2014 Holiday Season Carrara Challenge (#14) - Entries: WINNERS ANNOUNCED.

Comments

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Here are my four choices.

- Artist: booksbydavid
    - Entry Title: Winter’s Sister is Coming (too)

- Artist: Antara
    - Entry Title: Winter Holiday Is Here.

- Artist: Roygee
    - Entry title: Winter Blizzard is Coming

- Artist: Varsel
    - Entry Title: Winter Queen is Coming

Too many honourable mentions to pick just one. Really nice work across the board this time. Props to EP for using The Dells. I like the cultural reference in DUDU's The Last Sun. Misty's Winter Magick Spirit Is Coming also caught my eye.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

OK, I had a hard time choosing between 3rd place and Honorable Mention, as I think they're equally good.

1st - Entry #6 - MDO2010 (Mark Olsen) - (That Crazy) Winter Jogger Is Coming
    2nd - Entry #9 - evilproducer - The Ice Age (An eon of winter is here)
    3rd - Entry #20 - Antara - Winter Holiday Is Here
    4th - Entry #18 - stringtheory9 - Winter Powder is Here

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Ha what amazing work everyone!!

my votes

Entry #: 7
    Artist name: evilproducer
    Entry Title: Along the rustic road ( Winter is here).

Entry #5
    -Artist: Roygee
    -Entry title: Winter Blizzard is Coming

Entry #13
    Artist Name: Fenric
    Title: Winter Weather is Coming

- Entry # 11
    - Artist Varsel
    - Entry Title = Winter Queen is Coming

I could have just as easily have picked another 4, but I went with the ones that gave me the feeling of chill the most
    a very solid bunch of images and very hard to choose,

and great to see a few new faces on board.

Congrats to all who participated. It's one of the best ways for us to improve our skills I think.

Nice work once more Antara.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 2014

This is not an easy one to judge! The talent of all the artists is very evident.

I want to give special mentions to the new Carrara users that have put their work, and by extension, themselves out there. Congratulations! It is a scary thing to do, so I commend you on your courage. I mean that very sincerely. Whatever the outcome of the voting, you can hold your heads high. I would encourage you to continue with these challenges. Even if a theme doesn't appeal to you, at least follow the WIP threads, and if you see something you don't quite understand, ask as many questions as you want!

Now to the task at hand (by entry order):

Entry #2 by DarwinsMishap.
    A very, very good use of terrains, atmosphere, clouds and replicators. It has a realistic yet painterly look to it as well.

Entry #6 by Mark D. Olsen.
    Lots of really neat details hidden in this one. Great use of the modelers. Cool use of replicated lights. Nice humor in some of those little details- I encourage everyone to look at all of the great entries at full resolution, but especially this one.

Entry #11 by Varsel.
    This is a really neat concept and very well executed. The frost on the grass ahead of the snow queen not only helps sell the forward momentum, but gives a sense of the oncoming cold.

Entry #18 by stringtheory9
    The artist really had some unique and effective ways of using the fire primitive to create everything from smoke to kicked up powder. The sense of movement is excellent. The attention to detail is also amazing from the ski tracks to the lodge on the lake shore.

I would like to suggest a possible Honorable Mention.
    Entry #14 by Chickenman.
    Very cool characters. The wardrobe is detailed and very appropriate- plus you used dynamic hair on the clothes! The lighting is good and reminded me of cold winter sunsets in my neck of the woods.

The one part of the these challenges that is the hardest is voting. I inevitably feel a little guilty because I didn't choose this picture or that picture. So, I want to emphasize again how good they all are and that no snubs are intended!

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

In no special order

Here is my choices....

- Entry # 1 - Artist name: Pimpy - Entry Title : Winter Holiday is coming

- Entry # 8 - Artist name: booksbydavid - Entry Title: Winter’s Sister is Coming (too)

- Entry #14 - Artist name: Chickenman - Entry Title = Winter Fun Is Comming

-Entry #18 -Artist name: stringtheory9 -Entry Title: Winter Powder is Here

It wasn't easy to choose... They do all have something to them.
    But I was at the end going for the inspirational element (although my own pictures might be more scary than inspirational)

And it's good to see all the new faces here.
    I do hope you will all continue to participate in the forthcoming challenges.

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Definitely not easy.

pimpy #1 - Winter Holiday is Coming

MDO2010 #6 - Winter Jogger is Coming

Fenric #13 - Winter Weather is Coming

Antara #20 - Winter Holiday is Coming

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited December 2014

With all the talent on display in this challenge it was not easy getting my list down to only these 4.

