Yo Dartanbeck, whats up? Update failure.

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited December 2014 in Carrara Discussion

Hey Dart,

Did you just do an update of your woodlands Enviro Pack? If so, thank you.

But Dim is giving me an update failure. Of course, there is no explanation of how or why. My other Carrara content installed correctly. Any clues?

Edit: Windows 8.1, intel i7, because hard drive setup, install everything to the d drive. Updating with 2 more screen shots. Show installation paths for programs within Dim.

installation_location.JPG
538 x 468 - 47K
seting_1_programs.JPG
548 x 312 - 37K
dart_whats_up_2.JPG
598 x 551 - 65K
dart_whats_up_1.JPG
614 x 354 - 39K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

I was just wondering about this too - I had to reinstall some of my content because of random hard drive issues and noticed I had updates for this same set. I'm getting the same unexplained "install failed" message as well.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Sorry for my absence lately. EP let me know about this thread.
    I have no clue what this is about. I'll see if I can find some answers.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Sorry for my absence lately. EP let me know about this thread.
    I have no clue what this is about. I'll see if I can find some answers.

He emerges from the Holiday food coma!

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    I was just wondering about this too - I had to reinstall some of my content because of random hard drive issues and noticed I had updates for this same set. I'm getting the same unexplained "install failed" message as well.

Check the DIM log and see if that explains the error. In DIM, click on the Gear icon in the upper right, on the next screen, click on the DIM Log button on the lower left. Scroll down to the bottom of the log to see the most recent errors.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dart, Mark, EP, and Lindsey.

This is what the DIM log says. Doesn't seem to clear much up.

"Installing product : Supersuit SciFi Pack
    Product successfully installed : Supersuit SciFi Pack
    Install Queue finished in 0 min 4.7 sec.
    Installing product : Carrara EnvironKit - Woodlands - Part 2
    Product installation failed : Carrara EnvironKit - Woodlands - Part 2
    Install Queue finished in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    Installing product : Carrara EnvironKit - Woodlands - Part 1
    Product installation failed : Carrara EnvironKit - Woodlands - Part 1
    Installing product : Carrara EnvironKit - Woodlands - Part 1
    Product installation failed : Carrara EnvironKit - Woodlands - Part 1
    Installing product : STJ Raptor DS
    Product successfully installed : STJ Raptor DS"

edited December 1969

There isn't an update that I know of, so you can ignore this issue for now - until we figure out what it's all about. I wonder if it's just that they broke it into two files instead of one by request of some of the users? I think that it used to be one big download before.

edited December 1969

either way, the web store monkeys broke something, and it is out of your immediate control.

edited December 1969

I wonder if it's just that they broke it into two files instead of one by request of some of the users? I think that it used to be one big download before.

That could be it. I checked what has been installed. There are bunch of files from Part 1. Guess that covers it.

Thanks for a great product. I use elements of it all the time (almost never as intended :cheese: ) . I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it, and I learn a lot by exploring how you put your shaders and scenes together.

dart_too_generous.JPG
    1148 x 991 - 294K
    edited December 1969

Thanks man! I really appreciate the compliment! ;)
    I will make the appropriate contacts to get this update fixed.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Same thing here. I have a ...Part 1.zip (582.7MB) and a ...Part 2.zip (642.1MB), but they fail to install. My log file is as uninformative as Diomede's.

edited December 1969

DAZ3D has been receiving reports of installers over 1Gb in size failing to download.
    Could have come from a variety of reasons.
    So all the installers over 1Gb in size we split into smaller installers.
    Carrara EnvironKit - Woodlands' files appear to have been corrupted somewhere in the process and new files are in line to be updated in the next day or so.

Bummer, but it's being fixed ;)

• Former DAZ CustomerFormer DAZ Customer Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

It looks like it's been updated, but install still fails for me.

edited December 1969

Yup, the new update still fails for me too.

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    edited December 1969

Fails for me too

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

if it's working - why do you need the update ?
    old version fine for me .

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    True.The only difference is that the product has been broken into two download instead of one.
    So if you already have Woodlands installed, you don't need the upgrade.

I imagine that sometime next week the issue will be corrected.

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    True.The only difference is that the product has been broken into two download instead of one.
    So if you already have Woodlands installed, you don't need the upgrade.

