Why so many high heels

Comments

• WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

Leana said:

The fact that an outfit is a Daz Originals means that Daz bought it for a fixed sum rather than brokering it and getting a cut of the sales, not that Daz commissioned the artist to create that outfit. 

From what i read of some PAs, DAZ actually do commision some things to them. Specially on DO bundles. Like DAZ reach to the PAs, says the theme and what they are looking for, then they choose what to put in the bundles, what addons, etc but for those products the theme/idea comes from DAZ. I guess that minor some exceptions daz would give some freedom for things like heels and other details.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,050

Some products could definitely be commissioned, what I meant was that having them marked as DO doesn't automatically mean they were. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,592

I would laugh my butt off if we were to find out DAZ told a PA 'no, no, no, give her heels instead, it will sell better" LOL laugh

• kervalakervala Posts: 184

FSMCDesigns said:

I would laugh my butt off if we were to find out DAZ told a PA 'no, no, no, give her heels instead, it will sell better" LOL laugh

LOL yes, me too :D

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    edited April 2021

oops

Post edited by Sevrin on
  • amaragh2@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 199
    edited April 2021

If only more PA's were like this creator : https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-bone-conjurer-outfit-for-genesis-8-females , they did both a heeled and a flat version for the boot. Care about your customers/fans, it's good for business, but what do I know I am just a customer. 

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • kervalakervala Posts: 184

ShadowSkillz said:

If only more PA's were like this creator : https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-bone-conjurer-outfit-for-genesis-8-females , they did both a heeled and a flat version for the boot. Care about your customers/fans, it's good for business, but what do I know I am just a customer. 

Wow, it's so cool, thank you :3

• I did not pay close attention and bought many kinds of battlesuits.
    When I actually used them, I found that the high-heeled battlesuits were too ridiculous to be used in serious situations.
    In still images, I can fool around, but in Movie, it becomes cartoonish.
    Now I pay attention to the feet of products before I buy them, and I often avoid products with only high heels.

• HellwolveHellwolve Posts: 156

I've wondered about this topic myself a few times, too. Same goes for (unncesarily) sexy/sexist outfits, too. And I really feel it's a bit of a catch 22 situation; there are few examples to judge by how well flat soled stuff would sell.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

ShadowSkillz said:

Indeed.  Arki takes great pains with her work, but that also means that she can't produce assets at the same rate as some others, or sell for the same price.  Not everyone is willing to pay the premium that additional attention to detail deserves.  In the end, I'm sure she gets great satisfaction from her amazing creations, but I'm not sure the extra effort pays off financially.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

All story creators should make it a plot point how the heroines failed their quest by getting stuck / falling over their heels :)

And... at least give the guys heels too, since it sells better laugh

kervala said:

And another one :D https://www.daz3d.com/samarah-shadow-rogue-outfit-for-genesis-81-females

yep, wicked outfit, just picked it up!

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,073

kervala said:

And another one :D https://www.daz3d.com/samarah-shadow-rogue-outfit-for-genesis-81-females

It also has the 80s style shoulder pads. laugh

• Paintbox said:

All story creators should make it a plot point how the heroines failed their quest by getting stuck / falling over their heels :)

And... at least give the guys heels too, since it sells better laugh

Don't go giving them any ideas about the guys, they already started with this : https://www.daz3d.com/torridus-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-81-male-and-torment  ;laugh 

• Saw a lot of high heeled jump boots in my time LOL!

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,624

And you can't just flatten the heels in Daz and hope for the shoes to work. The shape of the sole often distorts when you bend it far enough to be flat. You really have to haul the boots into a modeling program and make a flats morph from the existing geometry. That's more a statement of fact than a complaint. I've heard the idea floated that boots can have variable heel lift, but that is a fair amount of extra work to make the morphs needed to achieve that and to account for changes in heel shape relative to height. You probably need/want extra fit poses for the character, too. It's never easy.

• SWTriumSWTrium Posts: 23

FSMCDesigns said:

kervala said:

I wanted to create a new complaint topic against high heels, but I noticed this one.

I planned to purchase the "Brooke 8.1 Gold Marksman Bundle" until I saw this nice medieval outfit had high heels :(

So I won't purchase it...

There are less and less sexy outfits (compared to Genesis 1 or 2 ones), but almost always high heels boots or shoes :( I don't understand the logic behind...

