BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►Winter Edition◄◄◄ Theme is *Ʌ*Ʌ* .. FIRE and ICE .. *Ʌ*Ʌ*

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited November 2014 in Bryce Discussion

Twelth DAZ 3D Bryce rendering Challenge

NOW SPONSORED BY DAZ 3D

Theme for this month is "Fire and Ice"
ᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿ

Anything goes; from fire in an igloo to whiskey on the rocks.

Can be a wintery subject, but as always we really look forward to seeing the different and off beat interpretations of the theme.

Bryce must be the main feature of this piece. Imports are allowed where necessary, and postwork too, as long as it doesn’t dominate the image.

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before the render is transferred to the actual Contest thread for judging. You don't have to do that.we collect up all the finished ones and make the thread, with each render given a number and title, but no artist name shown, so it's a blind judging thread for the judging panel.

Rules
~~~~~

All renders must be new renders.

You can enter up to 3 renders.

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.

The winner of the Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the next contest.

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the minimum of delay between contests.

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

Please don't post your entry renders anywhere else until after the Challenge is judged, as judging is done in a blind judging thread, so the Judges don't know who has done which image.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenge ends on 31st December :- Midnight DAZ 3D time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist Place $30
2nd Place $20
3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D Store Credit will be given to the people whose renders are selected as the Honourable mentions,
$10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team and guest judges.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071
    edited December 1969

I did a quick remake of an old scene but I'm not sure I am happy with it. Would it be allowed under the rules?

Volcanoes in Ice.

fire-and-ice.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 524K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

Entry #1 titled "Cold Inferno" :)

Cold_Inferno.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 64K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I was tempted to just do a render of Peter and Dufus standing next to each other :-)

But I couldn't get this picture out of my head.... Bryce to the rescue, it's now out of my head and into other people's eyes. :lol:

IcePepper.jpg
    1110 x 552 - 200K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Nice visual pun Dave.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Especially since you need the "ice" cubes to put out the "fire" of the red hot peppers. :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

A nice pair of renders.

Forget that other image this will be number one for me.

fire-and-ice-2.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 469K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Very cool...Dave,Tim and fishtales....we are off to a good start already....Trish

edited December 1969

Entry #2 Titled "Ice world Meltdown" :)

Ice_World_Meltdown.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 79K
    edited December 1969

Number two.

Ruby and Ice

diamond-and-ruby-001.jpg
    600 x 800 - 48K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Two horizons, the orange one captured in IBL and a blue one, fed through a series of lenses (one being a spherical mapper) to make some wiggly lined abstraction of fire and ice.

Fire+ice1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 968K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

The gun has fired and the horses are out of the starting gate. The race is on. Some real nice images so far.

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

I agree with Guss... Wow! IT IS ON! Great stuff already ...Phew I better get thinking...

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited November 2014

Having done a few boosted-light works recently I stuck with that theme for the below as I like the effects and graininess it offers. Loving the works so far submitted.

Jay

Title - Fusion: Fire and Ice

Fusion.jpg
    1069 x 861 - 793K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Gosh, the entries are flooding in and looking great everyone.

Here's entry No.2 for me
    I made the body suits for the V4 models (the top hats are from the Skulldugggery set), posed them in Poser and imported the pair into Bryce, made the materials look better and added the red and blue flame effect. Rendered and saved as .HDR file.
    No postwork apart from changing from 32bit to 8bit and the slight fiddling with colour that the process involves in Photoshop.

Title: Double Act

FireAndIceGirlsALT.jpg
    975 x 975 - 531K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,294
    edited December 1969

Some really hot and extremely cool looking entries already. Here's my first one.

Title: Lava on the Rocks.
    Used: Space Construction Kit

LavaOnTheRocks.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 337K
    edited December 1969

That came out super, Horo...personally, I would have liked omission of the galaxy/nebulae etc., but can see where you're coming from, and still works.

Jay

edited December 1969

@Jay - thank you. Indeed, from an artistic point of view they spoil the scene. But I started with ice and fire in the sky and then couldn't let go of it.

edited December 1969

@Jay: Really interesting, and colorful, results.

@Dave: Double Act is really a neat idea. Nice work on the suits.

@Horo: Nice work.

edited December 1969

Cheers, Guss...have to admit I'm a bit doubtful about the postwork lens flare thingy, so I think I'd better just upload the one without it.

No offence to those who use postwork, but I hate using it generally myself when working in Bryce, as without it it pushes one towards trying to get around its use. Still, I'll probably eat my own words in the future, and use it again, and again.

Jay

edited December 1969

@Jay - hey purist brother. Exactly my thoughts. Stupid habit because the result counts, not the means how it was arrived at. But being a purist compels one to squeeze the last out of Bryce.

edited December 1969

I think someone here said do whatever it takes to get the results you want. If post work is needed, then use it. If you know how to get the same results using only Bryce, use it. I've used post work in the past to adjust contrast because I didn't/don't know how to accomplish the same thing in Bryce.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,184
    edited December 1969

Great entries from everyone

My first –Blazing Ice

blazingice.jpg
    900 x 675 - 65K
    edited December 1969

Great entries from everyone

My first –Blazing Ice

It is blazing isn't it. I had to turn the heating off while looking at it :-)

Nicely done.

edited December 1969

@ Mermaid - beautiful render, great work :)

@ the post work comments, i myself am a bryce purist as well :) ...but if post work is needed to achieve a result your unsure on how to manage in bryce, then by all means do so :)

edited December 1969

@mermaid: With out temperatures today, that would be the right place to be. Awfully nice work.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2014

@ Mermaid - beautiful render, great work :)

@ the post work comments, i myself am a bryce purist as well :) ...but if post work is needed to achieve a result your unsure on how to manage in bryce, then by all means do so :)

Have to admit that I am a heretic. I love it when I do get what I wanted from a pure Bryce render, but then sometimes I want something that isn't obviously a pure Bryce render, and on occasions I have produced images that don't even look particularly like Bryce at all. It all depends on the mood I am in really

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1309959&user_id=12932&np;&np;

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

@ Chohole - i can understand and respect that :)

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - that's very nice.

I hope I'm not misunderstood by my remark about purists. Post work is not evil at all and a legitimate means to get to the desired result - and that only counts. I entertain this purists attitude only to keep focused on Bryce, as I also said in my interview in the 3D Art Direct Issue 44 (pp p50 to 67) lately.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,184
    edited December 1969

Thanks Sandy, Tim, Guss and Horo for the nice comments

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Here is my first entry... Title: Comet Escaping the Sun's Gravity...Edging Toward Interstellar Space

Comet_escaping_the_Suns_gravity.jpg
    960 x 720 - 348K