My Projects in 3D Digital Rendering

Comments

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited February 2018

Ok, fine, so I buckled and just did it and bought the resources above.. Here is a test render.

Thing is I need some help. I need to figure out what to fix in the surface settings, because it looks especially in the pants like it is slathered in gloss like a candy apple. I turned off the reflectivity and refraction, so what the devil is going on here? Not that wet jeans is a bad look, but it isn't what I was going for.

scene.jpg
    1279 x 1920 - 1M
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • Iray or 3Delight? Are you using the settings that were on the clothing as delivered? Did the outfit have settings for the render engine you are using (if nothing is specified it's probably an older set with 3Delight, assuming it has natie daz Studio support at all).

edited February 2018

Thanks Richard. I did just revert to the .mtl file settings that were pulled in with the obj and tried again. I think the problem came when I tried to apply thre default Iray material settings. To it and then pulled in the surface maps.

Now it looks ok. Except from this view, it is obvious how cartoonish Genesis 8 feet look out-of-the-box. I wonder if there are any morphs to give a little more realism a little bump on the peroneal brevis, etc. Probably not much call... haha! One does not tend to see the soles of the feet as much as the hands. Also, when standing, the little toes sometimes tend to lock in a somewhat backwards bend. That is not possible at this point.

456789.jpg
    1483 x 1920 - 3M
    anatomy-foot-lateral.jpg
    242 x 128 - 26K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

Origami?

^__^

5467.jpg
    1483 x 1920 - 3M
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Dforce strikes again I see lol. There is a giant thread floating around that has lots of suggestions for getting it to work.  There is also a product that was just released that can be quite helpful.  Its still in the new category I think it was released 4 or 5 days ago.

edited February 2018

There is also a product that was just released that can be quite helpful.

Sonja, A product... interesting. Will look around. Surely, I will run into it. dForce has a few tricks to figuring out it's settings. And as cool as it is, takes a while to get good results predictably and to know what perils to look out for.

Here is an image that started off as an inspiration based on someone else's suggestion in an old thread called "An Oddly Specific Request" that they were looking for a texture/character with a medeterranean or spanish looking cast. They suggested a few paintings by Bouguereau as examples. The face reminded me of Sean Young in Bladerunner a bit with her sentimental heavy eyes. And so, began a little side image.

Aside: As an added note related to that original thread, this image by Bouguereau would make a pretty good basis for a Facegen morp and texture set since it is a pretty straight-on image and relatively evenly lit.

I used Facegen to take measurements from Sean Young's face and then disgarded the pictures bad images for a texture set generated in Facegen.It came off looking pretty good. The rest is just incremental adjustments.

The smoke was fun because to get it moving in actual space I mapped it on a plane that was warped around a bit. and placed the head of the smoke stream as the child of a null object so that I could rotate around that origin point in space. It's a little adventure creating this stuff!

I was going to side-light with an emissive panel, but when I created a default panel it was lying on the floor by default and it struck me that might be a good location for a dramatic light. It was a "happy accident".

From doing the test-renders, it appears that it will take about 6 hours to render the full detail, which is good as I have a drawing group happening this afternoon during which I can let my computer chew on the image a bit.

P.S. - The thing that stands out to me is the hand and wrist. What to do beyond masking it behind a bracelet or other obstruction? It isn't central to the image as much as the eyes, but it's geometry throws me off a little in that it looks a bit plastic like. Image maps? a set of normal map creases behind the wrist... something to create some wrinkles on a bent back wrist?  There is always post-work, but I like to minimize that if possible. Anybody do any wrist-bend fold morphs?

"More Human than Human is our Moto" - Eldon Tyrell

001.jpg
    600 x 600 - 126K
    002.jpg
    600 x 600 - 123K
    003.jpg
    600 x 600 - 128K
    004.jpg
    600 x 600 - 138K
    port.jpg
    944 x 952 - 293K
    facegen.jpg
    1040 x 711 - 91K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Well done.  Thanks for including your walk through images.  I don't have Facegen but will take another look and check my budget.

edited February 2018
    Diomede said:

Well done.  Thanks for including your walk through images.  I don't have Facegen but will take another look and check my budget.

