Carrara challenge #59 ANNWFN - In honour of Chohole.

Comments

• namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 246

That's Fantastic, Namtar3d! I hope you don't mind my showing it.

Please do it. Thank you!
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

she is beautiful.  inpirational image! heart

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

namtar3d said:

Here's my working on screenshot. 

I did the dress from scratch, and i use a surface replicator for the grass. 

It will have a lot of flowers, some flying petals and maybe some picnic stuff. Still need to find a good texture for the dress and work on shaders. 

I'm still not sure about the background, :P 

Everything about this image is gorgeous! I would only turn on depth of field.

edited August 2021

this is a tough one.  no visions are coming to my mind.

think if i had a herbal smoke would help losen up the visions

Post edited by Mistara on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Mystiara said:

this is a tough one.  no visions are coming to my mind.

think if i had a herbal smoke would help losen up the visions

ha ha on the smoke - just make an image of something you love. Maybe a whisp of herbal smoke perhaps?

Doesn't have to be profound, just from the heart

Sorry to be away we went into lock doan a few days agon (finally) and have had stuff to sort out.

edited August 2021

mschack said:

WIP update, a little GMIC contrast. painted the boat by hand in Carrara, thought it turned out ok...

I just read Diomedes post concerning too much detail https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6939966/#Comment_6939966, and I think my image might be a good example of basically obscurring things and letting the viewer fill in the details themselves.  There are only four trees and a few bunches of weeds but your brain will fill in the rest.  Nothing gives away the game quicker than ultra clear detail, which if you think about it we rarely ever see in real life.  

Plus I'm lazy so this works well for me haha...

lovely image -says just the right amount without giving away too much.

great minds think alike, I was going to drag my fishing kayak into a scene.

Your thoughts on image making mirror mine - as far as my paintings go.

I get  dragged up to talk about my work sometimes and I always give the same kind of talk starts of with "Most people think that artists see more (than other people), but a good artist really sees less."

And 'it's all about suggesting things, involving the audience to help you construct the image - a symbiotic relationship."

Of course an artist has to be able to see more in the first place in order to see less in the end place. So it's really smoke and mirrors :)

Here's a detail of a work I was working on before we went into lockdown

Untitled-1.jpg
    3983 x 1773 - 4M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited August 2021

namtar3d said:

Here's my working on screenshot. 

I did the dress from scratch, and i use a surface replicator for the grass. 

It will have a lot of flowers, some flying petals and maybe some picnic stuff. Still need to find a good texture for the dress and work on shaders. 

I'm still not sure about the background, :P 

that's lovely , great pose, really impressed you made the dress and yes, the background is humming ! looking forward to the petals and other thins - some blowing in the breeze is a terrific idea

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax said:

Great oil painting effect!!  Thanks !!!

Here's a quick start from me have to cook dinner !! before I get in trouble!

It's an Orrery kitbashed from various objects and had a go at the lofting tool in the modelling room

Intriguing desk for a young lad !!! Looking good !

thanks yes he is a bit of a nerd :)

Stezza said:

Coblynau 

Coblynau are mythical gnome-like creatures that are said to haunt the mines and quarries of Wales.

Like the Knockers of Cornish folklore they often help miners to the richest veins of ore or other treasures by their peculiar knocking sound. They are said to be often friendly and helpful.

The word Coblynauor Bwca in Cymraeg, (Hob Goblin in English) Goblyn is German, but due to the Welsh language and History not being used in south Wales, because of the Welsh not! is related to the English word Goblin and may derive from a Germanic source akin to the German Kobold, via the French Gobelin.

modelled a shillelagh, bucket and the gnome and the rock wall. Used Carrara hair for the gnomes beard.

superb modelling once again Stezza, and a perfect theme for the challenge, thank you

Dartanbeck said:

Wow, Wow, Wow, and Wow!!!

Bunyip, HeadWax, mschack and Stezza... these are some really cool pieces! Very very nice!

thanks Dart, really looking forward to what you come up with.

and thaank you@mschack !

edited August 2021

"Elijah and his Home Made Orrery"

An Orrery being a model of the solar system - the solar system itself (and it's components), for most of mankind's existence, being a metaphor for the Heavens and The Gods.

