Sword and Sorcery Fantasy Contest Questions and Discussion

Comments

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

From Wikipedia:

trade magazine, also called a trade journal, or trade paper (colloquially or disparagingly a trade rag), is a magazine or newspaper whose target audience is people who work in a particular trade or industry.[2] The collective term for this area of publishing is the trade press.[3]

Trade publications[4] keep industry members abreast of new developments. In this role, it functions similarly to how academic journals or scientific journals serve their audiences. Trade publications include targeted advertising, which earns a profit for the publication and sales for the advertisers while also providing sales engineering–type a

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,527
    edited July 2021

The rule is how it is written, nothing more and nothing less - It is one of the first things you have to learn when reading contracts and I have done quite of lot of reading of contracts over the past 30 years.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576
    edited July 2021

Personally, I'm inclined to take @Daz_Bryce at their word and believe that a ZBrush Perpetual License is the first prize even if it has not been updated in the Contest Rules yet.

Like some others, I'm not a big social media guy and tend to be a private person except with those I actually know. That being said, when I read #8 I think "trade" is referring to the 3D trade. To me, "trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes" doesn't make me think anyone is ever going to sell an image I submit, or mint an NFT based on it, if I enter.

The prizes being offered seem really good to me, and it seems reasonable/normal to expect them to use my image and my name for promotional purposes should I decide to enter and am fortunate enough to win.

- Greg

Post edited by algovincian on

PerttiA said:

The rule is how it is written, nothing more and nothing less - It is one of the first things you have to learn when reading contracts and I have done quite of lot of reading of contracts over the past 30 years.

Part of my job as a film exec here in Hollywood was to create contracts, negotiate with lawyers and make changes to the contracts. I was, in fact, acting as an attorney, and only after the contract was fully negotiated, did my boss hand it over for a quick overview by an actual attorney. In this context “trade” would mean trade publication advertising. What do you think, they are going to trade your image for a brownie like school kids? What exactly would they be trading? @Daz_Jessica said you don’t have to use your real name or info. We are talking about a jpeg image. That’s it. Not your “data”. 

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,906

Wonderland said:

In the context of how it is written “as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation.”  TRADE  could also mean “trade” publications. Like in the entertainment industry, Variety and The Hollywood Reporter are considered trade publications. So CG or Photoshop related magazines could be considered TRADE magazines. 

I don’t know why my print has a grey background here. Anyway, when I worked in the entertainment industry, we had boiler plate contracts similar to this. Some sounded almost sci-fi saying things like in “this universe or any universe yet to be discovered in any medium yet to be discovered” etc.,. There really is nothing nefarious here and they are in fact protecting the artist saying their name, photo, bio will be attached. 

I do have a question for @Daz_Jessica though. Can we put a visible watermark with our name & copyright symbol on top of the image? I’m not concerned about Daz stealing anything but others who steal art off the internet. 

I totally remember that this universe or yet to be discovered line in the release submission form for Project Greenlight back in like 2005. I thought it was the funniest thing and was like well, if Spielberg wants to use my image or anything from my five minute film submission for something, I must be doing something right lol. 

It isn't hard to make the rule say what they mean with it, unless the way it is written at the moment is what they do mean.

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,963

algovincian said:

Personally, I'm inclined to take @Daz_Bryce at their word and believe that a ZBrush Perpetual License is the first prize even if it has not been updated in the Contest Rules yet.

Like some others, I'm not a big social media guy and tend to be a private person except with those I actually know. That being said, when I read #8 I think "trade" is referring to the 3D trade. To me, "trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes" doesn't make me think anyone is ever going to sell an image I submit, or mint an NFT based on it, if I enter.

The prizes being offered seem really good to me, and it seems reasonable/normal to expect them to use my image and my name for promotional purposes should I decide to enter and am fortunate enough to win.

