Pins for Libraries Script [commercial]

MikeDMikeD Posts: 291
edited August 2021 in Daz PA Commercial Products

[Released]

Are you struggling navigating through the Content or Smart Library to find a product or a file that you have seen, but you don’t remember where it is? Do you find it difficult to locate a new purchased product in the folders of your library? Do you want to keep some notes for a file, folder, or product but you don’t know how? Then this script is just for you. With this product you can bookmark any file, folder or product from the Content Library, or the Smart Library with just few clicks. Each pin has a thumbnail, so you have a visual reference of your pinned asset. In addition, it gives you the possibility to keep some notes for each asset and also it allows you to see information about the product it belongs (if any), retrieving the data directly from DAZ pages. The information panel is accessible through a bonus script, so you can see the selected asset store page with one click, without having to use the main script. The main script is designed with a minimal user interface to be extremely easy to use, having fully support of the “What’s this” button. You can make your own tabs and subtabs, so you can organize your pins for easy access. At the same time, you can request from the script to collect all your newly acquired products in a tab, so you can easily find your new products in the Content Library. The script has the feature to open a file’s folder or load it directly into the scene. Remember that this script does not substitute the Content Library of DAZ Studio, so use it only for bookmarking a reasonable amount of assets. As a script, it needs some time to load the assets, so the more assets you have pinned, the more time it needs to load them.

Note: This script as any other script/plug-in in my store will be updated, when DS 5 is established, to be compatible with the new DS version!

MD_Pins_for_Libraries_Main.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 693K
Making a Pin.jpg
1403 x 800 - 529K
Main Dialog Pins Explanation.jpg
928 x 800 - 276K
Combact view of dialog with thumbnail.jpg
848 x 800 - 370K
Openning a Folder.jpg
1403 x 800 - 508K
Open Product.jpg
1405 x 800 - 547K
New Products Tab.jpg
939 x 800 - 334K
Post edited by MikeD on

Comments

• Eggs ActlyEggs Actly Posts: 168

Sounds really usefull - it's an instant buy for me yes

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

If it works on Mac as well, it's an Insta-Buy for me laugh

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 252

I use the Content Library exclusively.  It sounds like I could use this script to help catagorize content I have recently purchased.  Is this true?

Gus

• MikeDMikeD Posts: 291

Gusf1 said:

I use the Content Library exclusively.  It sounds like I could use this script to help categorize content I have recently purchased.  Is this true?

Gus

Actually no, ...

you can bookmark the new purchased products, so you can see all of them together in a tab, so you don't have to search around your library to find the folders they are installed. You can move some of these bookmarks into another tab, or you can delete some of them, but the script does not rearrange the folders of the content library in order to help you categorize the newly purchased items. Of course, you could make tabs and sub-tabs into the script and add all the staff from your content library, in order to keep them organized there, but remember that the script cannot substitute your content library. It needs to be compile each time you use it, and the more pins (bookmarks) you have, the more time it will need to open. From my experience (I had used this script a lot before I decided to make it commercial), I notice that the script needs around 3s to open for each 100 pins (bookmarks). Of course, this time has to do with the PC power but it will be more or less around there. My usage of the script is to have a number of items I use a lot into some pins, and to scan and collect all the newly items I have bought into a tab. Then I decide which of them I wanna hold as bookmarks to test them in the future, or which of these pins have no instance interest to me in order to delete them. When I try a product I usually remove its pin from the script except it is something special. I usually keep folders of categories as pins, so 1 bookmark has a lot of items in it (for example, I have a pin will all Genesis 8 females characters and 1 other pin with all Genesis 8 Males).

- Mike

MikeD said:

Gusf1 said:

I use the Content Library exclusively.  It sounds like I could use this script to help categorize content I have recently purchased.  Is this true?

Gus

Actually no, ...

you can bookmark the new purchased products, so you can see all of them together in a tab, so you don't have to search around your library to find the folders they are installed. You can move some of these bookmarks into another tab, or you can delete some of them, but the script does not rearrange the folders of the content library in order to help you categorize the newly purchased items. Of course, you could make tabs and sub-tabs into the script and add all the staff from your content library, in order to keep them organized there, but remember that the script cannot substitute your content library. It needs to be compile each time you use it, and the more pins (bookmarks) you have, the more time it will need to open. From my experience (I had used this script a lot before I decided to make it commercial), I notice that the script needs around 3s to open for each 100 pins (bookmarks). Of course, this time has to do with the PC power but it will be more or less around there. My usage of the script is to have a number of items I use a lot into some pins, and to scan and collect all the newly items I have bought into a tab. Then I decide which of them I wanna hold as bookmarks to test them in the future, or which of these pins have no instance interest to me in order to delete them. When I try a product I usually remove its pin from the script except it is something special. I usually keep folders of categories as pins, so 1 bookmark has a lot of items in it (for example, I have a pin will all Genesis 8 females characters and 1 other pin with all Genesis 8 Males).

