Rim Light Rig | Commercial |

MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
edited December 2014 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Rim Light Rig is a combination prop and multiple light set for figures and props. The dramatic effect is a halo outline and silhouette that separates prop/figure from background adding dimension to your scene. The spotlights are parented to a non-rendering torus for easy positioning and scaling to fit your main subject. All of the spotlights follow a light target for the ability draw attention where you want it.

Rim Light Rig

I hope you enjoy the promo pics, there are quite a few. I had so much fun testing and refining this product- I just couldn't stop composing and rendering.

Please do- post any questions, comments or renders here!

RLR_Marshian_Shaders.png
1504 x 570 - 308K
RLR-Marshian.png
1322 x 1045 - 507K
Post edited by Marshian on

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

This looks great. Thanks for making it! It is in my cart right now, and I'm checking to make sure I need nothing else on sale. Good job. =-)

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

I really love them. Here are two quick renders with the Rim Lights and my bear cub under development. Look at my Hair fur obviously.

bearCubRim2.jpg
    491 x 650 - 138K
    bearCubRim1.jpg
    491 x 650 - 122K
    edited December 1969

One thing I have to say I really appreciate is the fact that you named the lights. So many times I open a file, and wonder- er what lights did I use there? I have taken to naming them. Now I don't have to. Thank ye!

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

There was something similar in the store, but I found out it was exclusive to Poser, which made me rather disappointed... So very glad this has been made!

edited December 2014

I have a question about the light target. When setting up the rim light, do you move the light target in front of the character or object in the scene?

EDIT: I see you do this in your instruction promo art. By default I am just clicking on the character and applying the light. but not sure what is the best technique.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited December 1969

Congrats Marshian! It looks like a really excellent product and I still love your promos for it. I haven't picked it up yet but I will! It might hurt switching back to UE and Daz default lights after falling in love with AoA's lights. :p

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,268
    edited December 1969

This is quite beautiful... from another post:

ringlight.jpg
    1605 x 1125 - 587K
  • MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 2014

I have a question about the light target. When setting up the rim light, do you move the light target in front of the character or object in the scene?

EDIT: I see you do this in your instruction promo art. By default I am just clicking on the character and applying the light. but not sure what is the best technique.

What you have opened up here is difference between explaining the idea easily in one image (the promo pic) and what really needs to happen... the best place for the target is actually IMO in the center of the head where you can't see it.

Post edited by Marshian on
    edited December 1969

nemesis10 said:

Great to see! Seeing other peoples renders and comments is one of the sweetest apsects of creating products.

edited December 1969

Here's mine. Love the lights! =-)

blue-rim.jpg
    800 x 800 - 367K
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,662
    edited December 2014

I am having a serious problem with the Rig - when I delete it, specifically the Rim Light Target, from a scene it crashes DAZ Studio. I tried doing File/New and it hangs up. Is there some trick to removing the rig other than shutting down DS? Has anyone else had this happen?

I am running the 4.7 and I've never had this problem with anything else.

Thanks. (Seems like a really handy product.)

Also, I am getting a lot of "fireflies" in the dark areas. I've only seen those before in Reality renders. I turned off all of the specular lights and it didn't help. The UE is set at your default (a setting a generally use.)

Post edited by luci45 on
    edited December 1969

I have a question about the hair/grass/feathers and the fabric/wings/leaves

Are there any tips on using those shaders? Is there a specific light I should apply them too.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Are there any tips on using those shaders? Is there a specific light I should apply them too.

I would like to know this also...here's my first render using the rim lights.

rimlights_1.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Here's mine. Love the lights! =-)

Great! Tanks for posting. If you are willing to try another with the same scene- take the width of the torus up to 150% or 200% and you might get some nice highlights on the gun too.

edited December 1969

nemesis10 said:

Very nice! I really like how subtle and yet intense this is. The light transmitting through the skin (SSS) around the neck is a tasty area.

edited December 1969

Luci45 said:
    I am having a serious problem with the Rig - when I delete it, specifically the Rim Light Target, from a scene it crashes DAZ Studio. I tried doing File/New and it hangs up. Is there some trick to removing the rig other than shutting down DS? Has anyone else had this happen?

Also, I am getting a lot of "fireflies" in the dark areas. I've only seen those before in Reality renders. I turned off all of the specular lights and it didn't help. The UE is set at your default (a setting a generally use.)

Hi Luci45. That sounds frustrating for sure. The testers and I didn't experience the crashing problem. I would search the forum for general topics related crashing on load or delete.

fireflies- if your render settings/shading rate is at .20 or under, you have progressive rendering turned off, and the spotlights remaining still have shadows turned on I'm not sure what this could be. I would try a test scene with some simple models (that don't use SSS or transmaps) and see if it is still happening. If you are interested in posting a screen cap I may be able to help you troubleshoot some more.