Diomede, Yes, making good imagery is a bit of strategy for me in choosing the set of products that will allow to expand on what is being created in a multiplicity of ways. Facegen allows me to go beyond the set of faces available for download in the store. Sometimes I combine with store-bought morphs, but it really allows customization of the textures used in novel ways. But, you have been around this place much longer than me. So you prolly know which products have the most potential.

That would be a good idea for a thread. What products to people feel are the most versatile and have had the most creative impact in making artwork.

Nothing is fool proof because fools are so ingenious.

Isn't that just the truth!

x-D

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

It is obvious that I need a better computer soon. This rendered for 20 hours and still is not complete. I had other projects to work on anyhow...Can't have my render crunching cycles whilst I work.

Also, there is something wonky about the arm position. I need to work on making it more natural. The elbow needs to be closer in to the ribs. I do like the previous closer framed view however. It is more intense and personal.

rrt43634648.jpg
    1483 x 1483 - 1M
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796

You're to fast for me, you're doing such a lot of things at the same time and have a handle on modelling I'm just just in awe, looking back at my own "beginnings in 3d.."

This will be very interesting to watch and wonder where you will be when you are lets say at your intermediates ? :D keep up the great stuff!

edited February 2018

Hi Linwelly,

I love your frog render and the "Golden October". I would love to be able to do more outdoor type scenes. I just havent mastered Bryce or any of those other great landscape applications yet. Definitely gonna follow your work more!

Thankfully they aren't as scattered as they seem and relate to parts of a bigger project just little glimpses a piece at a time with a few test renders here and there. Here is also a piece of the larger thing in the form of a little retro chair. It also was modeled in Hexagon today. Originally I was going to map a metal texture on the image map for the chrome, but instead, I independently exported the chrome parts so that I could use a nice chrome shader in Daz Studio. It ended up looking better that way.

The image maps are a little rough as they were cobbled together from photographs taken with my phone. But now the rough drafts can be cleaned up ln areas especially like the edge of the upper cushion that had upholstery buttons along the edge.

retro_hex.JPG
    857 x 573 - 90K
    chair_views.jpg
    900 x 450 - 249K
    Post edited by Rakuda on

This is the Dforce Cloth Master I mentioned above.  Meant to come back earlier and link it and I got busy and forgot. She has a hair product as well.

When you say that it isn't finished after 20 hours do you mean you aren't satisfied with how it looks or its just not reached the full conversion rate?  I stop mine early all the time.  If it looks good I don't bother to wait the extra time for it to say its finished.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796

Nice work on the chair! I hve takes some texturephotos with my phone as well, which wasa reason to get a phone with a rather good camera. I had a jab at hexagon once but never really went into the whole modelling side of things, there is just not enough time to learn everything. When I need something special I usually mix and match from what I have and add some d-formers if needed. The landscape stuff is all from existing grounds. If you really want a larger area, you need to use the islands trick to layer terrains behind each other in a way you don't see the gaps between.

edited February 2018

Sonja, I did go ahead and try that preset package. Unfortunately, I am still getting exploding surfaces. I even made sure in the motion nothing appeared to be nicking or intesecting the surfaces. Guess I have to read the instructions and play around a bit more. Will post some simulation tests. By not finished, I meant there was still pixel noise in the shadows even though there was like 1700+ iterations. It may be that I need to up the lighting and play with the ISO setting to compensate, if that is how it works.

Linwelly, Probably good that I don't have anything more than Hexagon because it is forcing me to maximize what I am learning about what it can do. It takes just a tiny bit of learning at a time before you hit a critical mass and it gets easier. The islands trick sounds like a cool tip. Is that like distancing cutouts at various points in the depth of field?

Today's rendering and modeling. Have to reply more later... Did a little Chinese pillow.

round_pillow_hex.JPG
    600 x 291 - 66K
    Round_pillow_sm.jpg
    600 x 777 - 350K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

Going back a few days to the project with the chainmail flap skirt,

I created some links in Hexagon, lit them from four sides and did

four renders of the same straight on view. Then I went to this page: NormalMap-Online

to make a normal map online from the four renders.

Geometry lit from 4 directions above.

Normal Map above

Rendered on a flat primitive plane in Daz Studio. It would be nice to find some way to make it appear more shiny like metalic steel rings.

Here is a resulting render using a normal  map on a flat surface.

