Too many UV maps!!!!

Comments

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,699
    edited December 1969

Look what I found: http://www.daz3d.com/zev0/skin-overlay-for-v5-and-m5-skin-sets
    There are striae (stretchmarks) in this set :D
    I was looking for veins for Genesis and saw the image by accident ^^

• IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

The aspect of this discussion is just going in circles. Please break out of the eddy and get the topic back into a civil discussion. If it continues as it is we will have to consider locking the thread.

In what way is any part of this discussion not civil?

• throttlekittythrottlekitty Posts: 173
    edited December 1969

So why can't D|S have a "Save/Load UV Preset" function? It's technically feasible and solves pretty much any issue brought up in this thread.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,698
    edited December 1969

So why can't D|S have a "Save/Load UV Preset" function? It's technically feasible and solves pretty much any issue brought up in this thread.

Most of them, anyway.

What would be more than a little welcome and help quite a bit with this issue would be a plug-in that re-mapped a mesh or figure (Figure A) to a UV (UV B) from another mesh (Figure B) according to its facet-offset from a shared UV set (UV A, mapped on both A and B).

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

Most of them, anyway.

What would be more than a little welcome and help quite a bit with this issue would be a plug-in that re-mapped a mesh or figure (Figure A) to a UV (UV B) from another mesh (Figure B) according to its facet-offset from a shared UV set (UV A, mapped on both A and B).

Isn't that effectively what Map Transfer does? It doesn't actually add the UV B option to Figure A, but you still need to own UV B to be able to do it, so I'm not clear what it solves.

• throttlekittythrottlekitty Posts: 173
    edited December 1969

The various Genesis 2 figures, the base geometry is the same, just shifted around to suit the shape of each character, right? And most of them also have differing UV layouts to best suit each new shape? What I'm suggesting is that these UV layouts could be stored as presets. Essentially the same thing as a morph, just working on UV coordinates instead of XYZ coordinates.

That doesn't quite solve everything, but it sounds like map transfer is also a good solution. I assume that it bakes the textures from one model to another, I use a similar function in Maya to do this.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,461
    edited October 2014

arcady said:

Not to be cruel but... Anytime a market system starts being based around caring for the feelings of the sellers rather than the buyers - serious problems will arise.

Hmmm, I think that was what I wanted to say. But you said it so much better.

Several times I was tempted to buy into the DAZ G6 line of characters because of the catalog image until I started reading the fine print and thinking about textures. Then at second look the character wasn't that important to me anymore. I rarely use G5 characters and still do most work with the DAZ G4 line and my large collection of G4 skins. I'm just a hobbyist, skin pores and perfectly plucked eyebrows aren't a necessity.

DAZ made its "fortune" by marketing to the hobbyist, let's not forget them. And perhaps a solution for the leading edge producers is to market high end products at a higher price through a different catalog. I'm a normal schlub, if I want a new suit I go into Sears not Neiman Markus.

Heavens, dare I think that DAZ products have reached a new level of quality that needs to be split off as new species?! 8-o

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

^^One of the most common complaints I see here and on other sites is that the skin textures aren't realistic enough, so that's not going to cut it.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,955
    edited December 1969

...bugger a nice set Geisha bundle as well as Faces of Asia have just been released and all are optimised for Mei Lin instead of the base G2F. Been waiting a long time for something like this. At least the kimono and Hair will work for the base G2F.

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...bugger a nice set Geisha bundle as well as Faces of Asia have just been released and all are optimised for Mei Lin instead of the base G2F. Been waiting a long time for something like this. At least the kimono and Hair will work for the base G2F.

I share your frustrations... nice bundle but I can't keep up with the parade of female releases. I wonder how much adjustment the poses would need for G2F?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,551
    edited December 1969

The various Genesis 2 figures, the base geometry is the same, just shifted around to suit the shape of each character, right? And most of them also have differing UV layouts to best suit each new shape? What I'm suggesting is that these UV layouts could be stored as presets. Essentially the same thing as a morph, just working on UV coordinates instead of XYZ coordinates.

That doesn't quite solve everything, but it sounds like map transfer is also a good solution. I assume that it bakes the textures from one model to another, I use a similar function in Maya to do this.

