PSA: Best Buy RTX 3000s In-Store Only - Eastern Standard Time Daily Checks (20211001 - 20211231)

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited December 2021

+++++ 2021 Dec 24 - NO In-Store Only Sale 2021 Dec 25 

9 PM EST Evening Update:

Online Only (details at BestBuy.com)

(regular $619.99) PNY NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB Single Fan Graphics Card VCG306012SFXPPB - Best Buy

Online or In-Store

(regular $000.00) 

Open Box

(regular $000.00 open box $000.00) 

9 AM EST Morning Update:

(regular $619.99) PNY NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB XLR8 Gaming REVEL EPIC-X RGB Single Fan Graphics Card VCG306012SFXPPB - Best Buy

Online or In-Store

(regular $000.00) 

Open Box

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 734

nonesuch00 said:

Tugpsx said:

Got the RTX360 12G today installed in the system only to have Daz studio fail to start with an OpenGL 1.3 compatibiility errot. The work around is to place a copy of opengl32.dll in the daz studio root directory. Card works great so far big improvement over my overclocked GTX660Ti.

What version of Windows are you running? It sounds like you have manually installed software based openGL libraries or such in the past. If you did, uninstall all that.

Your best bet is to go into "Safe Mode" using the Windows generic VGA drivers and then uninstall all past video drivers installs for any nVidia GPUs you've had in the past. Then go to the nVidia website & install the latest "Studio" drivers for RTX GPUs.

The OpenGL issue happened on two computers where Daz Studio was previously installed and both running Nvidia cards. I replaced the GTX660ti with the RTX360 on the Windows 10 system and used the GTX660Ti to replace a 320 in a Windows 11 system. Both computers had the OpenGL issue. I used the replace dll work around to get the systems to launch studio again. Granted I could simply replace the OpenGL file located in the Windows folder, but I'm unsure which application put it there. May test this to see where it goes.  

edited December 2021

Tugpsx said:

nonesuch00 said:

Tugpsx said:

Got the RTX360 12G today installed in the system only to have Daz studio fail to start with an OpenGL 1.3 compatibiility errot. The work around is to place a copy of opengl32.dll in the daz studio root directory. Card works great so far big improvement over my overclocked GTX660Ti.

What version of Windows are you running? It sounds like you have manually installed software based openGL libraries or such in the past. If you did, uninstall all that.

Your best bet is to go into "Safe Mode" using the Windows generic VGA drivers and then uninstall all past video drivers installs for any nVidia GPUs you've had in the past. Then go to the nVidia website & install the latest "Studio" drivers for RTX GPUs.

The OpenGL issue happened on two computers where Daz Studio was previously installed and both running Nvidia cards. I replaced the GTX660ti with the RTX360 on the Windows 10 system and used the GTX660Ti to replace a 320 in a Windows 11 system. Both computers had the OpenGL issue. I used the replace dll work around to get the systems to launch studio again. Granted I could simply replace the OpenGL file located in the Windows folder, but I'm unsure which application put it there. May test this to see where it goes.  

Probably that's what happened to you. At the time of release of those old video cards you had it was a pretty common thing for a game or app to need a version of openGL newer than what the hardware GPU installed on the computer could support, so what the game or app manuafacturer did in some instances was emulate the needed newer version of openGL in software only and reconfigure Windows to use it by default. A big no-no as they should of setup the runtime environment of their app / game only and not changed the general Windows runtime environment.

• nonesuch00 said:

Tugpsx said:

nonesuch00 said:

Tugpsx said:

Probably that's what happened to you. At the time of release of those old video cards you had it was a pretty common thing for a game or app to need a version of openGL newer than what the hardware GPU installed on the computer could support, so what the game or app manuafacturer did in some instances was emulate the needed newer version of openGL in software only and reconfigure Windows to use it by default. A big no-no as they should of setup the runtime environment of their app / game only and not changed the general Windows runtime environment.

