Morphing Eclypse or Kimberly into more Disney-esque figures?

Comments

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

I still think Aiko 4's American morph is the closest thing to a Disney-esque 3D face that I've come across. Been waiting for a remake of it for the last two Aikos and no luck. :(

Remember when you're trying to duplicate those kinds of popular characters to keep your textures simple. They do have skin detail, but it is only really visible up close. One of the biggest problems is actually the hair; transmapped hair is often too realistic, and untextured plastic 'helmet' anime hair usually isn't realistic enough.

I made this sample a while back with Aiko 4's American morph and some other minor adjustments. Brows and eyes from my Animeyes set, used pwToon for the slight outline and shading.

This morph is adorable! Is that young Smacky? As for toony hairstyles, I'd use those free shaders by RedEyeCat: http://redeyecat.wordpress.com/2013/05/09/toon-hair-shaders-for-ds-3-1/.

I could try to make a standalone skin resource once I can get a subscription to 3d dot sk again. First I need to save up for the three month subscription at least. I need access to the zip files.
    Back on topic maybe if I can figure out brush and get g2f into it I might be able to morph her into a princess like character but that requires going through the online tutorials for zbrush.

There is quite a bunch of merchant resource kits, but most are for pale-skinned women.

You may want to use toony eyes rather than realistic ones. ;) Also, photo-realistic renderers like Reality are not all that good for rendering toon characters. HDRI/IBL lighting can give them a mannequin-like look that is often more scary than cute.

Glad you got the morph converted well! I don't have GenX, so I haven't been able to do it myself.

3DUniverse's characters often have their own lights. Kimberly has a particularly good set.

On the hair issue. I find that Ali's hairs have a somewhat 'toony look in their original textures. Not too much to use them for a more realistic render, but might make a very good intermediate point for characters that are supposed to look animated.

And heaven knows there are a lot of them. Particularly over on Mankahoo.com where a number of things that have gone through the Clearance collection on Rendo can sometimes still be found.

Good point!

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,560
    edited December 1969

This morph is adorable! Is that young Smacky?

Haha, well I was planning on it being a toon Smacky, but it just wouldn't look right with a realistic transmapped afro. It ended up being a tracing reference that works fairly well for drawing somewhat Disney-esque figures, although the ears need to be come forward much more and the jawline isn't quite right. Thanks very much!

Those do look like decent shaders for toon hair too. You don't want the hair to be textureless and plastic, but you don't want individual strands in most cases either.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,955
    edited October 2014

...I know that in Daz 3.1 I was able to reduce the level of detail of an object (helped a lot in large scenes). Can't seem to find where to do that in 4.6.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

opal42987 said:
    What character is that supposed to be? Way too uncanny valley for me. Realism needs to be seriously dialed back along with nose size and detail-- she looks like a Pixar-esque creepy cross between a child and a hag. Just sayin'. (yeah, I have that problem when trying to dial in a custom dialed toony character as well, it sucks)

I didn't have any character in mind. It was just a test to show what the A4 American morph looked like when it was converted to G2F.

I didn't want to dial in any other morphs; to keep the conversion display as pure as possible.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

Huh..I'll take a look at Aiko 4 for this later...
    What do/would you use to render, if Reality isn't a good choice, since that's the built in one?

(I really don't grok the differerent render choices and all that...a lot of this is very alien to my mind set).

edited December 1969

I loaded up Aiko 4...never used it before...Do I have these right? I messed with the head morph levers...

