Sword and Sorcery Fantasy Contest Questions and Discussion

Comments

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

BronzeDragon said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

rereading I noticed something amusing of sorts as we are not restricted by the usual tos rules here 

I guess that means we really can do a NVIATWAS render. Great, best kind to do!!!!!

No, section 8 says: "Daz 3D reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who does not follow the decency/nudity guidelines of Daz 3D." This presumably means that the Daz Gallery is the baseline for TOS limits. Even if you post on DA with the adult theme tag, if you can't post it in the Daz Gallery, it's not a valid entry. ANVIATWAS, not NVIATWAS...

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,527

AlmightyQUEST said:

They need to update the rules for the prizes, definitely, but what makes you think anything about rule 8 is going to change? It's the one they have been using for contests, what would make this one different?

Where did I give that impression?, but I do expect them to answer the concerns about it.

I don't know what the rules have said before, but if that has been in use, I'm surpriced that nobody has raised any questions about it, or am I again the first one to actually read the "contract"

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,963

If you haven't read the other contest rules before, it makes sense you wouldn't have seen it before. As far as why people would read it and not bring it up every time, probably it's because it's nothing new and if people aren't comfortable with it they don't enter the contest? I can't speak for everyone else.

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413

lilweep said:

melissastjames said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

blue said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

so if say we post our image on facebook and don't get enough likes/comments from our friends that can count against us? Also do our friends get tracked too? Like here I don't do that well on facebook in the likes/comments from friends but I do ok on facebook art groups with likes and comments - BUT thing is many of those groups are private and the only way can see content in many of them is being a member of those groups. I do really pretty well on Deviant Art though with lots of likes, comments, saves and shares but don't think this place would like some of the comments I get, oh and ones uploaded there have added to them deviant watermark

people actually put deviantart watermarks on their art unironically?

well I got asked by someone if they could reuse my art with slight changes and for them to claim as their own and in return they said they may credit mention me as creating original so I started doing that so they couldn't as well as then saying or others saying I ripped them off which happens

But why would you not put your own watermark on them, rather than use DA's? I designed my own logo and put it on everything.  

it's like, surely you'd rather have art "stolen" than to purposely ruin it with a watermark so much so that nobody would even want to steal it in the first place.

the DA watermark is so ugly. 

wonder what possesses people to think it's a good idea.  

it's when the the stolee and their friends then come at you accusing you of stealing their work and the originaly created it, again it's happened when created content for the sims game used some of my own photos for some objects in the game and someone claimed them same happened to a friend.

AlmightyQUEST said:

They need to update the rules for the prizes, definitely, but what makes you think anything about rule 8 is going to change? It's the one they have been using for contests, what would make this one different?

well with rule 8 it's kinda interesting one as it's kinda the tos everywhere. What I mean is say you sell your art on canvas, as a poster, calender, t shirt, on a mug or whatever now unless your rich and have the printing machines yourself your going to have your images transferred on these products by some printing company or store like kmart or something. Now some of these places have hidden in their terms and do say some  some don't bother to even mention it but many places reserve the right to reuse sell your images or use in advertising , I've read this on a few places that offered to print your images on canvas or whatever. So with this contest if you do win the prize is actually them buying the rights permission to use you and your art to promote them if you look it that way 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,249

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

lilweep said:

melissastjames said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

blue said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

so if say we post our image on facebook and don't get enough likes/comments from our friends that can count against us? Also do our friends get tracked too? Like here I don't do that well on facebook in the likes/comments from friends but I do ok on facebook art groups with likes and comments - BUT thing is many of those groups are private and the only way can see content in many of them is being a member of those groups. I do really pretty well on Deviant Art though with lots of likes, comments, saves and shares but don't think this place would like some of the comments I get, oh and ones uploaded there have added to them deviant watermark

people actually put deviantart watermarks on their art unironically?

well I got asked by someone if they could reuse my art with slight changes and for them to claim as their own and in return they said they may credit mention me as creating original so I started doing that so they couldn't as well as then saying or others saying I ripped them off which happens

But why would you not put your own watermark on them, rather than use DA's? I designed my own logo and put it on everything.  

it's like, surely you'd rather have art "stolen" than to purposely ruin it with a watermark so much so that nobody would even want to steal it in the first place.

the DA watermark is so ugly. 

wonder what possesses people to think it's a good idea.  