Save a Materials Preset with only the UV Set - Mec4D did a set with PoserCFs so that Poser suers could switch UVs, since there wasn't a way in the UI. A preset would allow the setting of the UV set, it wouldn't remove the need to have it in the first place.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

An improved user friendly Map Transfer Utility and making the new UVs free with their template files would settle the issue for me.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure I'm seeing how DS storing the unique uv as a preset will solve much. If I want a unique uvs for a particular figure, I have to buy the base figure. I have G2F, G2M and V6 because they were free. I have M6 because I picked him up at a really good price last PC anniversary. Beyond that, I haven't invested in any of the other Gen 6 figures.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    An improved user friendly Map Transfer Utility and making the new UVs free with their template files would settle the issue for me.

Good idea, that I could get behind. The current map transfer is a bit confusing.

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:

Yep. I second (or third, or nth) that. :)

Plus, less confusion about which character uses which UV, but I am noticing an improvement in that respect as more and more characters get released listing the UVs they are made for. Great practice!

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,800
    edited October 2014

jestmart said:

Oh GOD, yes! I SO third that! Map Transfer is way too tedious and way too time consuming for me as it is now. My poor laptop can't handle an hour long process of that kind of roasting power!
    Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

I think in all this the best possible solution for the end users is for Daz to update the Genesis/2 starter essentials with each iconic character release to include the new UVs as part of the free figure, this would mean UVs are less an issue because everyone has them all, and no worrying about compatibility with PA characters. - They wont, purely because it means potential loss of sales, and then there will undoubtedly be users who moan that they have to update their figure essentials packs so frequently. It would however encourage PAs to not restrict themselves so commonly to Base Female/Male UVs. which would mean they'd more thoughtfully select a UV belonging to a similar build character, which is the idea behind such UVs and why when iconic characters get released, PA characters built off that shape being similar builds take on the UV. But again I don't think daz would see it viable, theres nothing in it for them. It however wont work when many characters are V5/M5 UV for backwards comparability with genesis1. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I particularly love Map transfer, its one of my most used tools in DS. I do agree things could be improved but once you learn the process, it really does become efficient and easy to use. For those curious to learn it http://kaos3d.deviantart.com/journal/Daz-Studio-4-Map-Transfer-Mini-Tutorial-303888794 is a very handy tutorial. I however save to my own created folders in 'my documents' which helps keep things where I can find them, and no risks of overwriting the originals or loosing it from daz temp folder when DS closes. Genesis 2 surfaces aren't numbered, and thats the only slow down I have in the process.

edited December 1969

Jindi said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

I share your frustrations... nice bundle but I can't keep up with the parade of female releases. I wonder how much adjustment the poses would need for G2F?
    ...now if the Geisha Bundle were the Mei Line Starter Bundle, I would have bought it as such. It would have been the most appropriate bundling of content with a base character I'd have seen since the Young Teens5 Stater/Po bundles and since all of it would be Daz Original content (including the base character), it would be the first "new" bundle that also gets the extra PC discount as well as allowing the PC monthly coupon to be applied.

I'd still like to consider getting the Geisha bundle, at the price PC members get, it is petty nice deal, however as the skin maps are based off the Mei Lin UV, they won't work properly on the Base G2F or any other G6 character without the base Mei Lin figure. Poses on the other hand are easier to adjust.

Adding another 17$ to the deal for the base character is unfortunately more than I can afford.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,069
    edited December 1969

and JAPANESE Aiko6 wants her clothes and skin back thx

edited October 2014

...@SpyroRue, I like that idea. I would have no issue having to update my G2F base every so often compared to having to shell out 28$ (30% introductory discount/PC price) each time for a new base figure is released just to have the UV set. With the DIM, updating is easy and any updated content shows up automatically at the top of the "Ready To Download" tab.

A lot of us are on tight budgets and cannot afford to purchase each and every new character as it comes out. 9 new female character figures each with their custom UV set (Josie is the only one who uses the base G2F UV so I didn't count her in) comes to an investment of over a 260$ at the introductory/PC price (add another 100$ at full price).