- Greg

I believe the changes to the prize is legit, but they still really need to update the official prize page. Both to ensure there aren't any doubts in people who read about it in the forums, but even more so for people who may want to enter and don't read the forums, or didn't read far enough into this thread to see an official answer.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,189
    edited July 2021

Wonderland said:

PerttiA said:

Part of my job as a film exec here in Hollywood was to create contracts, negotiate with lawyers and make changes to the contracts. I was, in fact, acting as an attorney, and only after the contract was fully negotiated, did my boss hand it over for a quick overview by an actual attorney. In this context “trade” would mean trade publication advertising. What do you think, they are going to trade your image for a brownie like school kids? What exactly would they be trading? @Daz_Jessica said you don’t have to use your real name or info. We are talking about a jpeg image. That’s it. Not your “data”. 

The issue I have with that statement is that you are not writting this contract and really don't know if that is what they mean or not you are just speculating that point. 

Post edited by shadowhawk1 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,872

how is this different to taking a commission?

You sell your image to the customer for their own use, if you don't wish to you don't sell it that simple.

Famous painters had understudies but they got the credit for the work, it's nothing new, if your work for an employer, the employer owns the work.

A competition is more like an unpaid internship with a bonus for the fortunate employees who's work impresses the judges, you gain experience and publicity as well so not a zero sum investment.

Don't enter if you don't want to.

• PerttiA said:

It isn't hard to make the rule say what they mean with it, unless the way it is written at the moment is what they do mean.

The rule needs to cover what they need it to cover. Legal terms being what theya re, that probably ends up being more all-encompassing than non-lawyers would find necessary.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,712

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

The rule needs to cover what they need it to cover. Legal terms being what theya re, that probably ends up being more all-encompassing than non-lawyers would find necessary.

No.

I have made enough agreements assisted by lawyers to know what is needed.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Wonderland said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

Wonderland said:

I’m not even sure what “Sword & Sorcery” is. Does it have to have that old medieval fantasy look or can it be futuristic sci-fi swords and “sorcery” which would actually be future technology rather than witchcraft...  I googled sorcery and it said “use of magic, especially black magic.” Is that what Daz wants to do a contest about?  Does it have to be swords AND sorcery? Or just swords? Or sorcery for good not evil? Many of the sample images don’t have swords or sorcery and some just appear to be regular fantasy or medieval.  I guess I really don’t understand this specific genre. 

well that'd be Conan the barbarian, Red Sonja, Warhammer, Warcraft, fantasy art style of Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell, Fastner and larson, Joe jusko, Luis royo, Frank frazetta, Greg and Tim Hildebrandt, Bob Eggleton,  Larry Elmoore, Keith Parkinson, Rowina Morril, Ken Kelly, Clyde Caldwell, Anne stokes well think you know most of these

Anne Stokes Collection Official 2019 Calendar - Lee's Dragon Dreams

Rowena Art | Facebook

Fantasy Art: Ken Kelly: Master Artist

The Art of Clyde Caldwell : Caldwell, Clyde: Amazon.com.au: Books

Artists of Sword & Sorcery: Chris Achilleos (1947-) - Dark Worlds Quarterly

The Druid Stone" by Keith Parkinson | Dark fantasy art, Scifi fantasy art,  Fantasy artwork

Larry Elmore · Silverwolf

Luis Royo Fantasy Dragon Art Wall Print POSTER 50*70cm|print poster|posters  postersluis royo - AliExpress

Free download Hellsing Dragon Boris Vallejo Luis Royo Fantasy Art Wallpaper  Mang [1024x768] for your Desktop, Mobile & Tablet | Explore 49+ Boris  Vallejo Wallpapers | Boris Vallejo Desktop Wallpaper,

The Fellowship by The Brothers Hildebrandt — Lightspeed Fine Art

Dragons' Domain: The Ultimate Dragon Painting Workshop by Bob Eggleton

The Daily Heller: Frank Frazetta, the Sci-Fi Rockwell

Review: The Fantastic Paintings of Frazetta – ComicMix

Beauty and the Beast By Frank Frazetta Art - Pop Threads

Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell's Fantasy Wall Calendar 2021: Vallejo, Boris,  Bell, Julie, Workman Calendars: 9781523508587: Amazon.com: Books

Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell: Dreamland eBook by Boris Vallejo -  9780062358110 | Rakuten Kobo United States