- Mike

That is not quite what I meant.   I'm more asking about what the user can do with the bookmarked items.  Can the script open the bookmarked product in the product menu of the Content Library Tab?  This would allow me to catagorize the product myself.  I'm assuming the script can stay open during this.  If this is so, I could select one product, Catagorize it, select the next product and continue through the list.  I would then delete the bookmarks, lowering the overhead for the next time.  This would be a great time saver.

Does the script find newly insalled content from other vendors and freebies?  Or is it just from DAZ Store?  Of course I'm just asking about finding NEW CONTENT ONLY.  Some of those things don't show up in the Products menue. 

Thank you for your consideration

Gus

Gusf1 said:

MikeD said:

Gusf1 said:

Gus

Actually no, ...

- Mike

That is not quite what I meant.   I'm more asking about what the user can do with the bookmarked items.  Can the script open the bookmarked product in the product menu of the Content Library Tab?  This would allow me to catagorize the product myself.  I'm assuming the script can stay open during this.  If this is so, I could select one product, Catagorize it, select the next product and continue through the list.  I would then delete the bookmarks, lowering the overhead for the next time.  This would be a great time saver.

Does the script find newly insalled content from other vendors and freebies?  Or is it just from DAZ Store?  Of course I'm just asking about finding NEW CONTENT ONLY.  Some of those things don't show up in the Products menue. 

Thank you for your consideration

Gus

Hey Gus ...
    I made a short video here that it answers your first paragraph questions (I hope).

Now about if the script can find the newly installed content from other vendors and freebies: Yes, but very difficult as it needs 2 conditions to find a product:
    - If its files have metadata (in this case the creator of the other site has to do it) and the package have been registered as part of a product. An easy way to check is to see if the new item is showing in the product panel of Content Library. (usually a creator will not bother making metadata for a freebie)
    - If the new product item have the .dateInstalled property valid, in the metadata... Unfortunately there is no easy way to see if this is valid (or at least I have not found any easy way except from scripting).

And a clarification: The script cannot find the "New Content" only, but any product that is acquired in the filter time period. It does not know if this item is a new one, or an update from an old one, or it is an old product and you have just installed it, so it is new for you. It only searches for any product that has purchased in the time period you have set into the filter.

I hope I answered your questions.

- Mike

It seems the script will be of little help in finding newly installed things from other places.  It DOES sound usefull for the DAZ store though.  It does sound like it will do what I would like it to do.  In the video, you have the script on your menu bar, does the 3 seconds apply every time you click the icon?  Do you realy have to close the script every time you want to interact with the product you have selected?  Just so you know, NONE of these are deal breakers!  It's a LOT easier than using your product library online and wading through hundreds of products in the program just to catagorize one product.

Gus

No in the video I started with a fresh script config file so it is completely empty of pins and it does not delay in opening... I noticed a 3 sec delay for every (about) 100 pins I had in my script, in my testings (this is for my PC - i7, 32GB Ram, run from HDD and not SSD. This number may vary according to the user PC). The script gives you also the ability to make some shortcuts on the toolbar and into the script/menu bar, so these buttons can be made by the script itself through the settings dialog (the cog button at the bottom left corner)!
    Unfortunately yes, you have to close the script each time you want to navigate through the libraries, or select another asset (file, folder of product)! The script takes the focus from DS and it needs to be closed in order to give focus back to DS in order to use it!

-Mike

Thank you for all your explanations!  I'll take a look at it when it comes out.

Gus

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 679

This would be great for collecting the products that you are using for a project. It seems like a must have.

The script is out... enjoy

• dougjdougj Posts: 92

I'm getting the following error when launching the script:

An error occurred while reading the file..

2021-08-07 08:08:47.829 Loading script: D:/Users/Doug/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/Content/scripts/miked/pins for libraries/md pins.dse
    2021-08-07 08:08:47.888 WARNING: Script Error: Line 3277
    2021-08-07 08:08:47.888 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'oFileContentTab.getSelectedAssets' [undefined] is not a function.
    2021-08-07 08:08:47.889 WARNING: Stack Trace:
        <anonymous>()@D:/Users/Doug/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/Content/scripts/miked/pins for libraries/md pins.dse:3277
    2021-08-07 08:08:47.890 Error in script execution: D:/Users/Doug/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/Content/scripts/miked/pins for libraries/md pins.dse
    2021-08-07 08:09:20.501 Loading script: D:/Users/Doug/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/Content/scripts/miked/pins for libraries/md pins.dse
    2021-08-07 08:09:20.521 WARNING: Script Error: Line 3277
    2021-08-07 08:09:20.521 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'oFileContentTab.getSelectedAssets' [undefined] is not a function.
    2021-08-07 08:09:20.522 WARNING: Stack Trace:
        <anonymous>()@D:/Users/Doug/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/Content/scripts/miked/pins for libraries/md pins.dse:3277
    2021-08-07 08:09:20.523 Error in script execution: D:/Users/Doug/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/Content/scripts/miked/pins for libraries/md pins.dse

dougj said:

I'm getting the following error when launching the script:

An error occurred while reading the file..