Much of the lighting from this is from caustics.

Sorry to be away, got caught up in lockdown stuff!

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

Headwax said:

lovely image -says just the right amount without giving away too much.

great minds think alike, I was going to drag my fishing kayak into a scene.

Your thoughts on image making mirror mine - as far as my paintings go.

I get  dragged up to talk about my work sometimes and I always give the same kind of talk starts of with "Most people think that artists see more (than other people), but a good artist really sees less."

And 'it's all about suggesting things, involving the audience to help you construct the image - a symbiotic relationship."

Of course an artist has to be able to see more in the first place in order to see less in the end place. So it's really smoke and mirrors :)

Here's a detail of a work I was working on before we went into lockdown

Symbiotic relationship, that is a wonderful way of putting it. 

Your painting is excellent,

I love impressionistic style, which is all about suggesting rather than telling.

edited August 2021

thank you @mschack

I spent a few hours at this site observing , then took a whole lot of photos and stitched them into panorama

(the painting is three paintings in one - three strips)

then  blur the hell out of them and painted from the blurred images and also my memory

them and then I go back to unblur to see what I actually painted :) eg oh that large frog in the corner is really a palm tree... :)

So you composed it digitally then painted it from that?  Cool.

edited August 2021

Thank you all for your comments!

I'm at work right now, but i will check later the entire thread to read and see all the works. 

Here more pics of my entry, still deciding the camera angle and some little things like ground texture and dress texture. 

For the roses and dress petals i use mapped surface replicators.  

For blowing petals i use a flow force on simulation. 

cc.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 745K
    cc2.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 1M
    cc3.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 1M
    cc4.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 856K
    cc6.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 975K
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    1764 x 810 - 535K
    Post edited by namtar3d on

Nice, i like cc6

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

- Bunyip - as always, great to see you leading the way with themed renders.

- HeadWax - thanks for showing the steps along the way and the final image, frog and all. Always beautiful and informative.

- mschack - so serene!  Feels heavenly.  Great use of misty foggy haze.  Can't stop myself from filling in obscured details.  Love it.

- Stezza - excellent history lesson and modeling.  I need some Welsh goblins to help me around the house.  Wonderful tribute.

- namtar3d - such elegance!  Great job on the created content, pose, and hair.  Can't wait to see your final choices for cloth shaders and camera angles.  Excellent.

Sorry to be slow to post a project of my own.  I have been experimenting in Bryce to create my setting.  I'm not happy so far with my results.  I am not as comfortable with Bryce's materials as I am with Carrara's shaders so my early attempts are not worth sharing yet.  Keep up the great work, everyone.  I will be joining in. 

@namtar3d, I prefer cc. Pure perfection.

edited August 2021

Ok here my last 2 working on previews.

I think that background fits better, isn't? 

Added ground texture and some shader adjustments. 

I just want to say how fun and easy is to work with Carrara!

Update: I did 2 recolor experiments... i'm still prefer white one, but was funny to make them. 

test1.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 702K
    test2.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 882K
    test3.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 750K
    test4.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 532K
    Post edited by namtar3d on

I still prefer the first one. And yes, the background is much better. The second image is overexposed.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

mschack said:

WIP update, a little GMIC contrast. painted the boat by hand in Carrara, thought it turned out ok...

I just read Diomedes post concerning too much detail https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6939966/#Comment_6939966, and I think my image might be a good example of basically obscurring things and letting the viewer fill in the details themselves.  There are only four trees and a few bunches of weeds but your brain will fill in the rest.  Nothing gives away the game quicker than ultra clear detail, which if you think about it we rarely ever see in real life.  

Plus I'm lazy so this works well for me haha...

Looking great !!!

Headwax said:

"Elijah and his Home Made Orrery"

An Orrery being a model of the solar system - the solar system itself (and it's components), for most of mankind's existence, being a metaphor for the Heavens and The Gods.

Much of the lighting from this is from caustics.

Sorry to be away, got caught up in lockdown stuff!