it's when the the stolee and their friends then come at you accusing you of stealing their work and the originaly created it, again it's happened when created content for the sims game used some of my own photos for some objects in the game and someone claimed them same happened to a friend.

lol

edited July 2021

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

AlmightyQUEST said:

well with rule 8 it's kinda interesting one as it's kinda the tos everywhere. What I mean is say you sell your art on canvas, as a poster, calender, t shirt, on a mug or whatever now unless your rich and have the printing machines yourself your going to have your images transferred on these products by some printing company or store like kmart or something. Now some of these places have hidden in their terms and do say some  some don't bother to even mention it but many places reserve the right to reuse sell your images or use in advertising , I've read this on a few places that offered to print your images on canvas or whatever. So with this contest if you do win the prize is actually them buying the rights permission to use you and your art to promote them if you look it that way 

Actually Rule 8 says that if you enter the contest, no matter if you win or not, DAZ and just about anyone remotely related to them, has the right to publish (and sell) not only your artwork, but in essence your identity, portrait and the story of your life, past, present and future in any current or future media until the end of times throughout the world without informing you or asking for your permission - Anybody ever heard of identity theft? If you even don't mind whoever picking whatever embarasing details of your life and posting them to the whole world.

It would be completely different and acceptable, if they stated that the above applies only to the artwork and whatever personal information you provide them with your entry.

What would happen, if one were to sell exclusive rights to one's life story to some hollywood producer, if one already sold those rights to DAZ for just the right to enter a contest?

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,629
    edited July 2021

@PerttiA I agree with your concerns. Some years ago, members at DA fought a similar battle with the management over contest rules. There, the management was responsive to our complaints and they actually changed their contest rules from then on. It was most gratifying! Here, unless the Official Rules actually change, the only logical solution is to not enter the contest.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited July 2021

i'm guessing theyd prefer to see 8.1 renders?

this would be a lot easier with a face rigged dragon.

smaug, diss

Post edited by Mistara on
  • AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289

Mystiara said:

i'm guessing theyd prefer to see 8.1 renders?

this would be a lot easier with a face rigged dragon.

smaug, diss

A dragon in chain mail bikini? Bought!

SlimerJSpud said:

BronzeDragon said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

rereading I noticed something amusing of sorts as we are not restricted by the usual tos rules here 

I guess that means we really can do a NVIATWAS render. Great, best kind to do!!!!!

No, section 8 says: "Daz 3D reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who does not follow the decency/nudity guidelines of Daz 3D." This presumably means that the Daz Gallery is the baseline for TOS limits. Even if you post on DA with the adult theme tag, if you can't post it in the Daz Gallery, it's not a valid entry. ANVIATWAS, not NVIATWAS...

Actually, that's Section 9. I'm easily distracted...

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

Wonderland said:

I’m not even sure what “Sword & Sorcery” is. Does it have to have that old medieval fantasy look or can it be futuristic sci-fi swords and “sorcery” which would actually be future technology rather than witchcraft...  I googled sorcery and it said “use of magic, especially black magic.” Is that what Daz wants to do a contest about?  Does it have to be swords AND sorcery? Or just swords? Or sorcery for good not evil? Many of the sample images don’t have swords or sorcery and some just appear to be regular fantasy or medieval.  I guess I really don’t understand this specific genre. 

well that'd be Conan the barbarian, Red Sonja, Warhammer, Warcraft, fantasy art style of Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell, Fastner and larson, Joe jusko, Luis royo, Frank frazetta, Greg and Tim Hildebrandt, Bob Eggleton,  Larry Elmoore, Keith Parkinson, Rowina Morril, Ken Kelly, Clyde Caldwell, Anne stokes well think you know most of these

Anne Stokes Collection Official 2019 Calendar - Lee's Dragon Dreams

Rowena Art | Facebook

Fantasy Art: Ken Kelly: Master Artist

The Art of Clyde Caldwell : Caldwell, Clyde: Amazon.com.au: Books

Artists of Sword & Sorcery: Chris Achilleos (1947-) - Dark Worlds Quarterly

The Druid Stone" by Keith Parkinson | Dark fantasy art, Scifi fantasy art,  Fantasy artwork

Larry Elmore · Silverwolf

Luis Royo Fantasy Dragon Art Wall Print POSTER 50*70cm|print poster|posters  postersluis royo - AliExpress