I have a lot of friends on DA who agree with me, they don't like high heels for medieval products and don't purchase them.

Thanks for pointing out that outfit, i hadn't seen it and just just picked it up. As pointed out earlier in this thread I have plenty of none heeled boots I can use if needed and I can see a use for the boots that come with the outfit, win - win for me.

Funny, I figured there would be more of an uproar over the The Drow Mercenary Boots since the first 2 promos show her wearing them in a swamp, LOL. Then i read the description that they were modeled after a fantasy game character which made sense to me as a gamer. One of my fav games is TERA and every female outfit in the game has heels

I have even made a note in some description somewhere that goes something along the lines of, "don't let your models use these boots near any body of water, regardless of what is shown in these promo images" :p Just imagining wet leather makes me cringe, so it's a good thing that fantasy themes are not beholden to real world logic.

As a small note, this pair was co-created for a user with very particular design tastes, which in turn were inspired by the footwear found in Lineage. While I gave my input on the design direction, at the end of the day it had to fit his D&D OC's kit. And I sure have nothing against flat soles, they definitely are far easier to create for models in DS. But TBH I personally like to see my female models in heels, so that factor does influence my designs.

If I had to pitch in for the dual heels argument, I'll say that while it is do-able...I am not privy to any kinda of data, so honestly I dunno if it would even be worth all the effort if only a very small subset of users care or even use the flat version in a dual-heel footwear product. And creating a completely different model for the flat and the high heels would only add to the designing steps.
    Because to create highly detailed dual heel variants on the same boot with a morpher/ standalone with separated sole+heels for easy modifications, it would require not only setting up the whole array of under the hood controllers twice, like Richard mentioned eariler. I would also require creating and rebaking a HD model for texturing, creating multiple texture variants and maybe even alternative UV sets for usage, among other things. Distortions might be easier to get away with the heel/sole have a uniform type shader with few deviations. But stuff like stitches, distinct heel base and other details will smush together badly, if provisions haven't been made to replace them with alternative material sets based on what type of heel is being used.

I might give creating something like this a shot in the near future, but that will be only because it sounds like a nifty thing to accomplish (if done right of course).

• KrzysztofaKrzysztofa Posts: 226

I've been making fantasy characters and I'm getting frustrated at how often I have to kitbash something together because the outfit has high heels or absurd cleavage/neck plunge. I've also had to use geoshells a lot to cover up arms and shoulders. I was going to make a new "How to find non-halloween party fantasy armor?" thread but found this one... please forgive my reviving it if its too old.

I know sex sells etc, but for any vendors reading, please note that some of us actually do want practical female adventurer wear sad

• MKDAWUSSMKDAWUSS Posts: 91

As someone who's an absolute sucker for high heels (and almost always has female characters wearing them, especially in contemporary settings), it can be a bit weird to see them for medieval and earlier settings. It can work for ceremonial equipment, where you're not going to have a whole lot of agile movement and practical function can take a bit of a backseat; but for field wear, where practical function comes into play, things can get a bit complicated. Fantasy allows for a bit more freedom in that regard.

Being able to swap soles might do the trick for versatility, but modelers would know how that works far better than I.

I'm only here on a drive-by, searching for something unrelated and this came up in the results.

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

ShadowSkillz said:

indeed i do have this outtfit too and it's really amazing how she/he pay attention to this and not just go full high heels, also for it was aways a big issue when going for outfits for female characters, cleave is not a big issue for me but the high heels and specially ones which are ridiculous like the most point tiny heel which in real situation you would have to walk a lot carefull to not fall, some artists at last try to make the "heels look a little reasonable but others just goes with the most non practical heels possible to make it's looks like a victoria secret model, i really would love to see artists being good enough to add option for both heels and flat and not just go full heels. 

• I'd be interested in seeing more high heeled sandals for Genesis 3 Female figures, as they are quite lacking in the Shop.

EightiesIsEnough said:

I'd be interested in seeing more high heeled sandals for Genesis 3 Female figures, as they are quite lacking in the Shop.

Good luck with getting anything new made for GF3 from DAZ since it's an older figure

Here is the footwear specific link for GF3 at renderosity, with quite a few options

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/bcs/?TopID=359593.359594&sub_category=3D+Figure+Assets;Footwear&figure=Genesis+3+Female

• VueiyVueiy Posts: 519

FSMCDesigns said:

margrave said:

Leana said:

That's a debate which comes around regularly. Basically the answer is "Because it sells". 

