Morphing Eclypse or Kimberly into more Disney-esque figures?

ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to duplicate the Disney house style characters like from Frozen, Tangled, or the current Tinkerbell shows using 3D universe's offerings like Eclypse or Kimberly (or stuff I don't know about)?

I've googled around, but haven't really found discussions about it, or like recipes for the dials or such...(Not sure if there's a better forum to investigate in).

toons.jpg
1000 x 894 - 171K

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,140
    edited December 1969

I like the Elsa character in Frozen, but also Anna is nice too. I would like to recreate something similar to either girl.

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited October 2014

If you are looking for a closer match for Tinkerbell, I suggest you look at Willow (for the Dawn figure) who was also created by 3DUniverse. She's available at a different site (forum rules mean I probably can't mention it), but you can also find her via 3DU's website.

I know Wancow made his own Belle, I'll try to find his thread (speaking of Wancow, I hope he's doing OK and now getting the medical treatment he was waiting for).

EDIT: Here you go: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17043/

Also, when it comes to costumes, I believe Wilmap created some beautiful Frozen style dresses?

Post edited by IndigoJanson on
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited October 2014

Yeah, I stumbled over Willow while gathering the pictures, but I don't know anything about Dawn.
    (Now that I'm starting to use the program, I've been wanting to stick with the Genesis 2 line). --so I've found things like Wilmap's clothes or hairstyles that match, but they're for the V4->G2F and would that even work on a Dawn character?

And would something like GEnX work on characters like Kimberly and the Gen1 toons..

And why does my every question about this hobby lead to 100 others ? :(

(Seriously, there are actual rules about mentioning other sites? I've seen "site which can't be named" but assumed that was basicly an inside joke)

Post edited by Scavenger on
    edited October 2014

Scavenger said:
    Yeah, I stumbled over Willow while gathering the pictures, but I don't know anything about Dawn.
    (Now that I'm starting to use the program, I've been wanting to stick with the Genesis 2 line). --so I've found things like Wilmap's clothes or hairstyles that match, but they're for the V4->G2F and would that even work on a Dawn character?

(Seriously, there are actual rules about mentioning other sites? I've seen "site which can't be named" but assumed that was basicly an inside joke)

There are some sites that cannot be linked such as Rottica, but I do not think HiveWire was one of those sites.

Edit: wonder if there is anything that makes HiveWire different from Rendo or RDna? or any other content site that is not Daz3d.

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,874
    edited December 2015

Kulay Wolf said:

Scavenger said:

There are some sites that cannot be linked such as Rottica, but I do not think HiveWire was one of those sites.

Edit: wonder if there is anything that makes HiveWire different from Rendo or RDna? or any other content site that is not Daz3d.

As I understand it, the rule is that you can talk about any other site by name, including Renderotica, but we're not allowed to link out to ANY of the commercial 3D sites, because it was effectively diverting business from DAZ to their competitors. Which is, frankly, not particularly unreasonable. For reasons that I've never entirely understood, there seems to be an unofficial forum thing where people don't talk about Renderotica by name but instead use inventive euphemisms (I like "The Site Whose Name We Dare Not Speak", myself -- though, depending on context, that's frequently Hivewire); probably goes along with referring to the reproductive figures as "toast" and "toaster".

On topic: no, the V4/G2F clothing will not work on Dawn without developing your own clothing clone. There are threads about that elsewhere in this forum; I've tried it a couple of times, and I'm just not particularly good at it.

Post edited by DAZ_Brian on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2014

Scavenger said:

Unsolicited Commercial links are frowned upon, as they do contravene the off site commercial advertising rule outlined in the DAZ 3D ToS.

However we do usually allow links to products when they are in response to specific queries, such as "Does anyone know where I can get Blah Blah Blah?"

Mentioning a product and the name of the site is preferred to an actual link, but even so it does need to be a response to an actual request or query, rather than just dropped into a thread to promote some other product.

Links to sites which provide adult content are not allowed under any circumstances, nor are links to sites which do not have content or age related filters and display images which contravene the DAZ 3D ToS.