Free download Hellsing Dragon Boris Vallejo Luis Royo Fantasy Art Wallpaper  Mang [1024x768] for your Desktop, Mobile & Tablet | Explore 49+ Boris  Vallejo Wallpapers | Boris Vallejo Desktop Wallpaper,

The Fellowship by The Brothers Hildebrandt — Lightspeed Fine Art

Dragons' Domain: The Ultimate Dragon Painting Workshop by Bob Eggleton

The Daily Heller: Frank Frazetta, the Sci-Fi Rockwell

Review: The Fantastic Paintings of Frazetta – ComicMix

Beauty and the Beast By Frank Frazetta Art - Pop Threads

Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell's Fantasy Wall Calendar 2021: Vallejo, Boris,  Bell, Julie, Workman Calendars: 9781523508587: Amazon.com: Books

Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell: Dreamland eBook by Boris Vallejo -  9780062358110 | Rakuten Kobo United States

2011 Boris Vallejo & Julie Bell's Fantasy Calendar by Boris Vallejo and  Julie Bell: (2010) Magazine / Periodical | Centurybookstwo

Boris Vallejo - Legends of Fantasy Art vol.3 - HubPages

Boris Vallejo & Julie Bell's Fantasy 2022 Square - BrownTroutBoris Vallejo & Julie Bell's Fantasy Calendar : Boris Vallejo :  9780761162469

73+ Total War Warhammer Wallpapers 1920×1080

Warhammer Fantasy Wallpapers - Top Free Warhammer Fantasy Backgrounds -  WallpaperAccess

Warhammer Art Thread - Page 2 — Total War Forums

ArtStation - Warhammer chaos and conquest marketing images and  illustrations, Ruben Perez Gonzalez

Earl Norem and Ernie Chan Savage Sword of Conan #17 Cover Painting | Lot  #92241 | Heritage Auctions

Marvel Comics Art | Conan Artist | Marvel Artist Conan Cover Illustration

He-Man - The Prophecy Of Legends | Mad Duck Posters

ART Skeletor vs He-Man! An awesome painting by Reyhan!

Art Of Red Sonja: Lawrence, Chris, Ross, Alex, Cho, Frank, Hughes, Adam,  Lee, Jim, Turner, Michael, Brunner, Frank, Cassaday, John, Silvestri, Marc,  Thorne, Frank, Buscema, John, McNiven, Steve, Perez, George: 9781606900666:  Amazon.com:

She's Not Here to Axe You Nicely- Red Sonja: Queen of Scavengers Premium Art  Print | Sideshow Collectibles

Kiss of Death, The Art of Fastner & Larson by Rich Larson | 9780865620308 |  Booktopia

Fastner & Larson: Architects of Fantasy Vol. 1 SC - Westfield Comics

JAN121130 - JOE JUSKO MAELSTROM SKETCHBOOK HC SKETCH ED - Previews World

The Incredible Fantasy Art of Joe Jusko | Fantasy Artist

Thanks. Those are awesome! I’ve already done a lot of that style art and just called it fantasy. Most of those images don’t have a sword or sorcery in them so I wasn’t sure how specific the contest had to be...

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742
    edited July 2021

Wow! Just read this whole thread and can’t believe how paranoid people are! Social media is great advertising for your own work! I just always put a VISIBLE watermark with my website over the whole thing and keep images low res so it would be difficult to photoshop and reprint. I don’t post where I actually am if I do a “check in” until I’m actually home. I don’t post to say I’m out of town. Anything I post I’d be comfortable putting on a public billboard in a big city. That’s how I look at it and it’s basically what you are doing. 

Daz will not have the right to “steal” your image, just promote it and yourself as an artist. It’s free marketing for the winners! Why is everyone going nuts over this? No one is going to go to your house and break in because your art was posted on social media. Social media tracks you for advertising purposes, nothing more nefarious than that. They use it for FB advertising clients to narrow down target markets so people get targeted ads that they would be more likely to click on. I’m getting a lot of ads now for VR and digital art related stuff and sometimes discover cool stuff. I’d much rather have that than ads for fast food or laundry detergent or something I have no interest in. 

I have Alexa. She’s often an idiot but also sometimes helpful. She reminds me when to give my cat his medication. So far I haven’t seen an increase in ads for cat related stuff. You can check what’s being recorded and delete it. There is no chip in the Covid vaccine lol. The paranoia here astounds me! 

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

Wonderland said:

Wow! Just read this whole thread and can’t believe how paranoid people are! Social media is great advertising for your own work! I just always put a VISIBLE watermark with my website over the whole thing and keep images low res so it would be difficult to photoshop and reprint. I don’t post where I actually am if I do a “check in” until I’m actually home. I don’t post to say I’m out of town. Anything I post I’d be comfortable putting on a public billboard in a big city. That’s how I look at it and it’s basically what you are doing. 

Daz will not have the right to “steal” your image, just promote it and yourself as an artist. It’s free marketing for the winners! Why is everyone going nuts over this? No one is going to go to your house and break in because your art was posted on social media. Social media tracks you for advertising purposes, nothing more nefarious than that. They use it for FB advertising clients to narrow down target markets so people get targeted ads that they would be more likely to click on. I’m getting a lot of ads now for VR and digital art related stuff and sometimes discover cool stuff. I’d much rather have that than ads for fast food or laundry detergent or something I have no interest in. 

I have Alexa. She’s often an idiot but also sometimes helpful. She reminds me when to give my cat his medication. So far I haven’t seen an increase in ads for cat related stuff. You can check what’s being recorded and delete it. There is no chip in the Covid vaccine lol. The paranoia here astounds me! 

The only person who mentioned covid vaccines was me, and I was poking fun at the paranoia. I happily got vaccinated in April. ;)  

"Only the paranoid survive." -- Andy Grove, co-founder of Intel

Yes, paranoia is a little out of control on this topic IMO, but remember this: When it comes to social media, you are not the customer, you are the PRODUCT!

Actually, the main reason I don't like posting renders on Instagram is that they crop everything to a square and shrink it. At least on DA, you can have the original resolution.

edited July 2021

Wonderland said:

Daz will not have the right to “steal” your image, just promote it and yourself as an artist. It’s free marketing for the winners!

Read the rules (rule 8) again and this time without prior assumptions on what it says and ask yourself "why have they written it this way?"

Couldn't care less about what they did with the artwork, but the rights to publish ones personal life that they assume for all contestants (not just winners) goes way above and beyond reasonable.

It's the same when I ask a sales person, "What were you thinking when you accepted this clause in the contract?", the answer quite often is "That's just standard clause, never mind it", but when the smelly thing hits the ventilation device, that sales person is usually the first one to flee from the sight - There is not a word in any contract that wasn't put there for a reason.

Post edited by PerttiA on
    edited July 2021

Well, I entered one. I never win these things, but this was fun. I may do more ... in my other spare time!

Original at: https://www.deviantart.com/slimerjspud/art/Anarani-Summons-Something-Mysterious-886056021

Post edited by SlimerJSpud on
  • Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,074

Wonderland said:

+1 (minus the Alexa bit)  FYI...my goal in life is to be remembered when I die... If Daz wants to broadcast me to the world then I say Have At IT!!!  I have nothing to hide... my life is an open book.  A veeerrrry boring book... but at least it's open (so far... knock on wood).  :)

SlimerJSpud said:

SlimerJSpud said:

BronzeDragon said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

Actually, that's Section 9. I'm easily distracted...

so am I ooo look shiny things

edited July 2021

Wonderland said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

Wonderland said:

I’m not even sure what “Sword & Sorcery” is. Does it have to have that old medieval fantasy look or can it be futuristic sci-fi swords and “sorcery” which would actually be future technology rather than witchcraft...  I googled sorcery and it said “use of magic, especially black magic.” Is that what Daz wants to do a contest about?  Does it have to be swords AND sorcery? Or just swords? Or sorcery for good not evil? Many of the sample images don’t have swords or sorcery and some just appear to be regular fantasy or medieval.  I guess I really don’t understand this specific genre. 

well that'd be Conan the barbarian, Red Sonja, Warhammer, Warcraft, fantasy art style of Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell, Fastner and larson, Joe jusko, Luis royo, Frank frazetta, Greg and Tim Hildebrandt, Bob Eggleton,  Larry Elmoore, Keith Parkinson, Rowina Morril, Ken Kelly, Clyde Caldwell, Anne stokes well think you know most of these

Thanks. Those are awesome! I’ve already done a lot of that style art and just called it fantasy. Most of those images don’t have a sword or sorcery in them so I wasn’t sure how specific the contest had to be...

