Yo Dartanbeck, whats up? Update failure.

2»

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

is ok Dart your update did no harm
    but I have no explanation why some stuff does go missing
    only in carrara set folders not my runtime etc or extra added folders, things like custom leaves too

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

On the Mac, Carrara's data files for things like leaves, plugins, etc. are all stored in the application package. When you install a version of Carrara over an already existing version, then everything is over-written. I assume that it is a similar process to the Windows version.
    Really?
    Not at all on Windows, which is why it's been so easy for us to use "Runtime" solutions all these years. You simply drag new folders into the Runtime of your chosing, and new files are added to the proper folders without screwing with anything else within. The only exception, of course, being files with identical names, which would cause a pop-up alert: "Do you Really want to overwrite this file: "xxx: size:xxx date:xxx" with this file: "xxx: size:yyy date:yyy"

I can uninstall Carrara entirely from my computer and, unless I delete them myself, any files that I added to the structure, even within the nested folders, anything except for what the Carrara installer placed there, will remain. So I can then reinstall Carrara and still have all of my plugins and extra stuff. I do still make back-ups... I'm kind of insane that way... but the installer never overwrites files that it doesn't contain itself, nor will it delete them.

I didn't say runtimes Dart. Runtimes are separate.

edited December 1969

Dart, I should clarify. Anything stored in the Application package is overwritten if a new Carrara application is installed over it. We Mac users also get asked if we're sure if we want to overwrite existing files with the same name.

As I said, the Application package. Not to be confused with the folder that the application is stored in.

If I double click on the Carrara application icon, Carrara will launch. If I right-click on the application, a contextual menu opens, letting me see inside the application and its resources. Drill down into the MacOS folder and you will see folders for the scene wizards and other folders for data etc.

The decision to place all the wizards and crap inside the application package is not a Mac thing, it is/was an Eovia and/or DAZ decision. My guess is that it goes back to Eovia as Carrara 5 also needed custom leaves in the data folder within the application package. DAZ just found it easier to leave that stuff there.

Picture_6.png
    842 x 632 - 75K
    Picture_5.png
    607 x 370 - 23K
    Picture_4.png
    619 x 438 - 47K
    Picture_3.png
    352 x 474 - 69K
    Picture_1.png
    208 x 122 - 11K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Weird. I don't know a thing about MacOS. In Windows, however, I love the file arrangement for Carrara. It keeps everything nice and organized.

edited December 1969

It's organized in Mac OS as well, it's just that they organized it in a weird way.

edited December 1969

Yet another missing scene, I had to unistall and reinstall in DIM PhilW's English village just now as it had vanished.
    It cannot be my drive as only carrara stuff vanishes not anything else, I am puzzled greatly, I suspect it is related to none of my carrara files including the exe or presets, extentions etc being on my C drive, all my extra carrara content is on my E drive in the same folder as included content.
    DIM probably thinks it should be in my documents or elsewhere it reinstalls correctly but some updates seem to mysteriouly wipe stuff.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

One problem I've found is that some installers (Harpsburg, Country lane 2, Yule Cottage, and some of DP's shaders install to a "different" location from the norm (e.g. Content/MacOS/Presets/Scenes instead of Content/MacOS/Scenes. And these don't show up in the browser. Dunno if that's the fault of Daz or the PA, but it is annoying. I did report it, but support did nothing.

And you can't add them through the browser's directory management, because it can't browse inside the app package. So you *have* to move them to the proper place using Finder. (I copy them to a regular folder too, so they don't get lost if the app is updated etc)

edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    One problem I've found is that some installers (Harpsburg, Country lane 2, Yule Cottage, and some of DP's shaders install to a "different" location from the norm (e.g. Content/MacOS/Presets/Scenes instead of Content/MacOS/Scenes. And these don't show up in the browser. Dunno if that's the fault of Daz or the PA, but it is annoying. I did report it, but support did nothing.

And you can't add them through the browser's directory management, because it can't browse inside the app package. So you *have* to move them to the proper place using Finder. (I copy them to a regular folder too, so they don't get lost if the app is updated etc)

and that is actually half my issue it seems
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

Make an alias of whatever folder level you want to get to in the app package, and then move the alias out of the app package and put it wherever makes sense to you (I keep my alias in the Carrara folder), and then when you choose to add a folder, browse to the alias and the stuff in the app package will be accessible. I've done it quite a bit, and I just tested it, so I know it works.

• Former DAZ CustomerFormer DAZ Customer Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

OK, I just saw an update for these two packages, dated 14 January 2015, so gave it a whirl. No joy, still failed.

BUT THEN! In the "Ready to Install" tab, where they were now sitting, I clicked the triangle icon to the right of each package and selected "Refresh Package Data", then selected them and hit Install again.

SUCCESS! \o/

Thanks for getting this fixed, Dartanbeck, Daz, and whoever else was involved!

edited December 1969

Awesome!
    I haven't been able to confirm this yet - I'm glad to hear that it's fixed!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I did raise a support ticket for this, and they said they had verified it and would look into it. Whether that helped or not, I don't know. I'm fresh out of bed so I haven't had a chance to try if for myself.

• Former DAZ CustomerFormer DAZ Customer Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

I see another update today - marked 15 Jan 2015. Updated without any extra steps required.

\o/

edited December 1969

Thanks DAZ 3D! Whew! So glad to hear it!!! :)