The normal map can be used to tile and generate the full skirt chainmail sheet.

chainmail_lighting.jpg
    600 x 437 - 187K
    NormalMap_thumb.jpg
    600 x 600 - 214K
    chainmail_render001.jpg
    1294 x 1610 - 550K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

Just another more simple object made. This time a stool with a few textures.

stool_hex.JPG
    600 x 299 - 60K
    Stools.png
    600 x 777 - 1M
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

A few more props to the list and a test render with a little more dramatic light. I need to make a small light to sit on the stand below that has more directed light as I want sharper shadows.

5465778_SM.jpg
    600 x 760 - 213K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

I have set up enough props that I am getting them scaled  up properly. I bought this Stainless steel ruler from Turbosquid. I scaled it to relate basically that 12 inches was the length of the G2M foot when loaded up by default. So, the other props are scaled up proportional to that. I don't know otherwise how to take accurate measurements in Daz Studio as to scale in inches versus percents.

to_scale3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 279K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

One more piece. Doing a lot of wooden pieces. This is a drawing horse. Now have to get off to making an image map.

drawing_horse.JPG
    1273 x 741 - 117K
    Post edited by Rakuda on

Impressive.  You are really making my learn how to model itch flare up again lol!

edited February 2018

Thank you.  I just keep on trucking and eventually the pieces may come together with all this stuff.

Here in s a quick throw-down rough draft based on a drawing session with a model from last night. One of Wilmap’s G3F dresses adapted well to the task, plus a freebie blue topped stool. The other stool is way oversized here but it was just cobbled together with some speed.

Here for comparison is a render in 3Delight which I haven't used in some time.

BC9EA698-92CF-4A9B-8067-780764EE2167.jpeg
    1483 x 1920 - 3M
    rowdy.jpg
    1483 x 1920 - 672K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

So, I have this rug and I am trying to simulate it on a cube but there are several issues. One is it appears that it is having some geometric anomalies in the  front edges as it falls. Also, the bigger issue is that even though I painted zero influence on the dForce weight map, the tassels do not stay put. They detatch from the edges. I wonder how to handle this. Need to read up on this and do a little research, Perhaps I have to make them attach to the geometry of the rug body?

simulation.JPG
    852 x 370 - 48K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

Update: Rendered with a little passed down knowlege from @RGcincy and @barbult. Thanks so much to those people for their assistance. I am learning so much new each day. Still have some issues to figure out with the use of the dForce Master - Cloth Simulation Presets.

;)

rug01.png
    600 x 543 - 414K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

Here is a quick test render of some figures from CGTrader. Wouldn't that be a challenge to make a similar skin texture map for a Daz G2,G3 or G8 figure!

tattoo.jpg
    1200 x 1500 - 993K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Wow I really like the last render those tattoos are just amazing!!!

edited February 2018

@Saphirewild Thank you very much. Here is one where some of the other pieces that I have assembled come together. I think the chair is a little small and that it should be scaled up... or maybe the heeight of her heels is what is throwing  my perspective on it off.

Tattoo2.jpg
    600 x 989 - 310K
    Tattoo3.jpg
    600 x 989 - 292K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

Here is a slightly different angle. The only thing that I am not satisfied yet with the draped cloth is how tightly it is hugging the cube. It doesn't fall gracefully at the corner in a natural way, but seems to over hug the corner.

A cloth that heavy would not wrap around the corner, but would remain hanging out a bit from the surface because of the tension of  the coarse and heavy blanket cloth.

Tattoo1.jpg
    600 x 989 - 291K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

Here is an update on a previous figure.

I took the tutu from this figure.

Then I deleted the unwanted bits and added it to my figure below.

P.S. - I really would like if somebody would make a similar tutu that was actually made to fit a Daz figure. It would morph and conform a lot better especially dynamically and with motion. Plus, better material application...

tutu04.jpg
    1200 x 882 - 165K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

Phase 1

I decided to do a little experiment in Hexagon and see what I could come up with similar to the tutu.

I started our with a litte tube that shaped up like a flying saucer. Then I adjusted the faces a bit.

Here is the same thing with a little smoothing on it.

tutu_snip_rough.JPG
    830 x 828 - 51K
    tutu_snip.JPG
    830 x 837 - 57K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited February 2018

Just playing with the same setup as before but with a new male model (Dale).

Dale2.jpg
    600 x 989 - 324K
    Dale3.jpg
    600 x 989 - 311K
    Post edited by Rakuda on