Morphing Eclypse or Kimberly into more Disney-esque figures?

Comments

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

@Jindi

Your lighting and skin settings are absolutely perfect! Really matches Disney to a T.

No shame in adding the freckles in post-work, they look great too, and there really aren't any toony freckled textures (that I could find anyway)

@cecilia.robinson

I'll look up my character preset (Still fiddling with it as I can never leave anything alone), I may have to upload a morph or two though.
    Also be warned, it is a looooooot of dials. Is dial spin addiction a thing? Thankfully, I don't think it includes any transferred morphs so it should be doable. (if this were a realistic style figure, there would be no way to make it reliably shareable. I add transferred S4 ribcage and some of D5's bodymorphs to 95%of my ladies; like I said, dial spin addiction).

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited November 2014

Thanks Kamion, your beautiful Elsa inspired me, and I always feel sorry for Anna being left out. All the little girls want to be Elsa in that sparkly dress.... :) I had some trouble with the mouth, which I think is the main reason why she lacks Anna's strong personality, plus of course all those little differences that are hard to define but add up to it being 'not-quite-there'. It was a fun experiment though.

You're right about freckles... 3DU's Sam has a sprinkling of them but nothing else comes to mind, and human freckles would have been too realistic. Oh and dial-spinning should definitely be listed as an addiction.

@Kyoto Kid, thanks. Merida must have been even more of a challenge than the Frozen sisters, she has such a unique look.

@Cecilia, I'd have to start from scratch unfortunately to get all the dials, she was built on top of a custom morph (saved as a single dial). I think you'd be pretty much there for Anna too with Kamion's Elsa. Rounder eyes, lengthen the face a little (especially the chin) and make it rounder than Elsa's. A lot of Anna is in the personality, which is where my attempt fell short. The hair is Autumn Winds, but you'll find those braids are too long and the shorten-morph distorted them for me.

Post edited by IndigoJanson on
  • cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited November 2014

Thank you guys for making them so pretty realistic (I mean, so close to the versions Disney has). For the braids Anna has, I would suggest Lada Hair (Rendo) or, though less close, Hr-074 (or even Hr-077 if she was to go berserk) and for Elsa, either Venom Hair (http://www.daz3d.com/venom-hair) or some single braid by Ali (Rendo): Hr-127 would be the best, but Hr-092, Hr-098, Hr-113 and Hr-091 could add some variety. For the coronation hairdo, I'd choose Knot Hair for V4.

Sam does have freckles. I think the easier thing to do - for your personal use only unless you got the blessing from the vendor - would be putting some freckles onto a toony skin, saving the files with different names and making a material preset.

Post edited by cecilia.robinson on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281
    edited December 1969

Yeah, if you've got a raster editor (and who doesn't?) just open the texture file for the face, save the file with a different name and draw the freckles in where you want them. Save it, and apply that copy in the surfaces tab. (Or whatever the Poser equivalent.) You may need to re-do it a couple of times until you get it right, but then you always have that skin available for that character.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,955
    edited December 1969

..fo Merida I used two instances of 3Dream/Mairy's Bolina Hair one scaled slightly larger than the other to get the fullness.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..fo Merida I used two instances of 3Dream/Mairy's Bolina Hair one scaled slightly larger than the other to get the fullness.

That's a good idea! I would also think about Mairy's Pringipessa Hair - it has many, many addons with different looks, so you could kitbash them.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,560
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jindi for the kind words. :) I'm still in the middle of reinstalling and sorting about a thousand products from DAZ, but I will definitely see what kind of toon I can make with Willow and other characters when I get done. Like Kameon says, spinning dials is fun and still the best hope for getting exactly what you want. ;)

edited December 1969

This isn't Disney-esque, but it did use a tiny bit of Willow and a lot of dial-spinning. It's not often that my own art brings a smile to my face, so I'm pretty happy with this. :)

smacky-chibi.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 361K
  • NaviNavi Posts: 452
    edited November 2014

That's one funky fairy :)

Post edited by Navi on
    edited December 1969

This isn't Disney-esque, but it did use a tiny bit of Willow and a lot of dial-spinning. It's not often that my own art brings a smile to my face, so I'm pretty happy with this. :)

She is not Disney-esque - she is one-of-a-kind, Snow. Bear that in mind please or one of those Pretty3D dominas will go after you :lol:! Really, great things.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,339
    edited December 1969

She is such a cutie, SnowSultan, well done.

edited December 1969

Cute and deadly? Who'd have thought it was possible... Fantastic work SnowSultan!

• MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,683
    edited November 2014

Good job SnowSultan! And she looks Disney-esque to me!
    Love it!

-MJ

Post edited by MJ007 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! I look forward to seeing what you all make next too. Hopefully one of these days, we'll get just the right morph (surely from 3D Universe) and combine it in just the right way to get a true Disney look. :)

edited November 2014

@SnowSultan

I love her! Actually, she reminds me a bit Eep from The Croods. Particularly the concept art (like this http://www.chrissandersart.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Rock_005s.jpg), where she had less caveman-y features. I actually liked the Croods more than Frozen (not an opinion shared by many it seems). It was much more visually adventurous, I thought.