So links to Renderotica and other such sites are a No No, links to, for example, nude images on sites like Deviant Art are allowed, because they have filers, so non members and people who have the supplied filters applied will not be able to see the images

Post edited by Chohole on
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

I'd happily support any extra morphs for Girl 6. She feels a bit left out in comparison to most of the other base figures, but seems like the most obvious option in the world for Daz to build upon for branching into Pixar-like cartoon art renders. Maybe if an equivalent male figure is released we'll see more.

I'm actually quite surprised that, since Girl 6, we haven't seen more cartoon-style hair options for her. She works beautifully with all the present styles, but I'd bet there are some great 'unrealistic' stuff which could be done for her appearance.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,955
    edited December 1969

...for a challenge project, I originally based a certain "princess" character on a blend of two Genesis toon figures, but couldn't get the chin and face shape to look quite right even with deformers.

I then turned to Teen Julie as the base and she worked much better even though her features are more "realistic". The trickiest part was getting the hair to look right as the character had a "unique" style that for Pixar took nearly three years to develop (including writing custom software and designing new hardware). Ended up using two heavily morphed instances of 3Dream's Bolina Hair to simulate the length and thickness.

edited December 1969

vwrangler said:

On topic: no, the V4/G2F clothing will not work on Dawn without developing your own clothing clone. There are threads about that elsewhere in this forum; I've tried it a couple of times, and I'm just not particularly good at it.

YEah..what little I do know about Dawn is that, which unless there's a ton of free things out there for Dawn, is just a non-starter (and that Willow does look good).

--------------------

Girl 6 vs the others isn't really the issue, as far as I'm concerned..I'd just like to get to the look I'm wanting :)

--------------------

...for a challenge project, I originally based a certain “princess” character on a blend of two Genesis toon figures, but couldn’t get the chin and face shape to look quite right even with deformers.

I then turned to Teen Julie as the base and she worked much better even though her features are more “realistic”.....

Can you go into a bit more detail? "Certain Princess" You're talking about Merida from Brave..unless there's a a ban on saying character names around here...What characters did you blend?

edited October 2014

...yeah that's the one.

Primarily used Teen Julie along with a little bit of Steph4 and Kimberly mixed in. I also employed several head morph merchant resource kits, several of Die Tryings 182 morphs, as well as did a lot of rescaling of her head on each individual axis.

I studied several pre-production videos and files on the development of the character to get as close as I could without having to create custom morphs of my on (not very good at that). I also don't have ZBrush or any other sculpting software.so all work was done just with the morphing and scaling controls in Daz 4.6.

Below is the result so far. I went with the normal Julie texture map and adjusted the SSS settings to soften the details as much as possible since the toon SSS shader didn't look look quite right (especially the eyelashes and lips).

merida_new_test.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

That's impressive, Kid. Really.

edited December 1969

...thanks.

Not an exact twin copy of the character but am still very pleased with how she turned out.

Learned a heck of a lot about morphing and shaping while working on this project. Now If I could only model the actual dress...

edited December 1969

I appreciate the extra information..helps me figure out what I'm gonna need to try :D

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

I was probably over-cautious about the naming other sites thing, just didn't want to get anyone into trouble. Not with chohole and that big stick around! :)

I own Willow myself and absolutely love her, but Eclypse would be your best 'base' if you want to use your G2F morphs. (Dawn is free, but you'd have to buy Dawn head/body morph packages to play about with Willow's default look, beyond mixing her with the basic Dawn.) I made my own Willow-lookalike for Genesis so I could mix her with other characters. It would have been much easier if I'd used Kimberley to morph from but I didn't have her.

Keep us updated with your progress, Scavenger. It will be interesting to see how close a match you can get if you go for a Frozen look. Those girls have such huge eyes!

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

Oh, that's astonishingly good!

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:

And would something like GEnX work on characters like Kimberly and the Gen1 toons..

And why does my every question about this hobby lead to 100 others ? :(

1. Dawn alone (well, not so alone - with a skin set, her own bikini and a ponytail) is free, so even if you want just Willow (I admit I'd like to use her, but I don't intend to invest in Dawn), you will only pay for her. There is a bunch of freebies, though surely not as many as for Gen2F/Gen2M, Genesis and Generation 4. Have a look here: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org/wiki/Dawn.

