LuxusCore Carrara

Comments

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited December 1969

Spheric, great plug-in, thanks for the new version.

Here is a quick experiment with Luxuscore for Carrara.

alphaBase_lux_01a.jpg
    960 x 540 - 126K
  • Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

Hi
    Does Luxrender 1.5 have better open cl support?
    Thanks

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

The change log says so, but LuxusCore is not updated to the latest level, maybe a month old...

edited December 1969

Playing with Luxuscore for Carrara again. This time I was playing with transparency.

sheer01.jpg
    405 x 720 - 160K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

Joe - very nice, very dramatic!

edited December 1969

Beautiful render, do you use any specific Lux settings or shaders?

edited June 2015

Thanks for the kind words.

I was playing with creating a Luxcore mix shader to produce a transparent cloth material. Material 1 is luxcore cloth, material 2 is luxcore null, the amount is 50%. All the rest of the shaders are default model textures.

The light behind her made the transparency stand out more. I "cheated" on the original idea by combining the Luxuscore render with a light cone render from Carrara's native render settings. ;)

Is there a way to create light rays in Luxuscore for Carrara? I know there is a way in lux using fog, but I haven't figured out how to use fog in Luxuscore.

Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but can someone please explain how to get started with LuxCore. I bought the Spheric Plugin quite a while ago and looks like I got started downloading things but never followed through. I've got:
    * LuxRender 1.4RC2 x64 OpenCL Setup.exe (installed)
    * LuxRender 1.4RC3_64bit_OpenCL.exe (installed)
    * the Spheric Plugin (installed)
    * a folder called Lux Sample Shaders (7 of them)
    * a folder with Luxus Pro Training vids (Daz product by Bluebird 3D)
    * Luxus-Manual-unofficial1.pbf dated 10/1/2014
    * and I see Spheric just provided a zip for the LuxusCore.txt, .mcx and .dat

Not sure if these items are obsolete now? I have an Nvidia GTX560, Win8.1Pro, Carrara 8.5Pro. Thanks in advance.

- Don

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    edited December 1969

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but can someone please explain how to get started with LuxCore. I bought the Spheric Plugin quite a while ago and looks like I got started downloading things but never followed through. I've got:
    * LuxRender 1.4RC2 x64 OpenCL Setup.exe (installed)
    * LuxRender 1.4RC3_64bit_OpenCL.exe (installed)
    * the Spheric Plugin (installed)
    * a folder called Lux Sample Shaders (7 of them)
    * a folder with Luxus Pro Training vids (Daz product by Bluebird 3D)
    * Luxus-Manual-unofficial1.pbf dated 10/1/2014
    * and I see Spheric just provided a zip for the LuxusCore.txt, .mcx and .dat

Not sure if these items are obsolete now? I have an Nvidia GTX560, Win8.1Pro, Carrara 8.5Pro. Thanks in advance.

- Don

A more experienced user could probably answer this better, but i'll answer as best as I can.

LuxCore is different than Luxus.

Luxus is a plugin that requires Lux Renderer, it basically sends your Carrara scene to the renderer.

LuxCore does not require the luxus plugin, and it, (from my understanding) does not require the Lux renderer. It is self contained.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

edited June 2015

Correct, LuxCore/LuxusCore is new, still in beta and has LuxRender included/built-in.
    A poor excuse of a manual is linked in my signature below.

Luxus for Carrara is "old", released and requires LuxRender to be installed separately.
    The unofficial manual is here: http://carraracafe.com/downloads/?did=33
    Other stuff: http://carraracafe.com/plugins/luxus-the-luxrender-plugin-for-carrara-developmentdocumentation-blog/
    LuxRender 1.5 RC1 was just released: http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/index

There is also a Luxus for DAZ Studio plugin, the Luxus Pro Training vids (Daz product by Bluebird 3D) is probably for Daz Studio only.

/EDIT: Luxus and LuxusCore use different shaders, while similar in general, the top node needs to be the same as the renderer.

Post edited by 3drendero on
  • SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

New Win64 Build
    - http://sphericlabs.com/preview/win64/LuxusCore.zip

Changes:
    - Times out last day of Sept

Active development will resume mid September.

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited December 1969

LuxCore and this plugin are awesome. I'm really looking forward to some more great work from Spheric.

I just started diving into it and have been playing around with volumetric. I am hoping one of the seasoned unbiased users can help me out with this issue. I am experimenting with an outdoor foggy moon lit scene (blocks right now) with a light lighting the fog from a window.

It seems like I cannot get my overall exposure under control. If I turn down the power on the light source producing the light beam, then the light source producing the moon lighting becomes really bright and overpowering. If I turn that down then the light beam becomes overpowering. I want the scene to be quite dark with a faint beam from the window and a nice glow from the moon. Perhaps the solution is setting the scene exposure but I thought I'd check before digging for the scene config script.

luxcoreVolumetrics.jpg
    1200 x 542 - 122K
    edited December 1969

I'm not really a LuxCore user but it sounds to me that you have Auto-Exposure turned on, so that if one area gets darker, the rest gets brighter. As you want more direct control, you need to check out the exposure controls and go manual.

edited July 2015

The default image pipeline, that which turns the "film" into an image is auto adjusted exposure.

film.imagepipeline.0.type = TONEMAP_AUTOLINEAR
    film.imagepipeline.1.type = GAMMA_CORRECTION
    film.imagepipeline.1.value = 2.2

If you put the following in the config settings, you will have direct control(almost certainly you will need to adjust the scale value):

film.imagepipeline.0.type = TONEMAP_LINEAR
    film.imagepipeline.0.scale = 1.0

Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited December 1969

The default image pipeline, that which turns the "film" into an image is auto adjusted exposure.

film.imagepipeline.0.type = TONEMAP_AUTOLINEAR

If you put the following in the config settings, you will have direct control(almost certainly you will need to adjust the scale value):

film.imagepipeline.0.type = TONEMAP_LINEAR
    film.imagepipeline.0.scale = 1.0

Thank you Spheric, this helps tremendously.

edited July 2015

PhilW said:
    I'm not really a LuxCore user but it sounds to me that you have Auto-Exposure turned on, so that if one area gets darker, the rest gets brighter. As you want more direct control, you need to check out the exposure controls and go manual.

