How I use Carrara...

BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
edited February 2015 in Carrara Discussion

So some folks were interested in the sort of "animation transformation" style that I'm using Carrara with on my upcoming project. I've only posted still images in the past, but in an effort to be more of a WIP-friendly person, I decided to post a few actual shots from one of my upcoming cartoons.

I have two methods of using Carrara in terms of shaders. One is to build the shaders directly on the model with Toon It and YAToon, and the other is to render two separate animations with each render separately tooned and combine them in post (I do the latter pretty consistently with solid objects -- armor, buildings, cars, etc). I find that for flesh blending in-program works best (for the results I prefer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORwCDWgHKXw

UPDATE: Finished animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZvU3uBRCOw

Post edited by BC Rice on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Very cool!
    I definitely look forward to seeing more!

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
    edited December 1969

Very cool!

Thanks!

I was planning on posting the finished animation when I launch the rest of my project in a few months, but I've been thinking about posting it sooner than later as a way to help gather some interest in the project.

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited December 1969

BC Rice said:
    Very cool!

Thanks!

I was planning on posting the finished animation when I launch the rest of my project in a few months, but I've been thinking about posting it sooner than later as a way to help gather some interest in the project.

Can't wait to see it. That's super cool work!

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited December 1969

BC Rice,

Very nice looking start to the animation.

edited December 1969

Hey! Thanks all :)

If I whip myself in just the right manner at just the right time...I might be able to have it up and done by next week.

Have to be careful not to rush it, though. Like, once it's up it's up and that's it, I'm done with it.

In the meantime, though, I did use Carrara in another video I did just as a quick break from my current project. It's kind of a mess, but it was totally just to give my brain a complete break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzfN2r_ATPs

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

BC Rice said:
    In the meantime, though, I did use Carrara in another video I did just as a quick break from my current project. It's kind of a mess, but it was totally just to give my brain a complete break.

Holy Moly! EX-MEN: GAMBIT is hilarious! Extremely well done in every aspect. It's something that I would expect to see aired on the Cartoon Channel's [Adult Swim].
    Kudos to you and everyone involved.

edited December 1969

de3an said:
    BC Rice said:

Holy Moly! EX-MEN: GAMBIT is hilarious! Extremely well done in every aspect. It's something that I would expect to see aired on the Cartoon Channel's [Adult Swim].
    Kudos to you and everyone involved.

Hey thanks! :)

I was just like...so exhausted mentally. I just wanted to grab and do something with a variety of randomness for pure enjoyment. It really helped to sustain me over the last year. Sometimes you just need to take that break from a thing to get your self centered.

edited December 1969

Updated with the finished animation. Thanks

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Outstanding! Weird, but outstanding. And also very very funny dialogue.

Also the X-Men Gambit one was hilarious.

• donatodonato Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

I've been using Carrara to create 3d audiences. It's been so fun. I made a "Diva's Tribute":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6kyJKHgtk

Ohh Baby Baby and I added a screen to make a background trio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VodQ-gfIcRY

The stage can set the mood for the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9rCCnwaBx4

Very interesting backgrounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZmZZ3k_N54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_VHLXWr_G0

And I have a ton of other ideas.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Outstanding! Weird, but outstanding. And also very very funny dialogue.

Also the X-Men Gambit one was hilarious.

Haha thanks man :)

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

BCRice....I just looked at your stuff..

Dude, seriously that's some good stuff. I LOVE your style, and the humor. I'm amazed. Very very well done.

Bravo. That has to be some of the best stuff I've seen here in a long time.

edited December 1969

By the way, have you worked professionally as an animator?

edited December 1969

BCRice....I just looked at your stuff..

Dude, seriously that's some good stuff. I LOVE your style, and the humor. I'm amazed. Very very well done.

Bravo. That has to be some of the best stuff I've seen here in a long time.

Hey awesome, thanks man! Couldn't be doing it without Carrara! ;)

edited December 1969

Ex Men Gambit is absolutely hilarious...I would watch 1/2 hour of that...easy...

edited December 1969

By the way, have you worked professionally as an animator?

Haha Nah, nothing like that.

Once upon a time I wanted to be a novelist, then about five years ago I got really sick for a long while (all better now!) during which time I slowly lost my ability to maintain the kind of focus required to write prose. So I would doodle instead. Picked up a couple programs like Flash and Carrara just to keep my spirits up, and eventually got my needs taken care of that way, I guess.