2021-08-07 08:08:47.829 Loading script: D:/Users/Doug/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/Content/scripts/miked/pins for libraries/md pins.dse
    2021-08-07 08:08:47.888 WARNING: Script Error: Line 3277
    2021-08-07 08:08:47.888 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'oFileContentTab.getSelectedAssets' [undefined] is not a function.
    2021-08-07 08:08:47.889 WARNING: Stack Trace:
    2021-08-07 08:08:47.890 Error in script execution: D:/Users/Doug/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/Content/scripts/miked/pins for libraries/md pins.dse
    2021-08-07 08:09:20.501 Loading script: D:/Users/Doug/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/Content/scripts/miked/pins for libraries/md pins.dse
    2021-08-07 08:09:20.521 WARNING: Script Error: Line 3277
    2021-08-07 08:09:20.521 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'oFileContentTab.getSelectedAssets' [undefined] is not a function.
    2021-08-07 08:09:20.522 WARNING: Stack Trace:
    2021-08-07 08:09:20.523 Error in script execution: D:/Users/Doug/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/Content/scripts/miked/pins for libraries/md pins.dse

Could you please write me your DS version?

Same error here, using 4.15.02 for MacOS 64 bit (same happens on my Windows 10 64bit gear).

Btw, the "Manual" script seems not be able to locate the manual itself. I checked the installation, and it seems it got omitted.

edited August 2021

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Same error here, using 4.15.02 for MacOS 64 bit (same happens on my Windows 10 64bit gear).

Btw, the "Manual" script seems not be able to locate the manual itself. I checked the installation, and it seems it got omitted.

Hey Mark ... I pm-ed a possible solution for dougj but let me check something before I repost it here ... The manual should be in the data folder ... it is working fine in my laptop but I wanna check the zipped file of DAZ's server ...

Post edited by MikeD on
    edited August 2021

Ok ... I have manual downloaded and have checked all the files in the product. I also installed it from DAZ Server (manual installation) and everything is in place .... I am re-posting the message I sent to Dougj if it helps ...

I have the same version with me - 4.15.02 -  (I am out of town and I have not the unencrypted files with me) but the script works fine in my laptop... I will try to figure out what is going on with this error, but I will have more information when I returned to my main PC next week....

The error said, more or less, that the script is not seeing the Content Library or the Smart Library, or you execute from a non mapped folder of DAZ Studio.

First of all .... I see in your log that your library is in your "D:/Users/Doug/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/Content/" folder. Make sure that this is a valid mapped folder ... you can see it in your DS by choosing the Content Library pane and then click on the menu button (the button I marked with the green arrow in the next screenshot https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E__tKrQQHkcb-orRg-64Y0YWsQsxhRPo/view?usp=sharing). In the pop up menu choose "Content Directory Manager" to open the next dialog (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XAANC7amacuOv2xCIiwdSWaGXOsIXaFJ/view?usp=sharing). Make sure the path "D:/Users/Doug/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/Content/" is listed in your "DAZ Studio Formats" folders. (if not, you can select the "DAZ Studio Format" as the red arrow shows and press the "Add" button to add it to the list).

A second though is to check that the "Content Library" tab is valid in your DS. You can go to menu "Window/Panes (Tabs)/"  and check if the "Content Library" pane is on (it should be highlighted). If it is not on you can click it in this dialog to bring it into the studio.

A question about installation ... Did you use DIM or manual install of the product?... it may be relevant as some problems have been reported to DAZ for some products that are installed through DAZ Central...

Also, try to execute the script from within the Content Library for the first time.

If these steps are a dead end send me to see what else could be wrong ...

Sorry for the inconvenience

-Mike

I also have win 10 x 64bit.

Mark_e593e0a5 the manual is in the "\ReadMe's\MikeD" folder and in the "data\MikeD\Pins_For_Content_Library\Icons" folder (you can check it in the zipped file of the product - You can take the zip file from your DAZ page in your account / Product Library Tab, if you chose the product and choose Download Zip under the "manual" header). The open manual script actually tells your os to open the pdf with the default program for .pdf files ... it works for me ... there were some references for glitches with acrobat reader in the past but it is not a DS problem but an acrobat reader issue (if you have this as the default pdf reader). In my laptop I have acrobat reader but it is not causing me any issues so far (the manual script opens normally the file into the acrobat reader)!

- Mike

Post edited by MikeD on

"Also, try to execute the script from within the Content Library for the first time."