Phil, that was it. There's no UI for exposure yet but a lot of the config can be set using simple dot notation once you know the property names for the setting.

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
    edited July 2015

joeping said:

Is there a way to create light rays in Luxuscore for Carrara? I know there is a way in lux using fog, but I haven't figured out how to use fog in Luxuscore.

Hi Joeping,

Most Luxcore shaders have an internal and an external volumetric setting. There are two ways to accomplish fog and light rays. The first is to create a large mesh that surrounds your scene. This can be a null shader so that the mesh surface is not visible. Next you will set the internal volumetric property to either homogenous or heterogeneous. Heterogeneous is the better option for fog, smoke and clouds since it is not a smooth and even volume like homogenous but there is a speed cost.

I have found that setting scattering and absorption to 0.01 is a good starting point. At this point I have to keep the camera outside of the enclosing mesh.

The other way to implement fog is to implement these settings on the cameras exterior volumetric shader.

Setting this would also allow the camera to move around freely inside the surrounding mesh in the first method.

I have not figured out the property names for setting the camera shader yet but will update this thread once I do.

edited July 2015

Does anyone know if the scene settings input box under the rendering tab is being read. I have tried a number of different scene properties but they do not seem to have an effect on the rendering.

Specifically the following seem to make no difference no matter what the values are set to.

scene.camera.lensradius = 0.02
    scene.camera.focaldistance = 10

These should set the depth of field and focus distance. I read that this can be done using the native Carrara DOF setting but that currently opens as a blank modal window and then errors out when LuxusCore is installed.

Thanks.

Edit: I'm rendering using the only CPU so I'm not sure if that might have something to do with this issue.

edited December 1969

Does anyone know if the scene settings input box under the rendering tab is being read. I have tried a number of different scene properties but they do not seem to have an effect on the rendering.

Specifically the following seem to make no difference no matter what the values are set to.

These should set the depth of field and focus distance. I read that this can be done using the native Carrara DOF setting but that currently opens as a blank modal window and then errors out when LuxusCore is installed.

Thanks.

Edit: I'm rendering using the only CPU so I'm not sure if that might have something to do with this issue.

It's working for me, but I did the following which was very blurry:
    scene.camera.lensradius = 0.5

It only works if you click render as opposed to the IPR window.

edited December 1969

Thanks.

It's working for me, but I did the following which was very blurry:
    scene.camera.lensradius = 0.5

It only works if you click render as opposed to the IPR window.

Perfect, thank you! I can't believe I didn't check the render room render before posting.

edited July 2015

Thanks stringtheory9,
    I think it's working. Here is an experiment using your settings.

CityofAsia04_alt.jpg
    900 x 420 - 64K
    edited December 1969

Joe - great image, very dramatic!

edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Thanks stringtheory9,

Great lighting and atmosphere! Very nice!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Thanks stringtheory9,

Another awesome render Joe, your talent is astonishing; and this is beautiful work.

edited July 2015

Playing with Luxuscore for Carrara again. This time I was playing with some new models.

enchanted-forest02_alt.jpg
    960 x 540 - 111K
  • CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Playing with Luxuscore for Carrara again. This time I was playing with some new models.

Nicely dones Joe!

Water might need a liitle work though, looks kinda like liquid silver... (Probably doesn't help I just recently seen Terminator Genesys, if anyone did you'll know what I mean)..

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    edited December 1969

Bravo, joe... Bravo!!!

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527

Not a complaint...just for information.

Just auto-updated to Windows 10 Pro Build 10162.  LuxusCore crashes Carrara 8.5.  "LuxusCore.mcx failed to load" is the error message

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited July 2015

I finally found time to check this out and I have a question.  If I set the config to Open CL I just get black in both the IPR and the render room, but if I set it to CPU only I get fairly quick renders in both.  Or at least it seems quick to me - not sure if "Avg.samples/sec 1.03M on 3.1K tris" is fast or not for the sample scene but if that glass wasn't in there it would have looked great in just a couple seconds.  I only let it run for 5 minutes and arond 380 samples so is still some noise in the caustics from the glass but considering I was just trying to see if it would work at all, I'm pretty impressed.

Is this just because my laptop's graphics card isn't up to the task?  I've got an Nvidia GeForce GTX 670M with the most up-to-date driver - it struggled with Iray too so I suspect that is the problem, just want to confirm that I'm not doing something wrong as I follow along with the "unofficial" manual from CarraraCafe.

LuxusScene_TestRender

LuxusScene_Defaults_CPUOnly_01.jpg
    640 x 480 - 13K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited July 2015

Experimenting with Carrara 8.5 Pro, Luxuscore Carrara with volumetric light and some dragons.

DragonTemple01_alt.jpg
    960 x 540 - 92K