I do not see why these other characters could not have been based off the G2F or at least, even V6 UV (Daz offered Vicky 6 for free a while back). Again it contradicts with the "versatility" of the entire Genesis concept and it seems we pretty much have reverted back to Gen3 again where each character figure was distinct and uniquely different from one another.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited October 2014

...that crossed my mind as well as Mei Lin is supposedly either Chinese or Korean (not sure). While Imperial China had their courtesans, they were not "Geisha". The Princess Asia outfit would be more fitting.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    I'd still like to consider getting the Geisha bundle, at the price PC members get, it is petty nice deal, however as the skin maps are based off the Mei Lin UV, they won't work properly on the Base G2F or any other G6 character without the base Mei Lin figure. Poses on the other hand are easier to adjust.

Adding another 17$ to the deal for the base character is unfortunately more than I can afford.

Agreed, the maps are the real issue (I was thinking aloud on the poses, wondering if the bundle without the makeup would be worthwhile). I don't blame the PAs for supporting the latest exciting release, but it does get expensive for many of us customers to try to keep up. Especially considering there were already a number of Asian morphs and characters for G2F and of course Aiko6 too, so even if Mei Lin is nice to have (and I'm sure she is), it's a shame when new content can only be used with her.

I probably wouldn't care if the new stuff didn't look so good! :)

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,206
    edited December 1969

SpyroRue said:
    But again I don't think daz would see it viable, theres nothing in it for them.

they get at least a cut out of everything sold at their store, so if more characters become available to more people, they might make more money.

and if PA's have more freedom choosing their UV that might increase the quality of their work and with that - sales.

I'm not saying that DAZ is suddenly going to make, like, a lot more money, but quite frankly, I am not sure their current policy on UV's is making the a lot of money, either. Hard to say how many people buy a DAZ base character just for the UV.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Keep a watch on the top 30 products. Right now 6 of 30 products are Pro Bundles of figures with unique UV's. That's a fair piece of your total weekly sales. Granted there are more in their these past few weeks because of special offers but, on average, there at least two pro bundles in top 30 each week.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,010
    edited December 1969

I think MM3 comprehensively addressed anything I would have said about the merits of using UVs for specific characters, so I'll leave that part alone. I just want to mention that off the top of my head, I can think of two vendors, besides myself, that list clearly which UV is being used. Silver has been using the G2F base UV for quite a while, and FWArt has been using V5 UVs to also be compatible with Genesis.
    Examples:
    http://www.daz3d.com/silver/gogo-for-mei-lin-6
    http://www.daz3d.com/fwart/fwf-mayuree-hd-for-mei-lin-6

I'm sure there are more, but these were the ones I thought of right away.

I was delighted to find that Mayuree uses the V5 UV. I bought her, but did not buy Mei Lin. I think her shape applied to G2F base female looks great - maybe not exactly like if it was applied to Mei Lin - but close and a very nice character anyway. I haven't noticed any objectionable stretching yet. Novica did a comparison render over in her Art Studio that convinced me that I would like this product, and I do. I am happy to support vendors that use the common UVs with my purchasing dollars.
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...that crossed my mind as well as Mei Lin is supposedly either Chinese or Korean (not sure). While Imperial China had their courtesans, they were not "Geisha". The Princess Asia outfit would be more fitting.
    Reminds me of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memoirs_of_a_Geisha_(film)#Casting_controversy
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited October 2014

icprncss said:
    Keep a watch on the top 30 products. Right now 6 of 30 products are Pro Bundles of figures with unique UV's. That's a fair piece of your total weekly sales. Granted there are more in their these past few weeks because of special offers but, on average, there at least two pro bundles in top 30 each week.

Of course! But Pro bundles are bought not because people want to get their hands on the base UVs. And having just the UVs come free would likely not affect the the Pro Bundle sales, because when people buy the pro bundle, they do it for the deeper discount on all the included products, most of which are clothes, hairs, poses and expression - in addition to the base and the derivative characters.

And, note:

- Mei Lin 6 comes with 2 non-base characters in the Pro Bundles, NEITHER of which uses Mei Lin UVs! Why? Because the artists who made those characters would like to be able to sell this character to people who won't get the base of Mei Lin, and since getting the base of Mei Lin is the only way to get her UV's, why bother with those UVs at all?