These are them?

aiko.jpg
    1280 x 442 - 125K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

...sigh... what I wouldn't give for a pixel-perfect Vanellope von Schweetz morph. That character is so sweet she literally lives in a land made of candy! Easily the most adorable Pixar character ever. Sadly, I think I'd need a Pixar-level skill in modeling before I even attempted such a feat.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

They look fine but you'll need to locate the pupil/Iris dilation dials to make them larger to get rid of that "deer caught in headlights" look! lol

edited December 1969

Thanks..yeah..that was Load the figure, set the morph, repeat..just to make sure I understood the tech right.

edited December 1969

Pixar won't help you there...Vanellope is from Disney proper :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I made a A4-American morph for G2F, and tried it out.
    Using Aiko anime eyes, what felt like the best skin I had (not a toon skin, though)..
    Next to it is the same figure, but with the Aiko morphs off and Eclypse morph on.

toontest_2-anime_eyes.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 220K
  • j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited November 2014

Just a basic proof of concept render, but The Girl 6 is actually pretty easily morphable into the Disney style. The only thing that differs is the lips, which are easy enough to slim down. After that its just a matter of fiddling.

dis.png
    900 x 1666 - 2M
    Post edited by j cade on
    edited December 1969

...sigh... what I wouldn't give for a pixel-perfect Vanellope von Schweetz morph. That character is so sweet she literally lives in a land made of candy! Easily the most adorable Pixar character ever. Sadly, I think I'd need a Pixar-level skill in modeling before I even attempted such a feat.

Thinking about it, have you looked at Lil Bit from RDNA?

--------------------

Kamion: Hmm..interesting...

edited December 1969

Kamion99 said:
    Just a basic proof of concept render, but The Girl 6 is actually pretty easily morphable into the Disney style. The only thing that differs is the lips, which are easy enough to slim down. After that its just a matter of fiddling.

...oooh that looks really sweet. Maybe Girl6 needs to go on the list.
    edited December 1969

So..(showing my newbieness)...would it be a matter of shaders and skins that would be the key for making the test render above more...toony?

edited November 2014

Yes, I think working on the shaders and textures is the first step towards making a more toony render. You may even want to try not using any textures at all to start, just set the diffuse colors and see how it looks.

You'll probably also want to use a combination of global lighting (like the UberEnviroment, AoA's Advanced Ambient (that's what I use), or even Lux (but you might get too-realistic/creepy results with that) and a directional light for shadows. That will help you avoid having pitch-black areas of the image or character (which do not happen in either cartoons or real life unless you're in a pitch-black room with a very small light source).

Hope that helps a little. :) Good luck!

edit: very nice job Kamion! I like adding just a little bit of Girl 6 head into my female characters to give them more personality.

Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,950
    edited December 1969

Just stumbled across this thread again and decided to see what I could knock out in an hour or so... This is G2F using the Girl 6 body, mixxed with Genx2 ports of Hitomi, Laura, A3, Hailey for YTJulie and V4 Gaia, and a lot of little individual tweaks like Hands Petite and Arms thicken. Skin is Tosca's The Candy Shoppe for Hitomi with eyebrows from Zev0's SkinBuilder.

Elsa_test_1.jpg
    1000 x 1647 - 808K
    edited December 1969

A different shot that makes the Hitomi DNA more obvious. I think if I were trying to build Frozen/Tangled clones, I'd definitely start with her and Girl 6 rather than Jasmine.

Elsa_test_2.jpg
    2000 x 1647 - 1M
  • Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

A different shot that makes the Hitomi DNA more obvious. I think if I were trying to build Frozen/Tangled clones, I'd definitely start with her and Girl 6 rather than Jasmine.

That is some impressive work. Nicely done.

In my mind the recent Disney characters (Frozen, Tangled, Brave) aren't really what I would call "toony." Except for Merida to a small degree, since her face seems a bit more stylized.

They seem to fall somewhere inbetween realistic and toony. Not 50/50 but in various points in-between.

edited November 2014

...yeah, Merida's head shape was a real challenge, particularly starting from the more "realistic" Julie instead of a toon character. Took a lot of individual rescaling on each individual axis and even then, I only was able to get "so close". Had great set of pre-production images to work from though.

Need to figure out how to adjust the AoA's SSS Toon Skin Shader to get better results than I have so far. As I mentioned didn't like the look of her lower face and the eyelashes didn't match up with the edges of the eyelids.

edited December 1969

Legionair said:

That is some impressive work. Nicely done.

