• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited January 2018

Contortionist:

The Contortionist

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited January 2018

Peaches

I am also working on a still life with peaches. I modeled the vase, the dish, peaches and leaves in Hexagon. I am still working on it. But I did a few test renders and am having difficulty getting the lighting just how I want it. I just can't quite figure out the new rendering settings.

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited January 2018

This is a rehash of some ideas from this old post on another blog called DailySketchies. This time some experimentation is done in digital 3D format using DAZ3D. Renderosity in the case of the asian figure. The hair is Stalker Girlfriend or some such thing and the glasses were purchased over on turbosquid.com. I had to export them from Hexagon and set the heirarchy and joint pivots, but they worked out pretty nicely.

One question that I have to work out is how to control the specularity.  It is too much in this image. This is a G3F figure and as I didn't have the handy G2F IRay Material shader for this figure, I used the default IRay Uber shader.

Also, I could have post-finessed some things like the hairline, but I just wanted to do what I could purely in Daz at the moment. I could however do some further detailing. That Stalker Girlfriend hair was not made specifically for the G3F, so that could be some of it...

I have to say that one of the first things a person has to do to make their renders more interesting is to NOT use the default V6, or whatever character defaults. It becomes so recognizeable in everyone's work. It is important to begin to develop your characters by purchasing some morphs that can be adjusted to give yourself some randomeness and individuality to your figures. Whether it is strictly face morphs, or age morphs too. The more you can vary from the mean average symetrical settings and average concept of beauty, the more interesting you can make your characters. I myself need to work on this some more. It is the worst in my mind of a character's face looks like the G2M or Michael 4 right our of the box. Variation is the spice! There also can be purchased on DAZ and elsewhere for a very economical price some variations. Those can be further tweaked with morph tool settings.

For instance, I just bought one for a render that is close to my subject, but out of the box it looks a little too much like Johnny Dep. I need to tweak on that to get it to where I want it. I will post that soon.

Another point: I am not at all sensitive about building my own characters myself. I mean by this, that when I draw a person with a pencil, I do not create the person, or the subject. I just arrange lighting, textures, outfits, correograph, etc. I can sometimes create variations myself, but my machines and software gives me some limitations. So, most of my characters I buy and tweak, and Mashup. Cool things can be achieved by knowing how to mix and match packages well.

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited January 2018

Here is another experiments I did recently. The concept came from a watercolor painting I did back in 1988 or so. I wanted to duplicate a similar setting with the umbrellas. The architecture here with exception of the awning is taken from another package.  I would like to work on the actual architecture and do an update. It is based on an actual bar called Paddy's in Portland Oregon, but the original scene was a while ago, hence things have changed a bit since.

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited January 2018

Correcting a rough draft image of a model in a painter's studio.

Because I like to go back to images I have made while learning and fix them, let's put this image out as a case study. There are several issues with it, but the first to solve if I want to make it workable is fixing the tutu. How will I go about making the tutu scrunch convincingly in some areas and ruffle out properly in other areas to create a convincing impression of a proper tutu?

Tutu Trouble

Post edited by Rakuda on
  • D.RobinsonD.Robinson Posts: 283

You my friend have a keen eye for art. I am following this thread for awhile your concepts and ideas are wonderful. I am a newbie myself but your works are above and beyond anything i have achieved thus far i am amazed.

Daniel

Thanks Daniel! I'm looking forward to figuring some things out here too. See you around...

:)

edited January 2018

Getting back into things after a break. Here is a first bit of playing with DForce. Perhaps with a little DForce, I will figure out a problem I was having before with a ballet tutu.

Marissa_01.jpg
    1483 x 1920 - 955K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited January 2018

Also, here is another one that I set up recently. It is amazing what improvements a few investments like some backdrop textures, a little knowlege about emissive planes and some custom morphs and textures can do to vary up the scene.

Also, I think soon, I will post some freebie pose sets that I am assembling. Perhaps somebody will appreciate them.

Mei.jpg
    695 x 900 - 442K
    Mei2.jpg
    695 x 900 - 419K
    Mei_Boa.jpg
    695 x 900 - 494K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited January 2018

Lastly, I was working on setting up a sort of 3D representation of a studio. Here are some  progress shots showing from a primitive state to a more developed setup. Hope to keep it building.Later, on, I hope to build some more imaginative sets.

A little sloppy with the above drapery on the stage, but I was really testing the windows that I built out.

so... there's that ;-)

distant_pose2.png
    1200 x 675 - 2M
    Pose1208B.png
    1200 x 1976 - 6M
    Studio-2018-01-01.jpg
    1200 x 1976 - 3M
    2018-01-04.jpg
    1526 x 1976 - 4M
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Wow, I like your everyday arcana, art studio, burlesque, and portrait style renders, one & all.