- Lilith 6 Pro bundle comes also with 2 additional characters, and ONLY 1 of them uses Lilith 6 UVs!

- Aiko 6 Pro Bundle comes with 3 additional characters, NEITHER of which uses Aiko 6 UVs!

- Giselle 6 Pro Bundle comes with 4 additional characters, NEITHER of which uses Giselle 6 UVs!

- Stephanie 6 Pro Bundle comes with 4 additional characters, ONLY 1 of them uses Stephanie 6 UVs!

- Olympia 6 Pro Bundle comes with 3 additional characters, and 2 of them are definitely NOT for Olympia UVs, and given that the third character is created by FWart, it's a good guess that NEITHER of which uses Olympia 6 UVs!

- Even the Victoria 6 Pro Bundle only has 1 out of 3 additional characters made for Victoria 6 custom UVs! And she is the G2F generational trademark figure!

Am I the only one seeing the pattern here?

(Girl 6 And Gia 6 Pro bundles each come with 2 additional characters, but I cannot tell you anything about their UV use, because I cannot find that info on the product pages (ARGH! >:-( ), but given the trend clearly seen above, I wouldn't hold my breath for those characters to use the custom base UVs...)

So the custom UVs are clearly not getting any support and are basically a semi-wasted effort on DAZ's behalf... Unless the UVs be made free for the other artists to know they are not shooting themselves in the foot if they choose to use and support the UVs.

And, seriously, the DAZ bases I do have, have enough merit in the morphs and textures they come with, not to be devalued by the free availability of their custom UVs. If anything, it would make more value to them, because more textures would be available to mix and match with the excellent base maps.

Post edited by Antara on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 24,010
    edited October 2014

Antara said:
    icprncss said:

Of course! But Pro bundles are bought not because people want to get their hands on the base UVs. And having just the UVs come free would likely not affect the the Pro Bundle sales, because when people buy the pro bundle, they do it for the deeper discount on all the included products, most of which are clothes, hairs, poses and expression - in addition to the base and the derivative characters.

And, note:

- Mei Lin 6 comes with 2 non-base characters in the Pro Bundles, NEITHER of which uses Mei Lin UVs! Why? Because the artists who made those characters would like to be able to sell this character to people who won't get the base of Mei Lin, and since getting the base of Mei Lin is the only way to get her UV's, why bother with those UVs at all?

- Lilith 6 Pro bundle comes also with 2 additional characters, and ONLY 1 of them uses Lilith 6 UVs!

- Aiko 6 Pro Bundle comes with 3 additional characters, NEITHER of which uses Aiko 6 UVs!

- Giselle 6 Pro Bundle comes with 4 additional characters, NEITHER of which uses Giselle 6 UVs!

- Stephanie 6 Pro Bundle comes with 4 additional characters, ONLY 1 of them uses Stephanie 6 UVs!

- Olympia 6 Pro Bundle comes with 3 additional characters, and 2 of them are definitely NOT for Olympia UVs, and given that the third character is created by FWart, it's a good guess that NEITHER of which uses Olympia 6 UVs!

- Even the Victoria 6 Pro Bundle only has 1 out of 3 additional characters made for Victoria 6 custom UVs! And she is the G2F generational trademark figure!

Am I the only one seeing the pattern here?

(Girl 6 And Gia 6 Pro bundles each come with 2 additional characters, but I cannot tell you anything about their UV use, because I cannot find that info on the product pages (ARGH! >:-( ), but given the trend clearly seen above, I wouldn't hold my breath for those characters to use the custom base UVs...)

So the custom UVs are clearly not getting any support and are basically a semi-wasted effort on DAZ's behalf... Unless the UVs be made free for the other artists to know they are not shooting themselves in the foot if they choose to use and support the UVs.

And, seriously, the DAZ bases I do have, have enough merit in the morphs and textures they come with, not to be devalued by the free availability of their custom UVs. If anything, it would make more value to them, because more textures would be available to mix and match with the excellent base maps.

Wow! Eye opening. Even DAZ bundle products are not using the new UVs consistently. I didn't realize that.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

...indeed, that is interesting.

Antara, Thank you for the research.