I imagine that sometime next week the issue will be corrected.

This is true. The content hasn't changed. But, for those that haven't bought the product (which is awesome), and they wish to use DIM to install it, will the two part installers cause a problem for them?

edited December 1969

that will be may aim all along

This is true. The content hasn't changed. But, for those that haven't bought the product (which is awesome), and they wish to use DIM to install it, will the two part installers cause a problem for them?Yes.
    That is why I am hoping that this is repaired in a very timely fashion.

(which is awesome)
    Thank you! I appreciate that!
    edited December 1969

Thank you for following up so diligently. Yes, for those of us who already own the product, you can ignore the update unless you ever need to reinstall your carrara content files. For example, my hard drive got wiped during a recent minor screen repair (totally gratuitous HD wipe, not necessary for the repair at all). I presume the installations going forward will use 2 files.

edited December 1969

Unfortunately some of us already went "ooh, update - click" And now we're stuffed.

Moral I guess: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,039
    edited December 1969

DIM removes a lot of my Carrara stuff or overwrites it
    is very frustrating, I am thinking I must leave carrara out of DIM and just install everything manually have had to redo most my Howie scenes several times, is just weird
    I think having it on an external the issue

edited December 1969

My problem is I add modified content to the same folders and updates seem to clean that out.
    Dart the update for yours hung around in DIM a week then finally disappeared/installed, not noticed any difference

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

My problem is I add modified content to the same folders and updates seem to clean that out.
    Dart the update for yours hung around in DIM a week then finally disappeared/installed, not noticed any difference

Files with different names, or modified versions of the existing files? DIM shouldn't remove any files it didn't install.

edited December 1969

Files with different names, or modified versions of the existing files? DIM shouldn't remove any files it didn't install.
    yeah not sure what is going on there, have had plugins removed too I have feeling updating/reinstalling Carrara itself does it.

edited December 1969

yeah not sure what is going on there, have had plugins removed too I have feeling updating/reinstalling Carrara itself does it.

Plugins I can see, depending on how they're set up I could see an update affecting them. Are the files you added still present in the folders, or did they get removed?

edited December 1969

Whew! Scared the tar out of me!
    I just checked (I encountered the same failures) and all of the custom files I've added to the actual installed folders are still in place, as are the actual files from the product. Like I said... Whew!

Wendy, I hope that this thing didn't erase any of your personal stuff. I cannot see how it could... it creates a manifest of what goes in, and only takes that out on uninstall - unless, of course, you've saved custom stuff over the original files under the same name.

edited December 1969

On the Mac, Carrara's data files for things like leaves, plugins, etc. are all stored in the application package. When you install a version of Carrara over an already existing version, then everything is over-written. I assume that it is a similar process to the Windows version.

If I were doing this on a Mac, the first thing I would do is tell DIM not to do anything on its own, like install updates. Then, if Carrara did have an update, I would create a backup of my Carrara application before allowing DIM to install the update. That way, if I needed to, I could copy the relevant plugin data files, leaf files, etc. over to the updated version if they were over-written.

edited December 1969

If I were doing this on a Mac, the first thing I would do is tell DIM not to do anything on its own, like install updates.

DIM doesn't install updates on its own.

edited December 1969

On the Mac, Carrara's data files for things like leaves, plugins, etc. are all stored in the application package. When you install a version of Carrara over an already existing version, then everything is over-written. I assume that it is a similar process to the Windows version.
    Really?
    Not at all on Windows, which is why it's been so easy for us to use "Runtime" solutions all these years. You simply drag new folders into the Runtime of your chosing, and new files are added to the proper folders without screwing with anything else within. The only exception, of course, being files with identical names, which would cause a pop-up alert: "Do you Really want to overwrite this file: "xxx: size:xxx date:xxx" with this file: "xxx: size:yyy date:yyy"

I can uninstall Carrara entirely from my computer and, unless I delete them myself, any files that I added to the structure, even within the nested folders, anything except for what the Carrara installer placed there, will remain. So I can then reinstall Carrara and still have all of my plugins and extra stuff. I do still make back-ups... I'm kind of insane that way... but the installer never overwrites files that it doesn't contain itself, nor will it delete them.

edited December 1969

Nonetheless, I want this resolved ASAP!
    Working on it :ahhh: