Dragon-person for G8F

There are multiple dragon-person products for males. Drago and DragkonSaurian for lizard-men. But I can't find any similar products for females. Something to use to make a female half-dragon. I'd like to have something like Drago, but for G8F.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,161

JoeQuick has said that he's hesitant to release female figures because Ms. Hedgehog sold poorly, while Oso has expressed the opinion that transgender morphs make female versions of creatures unnecessary. I think both stances are very misguided, but that takes the two of them largely out of the running for creating what you're after. RawArt made Dragelle, who may or may not be what you're after, but she is for G3F, so you could try transferring the morph to G8F and using these instructions to port her geografts. To my knowledge, he hasn't said anything one way or another about why he hasn't made a G8F equivalent, or one more similar to Dragkon.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818

so, you mean a reptilian with boobs devil

you actually can already use the anatomical elements on either gender

if the whole laying/spawning fertilisation, incubation and hatching of eggs thing doesn't appeal cheeky

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Just to clarify, I don't think transgender morphs make female versions unnecessary, but it relieves some of the frustration/disappointment.

Female monsters sell _terribly_. I mean, really really bad. Heck, even my tiger characters, which I thought would tap more into the furry market which loves female characters? Rakshasi (female tigers) sold 82% of what the Rakshasa did. Which isn't a HUGE difference, but shows that even with the furry market, 'weird female' suffers.

So, yeah, it's great if someone does female and male, but the more alien/weird the form is, the more female characters are going to suffer in sales. But thankfully... transgender shapes at least gives you an option you wouldn't have otherwise.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,029

fireblast said:

There are multiple dragon-person products for males. Drago and DragkonSaurian for lizard-men. But I can't find any similar products for females. Something to use to make a female half-dragon. I'd like to have something like Drago, but for G8F.

What would a female version of those look to you?

• Oso3D said:

Just to clarify, I don't think transgender morphs make female versions unnecessary, but it relieves some of the frustration/disappointment.

Female monsters sell _terribly_. I mean, really really bad. Heck, even my tiger characters, which I thought would tap more into the furry market which loves female characters? Rakshasi (female tigers) sold 82% of what the Rakshasa did. Which isn't a HUGE difference, but shows that even with the furry market, 'weird female' suffers.

So, yeah, it's great if someone does female and male, but the more alien/weird the form is, the more female characters are going to suffer in sales. But thankfully... transgender shapes at least gives you an option you wouldn't have otherwise.

that's because a large percentage of the furry fandom is gay and bi. there is only a small percentage of straight people in the fandom that would make people think the furry fandom is all full of LGBT people because of how small it is.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,344

I'm going to back Oso up on this one, as I may quite possibly know better than anyone else about this - because I *do* have a custom female half-dragon 3D figure (see current avatar).

... and she's consistently one of my least popular characters when I post renders to DeviantArt. She's one of my personally favourite characters and models, but if I had to worry about what the audience think, I'd never use her. Some female monsters do well (comparatively, my arachne is far and away the most popular character I use, despite my refusal to use the D&D specific term "drider" in my upload tags), but I'm pretty sure female lizard people aren't a lucrative market opportunity.

I absolutely won't stop a vendor if they want to do one as a passion project, but based on my own experience, I don't think vendors should be criticised for saying they don't think it will pay off.

• It's not quite what the OP is talking about, but I'd like to use dragon grafts on the female figure, to make something like this.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582

Oso3D said:

That honestly surprises me because we usually see posts describing the reverse, how the female items far outsell the male stuff, resulting in many content makers hedging their bets and simply not bothering to create the masculine equivalents.  For what it's worth, I've purchased both the female and the male versions of your anthro (read: furry) products (my preference is for the ladies), even though I can't run DAZ Studio on my 10 (11?) year old clunker of a computer.  I intended to majorly upgrade the first part of 2020 right after Micrisoft dropped support for Windows 7, but then Covid struck and I was unsure of my vocational security (I still have my job) and then I required substantial bathroom repairs, sapping the nest egg I had set aside for a more robust PC.  But at least I have your items whenever I DO finally upgrade.

Sincerely,

Bill

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,548

With creatures, non-human, aliens, or other things like that it is reverse of the "normal" expectations. It depends, I am sure, but that always has held true for me.

• Thunderwall said:

It's not quite what the OP is talking about, but I'd like to use dragon grafts on the female figure, to make something like this.

Love it!  :D :D :D 

• I know that personally, I tend to buy just about any female anthro type morph and character I can find. I would love to see female counterparts to male anthros. It can be done using the variety of trans morphs though, it does make transitioning for a sequence a bit more of a pain.

Dragoned_Camera.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
  • VueiyVueiy Posts: 518
    edited August 2021

Thunderwall said:

It's not quite what the OP is talking about, but I'd like to use dragon grafts on the female figure, to make something like this.

That would be wonderful.  I think part of the reason the female therianthrope characters tend not to sell well is b/c they "monsterfy" the wrong parts, or in such a way that they no longer retain human female characteristics (which is what most people want in a female character).  I have characters who can morph either entirely into a dragon or partially, so a reasonable adaptation would be mostly human, but with things like geograft wings, tails, and claws (hands and/or feet).  Leave the face mostly alone, or only have minor additions like scales away from the main parts of the face, or horns.