2. Most Wilmap's clothes are for Genesis, she also supports Gen2F and Gen2M. But Dawn has a few sets by this marvellous digital tailor as well. As there are no paid products, I am free to link to the category: https://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_products.php?cat=1. I think you could try to fit clothes onto her, but to what extent... I never tried. In fact, I didn't even load her once, though I got her as she was free.

3. GenX2 will transfer any Generation 4-6 character with proper plugins. There are several ways:
    - Generation 4 onto Genesis;
    - Genesis onto Gen2F/Gen2M (you need Gen2F/Gen2M Addon) and vice versa;
    - Generation 4 onto Generation 6 with the aforementioned plugin, but you need to port the morph onto Genesis first;
    - Generation 3 onto Genesis (you need Generation 3 Addon);
    - Generation 3 onto Generation 6 with the aforementioned plugin, but you need to port the morph onto Genesis first.

To port Generation 4 higher, you need a figure a morph for which you want. So for instance, to port http://www.daz3d.com/scotlyn-for-v4, you will need V4, V4 Morphs++ and A4, because those are the original requirements.

4. 3D is a time-consuming hobby, so don't be too surprised... You can always join Anonymous DAZoholics ;). Seriously, there is such a group!

5. Yes, we must not link to shopping section of competitive shops. But linking to their freebies is allowed.

Scavenger said:
    vwrangler said:

YEah..what little I do know about Dawn is that, which unless there's a ton of free things out there for Dawn, is just a non-starter (and that Willow does look good).

--------------------

Girl 6 vs the others isn't really the issue, as far as I'm concerned..I'd just like to get to the look I'm wanting :)

--------------------

...for a challenge project, I originally based a certain “princess” character on a blend of two Genesis toon figures, but couldn’t get the chin and face shape to look quite right even with deformers.

I then turned to Teen Julie as the base and she worked much better even though her features are more “realistic”.....

Can you go into a bit more detail? "Certain Princess" You're talking about Merida from Brave..unless there's a a ban on saying character names around here...What characters did you blend?

Julie is very useful for morphing. I think you could mix various morph kits, especially those developed by Thorne.

edited October 2014

...I have all of Thorne's Genesis Head and Body morph resource kits. Very helpful.

As I mentioned Die Trying has nice sets of Genesis and G2F morphs over on ShareCG

Ramwolff also has a set of custom morphs for Genesis on ShareCG as well.

I am more inclined to pick up morph kits than individual characters these days save maybe to get a few skins. The sad thing with G2F/Gen6 is more of the characters have their own individual UV maps compared to Gen4/Gen5.

Don't have any of the HD morphs as other than the Aging and Vascularity ones, all are individual character based. Don't think many of these would be that good for recreating Pixar/Toon characters anyway as they increase the amount of detail.

I also wish there were more standalone skin map resources available.

edited December 1969

I could try to make a standalone skin resource once I can get a subscription to 3d dot sk again. First I need to save up for the three month subscription at least. I need access to the zip files.
    Back on topic maybe if I can figure out brush and get g2f into it I might be able to morph her into a princess like character but that requires going through the online tutorials for zbrush.

edited December 1969

...love to have ZBrush. Have a system that will run it, but need a boost in income to afford it.

...and Photoshop

...and Modo

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...love to have ZBrush. Have a system that will run it, but need a boost in income to afford it.

...and Photoshop

...and Modo

I do not have modo but waiting for zbrush 5 but might get something if I can until then.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,560
    edited December 1969

I still think Aiko 4's American morph is the closest thing to a Disney-esque 3D face that I've come across. Been waiting for a remake of it for the last two Aikos and no luck. :(

Remember when you're trying to duplicate those kinds of popular characters to keep your textures simple. They do have skin detail, but it is only really visible up close. One of the biggest problems is actually the hair; transmapped hair is often too realistic, and untextured plastic 'helmet' anime hair usually isn't realistic enough.