In my mind the recent Disney characters (Frozen, Tangled, Brave) aren't really what I would call "toony." Except for Merida to a small degree, since her face seems a bit more stylized.

They seem to fall somewhere inbetween realistic and toony. Not 50/50 but in various points in-between.
    I'd say that they're actually a good bit more 'toony" than many of Disney's conventional cel animated features... look at Sleeping Beauty and Pochanatas, for example.

Personally I wasn't crazy about the look of Brave... I thought How To Train Your Dragon pulled off the same design aesthetic much better... but I think the Disney group made a huge breakthrough with the look of the CG characters on Tangled and those lessons were carried on through wonderfully with Frozen. On the one hand, the faces are wonderfully simplified so that the emotions read well, but they avoid both the made of mushy silicone look of shows like "The Croods" at one extreme and the "doll-like" look that many other CG animations tend to fall into. And on the other hand, the designs fit comfortably in a line up beside characters from The Little Mermaid, Beauty & The Beast, Mulan, etc.

(Really looking forward to Big Hero 6.)

edited December 1969

Well, I tried doing tweaks in a figures face and discovered I really have no idea how to do that kind of stuff :)
    So I set it aside and did some experiments in learning how to make a shag carpet using a texture image and generating a displacement map. (Did I mention I'm rather new at actually doing this :) )

I tried just going diffuse on the figure and it had a nice feel , but something was off...after a while I realized there were no eyebrows...so that squiked me a bit .

@Cybersox13: when you say "This is G2F using the Girl 6 body, mixxed with Genx2 ports of Hitomi, Laura, A3, Hailey for YTJulie and V4 Gaia,"
    Do you have head morphphs for Hitomoi et al that you used, and just using the Girl6 body, ie leaving the head in Genesis form?

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,504
    edited December 1969

On the hair issue. I find that Ali's hairs have a somewhat 'toony look in their original textures. Not too much to use them for a more realistic render, but might make a very good intermediate point for characters that are supposed to look animated.

And heaven knows there are a lot of them. Particularly over on Mankahoo.com where a number of things that have gone through the Clearance collection on Rendo can sometimes still be found.[/quote

If by "Ali's hairs" you mean mine, that's because I tend to swap out the 'real' hair shaders that come with it and substitute my own shaders (which, actually, I use Cookie/Chip toon hair textures or a velvet) which is why they DO look toony. :P It's just a style preference. ;)

edited December 1969

I have to say, comments like "I tend to swap out the ‘real’ hair shaders that come with it and substitute my own shaders (which, actually, I use Cookie/Chip toon hair textures or a velvet" just boggle my mind at the creativity and range of versitility the users around here have...these kind o things wouldn't even occur to me.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited November 2014

My finished Disney style render. I ended up using a Fabiana skin from over at rendo, but the eyes are still from the Girl 6. The I switched over to render in Blender, because I am more used to the SSS there.

Super strong SSS is probably the main thing to make your figure toony, but there really isn't a perfect analogue for a Disney style texture. as far as I can tell, they don't have much in the way of thinks like pores or skin wrinkles, but the lips and eyelids have very distinct texturing. Also, they all have freckles. So many freckles. (I get it Disney, they're cute and relate-able.) Does anyone else have ideas for skin textures? generally I strive for realism, so this isn't exactly my forte.

P.S. I think making this may have given me diabetes... I didn't even like Frozen and Tangled that much. I preferred the Croods!

P.P.S. Did I make the skin too yellow? It was looking super pink, but I may have over-corrected.

edit/ P.P.P.S. I made a super quick morph to smooth out the curves of G6's lip. If I make it slightly less terrible, would anyone be interested?

disney2.png
    900 x 1666 - 2M
    Post edited by j cade on
    edited December 1969

...wow that is really nice.

