Off Topic Thread #2

Comments

• SileneUK said:

In your zip file there should be a txt file called “AncestryDNA.txt” per this article that is only two years old. So it should be in there as and not just a spreadsheet.  It is just lines and lines of data, no spreadsheet format.  You will have to hunt out and evaluate any ancient sites that can do that kind of analysis if interested. Ancestry only goes back a thousad or two thousand years to show your European roots, eg to the Bronze Age, farmer invaders, etc, whatever flavour of the month is.

https://www.dataminingdna.com/how-to-download-your-ancestry-dna/

I went to a local caves here in the UK and the guide said if you have your next toe to your big toe as the same length, then you have Neanderthal genes. Well, erm, no I don't.  I think in the US they used to call this physical quirk Indian Toes. And I don't have any NA blood either! 

laugh  Silene

it is a text file but looks like it could be put into a spreadsheet with columns, that is what I meantblush 

my next toe shorter, they evenly reduce in length to the shortest little toe so maybe no Neanderthal in me either devil

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited February 2022

A spreadsheet format wouldn't help us,but I can see that it looks like that, yeah. If I look at my file, each line is an SNP that starts with an rs  ID number. then the markers you tested positive for. There should be a column header at the very top if word wrap worked in your txt file.  So if your text file is set up so each line starts with an SNP, or even if it looks a bit messy, that should be all you need to upload to a site that will analyse it for you right from the txt file.  There's a decent explanation at this site, as it has a digram which I like. I am not recommending this site, just like the explanation.

I need really simple things like diagrams when it comes to genetics!  But one thing that Ancestry did not tell me back in 2013 was what hablogroup I was in. I had to find another site for that. And then another site for the ancient calculator.  I think now you can find sites that for a small fee will do it all. Just be sure you check their reviews on Feefo or something, first. That is why I am just suggesting this site for reading about the raw data, not recommending it. It may be good, but check out others if that is what you are looking for.

cool Silene

https://support.livingdna.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028382892-How-do-I-interpret-my-raw-data-

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

here in southern NSW we are about to be hit by a rainBomb!

SE Queensland and northern NSW were hit in the last few days and now it's travelling down the coast! surprise

fingers crossed.... 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

flooding seems a yearly event for you 

stay safeheart

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,531

Stezza said:

SE Queensland and northern NSW were hit in the last few days and now it's travelling down the coast! surprise

fingers crossed....

116.6mm Friday, 116.8mm Saturday, 64.8mm Sunday. A lot of other places had much more !!!

Keep those feet dry !

WendyLuvsCatz said:

flooding seems a yearly event for you 

stay safeheart

and you guys have a plague on monster mozzies!  surprise

we seem to be getting 1 in 100 year events every year these days!

Video

I learn something new everyday cheeky

when you render the final frame of a Particle Simulation and Carrara is simulating the particles,

Its not just crunching numbers it is actually doing the entire animation up to that frame and having my Octane render window open while using the native engine shows you what is happening as that progress bar completes in real time!

edited March 2022

this gets crazier, my Octane and Carrara renders are different because the particles fall randomly each time!!!!

shells0351.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Doc2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    shells0300.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Stezza said:

fingers crossed.... 

Im having fun up the north coast, sleeping tied to my surfboard ;)

YouTube being tardy processing the 1080HD

but my shell particle sim is in this video (along with Twinmotion footage)

Headwax said:

Stezza said:

fingers crossed.... 

paddling through Maccas drive thru... surprise 

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179

Headwax said:

Surfboards! Never thought of that! In our case windsurfers, but still ...

A decade ago, we just hunkered down in the interior hallway:

crafty modellers always fascinate me

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Stezza said:

Headwax said:

Stezza said:

fingers crossed.... 

paddling through Maccas drive thru... surprise 

Thinking of you.... hope the rains stop and the waters go down soon! cryingbroken heart Silene 

"Shane Warne, global cricket star, dies at 52"

I'm very much the typical US cricket fan, meaning only rarely.  But even I recognize this name.  Very sad.  