I made this sample a while back with Aiko 4's American morph and some other minor adjustments. Brows and eyes from my Animeyes set, used pwToon for the slight outline and shading.

aikotoon_pwtoonoutline_face.jpg
    503 x 541 - 72K
    edited October 2014

...look really good. I'll have to revisit A4 as I have Anime Eyes and pwToon (though I'm not sure if it works with 4.6).

For Merida, transmapped hair works as Pixar used a strand based system (similar in some ways to Garibaldi Express) to create hair that looked and moved more lifelike. My next phase is to actually try and create that tangled mop of hair myself with GE.

...see everyone in a few months...or years? ;-)

edited December 1969

Yeah, you should be OK using transmapped hair for Meridia, I just meant in general. I don't think it'd look right on characters like Pocahontas or Jasmine. :)

pwToon should still work in 4.6, I made that test render...maybe 3 months ago? Don't make the shading color too different from the base one or you'll get that kinda ugly default Cartoon-shader look. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

edited December 1969

...yeah the hair thing is a pain for most other characters, particularly the 2D animated ones. You have to change the shders trhough something like pwToon or one of the other Anime/Toon shader sets to get rid of the "plastic" look most 3D toon hair has.

For his version of Belle (from Beauty and the Beast) Wancow custom modelled the hair and dress as well.. His project is still the benchmark for my work.

BTW, anyone hear how he is doing?

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited October 2014

I still think Aiko 4's American morph is the closest thing to a Disney-esque 3D face that I've come across. Been waiting for a remake of it for the last two Aikos and no luck. :(

Remember when you're trying to duplicate those kinds of popular characters to keep your textures simple. They do have skin detail, but it is only really visible up close. One of the biggest problems is actually the hair; transmapped hair is often too realistic, and untextured plastic 'helmet' anime hair usually isn't realistic enough.

I made this sample a while back with Aiko 4's American morph and some other minor adjustments. Brows and eyes from my Animeyes set, used pwToon for the slight outline and shading.

Very nicely done. Is there a possibility the morph can be brought forward via GenX?

EDIT: Actually giving this a try right now. I didn't realize that I had the American morph.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on
    edited December 1969

A really quick Reality / Luxrender render of A4 with the American Head Morph dialed in, A4 Head dialed out, converted to G2F with GenX.

The face could probably use a little bit of tweaking. Eyes seem a tad too large.

When I get home I will probably render it out further.

A4-American-G2F-FairyTest.jpg
    375 x 375 - 17K
    edited October 2014

You may want to use toony eyes rather than realistic ones. ;) Also, photo-realistic renderers like Reality are not all that good for rendering toon characters. HDRI/IBL lighting can give them a mannequin-like look that is often more scary than cute.

Glad you got the morph converted well! I don't have GenX, so I haven't been able to do it myself.

Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281
    edited December 1969

On the hair issue. I find that Ali's hairs have a somewhat 'toony look in their original textures. Not too much to use them for a more realistic render, but might make a very good intermediate point for characters that are supposed to look animated.

And heaven knows there are a lot of them. Particularly over on Mankahoo.com where a number of things that have gone through the Clearance collection on Rendo can sometimes still be found.

edited December 1969

You may want to use toony eyes rather than realistic ones. ;) Also, photo-realistic renderers like Reality are not all that good for rendering toon characters. HDRI/IBL lighting can give them a mannequin-like look that is often more scary than cute.

Glad you got the morph converted well! I don't have GenX, so I haven't been able to do it myself.

True and normally I would do things differently (turn off the eye reflections, Gaussian blur the skin texture) then take the image through Photoshop to refine it. But in this case I just wanted to see what the morph looked like.

All in all, I don't think that it is too far off the mark. I would probably round off the chin a little more, reduce the eye size just a little bit and maybe smooth out the cheek bones a little.

A4American-Test.jpg
    750 x 750 - 61K
  • IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

What character is that supposed to be? Way too uncanny valley for me. Realism needs to be seriously dialed back along with nose size and detail-- she looks like a Pixar-esque creepy cross between a child and a hag. Just sayin'. (yeah, I have that problem when trying to dial in a custom dialed toony character as well, it sucks)