon as I get back to my computer. Just before closing for the day, I tried a scene with a plane as a prop emitter and it crashed twice, though, would you have any suggestions or is it just my PC surrendering after a long day of work?

Use a closed-mesh objects for the sources. Not a plane, but a cube.

Uthgard said:

Also, your tip to animate the original prop is pure gold. I think another way to introduce turbulence and variance may be to have an irregular grid as a collision object just below the emitter, but I don't know how costly it would be in practice.

Depends on the voxel subdivision and precision you need.

Uthgard said:

Artini, if you have Ultrascatter Pro (and I could swear you do), there aren't that many things you can't do with static images that Parsis would help you with,

I wish to point out that most static scenes are "snapshots" of dynamic ones. Unless they're still-life type, all the scenes show frozen motions and changes, that is "frozen animation". To get a realistic static scene, the dynamics behind it should be realistic too. Part of this need is fulfilled by the physics simulators (e.g. dForce, Parsis, and Fluidos).

• Projectors need to be closed meshes? Well, that's a bit of a limitation, I think it rules out almost every clothing item in the store. Still, nothing that can't be worked around.

And of course I agree with your statement about this being useful for static images, it's just that Ultrascatter Pro gives a few solutions that, for said images, are just "good enough." I wasn't trying at all to disparage your product, which I am still coming up with different uses for.

Uthgard said:

And of course I agree with your statement about this being useful for static images, it's just that Ultrascatter Pro gives a few solutions that, for said images, are just "good enough." I wasn't trying at all to disparage your product, which I am still coming up with different uses for.

I agree. After all, PARSIS is not intented to substitute Ultrascatter Pro, they're complementary tools.

Alberto said:

The video tutorials and the shaders should be in your library now.

Thank you.

• johranshadijohranshadi Posts: 134

I wonder if Parsis can do the popcorn effect and what the correct settings/force would be for that? 

johranshadi said:

I wonder if Parsis can do the popcorn effect and what the correct settings/force would be for that? 

Could you elaborate in that effect, please? 

• johranshadijohranshadi Posts: 134

Alberto said:

johranshadi said:

I meant the popping motion of particles, similar to what happens when you heat popcorn. Thanks, Alberto

johranshadi said:

Alberto said:

johranshadi said:

I meant the popping motion of particles, similar to what happens when you heat popcorn. Thanks, Alberto

Something Like this? (https://youtu.be/UhGBIb9xJ10)

It's a simple example. It could be elaborated more, for example, by using Node instances in the Mesher, and two or three Sources to get different sizes. The obstacle in the scene is not the saucepan, but a geoshell of it (the thicker, the better to avoid the particles to cross the walls). It's attached a version of the scene. The only difference is that instead of the saucepan, a simple model is included in the .duf.

duf
    duf
    popcorn.duf