Getting betterer all the time !!!

namtar3d said:

Update: I did 2 recolor experiments... i'm still prefer white one, but was funny to make them. 

Excellent !!!

Diomede said:

- Bunyip - as always, great to see you leading the way with themed renders.

- HeadWax - thanks for showing the steps along the way and the final image, frog and all. Always beautiful and informative.

- mschack - so serene!  Feels heavenly.  Great use of misty foggy haze.  Can't stop myself from filling in obscured details.  Love it.

- Stezza - excellent history lesson and modeling.  I need some Welsh goblins to help me around the house.  Wonderful tribute.

- namtar3d - such elegance!  Great job on the created content, pose, and hair.  Can't wait to see your final choices for cloth shaders and camera angles.  Excellent.

Sorry to be slow to post a project of my own.  I have been experimenting in Bryce to create my setting.  I'm not happy so far with my results.  I am not as comfortable with Bryce's materials as I am with Carrara's shaders so my early attempts are not worth sharing yet.  Keep up the great work, everyone.  I will be joining in. 

Thanks !!!

Looking forward to your work !

namtar3d said:

The pink one is my favorite color of roses. Getting even better.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

not an entry just a video heart

hmmm heaven.  heaven needs a hammock, cold beer, and a twist of lime.

• lately there were a few nice mediterranian plants in the store.

but i hade to load and export them via DS.

then terrain and many surface replicators in carrara.

arcadia1 land.png
    1024 x 768 - 1M
  • then using it for:

apollo & daphne chase in arcadia.

arcadia1 chase.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited August 2021

I am trying to find time to get an entry in. School Holidays+August=Grandchildren (almost daily!)   But I just got news that my first cataract op is on 23rd August. Going to the eye hospital, so it's not a quickie job. I don't know if my other eye will be good enough to carry on with this, but here goes.  My husband is Welsh and we've been married for 30 years and I've been to most corners of beautiful Wales.  And Pam was a lovely helpful person that I wish I had known myself. I think she only lived an hour from me. After helping me with my new machine build, I should have made more of an effort since I think we were from the same generation.  sad

So.....first I have made a woman dressed in traditional Welsh costume (Bedgown & Stovepipe Hat).  The dress is DAZ Victorian Maid for G2F and shoes re-texted, and from Wilmap's Pilgrim costume for G2M, I re-formed the hat into the one that Welsh ladies used to wear. There is a controversial history about that fashion. See link below. I have also put an image showing what makes up most of the costume I was able to reproduce. The shawl is the DAZ Romi for G3F hip scarf retexted with a traditional red Welsh paisley pattern.  Had fun making a bowl into a bonnet for under the hat. I am not very good at creating clothing. Then applied a lace texture with alpha. The daffodils were extracted from Tango Alpha's Country Ford, the Pembrokeshire Corgi (like the Queen has/had) came from CGT.  Basket is DAZ Marrakesh Souk Basket.  For now she and her puppy are just sitting on a bench from Victorian Street Props.  I don't know if Pam had a dog, but I am sure she had a kind face and loved nature.  

Next will be a few outdoor Welsh landscape scenes of the Brecon Beacons that I hope will reflect some of the real locations that I think Pam would have known, and perhaps visited. I have to pose her manually, as the dress just does not want to follow her arms, but got there in the end. There are lots of variations on traditional dress, and you can read more at the other link below.  I didn't use my trusty Misty G3F as I could not get the Vic Maid dress to behave, so I used G2F. Unlike G3... I cannot get the exact facial expressions that they give, so have to make do with combining a few of G2 facial expressions. I am grateful to Alvin for his Morph Eraser. Saved me a lot of bloat! 

More to come, but I am going to just kitbash DAZ materials but plan to use Carrara PA as much as possible, totally if I can manage it!

surprise  Silene

About the hat:   https://welshhat.wordpress.com/the-welsh-hat/theories-on-the-origin-of-the-welsh-hat/
    About the costume:   https://welshhat.wordpress.com/elements-of-welsh-costumes/

Welsh Costume Image.jpg
    300 x 450 - 58K
    Doc2.jpg
    640 x 942 - 59K
    Post edited by SileneUK on