Thanks nonesuch00! I just realized that the images were only showing tiny if I didn't embed them in the post. Now that is better. Gonna try and sharpen up some of these in some more finished drafts.

edited January 2018

Here are some test renders done last night to compare the realism of different hair sets on the same model. So far, I think that I like the Fane Hair for it's naturalism. The Angel Spring Hair had all sorts of artifacts in the hair when I set it to model in Plastic ode, so I schanged it to matte.

I also need to research who makes some good eyelashes and remove the image-mapped eyelashes and brows from my model so they stand of the surface and approximate the eye shown here in eyelashes, but also in brightness. A certain amount of that is dependent on lighting and looking at the eye shown the reflections make the lighting of the studio pretty apparent. Right now the eyes in  my renders are a bit dead.

Fane Hair

Angel Spring hair

Avelyn Hair

Tulip Hair

Fane_Hair_Daniela.jpg
    2000 x 3236 - 6M
    Daniela_AngelSpringHair.jpg
    2000 x 3236 - 7M
    Avelyn_Hair_Daniela.jpg
    2000 x 3236 - 6M
    Tulip_Hair_Daniela.jpg
    2000 x 3236 - 5M
    Daniela_Eye.jpg
    754 x 576 - 314K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 895

Your first attempts are a thousand folder then my first attempts.... Look forward to more from you....

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited January 2018

That was a long break!  Welcome back!  I'm interested in seeing how your model progresses.  One thing to look for on the hair, are the textures 3Delight or Iray?  You can convert them to Iray if they are 3Delight and they will look better.  You can also go into the surfaces tab and change the smoothing iterations up to 3 or 4 and see if that helps.

Edited to add that there are some very good Iray hair shaders that can make a big difference in how some of the hairs look.  And they work across generations of hair mostly pretty well.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited January 2018

Thank you Kenmo! ^__^

Yes IceDragonArt, it was too long. I get distracted easily sometimes. Need to post more regularly if I want to  improve at all. I will look into shaders. I know they can make a big difference as you state. I have never played with the smoothing iterations before. I'll see what effect it has. DO you have an example of some hair shaders that you consider high quality?

Here I set up this character based on a model I drew last night. The sketches are some quick two minute ideas of what the model was doing.

Pose1

Coreytaudet posted in another thread today how eyes can make or break an image in making it look real, or at least full of life. That made me want to do a closeup experiment. I noticed that when an eye material diffuse map is set on the iris, sometimes the base color is usually white. I changed it in this case to be a light shade of brown. I think in this case, it gave the eyes a little more depth. This BTW, was a G3F figure.

P.S. - If I can get it together, I will post a set of G3F poses in a zip  on sharecg.com or some such place. I think I have 7 more poses to add to this set.

001.jpg
    900 x 1456 - 829K
    002.jpg
    900 x 1456 - 862K
    003.jpg
    900 x 1456 - 884K
    005.jpg
    900 x 1456 - 831K
    20180126174347983_Page_1.jpg
    600 x 489 - 109K
    20180126174347983_Page_2.jpg
    600 x 494 - 118K
    006.jpg
    900 x 1456 - 887K
    007.jpg
    900 x 1456 - 418K
    008.jpg
    900 x 1456 - 468K
    010.jpg
    900 x 1456 - 417K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited January 2018

I'm looking for a tutu  model with a lot of frill and volume kind of like this one. It is hard to find. I have experimented with different models, but haven't really found what I was looking for. I tried "El Cisne on Renderosity. I also tried "Ballerina Outfit for Genesis 2 Female", but it really doesn't have enough volume either.

Anybody know of a good frilly tutu model?

Here's the most similar treatment I could get off-hand with what I have.

tutu_image.jpg
    2112 x 2816 - 2M
    skirt01.jpg
    1526 x 1976 - 698K
    Post edited by Rakuda on

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on the shaders. I do actually have some recommendations.

UHT Hair Shaders of Iray -  There are two add ons for this Ultimate and Fantasy

IDG Hair Essentials Shaders

UHT2 Ultimate Color - If you are only going to get one, get this one.

I can't help on the tutu, I don't think I have any in my runtime except for one for the Kids 4

edited January 2018

Thanks Sonja,

I will check those shaders out and get back on that subject. The UHT2 Ultimate Color set does look like the better of the bunch.

On a side-note, here is a dForce experiment from this week using a deformed tube made in Hexagon.

The green shader could have been anything I suppose, but it was from DG Iray Surface Builder - Leather Suede Velvet - Shaders and Merchant Resource with heightened cutout opacity.