This worked for me.

Doug J.

dougj said:

"Also, try to execute the script from within the Content Library for the first time."

This worked for me.

Doug J.

Same here. Works well from the Comntent Library. But the icons also work only if the content library tab is open. Once I switch to Smart Content tab, clicking on any of the two icons does nothing. 

When you first execute the script from the content library it will tell you how to auto add shortcuts icons into the toolbar, for the scripts... Once you have done this, the shortcuts icons should work for both libraries...

I started the script from the Content Library panel, and selected to install the script menu and toolbar shortcuts. 

The shortcuts do work, as long as any panel is open BUT the Smart Content one. Regardless if I use the toolbar icons or the menu entries, they do not trigger any function while the Smart Content panel is active. All other panels do work (Content Library, Tool Settings, PowerPose,... you name it) 

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

I started the script from the Content Library panel, and selected to install the script menu and toolbar shortcuts. 

The shortcuts do work, as long as any panel is open BUT the Smart Content one. Regardless if I use the toolbar icons or the menu entries, they do not trigger any function while the Smart Content panel is active. All other panels do work (Content Library, Tool Settings, PowerPose,... you name it) 

Mark do you have any log errors when you try to execute the script with the Smart Library selected? (Clear and save your log, select an asset in the Smart Library, run the script and check the log again please!).

Basically the same errors I got when I first tried to use the product after installation:

2021-08-09 11:40:01.462 WARNING: Script Error: Line 3277

2021-08-09 11:40:01.462 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'oFileContentTab.getSelectedAssets' [undefined] is not a function.

2021-08-09 11:40:01.462 WARNING: Stack Trace:

<anonymous>()@/Users/Shared/My DAZ Local Library/Scripts/MikeD/Pins for Libraries/MD Pins.dse:3277

As stated, it works well when executed with ANY other panel active. Only Smart Content seems to have a hicup.

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Basically the same errors I got when I first tried to use the product after installation:

2021-08-09 11:40:01.462 WARNING: Script Error: Line 3277

2021-08-09 11:40:01.462 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'oFileContentTab.getSelectedAssets' [undefined] is not a function.

2021-08-09 11:40:01.462 WARNING: Stack Trace:

<anonymous>()@/Users/Shared/My DAZ Local Library/Scripts/MikeD/Pins for Libraries/MD Pins.dse:3277

As stated, it works well when executed with ANY other panel active. Only Smart Content seems to have a hicup.

Thanks a lot Mark ... I have to look it deeper when I 'll have the un-encrypted files...

• zerozero Posts: 3

This is a pretty good product for my workflow. I can't think of the numerous times I have to dig around my large content library to find the item I am looking for. This plugin will do nicely for the items I use frequently. I can't comment on the smart content issue described above since I mainly use the content library.

I do notice that after clicking a pin; it closes out the dialog box after it opens up the folder. Any chance you can implement a setting option where it doesn't do that? I can see this getting quite annoying if we accidently click on a pin we didn't mean to and then we have to open the dialog box all over again.

• DamselDamsel Posts: 374

Just wanted to say thanks for this script! It's terrific! Very useful.

zero said:

This is a pretty good product for my workflow. I can't think of the numerous times I have to dig around my large content library to find the item I am looking for. This plugin will do nicely for the items I use frequently. I can't comment on the smart content issue described above since I mainly use the content library.

I do notice that after clicking a pin; it closes out the dialog box after it opens up the folder. Any chance you can implement a setting option where it doesn't do that? I can see this getting quite annoying if we accidently click on a pin we didn't mean to and then we have to open the dialog box all over again.

Thank you zero ... Yes it could be done in an update ....

Damsel said:

Just wanted to say thanks for this script! It's terrific! Very useful.

Thank you Damsel!

• Just dropping in to say that I'm getting the same error as a previous post. 

The Script Error: Line 3277

Any news on it.   Having so much assets I really would like to use this (what should be built in to studio) utility.   

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129
    edited December 2021

The script MD Pins will not run for me either. I installed with DIM. I get the following error in Daz Studio 4.16.0.3.

2021-12-13 00:52:06.007 Loading script: N:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/miked/pins for libraries/md pins.dse
    2021-12-13 00:52:06.022 WARNING: Script Error: Line 3277
    2021-12-13 00:52:06.022 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'oFileContentTab.getSelectedAssets' [undefined] is not a function.
    2021-12-13 00:52:06.022 WARNING: Stack Trace:
        <anonymous>()@N:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/miked/pins for libraries/md pins.dse:3277
    2021-12-13 00:52:06.022 Error in script execution: N:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/miked/pins for libraries/md pins.dse

Daz advertises MD Pins for Libraries as being compatible with Daz Studio 4.16. The problem was reported here months ago. Will it be fixed quickly, or do I need to request a refund?

Post edited by barbult on