One of the presets "RLR Bright" is pretty extreme, were you using this?

I'm standing by....

edited December 1969

Those shaders work with any of the Rim Light Rig presets. You might find that some of the colored spotlight presets can override the shaders. For instance if you apply the blonde shader to your figures hair but load the RLR Red preset the red is going to overpower the blonde hair, it will still glow from behind like it's being backlit but it will be red.

No tips other than select the surface you want to adjust- Command or Control click then Ignore/Accept.

These shaders work with any lights really but if you have a lot of front light on your subject you might find these areas being too bright. They really are meant to be backlit.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

I would like to know this also...here's my first render using the rim lights.

Thanks for posting Pendraia! Nice and subtle. I like your choice on the dark background. The leaves on the floor plane are a good choice too, a dark and busy floor works well the this rig to put focus on the figure.

edited December 1969

Saiyaness said:
    Congrats Marshian! It looks like a really excellent product and I still love your promos for it. I haven't picked it up yet but I will! It might hurt switching back to UE and Daz default lights after falling in love with AoA's lights. :p

Thank you Saiyaness- I have the AoA lights but haven't really learned how to use them well enough yet. This is a great idea for a product update!

edited December 1969

There was something similar in the store, but I found out it was exclusive to Poser, which made me rather disappointed... So very glad this has been made!

Xenomorphine- Wow I didn't know about that! My initial research usually includes a trip to the store to see if there is something similar, I missed this one.

Oh by the way- Now that I have two new products in the store and have found a new way to create props (geometry) I'm back to some of the winter products we were brainstorming on.

edited December 1969

Luci45 said:

Luci45- I have another idea for you and it's more of a "quick fix all" so it is a guess for sure- I've heard its not a good idea to install products while DS is open so- make sure DS is not running then go to the DIM and uninstall/reinstall the Rim Light Rig.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

marshian said:
    Xenomorphine- Wow I didn't know about that! My initial research usually includes a trip to the store to see if there is something similar, I missed this one.

Located it:

http://www.daz3d.com/comic-book-silhouette-lights-presets

As I recalled, it's Poser-only. Not quite sure how that one worked, but I really like the concept you came up with: A ring of lights which auto-follow a target. Not sure if it'll work in Reality, but I plan on doing a lot with this, regardless. :) Going to test it later.

Oh by the way- Now that I have two new products in the store and have found a new way to create props (geometry) I'm back to some of the winter products we were brainstorming on.

Excellent! I was just thinking of that, the other day... Hope progress is going well. :) Still think it's a shame the water stuff didn't get through... Have been in serious need of something like that.

edited December 2014

marshian said:
    Luci45 said:

Luci45- I have another idea for you and it's more of a "quick fix all" so it is a guess for sure- I've heard its not a good idea to install products while DS is open so- make sure DS is not running then go to the DIM and uninstall/reinstall the Rim Light Rig.

Thanks. I tried it and still no luck. I'll put in a support ticket. Really strange. :-S

Edit: I just saw your other response. I will look on the forums for possible reasons for crashing on delete. Thanks

Post edited by luci45 on
  • alkenalken Posts: 253
    edited December 2014

I really like this product, it saves a lot of light positioning time. Here's a test render using your rim light rig combined with my own lighting.

FYI, DS crashes on me if I delete the target ball. It does not crash when I delete the light rig.

rimtest1.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 496K
    Post edited by alken on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 2014

Thanks...I think this light set is going to get a lot of use!

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • MarciusMarcius Posts: 91
    edited December 1969

Hi, I think is a great product you have, but I'm having the same problem as Luci45, when I try to delete the lights from scene DS crashes. Also when I use the hair shaders, it increases dramaticaly the render time.

edited December 1969

Here is one I was working on when my electricity went out last night, and it wasn't saved. It needs light from the doorway to make it believable but looks very promising. I turned off the specular lights and the 6, 4 and 8 o'clock ones. This has a UE light with a map and and overhead AoA Spotlight. I did a second render with just the rim lights on the walking figure only and added the layer in Photoshop. So the second render shows it without the rim lights.

I saved just the lights w/o the ball and torus. Not as handy but it doesn't crash DS.

I think the firefly problem is caused by either displacement or bump maps catching the light. It was only on men's faces where maybe there was scruff texture. Not a problem on the female or gray with no texture.

boho_girl_night_wo_.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 525K
    boho_girl_night_w_.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 529K
  • ameesa001@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to tell you how much I like this set and I also picked up the ALR set. Had to wait till payday to get them, then the weekend to do a test run. I also picked up Cara HD at the same time, put her together with your Rim Light Rig and LOVE the results. I think though, I picked the most demanding hair I possibly could have. Anyway here is my first test using your set. No postwork done on render.

Cara_rimlit.jpg
    1002 x 910 - 215K
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 2014

Oh that came out awesome :-)

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

Wow. Very cool product. I'm interested. :)