I look at sword and sorcery as the more adult pinup style of fantasy like these artists/art and these do have the swords and magic elements in their backgrounds and as said before I look at stuff like Lord Of The Rings as standard fantasy look mostly for all ages style so you still have wizards, barbarians, dragons/creatures and cute things aimed at young ones which is probably what daz is after thinking more on it so no holding up a head of a gorgon or other creature, no dead creatures/characters missing parts like the giant fantasy snake, no blood on jaws like the various dinos/creatures/vamps, no bloody skeletons or blood on weapons So since this is DAZprobably what I've posted as examples wouldn't work probably looking more at stuff like My Little Pony style unicorns, How to Tame your Dragon, Pixer Disney style imagery basicly

Post edited by ANGELREAPER1972 on
  • Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,636
    edited July 2021

SlimerJSpud said:

Well, I entered one. I never win these things, but this was fun. I may do more ... in my other spare time!

Original at: https://www.deviantart.com/slimerjspud/art/Anarani-Summons-Something-Mysterious-886056021

Cool :)

While we're sharing, here's my entry:

"Scouting" - a young woman and her dragon, boldly going where no one they know has gone before.

Posted to my Twitter: https://twitter.com/SilentWinter3D/status/1416641930872516610

and my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRdVxocBzFh/

^Click for bigger

Scouting 01.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 518K
    Post edited by Silent Winter on

Wonderland said:

well I posted somewhere else here if have any of your images printed upas canvases, posters, mugs, tshirts or whatever a lot of them can/might resell your art sooo it's no different so unless you have your own massive equipment  there's always a chance of happening but at least this way as you said it is free advertising and who knows right people might notice and wanna buy your art for some product and maybe get a chance to make a living doing what we enjoy.

As for the being attacked over your art wellllll been there a lotI've had a lot of hatred, anger, violence directed at me throughout my life over my art, my interests, how I look my very existance 

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,189

Wonderland said:

That is great that you feel as comfortable as you do about social media, and your comments seem to be somewhat condescending and inflammatory towards those that don’t feel the same comfort level that you do. Not all of us are trying to ‘promote’ ourselves as artist and many have legitimate reasons to be wary of a large social media footprint. I could dispute many of your claims about social media but that would derail this thread and I am sure it wouldn’t be appreciated. Perhaps you could be more understanding about others concerns when it comes to social media before posting comments like this.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

All I ask is if we could please stop quoting the 100 images post so that I don't have to scroll 19 miles each page? That'd be great. 

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,074

melissastjames said:

All I ask is if we could please stop quoting the 100 images post so that I don't have to scroll 19 miles each page? That'd be great. 

+1 ... pleeeeeeeeease!

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

Swords & Sorcery is one of my favourite genres, but I am not going to enter the contest.

No way I am giving DAZ indefinite and unlimited rights to my personal data, including my biography. Much less giving said rights to unspecified number of entities they decide to sell those data to at any time in the future, totally eliminating any semblance of control over who has my data and what can they use them for.

Daz, seriously, have you gone nuts?

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

Yes, because DAZ is surely going to fund their evil NFT empire by selling our biographies. They'll make a fortune off of mine - guy who almost never leaves the house and eats macaroni frozen dinners and chicken patties every other day.

You'll give up ten times the privacy just signing up for the social media account that you're supposed to use to post your contest entry. 

SnowSultan said:

Yes, because DAZ is surely going to fund their evil NFT empire by selling our biographies. They'll make a fortune off of mine - guy who almost never leaves the house and eats macaroni frozen dinners and chicken patties every other day.

You'll give up ten times the privacy just signing up for the social media account that you're supposed to use to post your contest entry. 

If one did have a social media account (which is not necessary for this contest), you are still not giving anyone perpetual rights for worldwide publishing the information you post there. 

edited July 2021

deleted my render here

submit_to_the_longhorn_by_angelreaper1972_denldu7-fullview.jpg
    2009 x 1222 - 927K
    Post edited by ANGELREAPER1972 on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

Yes, you can post in the gallery here, and I think people should even if they also post on social media so we might be able to see more of the entries this time.

Just because something is possible doesn't mean it will happen. Adobe also has a lot of information of mine due to my subscriptions, but I'm really not worried about them putting my art on the splash screen of Photoshop and claiming it as their own because I had a Behance page for a week. If you really think that DAZ put that fine print in the rules so they can make money publishing your biography ten years from now, you might want to reconsider being online at all.