How do they know people don't just kitbash with another pair of boots, though? 

it's what I do all the time and frankly an essential part of creating scenes in 3D IMO.

these 3 are gotos when I don't feel like high heels are needed in a scene

https://www.daz3d.com/flat-boots-2-for-genesis-8-female-s

https://www.daz3d.com/cog-jackboots-for-genesis-8-female

https://www.daz3d.com/s3d-fc-boots-for-genesis-3-and-8-females

THANK YOU!  I somehow managed to miss 2 out of those 3 when they came out.  I get that people have a thing for high heels and all, but most all of my female action heroes are PRACTICAL, so high heels is a strict no-no in most cases.  Don't get me started on fantasy bustiers, lol; the biggest "fantasy" there is that you wouldn't fall out of them when it really counts!

• KrzysztofaKrzysztofa Posts: 226

Vueiy said:

THANK YOU!  I somehow managed to miss 2 out of those 3 when they came out.  I get that people have a thing for high heels and all, but most all of my female action heroes are PRACTICAL, so high heels is a strict no-no in most cases.  Don't get me started on fantasy bustiers, lol; the biggest "fantasy" there is that you wouldn't fall out of them when it really counts!

Haha! If its not a bustier, its a corset over a low cut shirt, or breast-shaped breast-plate.

FSMCDesigns said:

EightiesIsEnough said:

I'd be interested in seeing more high heeled sandals for Genesis 3 Female figures, as they are quite lacking in the Shop.

Good luck with getting anything new made for GF3 from DAZ since it's an older figure

Here is the footwear specific link for GF3 at renderosity, with quite a few options

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/bcs/?TopID=359593.359594&sub_category=3D+Figure+Assets;Footwear&figure=Genesis+3+Female

G8 clothing is backward-compatible to G3. 

https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-Convert-Clothing-G3-to-G8-G8-to-G3-686682065

I tested SY's technique and it works!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5735261/#Comment_5735261

edited June 2021

SY also markets G8 to G3 clones

https://www.daz3d.com/sy-genesis-8-clones-for-genesis-3

And i would check Rendo and sharecg. I think Catherine3678ab and RichardandTracy have both made freebie clones for transferring outfits between various Daz figure models. They're both very generous with their freebie projects!

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • DarthDDarthD Posts: 259

"Because it sells." How do we know the same outfits will sell less if they don't have high heels? Has this ever been tested? Perhaps offer the outfit with heels and offer it without then seen which one sells more? Has there ever been an official survey to find out what customers want?

I have also stopped purchasing outfits that come only with high heels. I never use them and it's too much trouble to get something else to work. It's easier to skip the product and look for something else. 

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

DarthD said:

"Because it sells." How do we know the same outfits will sell less if they don't have high heels? Has this ever been tested? Perhaps offer the outfit with heels and offer it without then seen which one sells more? Has there ever been an official survey to find out what customers want?

I have also stopped purchasing outfits that come only with high heels. I never use them and it's too much trouble to get something else to work. It's easier to skip the product and look for something else. 

this is something which i do agree and bug me, because how you know the reason the outfit sold was because of the heels????, i do have a lot of outfitfs/amor which i do feel are amazing but never bought because of the heels, then some peoples which also see it's cool ended ignoring the "heels" and bought it anyway, the only way we cold know what "sells" more is have 2 versions of the outfit and see which ones sells more otherwise the most practical way would be or have the outfit come with a flat and heels version like a unique artist here, or maybe add a "flat/heels" morph to the boots where the user can choose between "flat" and heels, it would make things much more easy and make everyone happy, is a little more "work but" would means a lot in sales. 

This is a small market and because of it PAs are probably not willing to take as many chances, especially those that do this for a living on "a chance" something might sell. I have seen quite a few threads wre users were asking for a male product and a PA chimed in with their sales results after making a product outside their comfort zone that didn't sell and that one product was enough for them to not do it again. The PAs know what works for them and what doesn't when it comes to sales, we don't. Just because something makes sense to us, doesn't mean it makes sense in reality. users already cry that the prices here are to high, so if a PA took the extra time to create extra shoes, then that would increase the price, so that is another gamble the PA has to take when it comes to creating/losing sales..