In order of submission:

Entry #: 8
    Artist: booksbydavid
    Title: Winter’s Sister is Coming (too)

Entry #: 9
    Artist: evilproducer
    Title: The Ice Age. (An eon of winter is here)

Entry #: 11
    Artist: Varsel
    Title: Winter Queen is Coming

Entry #: 20
    Artist: Antara
    Title: Winter Holiday Is Here

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

I keep going round and round, very very difficult to narrow this down to 4 choices. I'm going to type fast with my picks, cause chances are in 10 minutes I'll have talked myself out of my choices and want to choose a different selection of 4 :) Great work from everybody on this one!

Entry # 1
    Artist name: Pimpy
    Entry Title : Winter Holiday is coming

It's not often that an image composed nearly entirely of snow will make me feel warm and fuzzy. I heart this render :)

Entry #: 18
    Artist name: stringtheory9
    Entry Title: Winter Powder is Here

Great googely moogely, all this was done from a new user of Carrara? Is 'genius' the word I'm looking for? Doesn't seem strong enough. I was nearly convinced some parts of the scenes were spliced-in photos. There is even smoke on the little bitty ski lodge down below, and those ski trails, and that powder spray, and he modeled the clothes and the terrain and the... holy moly! I live in Utah, and my mom goes skiing every day (except Sundays). I don't go that often, but honestly this all looks exactly right to me.

Entry #: 6
    Artist Name: Mark D. Olsen (MDO2010)
    Entry Title: (That Crazy) Winter Jogger Is Coming

It's a pretty render at a glance, but well worth blowing it up to full size and looking all the not-so-obvious details. So many, many little details, all done right.

Entry #:9
    Artist name: evilproducer
    Entry Title: The Ice Age. (An eon of winter is here)

Just a gorgeous, nuanced and very textured scene. It's obvious lots of time was taken on the little details, and the realism shines through.

Ok it's killing me, so I've got to mention how great the other entries were, and I particularly want to mention Diomede, Fenric, Antara, and Chickenman, and Roygee's awesome wolf, any of which could have easily edged into my top picks. Just stellar, stellar work. I love Christmas time :)

• sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited December 1969

Antara, this is a fantastic challenge theme! Congratulations everyone on such lovely entries! There is such beauty, originality, and skill exhibited that voting is truly a challenge.

Here are my picks in numerical order:

Pimpy
    Winter holiday is coming
    -- This scene is very well composed, a wonderful concept, makes me happy, and has a beautiful setting.

evilproducer
    The ice age (an eon of winter is coming)
    -- There is so much lovely detail in this scene. I get a chill from it because the winter elements are so convincing. I could imagine this as a banner outside a natural history museum. I particularly appreciate the detailed geology of the Dells and inclusion of wooly mammoths.

Varsel
    Winter queen is coming
    -- I love the concept. It is very original and well realized. The composition is lovely. The fur on the polar bears is particularly striking.

Fenric
    Winter weather is coming
    -- This is a gorgeous image. The composition is excellent. I love the expansiveness of the terrain, the isolation of the fox, the texture of the vegetation, the beautiful winter sky, and the mouse. The image comes off as so crunchy and cold.

Thank you all and good luck. Happy New Year!

sukyL

• gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

The entries were all very good and picking out my favorites was difficult but here goes:

Entry # 3, Dudu, "The Last Sun"

Entry # 8, booksbydavid, "Winter's Sister is coming (too)"

Entry # 13, Fenric, "Winter weather is coming"

Entry # 15, Antara "My winter weather is home"

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

UPDATE:

sukyL and head wax have kindly agreed to help me determine the Newcomer winners.
    I way winnerS, because sukyL is also very generously donating a Honourable Mention prize for the newcomer category! - $10 DAZ gift sertificate.

I will have to close the voting a bit early today: 11:00PM EST December 30th. So, please get in your votes before then!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

In no particular order --

Entry # 1
    Artist name: Pimpy
    Entry Title : Winter Holiday is coming

Entry Title: (That Crazy) Winter Jogger Is Coming

Artist Varsel

Entry Title = Winter weather is Here
    Entry #13

Artist Name: Fenric
    Title: Winter Weather is Coming

well done everyone, you did very well :-)

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

Here is my vote in no particular order.