I would move OpenGL to another "backup" folder, then install the latest NVidia Drivers.  DAZ Studio IRAY does not use OpenGL, so you should be able to do some renders.  I just searched my computer for OpenGL.*.  Nothing was found in any of my DAZ directories.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited December 2021

nonesuch00 said:

zombiewhacker said:

For what it's worth, I've been checking Microcenter's page each morning. Twice this month they've had 3080 and 3090s in stock (in store only, no online purchases).  I realize that most people don't have a Microcenter in their city, but at least it's encouraging to know that there are brand new 80 and 90 cards for sale out there somewhere.

That is good to know. Between Microcenter and Best Buy, probably 95% of the US population have a big box computer electronics store within 100 miles of their residence. There is a Microcenter, just north of Cincinatti, Ohio, about 180 miles from my house. Best Buy, there are 6 within 150 miles of my house. When the RTX 4000 series come out I will definately check both the Microcenter & Best Buy In-Store Only Release Event procedures for the RTX 4000 Series In-Store Only Release Event that these new nVidia GPUs always seem to get.

...no Microcenters in Oregon or Washington State and the one major Big Box tech store, Frys, closed down a while back. There are a couple Best Buys but none near the city centre There used to be one at the hold Lloyd Centre Shopping centre just northeast of downtown (which is a short tram ride away) but that one closed down years ago.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

kyoto kid said:

nonesuch00 said:

zombiewhacker said:

For what it's worth, I've been checking Microcenter's page each morning. Twice this month they've had 3080 and 3090s in stock (in store only, no online purchases).  I realize that most people don't have a Microcenter in their city, but at least it's encouraging to know that there are brand new 80 and 90 cards for sale out there somewhere.

That is good to know. Between Microcenter and Best Buy, probably 95% of the US population have a big box computer electronics store within 100 miles of their residence. There is a Microcenter, just north of Cincinatti, Ohio, about 180 miles from my house. Best Buy, there are 6 within 150 miles of my house. When the RTX 4000 series come out I will definately check both the Microcenter & Best Buy In-Store Only Release Event procedures for the RTX 4000 Series In-Store Only Release Event that these new nVidia GPUs always seem to get.

...no Microcenters in Oregon or Washington State and the one major Big Box tech store, Frys, closed down a while back. There are a couple Best Buys but none near the city centre There used to be one at the hold Lloyd Centre Shopping centre just northeast of downtown (which is a short tram ride away) but that one closed down years ago.

The City Centre is well within 100 miles from you but I don't blame you for rather wanting to order online and have the card delivered delivered to you like you did. The nearest Best Buy to me actually winds up being about 72.5 miles or an 1 1/2 drive. That is definately not something I'm going to plan on wasting time and quite a big money too actually with gas at $3.00 a gallon just since January unless I get a chance to participate in an In-Store Only event where they hand out tickets and limit purchases before the store even opens. 

edited December 2021

+++++ 2021 Dec 25 - NO In-Store Only Sale 2021 Dec 26 

9 PM EST Evening Update:

(regular $000.00) 

Online or In-Store

(regular $000.00) 

Open Box

9 AM EST Morning Update:

Online or In-Store

(regular $000.00) 

Open Box

edited December 2021

nakamuram002 said:

nonesuch00 said:

Tugpsx said:

nonesuch00 said:

Tugpsx said:

I would move OpenGL to another "backup" folder, then install the latest NVidia Drivers.  DAZ Studio IRAY does not use OpenGL, so you should be able to do some renders.  I just searched my computer for OpenGL.*.  Nothing was found in any of my DAZ directories.

We will take this discussion elsewhere but to close out here is the repeatable error.  As for not finding the dll in your search. They are sometimes set as hidden files.

