Carrara 9

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I see those in V4 but not M4 even with M4's morphs++ loaded. I wonder why V4 shows them, and not M4?

I group all those together and then save my figure to the Object Browser. Saves a lot of time, but is a PITA setting it up in the first place. If I had been smart about it all those years ago, I would have saved a base V4 to my browser with the morphs grouped and then built my characters from the base version. I suppose it's not to late for new characters....

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Hey, I have some good news !! It's possible they will release C9 "any day now". Here's a quote from ex DAZ CEO Dan Farr in an interview with cgchannel from almost exactly 3 years ago (Feb 2012):

"Farr commented that Carrara 9 was expected to ship within the next month or two.." :) :) :)

Anyway, Dan was the founder of DAZ back in the early 2000's. I think he was replaced by Jim Thornton, who was replaced by Phil Reed, if I'm not mistaken. Although DAZ has been pretty quiet in recent years, so it's hard to tell what's going on. Anything more recent than the Gizmoz merger in 2010 is hard to come by. Not sure what happened with that merger either. They had big plans to get into personalized gaming avatars, where you can place an image of your face on your avatar and put yourself in the game or something. But info on that dries up after 2010.

FWIW, here's an interview with Dan from the middle of last year. Apparently he's become the "crusader" for bringing the ComicCon to Salt Lake City. http://www.utahbusiness.com/articles/view/dan_farr_comic_con_crusader

And he's got his own website...

http://danbfarr.com/

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

"Farr commented that Carrara 9 was expected to ship within the next month or two.." :) :) :)

Lol! That's worth a chuckle :)

edited January 2015

Okay, I have an idea...

Apparently Mr. Farr has done an impressive job of creating this Comic Convention in Salt Lake City, and it looks like it's twice every year. And the attendance numbers are in the 75,000 - 100,000 range. Good job Mr. Farr !!

And also it seems like there is one of the events NEXT WEEK in Salt Lake City, from Jan 29-31. And they have some fairly impressive guests, like Carrie Fisher, Christopher Lloyd, and, well, Ralph Macchio... :) and a bunch of people I've never heard of, but I'm sure they're famous and stuff.

http://www.saltlakecomiccon.com

Anyway, I'm thinking that one of you Utah guys might run over to the convention and see if you can flag down Mr Farr and buy him a beer. Tell him all the guys and girls in the Carrara forum miss the Farr days. And ask him, "Look, Dan, give me the straight scoop....Carrara...thumbs up or thumbs down?". He doesn't have to say anything, just give a thumbs up or down. :) :)

Then PM me with an icon for up or down. No explanation needed. :) :)

Anyone who does this as a service to the forum will automatically win the world's first ever "Carrara Forum Award for Excellence and Awesome Scrumtrulescence" :) :)

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Dammit, I get claustrophobic in crowds, but I'm probably the only one who's nearby. Never been to a comic con either. Pretty sure it's only running during my normal work hours, but who knows maybe I can take a day off....

edited December 1969

Scrumtrulescence, Jonstark.....we're talking scrumtrulescence....

Think about it....

edited December 1969

And Ralph Macchio, Jonstark....RALPH MACCHIO !!!

Not sure exactly who he is....some kid in a TV show from long ago I think....can't remember cuz I never watched it....but I'm sure he's awesome.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Dammit, I get claustrophobic in crowds.....

Yeah, I know what you mean...I'm allergic to large gatherings of geeks and nerds... :) :) :)

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 1969

I don't believe that Carrara is a dead end, the software is in some case old but great and does its job very well.
    It also is a bargain if I take a look on other softwares like Vue infinite or 3ds max where you always have to pay monthly to run that software , the only problem is that there is not that much interest in that software as there is not enough advertising for it, most people have heard of c4d or maya and so on but never of Carrara.

For Carrara 9 I would wish some new features to speed up render times like gpu rendering, also the lightning should be improved a bit as it is hard to achieve realistic lightning in that software.

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    edited December 1969

For Carrara 9 I would wish some new features to speed up render times like gpu rendering, also the lightning should be improved a bit as it is hard to achieve realistic lightning in that software.

Check out the tutorial series by PhilW here at the store. You might change your mind:-)

edited December 1969

ProPose said:

Check out the tutorial series by PhilW here at the store. You might change your mind:-)

I purchased from infinite skills the tutorials for Carrara a short time after I purchased 8 Pro as I had a few problems on the software, they already helped me a lot. The last was realism rendering but still outdoor scenes are not that easy compared to others, as indoor goes they can be really great.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

ProPose said:

I purchased from infinite skills the tutorials for Carrara a short time after I purchased 8 Pro as I had a few problems on the software, they already helped me a lot. The last was realism rendering but still outdoor scenes are not that easy compared to others, as indoor goes they can be really great.