Post edited by j cade on
    edited December 1969

Sooo.... I may have gotten a little (a lot) carried a way in blender.

I still need to tweak the skin settings and I haven't touched the eyes, but who cares? Hair! Sparklies! Woo!

I also want to edit the face shape a bit, but I can do that because I had the forethought to attach the hair to a skullcap.

The pose is nothing Frozen-like at all, (Its one of several poses I've based off Klimt paintings) which doesn't help with the face shape at all.

Anyway... Hair!

elsa2alt.png
    864 x 1598 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Ooh... lovely results Kamion. Did you create the hair yourself? It's perfect!

edited December 1969

Kamion99 said:

I still need to tweak the skin settings and I haven't touched the eyes, but who cares? Hair! Sparklies! Woo!

I also want to edit the face shape a bit, but I can do that because I had the forethought to attach the hair to a skullcap.

The pose is nothing Frozen-like at all, (Its one of several poses I've based off Klimt paintings) which doesn't help with the face shape at all.

Anyway... Hair!

Gorgeous!!! Kamion, you really should publish her. And for eyes, I think either Kimberly's or the ones from Andrea or Aaron for YT (on Fast Grab now). The same with hair, it's stunning. Such amazing things should be public!

edited December 1969

@Jindi

Yup! blender dynamic hair. Even if this isn't my typical style, making this hair has definitely improved my skills. This is really the first blender hair I've been fully satisfied with. It took forever, but I've definitely figured some stuff out.

edited December 1969

Thanks Kamion. :) I haven't seen The Croods but people seem to say it was better than expected.

That's an amazing job with the Blender hair! Blender has so many great features that I wish Studio had. I starting using it briefly a while back, but the complex materials were a bit discouraging (not that it's a bad thing, I just wasn't in the mood to re-learn all of that again). I hope one day DAZ figures will be as easy to manipulate in software outside of Studio.

edited December 1969

...as my modelling skills are not worth mentioning about, I have to stick to pushing the morphing and shaping parameters as much as I can. Would love to see a Toon head morph merchant resource kit.

edited December 1969

Kamion, I forgot to ask, is that new Elsa still the Girl 6-based morph you showed early in this thread? The arms look really thin and different, I assume there's a 3D Universe morph in there as well? Awesome stuff, I need to experiment again. ;)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

Thanks Kamion. :) I haven't seen The Croods but people seem to say it was better than expected.

That's an amazing job with the Blender hair! Blender has so many great features that I wish Studio had. I starting using it briefly a while back, but the complex materials were a bit discouraging (not that it's a bad thing, I just wasn't in the mood to re-learn all of that again). I hope one day DAZ figures will be as easy to manipulate in software outside of Studio.

Some great characters here. I like yours allot Snow.

The Croods was so funny. I about fell out of my chair laughing a few times.

"WHERE ARE MY FEET" was one line and how it was delivered was so good.

Rich

edited December 1969

Well. Out of Touch has just tossed another brick into the gene pool. Not strictly Disney-styled, but another addition to the list of possible morphing sources.

She's called Dolly, for G2F, and is very stylized. A bit of a classic Aiko look to her, but not identical. Rather like a flip side of the Fiends Forever, only not fiendish. (One wonders if there will be a boyfriend?) I'd call her a 'Toon, but purists might not agree with me. But she's definitely not "realistic".

Released on Rendo today with a slew of add-ons.

edited December 1969

...cute and yes, looks like she would be a good base for Pixar characters.

...and she makes a cute little fey.

edited December 1969

A couple of the skins look good as well. Although those are not all on sale.

It's a pity about SuzyQ being Poser only. She and the Dude are very nicely designed toon characters. But I only use Studio.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,065
    edited December 2014

Interesting thread. Been following it since the beginning. On the side I have also been experimenting with something right up this threads alley for quite a while now. Cannot give specifics, but I think it will be cool and will open up new possibilities. It's a project that has been on and off since the beginning of the year, but this thread has sparked my interest in it again. But more about that next year:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,065
    edited December 2014

Kamion99 said:

Anyway... Hair!

I like:) Very good job on the face:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

So in something of a theme I've gone overboard in blender some more; in a different direction now. I have completely remade my morph. Not by dial-spinning, but by modelling!

I think I've now just made this whole thing a big experiment for my future workflow: I've improved my Blender hair technique, made a morph, (and am now modelling some clothing, seriously I can't stop).

Anyway, the morph is here: http://www.sharecg.com/v/78851/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Elsa-Morph-for-Girl-6 I also included a body shaping preset which requires Giselle 6, but the morph itself only needs Girl 6

I am particularly proud of the profile, which is pretty spot on and very unlike any shape there currently is.

The eyes may actually be a hair too big, They are positively Ariel sized, but its pretty easy to dial them down with the Gen2 Face morphs, while getting them up anywhere near that size with said morphs is impossible.

Expressions work surprisingly well, though limits need to be turned off for some things, which can be a pain.

elsa1.png
    800 x 800 - 682K
    elsa2.png
    800 x 800 - 808K
    edited December 1969

Wow. Impressive.