Post edited by Vueiy on
  • Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557

But what kind of female dragon ?

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited August 2021

Note: If you need a Drago with breast, you can apply a female morph to G8M

Post edited by Noah LGP on
    edited August 2021

Matt_Castle said:

I'm going to back Oso up on this one, as I may quite possibly know better than anyone else about this - because I *do* have a custom female half-dragon 3D figure (see current avatar).

... and she's consistently one of my least popular characters when I post renders to DeviantArt. She's one of my personally favourite characters and models, but if I had to worry about what the audience think, I'd never use her. Some female monsters do well (comparatively, my arachne is far and away the most popular character I use, despite my refusal to use the D&D specific term "drider" in my upload tags), but I'm pretty sure female lizard people aren't a lucrative market opportunity.

I absolutely won't stop a vendor if they want to do one as a passion project, but based on my own experience, I don't think vendors should be criticised for saying they don't think it will pay off.

I think sometimes the problem here is that the female monster types tend to be more monster and less female, gnome sane?  It really depends on which one in particular you're talking about, but when you're talking about something like a dragon/lizard, you usually can't tell the difference in the actual creatures at a glance unless it's something like coloration or size (like how males of a given species tend to be brighter in color, or females are larger, etc.).  Naturally, since human males and females tend to differ much more visibly, those two aspects are at odds, and don't always translate over well to 3D.  BTW, I'm not referring specifically to your avatar/character; I can't see it very well from the icon alone, and I haven't seen your art.

Back to the main point, though, it might be better to offer dragon-characters as a set (or separately and bundled together), and see if sales do better like that.  I know that, personally, if I want to render/illustrate a race of dragon-kin characters, I'd rather have male and female.  The transgender or whatever morphs could be helpful, except if you want to use female clothing items on the male character w/ female morphs.  Yes, you can convert from one to the other, but for certain clothing items, that doesn't work nearly as well (namely shoes/skirts/segmented capes/etc.) as ones made for the figure.

Post edited by Vueiy on

Noah LGP said:

But what kind of female dragon ?

Not sure about the OP, but I'm partial to the second type myself (red one that looks mostly female but has dragon parts), and I think that sort of character would probably sell better than the first and last examples.  1 & 3 are more lizard/dragon-like in appearance, which is at odds with, well, boobs.  2 is mostly human in appearance, so boobs make sense.  I don't like demon characters, but I've found I sometimes have to borrow horns and wings from them and go back to the old Qabbalah Accessories for a tail...which is a bit too bony for what I want in a dragon tail, but seems to be the most versatile for slapping on characters it wasn't meant for.  Ideally, I'd like a tail as versatile as the Dragon 3 one, where you can add spikes or change the shape, so it'll match my characters' dragon forms as well.

edited August 2021

For example, here's one of my characters that I render a lot.  I recently made her a G8F character, whereas her first iteration was OG Genesis (tons of possible morphs there, but that was before dForce, so I updated her).  She's supposed to be a human who can transform into a dragon, or only transform certain parts (claws, wings out, etc.).  For the tail, I used Drago, but as you can see, it's merely parented to the hip, not fit to the figure (all the articulated tail parts are lost when you try that).  Even if they didn't make a full dragon character, the extremeties (tails, claws, horns, wings) would be nice.

Alexis (Drakish).png
    1545 x 2500 - 5M
    Alexis tail.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by Vueiy on
  • SchaakaSchaaka Posts: 141

Noah LGP said:

Note: If you need a Drago with breast, you can apply a female morph to G8M

Wait, how do you do that? Not the drago part but adding a male morph to a female and vice versa?

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114
    Not sure about OP, but the only reasons I'd be interested in a G8F dragon-person is because I could dress her up in G8F clothing or mix her with G8F characters. Using transgender shapes wouldn't help with that. (I'm aware I'm in the minority because everyone else, so far, immediately mentioned breasts. X'D)
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,474

MimicMolly said:

Not sure about OP, but the only reasons I'd be interested in a G8F dragon-person is because I could dress her up in G8F clothing or mix her with G8F characters. Using transgender shapes wouldn't help with that. (I'm aware I'm in the minority because everyone else, so far, immediately mentioned breasts. X'D)

Breasts are essential part of dinosaurs as they are big birds? At least chicken has breasts wink

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

I don't see any point in putting human breasts on a reptile, but I do see great use for compatibility with G8F-exclusive props, acecssories and clothing items.

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

Oso3D said:

to be fair i really love both of male and female and almost bought it on the 2,99 sales, when it was on that, i didn't buy because on that time i've already had bought a lot of stuff and my credit card was on the red alert to not buy anything anymore just wating for another chance again to do it, they really look cools and for my fantasy world game i'm planning having aways "male and female" is a win, i really hate when it's just or male or female even today i'm still sad which one of my favorite alien character aureska still have only the "female" and never get a male version of her =/, even if i use the "transgender morph it' still have the issue for let's say the gens lacking of "material(texture) since is female only you can't get a "male gen texture" this is why "transgender" can be complicated because characters textures where build only for one gender which means if you try to make a "male version of a female" and want do something "naught" with it it aways will be a issue because the female texture don't have a "male texture" for gens only female and the other way around you have only female texture/materials for female gens not male. 