Openglerror.PNG
    507 x 112 - 11K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

nonesuch00 said:

The City Centre is well within 100 miles from you but I don't blame you for rather wanting to order online and have the card delivered delivered to you like you did. The nearest Best Buy to me actually winds up being about 72.5 miles or an 1 1/2 drive. That is definately not something I'm going to plan on wasting time and quite a big money too actually with gas at $3.00 a gallon just since January unless I get a chance to participate in an In-Store Only event where they hand out tickets and limit purchases before the store even opens. 

....actually I live about 10 blocks north of the central the downtown area. All we have there is a small Office Max..  Big box stores tend to be located in the outer burbs as land is cheaper and there's more space for big car parks.  As I don't drive the "in store" events are very tough to get to in order to get a good spot in line. 

edited December 2021

kyoto kid said:

nonesuch00 said:

....actually I live about 10 blocks north of the central the downtown area. All we have there is a small Office Max..  Big box stores tend to be located in the outer burbs as land is cheaper and there's more space for big car parks.  As I don't drive the "in store" events are very tough to get to in order to get a good spot in line. 

We actually had an Office Depot two miles from me but it was held afloat it's entire existance by local/state/federal government purchases and when the bans of working in government offices came, Office Depot had to quickly bankrupt the store. Even worse is that the local Social Security Administration offices haven't opened in almost two years and I know darn well there are a huge amount of people with no internet (and often no private phone serive either and many are deaf, partly deaf, aged and weekened, or have other disabilities that make anything but a personal one-on-one meeting at local offices a huge problem for them!) and that calling the SSA, as the SSA requires now, results in the majority of calls being put on hold while the caller waits an interminate time for an SSA staff that refuses to do their jobs but gets paid better than ever for their derilection of duty.

edited December 2021

+++++ 2021 Dec 26 - NO In-Store Only Sale 2021 Dec 27  

9 PM EST Evening Update:

Online or In-Store

(regular $000.00) 

Open Box

9 AM EST Morning Update:

(regular $000.00) 

Online or In-Store

(regular $000.00) 

Open Box

edited December 2021

+++++ 2021 Dec 27 - NO In-Store Only Sale 2021 Dec 28 

9 PM EST Evening Update:

Online or In-Store

(regular $000.00) 

Open Box

9 AM EST Morning Update:

(regular $000.00) 

Online or In-Store

(regular $000.00) 

Open Box

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793
    edited December 2021

I hope to get a 3090 at MSRP... eventually. 

Kind of curious how long that will take... methinks it will be when the 4090s are out.  sigh....

Post edited by Chumly on
    edited December 2021

Chumly said:

Kind of curious how long that will take... methinks it will be when the 4090s are out.  sigh....

Yes, if you have a Best Buy within 100 miles of you it's your best chance. So far in my log here with 3 days left they've have had the cheapest nVidia branded and manufactered GPU cards 3060, 3060 TI, 3070, 3080, & 3090s only once on October 1st, basically available at 1 store per metro of 100K or more (huge metros I'm sure had availability at more than one store), from store opening 9:00AM - 11:30AM when the last of those sold out (I watched their online inventory so maybe not totally accurate). Not a good way to keep customers with that sort of availabilty. Nothing says you don't need something like being unable to get it at a fair price & then getting along just fine without it.

Now they did have a far amount of open box for some weird reason for the entire month of October. For all of November and December nothing was available until a couple days before Christmas when they had a bunch of overpriced 3rd party manufactured cards but among those, if you missed it, were RTX 3070 TI for $599 (I think or close to that price) and an RTX 3080 for $619.99 (I think or close to that price).   

I'm looking forward to seeing if the RTX 4000 series will even be released in 2022. I guess I should go ahead and upgrade to a 750W or higher Gold or Platinum (if that's what they are called at the next level efficiency from Gold) Power Supply Unit before July 2022. My current one is only a SeaSonic Bronze 80+ 450W PSU but it was only $39 & on my budget it was good in a tight money situation of trying to built an entire PC on a minimal budget. Since my microATX tower is one of the shorter style that will hold only 1 video card I guess it's safe to take a 750W PSU, although I'll buy higher wattage if they have same or better efficiency rating at the same or cheap price. I want modular power cording that you only attach to the PSU internally if you need it though. 