2011 Boris Vallejo & Julie Bell's Fantasy Calendar by Boris Vallejo and  Julie Bell: (2010) Magazine / Periodical | Centurybookstwo

Boris Vallejo - Legends of Fantasy Art vol.3 - HubPages

Boris Vallejo & Julie Bell's Fantasy 2022 Square - BrownTroutBoris Vallejo & Julie Bell's Fantasy Calendar : Boris Vallejo :  9780761162469

73+ Total War Warhammer Wallpapers 1920×1080

Warhammer Fantasy Wallpapers - Top Free Warhammer Fantasy Backgrounds -  WallpaperAccess

Warhammer Art Thread - Page 2 — Total War Forums

ArtStation - Warhammer chaos and conquest marketing images and  illustrations, Ruben Perez Gonzalez

Earl Norem and Ernie Chan Savage Sword of Conan #17 Cover Painting | Lot  #92241 | Heritage Auctions

Marvel Comics Art | Conan Artist | Marvel Artist Conan Cover Illustration

He-Man - The Prophecy Of Legends | Mad Duck Posters

ART Skeletor vs He-Man! An awesome painting by Reyhan!

Art Of Red Sonja: Lawrence, Chris, Ross, Alex, Cho, Frank, Hughes, Adam,  Lee, Jim, Turner, Michael, Brunner, Frank, Cassaday, John, Silvestri, Marc,  Thorne, Frank, Buscema, John, McNiven, Steve, Perez, George: 9781606900666:  Amazon.com:

She's Not Here to Axe You Nicely- Red Sonja: Queen of Scavengers Premium Art  Print | Sideshow Collectibles

Kiss of Death, The Art of Fastner & Larson by Rich Larson | 9780865620308 |  Booktopia

Fastner & Larson: Architects of Fantasy Vol. 1 SC - Westfield Comics

JAN121130 - JOE JUSKO MAELSTROM SKETCHBOOK HC SKETCH ED - Previews World

The Incredible Fantasy Art of Joe Jusko | Fantasy Artist

Thanks. Those are awesome! I’ve already done a lot of that style art and just called it fantasy. Most of those images don’t have a sword or sorcery in them so I wasn’t sure how specific the contest had to be...

my favorites cant be posted here.  lol

i like the one with the guy being held by the tree. a few of the winged ladies ones

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413
    edited July 2021

I do have a question for @Daz_Jessica though. Can we put a visible watermark with our name & copyright symbol on top of the image? I’m not concerned about Daz stealing anything but others who steal art off the internet. 

I got a reply to this on their facebook page answer is yes you can watermark it,when entering you upload your image via the entry section as well as a link to where it is on your social media page such as facebook or deviant art which there my images are watermarked with the deviant. Hardest part for me on the entry form is coming up with a short escription hard enough for naming them than having to come up with a reason or story behind an image, added two so far, I picked deviant as my link as that is where I get the most interaction or at the very least most likes oh and don't forget to add in the images description #daz3d and #MadeWithDaz  not just add them in the tag section

Post edited by ANGELREAPER1972 on

well they probably like many other companies in the entertainment industry - yeah I chuck daz in with them for this reason-  is that it is probably someone outside of Daz that has no knowledge/interest in this industry that wrote up the legal rules just like with some places have kinda turned on fans and fanart extra wont get into it but it's been happening lately to a few fanbases lately which is funny it is the fans, collectors extra that saved and resurected these things in the first place - so in other words someone from the outside may have been hired to write up these rules to cover daz to make it all legal so they can run offer this contest as well as to appease the big nobs that sit on the board that again don't really have any interest iknowledge in art or this medium

just like the different departments here are different entities and probably don't like each other

Most companies have in-house attorneys or at least a dedicated law firm they deal with. This was just a standard boiler plate contract similar to most contests and I really don’t understand what people are freaking out about. My only concern was random people stealing art off the internet and reselling it and glad to hear we can have a visible watermark. 

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,753

Watermarks are easy to photoshop out ... it's best to only have low-res images online and take your chances or don't risk it at all.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

WillowRaven said:

Watermarks are easy to photoshop out ... it's best to only have low-res images online and take your chances or don't risk it at all.