I wonder if rendering in Lux might not help as well since it handles SSS a bit differently.

edited December 1969

That is an excellent render Kamion. I've had a very difficult few days, and seeing that sort of progress on a toony figure made things a tiny bit better. :)

edited December 1969

I put all this aside for a bit to work on other stuff, BUT it looks like 3DU just put out Willow for G2F
    http://www.daz3d.com/willow-for-genesis-2-female-s

So...maybe that'll be the way to go.

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

So far I've only shared this one with SnowSultan (thanks again for the encouragement!) but here's my attempt at Anna to keep Kamion's adorable Elsa company.

I figured she wouldn't be too great a leap from my avatar character. Turned out to be a lot more work than expected. I admit, I added the blush and freckles and darkened her brows in postwork.... I have a 3d paint program but not that confident in using it yet.

I built this character on top of a custom Genesis base so some morphs were at their limits before I even began, which made it tricky. I think it would be easier to build on top of the G2F Willow. Can't wait to see what SnowSultan and others come up with!

anna_v2_500.png
    500 x 500 - 404K
  • cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

I have an idea: let's share our recipes for the cool characters this thread showcases. What do you think? Exact percentages of all morphs used.

Kamion99 said:
    My finished Disney style render. I ended up using a Fabiana skin from over at rendo, but the eyes are still from the Girl 6. The I switched over to render in Blender, because I am more used to the SSS there.

Super strong SSS is probably the main thing to make your figure toony, but there really isn't a perfect analogue for a Disney style texture. as far as I can tell, they don't have much in the way of thinks like pores or skin wrinkles, but the lips and eyelids have very distinct texturing. Also, they all have freckles. So many freckles. (I get it Disney, they're cute and relate-able.) Does anyone else have ideas for skin textures? generally I strive for realism, so this isn't exactly my forte.

P.S. I think making this may have given me diabetes... I didn't even like Frozen and Tangled that much. I preferred the Croods!

P.P.S. Did I make the skin too yellow? It was looking super pink, but I may have over-corrected.

edit/ P.P.P.S. I made a super quick morph to smooth out the curves of G6's lip. If I make it slightly less terrible, would anyone be interested?

Good. This render made me realise that SuzyQ would be probably easier to morph into Disney girls should we have a clone of her for Genesis (which we don't, sadly). Regarding skins, I'd: go to 3DUniverse's department; think of Hitomi and Candy Factory; maybe LY Sloan or a different character with more even skin (somebody by Sabby?): http://www.daz3d.com/ly-sloan.

http://www.daz3d.com/the-candy-factory
    http://www.daz3d.com/hitomi-3d-anime-girl-for-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/willow-for-genesis-2-female-s
    http://www.daz3d.com/eclypse-for-genesis-2-female
    http://www.daz3d.com/konrad-for-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/sadie-and-sam-for-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/3d-universe-hirotoon-4
    http://www.daz3d.com/3d-universe-aikotoon-4
    http://www.daz3d.com/jazlyn-for-genesis-bundle
    http://www.daz3d.com/kimberly-for-genesis-complete
    http://www.daz3d.com/toon-amy-for-genesis-bundle-1
    http://www.daz3d.com/jason-jasmin-for-genesis-uber-bundle

So far I've only shared this one with SnowSultan (thanks again for the encouragement!) but here's my attempt at Anna to keep Kamion's adorable Elsa company.

I figured she wouldn't be too great a leap from my avatar character. Turned out to be a lot more work than expected. I admit, I added the blush and freckles and darkened her brows in postwork.... I have a 3d paint program but not that confident in using it yet.

I built this character on top of a custom Genesis base so some morphs were at their limits before I even began, which made it tricky. I think it would be easier to build on top of the G2F Willow. Can't wait to see what SnowSultan and others come up with!

Wow, this resemblance is impressive. What hair is that?

edited November 2014

Jindi said:

...nicely done.

...as to the "recipe" for Merida, though she is still a WIP, I'll have to open the file and note down the settings.