That's odd - I would have said the other way around! I generally think that outdoor scenes are much easier to light well, you've really only got the sunlight and the skylight (whether using Carrara's built-in Realistic Sky or an HDRI as Background), whereas interior scenes have so many more variables.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    That's odd - I would have said the other way around! .

Yeah, I agree...generally, indoor scenes are much more difficult to light, especially if you're trying for "realism", like if you want to mimic a photograph. No matter what app you use, when you have multiple light sources (instead of just sun and sky light, for example), and the light sources are man-made, with incandescent or fluorescent or LED or whatever, each with nonlinear characteristics and varying light patterns and colors, etc., it gets extremely complicated to duplicate that.

edited December 1969

I often was unhappy with the lightning of outdoor scenes so I often rendered them without any sky (seperate) and added a real sky photography on photoshop to get the best results out for me.
    As Indoor scenes goes, I haven't used those yet and don't know if they are apply able in Carrara but most uses IES light profiles

edited December 1969

Not sure exactly who he is....some kid in a TV show from long ago I think....can't remember cuz I never watched it....but I'm sure he's awesome.

Was he Chachi (sp?) on Happy Days?
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

IMDB says he was the Karate Kid.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001494/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

edited December 1969

Yes, that was it! The Happy Days connection is still there, as his old teacher was on Happy Days.

On a side note, what the heck has he been in that would justify a Comic-Con appearance?

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Yes, that was it! The Happy Days connection is still there, as his old teacher was on Happy Days.

On a side note, what the heck has he been in that would justify a Comic-Con appearance?

Wrong Ralph Macchio.
    From Wikipedia:

"Ralph Macchio is an American comic book editor and writer who has held many positions at Marvel Comics, including executive editor. Macchio is commonly associated with Daredevil, the Spider-Man line of comics, and the Ultimate Marvel line.
    Macchio is not related to the actor Ralph Macchio, but is nicknamed "Karate Kid" after that actor's famous role."

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

That explains it.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    "Ralph Macchio is an American comic book editor and writer who has held many positions at Marvel Comics, including executive editor. Macchio is commonly associated with Daredevil, the Spider-Man line of comics, and the Ultimate Marvel line.
    Macchio is not related to the actor Ralph Macchio, but is nicknamed "Karate Kid" after that actor's famous role."

Odd that you should bring that up. I've just read an article including him and his talents, just not long ago!
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    Wrong Ralph Macchio...

No, he was right. The Karate Kid. If you look at the ComicCon link I posted it has fotos of all the guests, and it's the Karate Kid kid.

No idea why he's included in ComicCon, but you can get a list of the movies he's been in. There must be something Comic-y he's been in.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Dammit, I get claustrophobic in crowds, but I'm probably the only one who's nearby. Never been to a comic con either. Pretty sure it's only running during my normal work hours, but who knows maybe I can take a day off....

Since you're a big Firefly fan, you may want to check out Joe's link. The actress that played the prostitute or companion (or whatever euphemistic title they gave her), is going to be there.

• JedilawJedilaw Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

Wish list for Carrara 9? So far, pretty short:

1) Working smart content

2) UI consistency with Daz3D

3) Polygon modeling tools. Lots of them. Because the ones in 8.5 aren't gonna do it.

edited December 1969

de3an said:
    Wrong Ralph Macchio...

No, he was right. The Karate Kid. If you look at the ComicCon link I posted it has fotos of all the guests, and it's the Karate Kid kid.

No idea why he's included in ComicCon, but you can get a list of the movies he's been in. There must be something Comic-y he's been in.

Well I'll be damned! You're right!
    The Comiccon website clearly shows that it is indeed the actor Ralph Macchio, and not the comic book editor Ralph Macchio who is appearing.

How odd that there is a comic book editor named Ralph Macchio.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited January 2015

Odd that there are two famous (well, kind of) Ralph Macchio's, I wouldn't have thought it was a common name.

P.S. What was this thread about again?!

Post edited by PhilW on
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    P.S. What was this thread about again?!

Christmas lights, right?

Oh, wait... :) :)

edited December 1969

A few posts up, I think Jedilaw was trying to get this train on the tracks again.

edited December 1969

A few posts up, I think Jedilaw was trying to get this train on the tracks again.

Is there still hope?

Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg
    500 x 600 - 65K
    edited December 1969

de3an said:

Is there still hope?

That's weird. I hadn't heard the French ran their railroad into the ground-

• PGrePGre Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

I'd like a show/hide normals toggle on the toolbar in the vertex modeler. or at least a shortcut key.