The people who do high-volume art theft won't even bother with photoshop. They use bots to scour things like Google images or Tumblr and then post them in bulk to a shady print site. I once found all of my Tumblr posts on a print site, reblogs and meme's included. 

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,753

see ... no point in stressing over it once the decision is made to put it online

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

WillowRaven said:

see ... no point in stressing over it once the decision is made to put it online

yes +1 

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,074

DustRider said:

WillowRaven said:

yes +1 

yes +1 +1

edited July 2021

WillowRaven said:

they'd be pretty good to photoshop my deviant art water mark out, it's always right in the middle and large, though it is the only site I have my stuff water marked

into the fray 23 dtos edition deviant art.jpg
    2009 x 1650 - 2M
    Post edited by ANGELREAPER1972 on

btw you know when you apply for a job you have to fill out forms that have the same terms as in this contest including the usage of you for other things

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i guess using Nursoda character wouldnt count since they arent sold here?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited July 2021

IIRC you only need to include one item from here in the render, so you could use it if you use something from here.

Post edited by DustRider on

They have now changed the first prize to Perpetual License, but that is the only change they made to the rules... Seven winners intead of the nine mentioned on the promo and here on the forums...

What's up?

It didn't take but hours to make corrections to the promo page, but it has taken what... Three working days to fix errors that DAZ has confirmed, and even after three working days only one of the errors was fixed... Ones nasal passages are sensing a strange scent...

WillowRaven said:

If you put your full name or website in large thin letters but translucent over the middle of the whole thing and the image has a lot of detail, it would take a lot of painstaking work. Low res is good too. But it’s actually good to post on social media because it establishes the date it was posted and clearly shows a coherence of style to your other work which are important if there ever was a lawsuit. I know people have used my art as wallpaper or avatars but haven’t caught anyone yet selling it anywhere although it wouldn’t surprise me. Someone tried to get a booth in Artist Alley at Comic-Con using my art to apply! And if someone buys a print, of course they can easily scan it or photograph a larger version of it at high res and do whatever with it. There really is no safety anymore. There are people who sell other artists’ comic book covers as art online or even album covers and movie posters. It’s really the Wild West.

Wonderland said:

From Wikipedia:

trade magazine, also called a trade journal, or trade paper (colloquially or disparagingly a trade rag), is a magazine or newspaper whose target audience is people who work in a particular trade or industry.[2] The collective term for this area of publishing is the trade press.[3]

Trade publications[4] keep industry members abreast of new developments. In this role, it functions similarly to how academic journals or scientific journals serve their audiences. Trade publications include targeted advertising, which earns a profit for the publication and sales for the advertisers while also providing sales engineering–type a

Rule 5 also states;

Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Daz 3D to use winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. 

There is no mistaking that as "trade magazine", although this would be much more acceptable than what has been written in Rule 8.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited July 2021

I posted an entry to the gallery that I believe includes many of the iconic sword and sorcery art elements.

Hopefully, posting to the Daz gallery is sufficient.  Please let me know if I need to do something more to enter.

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5913224163622912#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1160031

Fireball of the Dead Dio Comp JPG 01 no watermark.jpg
    1600 x 2192 - 815K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • UncannyValetUncannyValet Posts: 144

Diomede said:

I posted an entry to the gallery that I believe includes many of the iconic sword and sorcery art elements.

Hopefully, posting to the Daz gallery is sufficient.  Please let me know if I need to do something more to enter.

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5913224163622912#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1160031

There's literally an entry process detailed on the webpage.  You have to submit your entry here: https://www.daz3d.com/epic-fantasy-render-contest..

Also i dont think Daz Gallery counts as social media.  I think only external websites with social media components (e.g., like, reblog, comment) would count as social media, in the spirit of the contest. Ultimately it is a marketing scheme to attract users.

E.g., Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, etc... perhaps Artstation (I would assume Artstation counts).  Perhaps DeviantArt, although i am more dubious about this one being qualified as social media.

To those who "dont have social media".  Well maybe spend two mins making an account, or otherwise be disqualified from the contest.