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

Chumly said:

Crypto and now NFT's will be driving up demand, driving up prices. GPUs are becoming more valuable than vintage guitars. 

• Tugpsx said:

nakamuram002 said:

nonesuch00 said:

Tugpsx said:

nonesuch00 said:

Tugpsx said:

We will take this discussion elsewhere but to close out here is the repeatable error.  As for not finding the dll in your search. They are sometimes set as hidden files.

Thanks for reminding me.  I always change my File Explorer view settings to show extensions and hidden files and directories.   I forgot to do so on my new machine.  Searching again, I found: QtOpenGl4.dll.  I suspect that this has something to with playing Quick Time videos.  These are my settings and search results:

OpenGLSearch.jpg
    1016 x 325 - 35K
    FolderOpts.jpg
    506 x 491 - 64K
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 2021

nakamuram002 said:

Thanks for reminding me.  I always change my File Explorer view settings to show extensions and hidden files and directories.   I forgot to do so on my new machine.  Searching again, I found: QtOpenGl4.dll.  I suspect that this has something to with playing Quick Time videos.  These are my settings and search results:

QT is a development framework written in C++.

This is probably a lot more likely than being for Quick Time videos.

Link to info here.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on

nakamuram002 said:

Tugpsx said:

nakamuram002 said:

nonesuch00 said:

Tugpsx said:

nonesuch00 said:

Tugpsx said:

I'm beginning to wonder if he has his RTX 3060 video card properly seated in the pcie slot.

edited December 2021

The RTX 360 is not being used as a display card, a NVS 310 has been the display car in this system when the GTX 660Ti was installed. If i start up Studio 4.16.0.3 on the same machine, Filament works just fine. Launching Studio 4.16.1.21 which states it using the same OpenGL version and Filament is grayed out. I toggled filament pugin but same issue.

Lets take the discussion to this other thread since others may be interested in getting updates on available cards.

Check CDW some cards are in stock.

Post edited by Tugpsx on
    edited December 2021

+++++ 2021 Dec 28 - NO In-Store Only Sale 2021 Dec 29  

9 PM EST Evening Update:

Online or In-Store

(regular $000.00) 

Open Box

9 AM EST Morning Update:

(regular $000.00) 

Online or In-Store

(regular $000.00) 

Open Box

• Subtropic Pixel said:

nakamuram002 said:

Link to info here.

I wonder what uses it - Filament, 3Delight?  OpenGL would not be needed by IRay.   

edited December 2021

nakamuram002 said:

Subtropic Pixel said:

nakamuram002 said:

Link to info here.

I wonder what uses it - Filament, 3Delight?  OpenGL would not be needed by IRay.   

It is used by the generic DAZ Studio GUI and almost certainly for all the wireframe, texture shaded, cartoon shaded and most of the other non-Iray viewport draw choices. I don't think Filament would use it either as Filament preferably uses Vulkan, but Google may have decided to also allow openGL library linkage for more widespread platform accessibility, but I'm not sure on that I've never looked in the Filament documentation to be sure.

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

nunsuch00
    You have a PM....

Chumly said:

nunsuch00
    You have a PM....

Thanks! I have answered you!

edited December 2021

+++++ 2021 Dec 29 - NO In-Store Only Sale 2021 Dec 30 

9 PM EST Evening Update:

Online or In-Store

(regular $000.00) 

Open Box

9 AM EST Morning Update:

Online or In-Store

(regular $000.00) 

Open Box

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,941
    edited December 2021

Thanks for this thread, also if you want to really get updated soon from Best Buy GPU stock dropping you should sign up to and/or HotStock the site/application for your phone!