Steve K said:

I'm very much the typical US cricket fan, meaning only rarely.  But even I recognize this name.  Very sad.  

"Playing for Australia starting at age 22, Warne took 708 wickets in multiday Test matches, and added 293 in one-day matches, making him one of only two players to take 1,000 international wickets, alongside Muttiah Muralitharan of Sri Lanka. During much of that time, Australia was the best team in the world, regularly vanquishing the likes of England, India, the West Indies and South Africa."  (NYTimes, 4Mar2022)

For those unfamiliar with cricket, but familiar with American baseball, you might think Andy Pettite: "Andrew Eugene Pettitte (born June 15, 1972) is an American former professional baseball pitcher who played 18 seasons in Major League Baseball (MLB), primarily for the New York Yankees. He also pitched for the Houston Astros. Pettitte won five World Series championships with the Yankees and was a three-time All-Star. He ranks as MLB's all-time postseason wins leader with 19."  (Wikipedia)  He pitched for the highschool in my Houston suburb, and for the junior college nearby.

Steve K said:

Vale Warnie & Rod Marsh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Marsh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Warne

edited March 2022

making of video of some silly stuff I do

I rendered the depth maps out using my vertex room tweaked subdivided grids

WendyLuvsCatz said:

making of video of some silly stuff I do

I rendered the depth maps out using my vertex room tweaked subdivided grids

Very cool, including the Shaker Hymn yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Blessings to everyone.  Australia does seem to be getting more than its share of extreme weather events.  Stay safe.  This time of year I would normally go to baseball spring training, but professional baseball has a contract interruption in the US.  Well, I visited family in Texas instead, and by coincidence the baseball team for my college was playing in a tournament outside of Dallas.  Went up to Frisco, TX for a game.  
    Hope everyone is as well as can be. 

my furbabies

WendyLuvsCatz said:

my furbabies

Nice kitties ! Although the ones in the background next to the window look as though they have not eaten anything for awhile !

edited March 2022

my beautiful Lynx has crossed the rainbow bridge broken heart

my Avatar

on left in above photo

a recent one below

just waiting for my brother to drive up here with a shovel as mine all too crappy to dig my heavy clay soil, I found a lovely cardboard storage box with roses on it

A01A5C48-0673-4677-851C-D9D6778068FB.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M

he was like he was sleeping after I put him in the box, little paw over head looked so alive, he slept like that often and would have in that box if I left it open, broken heart

I stroked him before closing the lid and he felt so alive I had to check his eyes, wish I hadn't, he is gone. crying

WendyLuvsCatz said:

my beautiful Lynx has crossed the rainbow bridge broken heart

my Avatar

on left in above photo

a recent one below

just waiting for my brother to drive up here with a shovel as mine all too crappy to dig my heavy clay soil, I found a lovely cardboard storage box with roses on it

Condolences, it's always hard when pets are part of the family ....

edited March 2022

was quick whatever it was, heart attack, aneurysm maybe, I heard a hiss and growl thought the cats were fighting ignored it for a minute (not unusual) then thought better investigate break it up and heard a thud and found him dead.

They both were at the food bowls eating so a fight was very likely but they don't hurt each other just swat, he usually holds her never the other way around, nobody gets bites or scratches 

• I'm very sorry about that, Wendy - it's always horribly painful to lose one of them.

Richard Haseltine said:

I'm very sorry about that, Wendy - it's always horribly painful to lose one of them.

thakyou heart 

I am still in shock, it was so sudden and unexpected, he seemed perfectly fine minutes before, was happy, purring when I picked him up so I could feed Lucy first (as he wolfs all her food otherwise), scratching his scratcher before I let him in to feed, a minute later he was dead

edited March 2022

heart

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Very sorry for your loss, Wendy.  Sending hugs. heart