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited January 2018

Finished off the day by setting up a few beat up wooden boxes in Hexagon and mapped some battered textures to them and rendered them up in Daz 3D. Simple, but effective. A little specularity and normal map would be a nice touch if I get to it.

box_hex.JPG
    600 x 323 - 81K
    box_thumb.jpg
    250 x 250 - 50K
    box_render2_sm.jpg
    1486 x 984 - 579K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited January 2018

Setting up a fantasy two layered skirt this morning. I have some geometry intersection issues to solve at the top where the two layers are pinned together, but I feel that it is a good start. The top layer will be chainmail. I did a transfer from G2F and theen did a simulation to get an idea of  how it would fall.

After a few adjustments I should be able to resolve the colission issues. Thinking in the future.... I wonder if I can adjust the weight somehow of the second layer to behae like a heavier object like the chainmail?

skirt1.JPG
    450 x 893 - 47K
    skirt2.JPG
    444 x 920 - 47K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    Rakuda said:

Finished off the day by setting up a few beat up wooden boxes in Hexagon and mapped some battered textures to them and rendered them up in Daz 3D. Simple, but effective. A little specularity and normal map would be a nice touch if I get to it.

This is really nice.  The textures are awesome

Did you do the skirt in Hexagon or ?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited February 2018
    Rakuda said:

Contortionist:

The Contortionist

there's some real gems in here - love this one and the pose of the woman with tutu holding the bust

you could get that tutu to sit correctly using VWD cloth plugin but it would take a bit of fiddling

oh that blog you linked to is set to private

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited February 2018

Ah, yes. I have to open that blog up again. Haven't been updating it recently. I should. Here I was playing with that skirt thingamajig I was making earlier today. Got it working, but something was making my render take forever. Was probably in my lighting setup.

Somewhere in the settings I wil figure how to make the fabric have less stretch and more solidity. Currently it droops more than I would like it needs to sit in place around the waist more.

head wax Anyhow... Yes, I do want to rework the original one with the tutu and get it to sit right. I like the concept. I think with dForce, I have a better chance now of pulling it off better. I may  lift the gray area a bit in the back. I need to figure out how to come off with a convincing chainmail treatment on the gray flap of fabric on the front ane back. I like whatever outfit you show there. It looks pretty close. Not sure what that plugin is you were referring to, but I find that if the clothes are placed in a neutral position and dont intersect with the figure that if you use dForce and jump to the pose that you want to be and simulate the transition, it will do pretty well. The idea of trying that tutu pose again is in the back of my mind and I know it is going to come off well.

It is interesting to re-interpret things once more knowlege is gained. I see that contortionist as something that I could get back into as well.

Sonja Yes, the flap skirt thing was done in Hexagon. If you get used to it, Hexagon is not so bad. It does crash a bit much for my liking though.

Here is an interior that was assembled today in Hexagon

Skirt_sm.jpg
    900 x 985 - 533K
    interior.JPG
    831 x 842 - 107K
    Post edited by Rakuda on

I had started leaering to model in Carrara and Blender.  I should really get back to it. In my spare time lol.

edited February 2018

I had started leaering to model in Carrara and Blender.  I should really get back to it. In my spare time lol.

It is fun! Here's that room modeled above, with the addition of a camel. Who doesn't need a camel! Right now, he is upset at me because I didn't give him enough light. Sloppy me!

camel.jpg
    900 x 506 - 232K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    Rakuda said:

Also working on a piece of architecture that will need internal and external mapping. I am just trying to figure the best way to handle internal details such as baseboards, door jams, and window fixtures while making it easy to map the internal and external surfaces separately.

Love your modeling in Hex....

edited February 2018

Another quick modeling job... this time a rolling stage. I have to correct some details like the ends of the 2x4s and correct their end aspect ratio a bit, but it is close.

I used some free casters this time that I got from turbosquid.

Thanks kenmo, Hexagon seems to do the job pretty well.

:)

quickrender2.jpg
    1526 x 1220 - 2M
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

Wishlisting

Adding these items to my wishlist. I am going to have start a Patreon page or something to put some projects on  for support so I can afford to create ideas. Yikes! so many ideas... and so little moolah!

Jacket Slim Fit Dark Blue Jeans Open Women Clothing VR / AR / low-poly 3D model

Trousers Jeans Dark Blue Clothing Fashion Women VR / AR / low-poly 3D model

Just putting it out there!

Oh, and on suggestion of IceDragonArt, the one item I did purchase this two weeks is the below package, so we will see how that effects my hair renderings.

UHT2: Ultimate Color

Post edited by Rakuda on