Vueiy said:

I think sometimes the problem here is that the female monster types tend to be more monster and less female, gnome sane?  It really depends on which one in particular you're talking about, but when you're talking about something like a dragon/lizard, you usually can't tell the difference in the actual creatures at a glance unless it's something like coloration or size (like how males of a given species tend to be brighter in color, or females are larger, etc.).  Naturally, since human males and females tend to differ much more visibly, those two aspects are at odds, and don't always translate over well to 3D.  BTW, I'm not referring specifically to your avatar/character; I can't see it very well from the icon alone, and I haven't seen your art.

Well, for the full version of that particular piece:

Link

... who I would say is thematically similar to the Drakon and Saurians mentioned in the OP, but visibly female* - so I'd take her to be at least similar to what the OP was looking for.

~~~~~

* And yes, I've heard the arguments about whether such a character should have breasts, but she is in my canon a dragon/human hybrid. Normally, cross-class hybrids are considered impossible in the setting** unless they're daemons, but she's somehow both mammal and reptile (without being a daemon) and shows traits of both. No-one has any idea how that's happened, because all they know is that she was recovered from a creature trafficking ring back in 1997, apparently about three years old, and neither she or the traffickers knew anything about where she'd come from.

** Angels are seemingly mammalian/bird, but are more imitating the bird part. Merfolk are actually human/dolphin hybrids (both mammalian) - they've got the horizontal tail of aquatic mammals rather than the vertical tail of fish, and historically dolphins were often depicted as scaled because the artists didn't know better.
    When things actually break the rule, like arachne, they're daemons, at which point pretty much all bets are off, because daemons don't have to be bound by anything approaching normal biology; Vulcani are made of fire, for example.

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495

You can learn to transfer a number of morphs between male and female, just takes some work to set up.

Also there's the following production line: SY Genesis 8 male to Genesis 3 male, GenerationX2 Genesis 3 male to Genesis 3 female, then Genesis 3 Female to 8 Female

Psyckosama said:

You can learn to transfer a number of morphs between male and female, just takes some work to set up.

Also there's the following production line: SY Genesis 8 male to Genesis 3 male, GenerationX2 Genesis 3 male to Genesis 3 female, then Genesis 3 Female to 8 Female

All of the figures linked in the OP are HD figures, and end users cannot transfer or edit HD morphs. (Only the SD component).

(Also, the suggested approach requires several separate products, most of which are rarely on sale because the original PA passed on and is no longer making new products to trigger a back catalogue sale).

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

Oso3D said:

It might have been that the Furry demographic did purchase the female version in either equal or greater numbers, but that the non-Furry customers accounted for all of the rest!

Also, it helps when a female version of a character is already officially in the continuity. For example, I would think a female cenobite, from 'Hellraiser', would sell equally as well as male versions do (unless it's Chatterer, which was a unique design). Would also be interesting to see the sales data for merfolk characters, as mermen are a lot more prevelant in popular folklore than mermaids had been. Then compare the merman sales data to that of Raw's recent male Jawz character.

Personally, I welcome the unisex approach, purely for compatibility with all clothing and props.

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495

Matt_Castle said:

Psyckosama said:

All of the figures linked in the OP are HD figures, and end users cannot transfer or edit HD morphs. (Only the SD component).

So? Look, it's an option. Personally, I'm not even overly fond of HD morphs, espically ones baked into the figure itself.

(Also, the suggested approach requires several separate products, most of which are rarely on sale because the original PA passed on and is no longer making new products to trigger a back catalogue sale).

I said it was an option, not that it was perfect.

And if you really need the HD morphs, export the figure to blender at maximum resolution, bake the HD details down into displacement maps, and there you go...

Honestly, HD morphs are nothing but fancy content locked Displacement maps anways...frown

edited August 2021

Psyckosama said:

Personally, I'm not even overly fond of HD morphs, espically ones baked into the figure itself.

While I'll concede they're often unnecessary on human figures (and can largely be replaced with good normal mapping), the extra mesh density is very important for figures like this in order to create the sharp hard details of spikes, scales, etc.

Honestly, HD morphs are nothing but fancy content locked Displacement maps anways...frown

No they're not, unfortunately. The difference on a technical level (ignoring the actual control of each - one couldn't do a JCM displacement, for example) is that displacement maps act only along vertex normals, but HD morphs can move the vertices in any vector. While the difference is minor in many cases, the difference is very significant for complex shapes like this, and it can even make getting a proper displacement bake nearly impossible.

I've done displacement bakes many times for my own projects, but one of the things I've learned along the way is that they're limited in their ability to emulate HD morphs.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • fireblastfireblast Posts: 35
    edited August 2021

Vueiy has it exactly right.

Post edited by fireblast on
  • Thunderwall said:

100% this