Fenric #13 - Winter Weather is Coming

Entry #: 9
    Artist: evilproducer
    Title: The Ice Age. (An eon of winter is here)

Entry # 12
    Artist Varsel
    Title = Winter weather is Here

Entry #: 6
    Title: (That Crazy) Winter Jogger Is Coming

It was rather hard to pick as they are all so well done.

Good Work Everyone.

edited December 2014

This vote will be the last one counted. So if you make it before this gets posted - yours is in :)

My votes, in order of entry:

#1 by pimpy Winter Holiday is coming
    Lovely scene. The best Holiday card I've seen this season. The strength of emotion shown through such unconventional characters is wonderful. Personally, I find these snowpeople more expressive than Disney's one in Frozen....

#9 by evilproducer The Ice Age. (An eon of winter is here)
    Visually striking and chilling. Beautiful sense of winter. And the mammoths are perfect!

#11 by Varsel Winter Queen is Coming
    This scene is breathtakingly beautiful, imaginative, complex and has both great detail and strong at-a-glance appeal: something I've been looking for in this Challenge entries. It has whimsy, beautiful nature and great fantasy illustration look. Perfect.

#18 by stringtheory9 Winter Powder is Here

This image is amazing on it's own merit. The fact that it was created by a newcomer is astounding. The composition is perfect, the details are fascinating. The lighting, the mood, the setup, the trail, the pose, the powder! - everything is unbelievably well created, technically flawless and beautiful. There is just one tiny bit of criticism I have for this image - the expression of the character is too blank.

Post edited by Antara on
    edited December 2014

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED. Stay tuned for the winners :)

We have some ties, so I've asked sukyL to help me break the ties. We'll try to sort it out tomorrow to have the winners announcement on time (Dec. 31)

Post edited by Antara on
    edited December 1969

Happy New Year, everyone!!!

I have the winners, but I will make the full update tomorrow. For now just the list here:

1st place: Varsel with #11
    2nd place: stringtheory9 with #18
    3rd place: MDO2010 with #6
    HM: evilproducer with #9

Newcomer winner: Chickenman
    Newcomer HM: Misty Whisky

Congratulations to all the winners!!!
    And participants, too! Thank you all for participating!!!

I will contact winners about prize arrangements tomorrow or on Friday.
    In the meanwhile, Happy New Year!

P.S. Varsel, start thinking about next challenge theme and rules :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 2014

Fantastic! Congrats to the winners, it was a challenge that produced brilliant work. And especial congrats to chicken man and misty whiskey, ;) and wonderful work Antara. Again.,

Misty Whisky sorry autofill is a pita!

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,348
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to all of the winners, excellent work.
    Also excellent work by the all of the contestants especially the Noobies !!!!!!!

Job extremely well done by Antara and your support crew, please take a bow, a breather, and pass the Baton to Varsel.

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Congratulations all round and I wish everyone a great year ahead!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to all of the winners. the difference between voting per image versus per artist has bitten Varsel before so I am very happy that justice has finally been served. Great work this month, and every month. Very happy to see such a variety of interpretations and approaches, and some new faces. Nice one, Antara. Thanks Daz and jack Tomlin and howler and SukyL for supporting the challenges.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Congratulations everybody!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Congratulation to all the participants, I think that all the entries were excellent, each one in his style…
    HAPPY NEW YEAR with a lot of nice renders !!! :-)

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to everyone!

Mark

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to all of the winners and happy New Year!

• sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners! A hearty Well Done! to all participants for such great WIPs and entries. Great challenge, Antara! I loved the theme and addition of the the new user category. And, Wow! for the uber generous sponsors -- DAZ 3D, Jack Tomalin, and Philip Staiger.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited January 2015

Happy New Year to all! And very well done to all participants. The votes were very close which completely highlights just how good all of the entries were!

Thank you Antara for all such a great challenge and all that you have done!

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

As you noticed certainly with my entry in this challenge, I'm impassioned of the ethnic minorities, therefore, their traditions.
    Here a video which, while being in connection with the topic of this challenge, shows us that these “minorities” are well integrated in our modern world.
    And moreover, in the world of animation and the video games...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yefBjvyTYM

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

aww thanks!!

cheers all! :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Wow!
    Congratulations, all! Very nice pages of renders! Well done ;)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to all the winners :) This was a particularly difficult one to judge - so many great entries.

Well done Antara for an inspirational subject and all the helping hands along the way