So now all the visual stuff I guess it's a big part of how I make stuff? But no schooling or proper job experience or any of that. Just couldn't write for a time, so drew and messed around with models instead.

The second episode of Dead at the End is actually a full cast audio book that I'm working on now, so it's all just a random mishmash of stuff I do. Haha

edited December 1969

You wrote it and animated it?

Where do you live?

edited December 1969

You wrote it and animated it?

Where do you live?

Yeah. And Chicago.:)

edited December 1969

Oh, okay...I'm just thinking...if you want to work in cartoon animation doing stuff like that, I'd recommend you put together a demo reel. Really all you need to change, IMO, is to tighten it up a bit...sometimes it drags a little too long. But even then it's hilarious.

Cartoon Network is in Burbank, CA. You might contact them and show them your reel. And then shop around to some of the other cartoon companies.

Unfortunately, I hesitate to recommend that people think about getting into animation nowadays because it is so incredibly competitive and tough. And especially in VFX, companies have been dropping like flies in the last 10 years, since a lot of stuff is getting shipped overseas. Not unlike many industries nowadays. The US animation business is pretty bleak now.

But anyway it can't hurt. You have some serious talent. Just don't expect much, sorry to say.

edited December 1969

Oh, okay...I'm just thinking...if you want to work in cartoon animation doing stuff like that, I'd recommend you put together a demo reel. Really all you need to change, IMO, is to tighten it up a bit...sometimes it drags a little too long. But even then it's hilarious.

Cartoon Network is in Burbank, CA. You might contact them and show them your reel. And then shop around to some of the other cartoon companies.

Unfortunately, I hesitate to recommend that people think about getting into animation nowadays because it is so incredibly competitive and tough. And especially in VFX, companies have been dropping like flies in the last 10 years, since a lot of stuff is getting shipped overseas. Not unlike many industries nowadays. The US animation business is pretty bleak now.

But anyway it can't hurt. You have some serious talent. Just don't expect much, sorry to say.

Oh! Haha No, no, it's a pirate's life for me. ;) I've never been interested in any of that -- working for studios and stuff. I just like to do my own thing. I could imagine a universe where I could be okay with writing the occasional animation script on a work-for-hire basis, but I think I'd sooner rip off my eyelashes and replace them with someone else's dirty toenails than to take a job animating for some company.

I do stuff like scrub toilets to make a living. I prefer that over working as an animator for a studio (true story). Haha ;)

edited December 1969

But maybe in a few years when this current project has some sturdy legs under it, I could see myself sending some stuff out and querying about script jobs. Most of that is in California, though.

But with the Internet? Who knows? :)

edited December 1969

Unfortunately, you're probably closer to the truth than you realize...it's not a fun profession anymore, for many reasons.

Anyway, you do some really good stuff. Keep at it.

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Inspiring stuff, great talent and wouldn't have known it was Carrara if I wasn't told. Thanks for sharing.

edited December 1969

Inspiring stuff, great talent and wouldn't have known it was Carrara if I wasn't told. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words! :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I'll jump on the bandwagon as well! Awesome stuff you've produced.

That was a really funny X-Men video.

I'm sure Dart and I would agree, there's a lot of great talent in the upper mid-west! ;-) You'll have to come and say hi to us Cheeseheads at some point.

edited December 1969

Mr. Rice, just curious...

The 2D cartoon stuff, like the opening scene in Ex-Men....what software did you use to generate that?

edited December 1969

I'll jump on the bandwagon as well! Awesome stuff you've produced.

That was a really funny X-Men video.

I'm sure Dart and I would agree, there's a lot of great talent in the upper mid-west! ;-) You'll have to come and say hi to us Cheeseheads at some point.

Haha Thanks.

And I don't know how I can feel about cheesheads... haha

#BEARDOWN

edited December 1969

Mr. Rice, just curious...

The 2D cartoon stuff, like the opening scene in Ex-Men....what software did you use to generate that?

Anything that's 2D is Flash, with the exception of a few spots where I'm using Photoshop (like with the more comic-booky looking image of Gambit when he's all like, "My playing cards..."

The majority is Flash.

edited December 1969

Nice. You have some very nuanced animation skills...and great comedic timing BTW...

edited December 1969

Nice. You have some very nuanced animation skills...and great comedic timing BTW...

Really appreciate it :)