There have been drops, averaging about 3 times per month!

EDIT: Crap, they got rid of Best Buy!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
    edited December 2021

takezo_3001 said:

Thanks for this thread, also if you want to really get updated soon from Best Buy GPU stock dropping you should sign up to and/or HotStock the site/application for your phone!

There have been drops, averaging about 3 times per month!

EDIT: Crap, they got rid of Best Buy!

I signed up for HotStock but they never notified me but once in almost a year of being signed up & the one time they did it was for Best Buy, which they've dropped. 

I started this with the intent to buy an RTX 3000 series this fall but unfortunately I inherited a car that required and still requires most of my spare money so I can repair it and sell it (I'm definately not a used car salesman, I can't stand the thought of selling a set of wheels that isn't a good ride for a reasonage mileage if the buyer does things like oil changes & such, so I've been dumping hundreds into getting that car fixed). That's recalibrated my goals to learn how Best Buy operates in reguards to the high demand RTX 3000s series so that in the fall of 2022 I can buy a RTX 3000 or RTX 4000 series. A worthwhile endeavor, personally.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,941
    edited December 2021

nonesuch00 said:

I signed up for HotStock but they never notified me but once in almost a year of being signed up & the one time they did it was for Best Buy, which they've dropped. 

I started this with the intent to buy an RTX 3000 series this fall but unfortunately I inherited a car that required and still requires most of my spare money so I can repair it and sell it (I'm definately not a used car salesman, I can't stand the thought of selling a set of wheels that isn't a good ride for a reasonage mileage if the buyer does things like oil changes & such, so I've been dumping hundreds into getting that car fixed). That's recalibrated my goals to learn how Best Buy operates in reguards to the high demand RTX 3000s series so that in the fall of 2022 I can buy a RTX 3000 or RTX 4000 series. A worthwhile endeavor, personally.

I've been pretty much singing their praises ever since I got my 3090 via HotStock, but why in the hell did they get rid of Best Buy for their watch list with GPUs!?

Well at least there's also NowInStock to fall back on!

BTW, You're doing an excellent job at helping people gain a 30 series card!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
    edited December 2021

+++++ 2021 Dec 30 - NO In-Store Only Sale 2021 Dec 31 

9 PM EST Evening Update:

Online or In-Store

(regular $000.00) 

Open Box

9 AM EST Morning Update:

Online or In-Store

(regular $000.00) 

Open Box

edited December 2021

takezo_3001 said:

nonesuch00 said:

I've been pretty much singing their praises ever since I got my 3090 via HotStock, but why in the hell did they get rid of Best Buy with their watch list for GPUs!?

Well at least there's also NowInStock to fall back on!

BTW, You're doing an excellent job at helping people gain a 30 series card!

Thanks. It was you that told me about HotStock to begin with. Within a month of you telling me I got a notice about Best Buy but even though I was put in a queue with a RTX 3070 in my cart to buy something went wrong with the queue and of course I didn't get a second chance. I didn't realize it though because your changed your icon. I like it be the way, it's pretty funny.

I've been in the EVGA RTX 3000 series queue even longer, since September 2020 and haven't got a notice yet, although multiple others in the forum have gotten notices from EVGA and bought cards from them.  

Anyway, I hope a few people got their RTX 3000 series via this thread but if they didn't my other motive was so we all could see what a big box store like Best Buy's web site looked like for hot commodities like these RTX 3000 series cards and I think now 3 months later we all can see if we can get to a place like that and camp out overnight for one of their In-Store events then you can get an nVidia manufactured & branded RTX 3000 series at MSRP. We now have a record of twice daily checks at about 9:00AM & about 9:00PM at Best Buy for 3 months as it would appear to "soccer moms" Christmas shopping and not tech fanatics or scalpers, so that's sort of useful record to have.

Anyway, this exercise has my strategy for RTX 4000s set: I'm not going to beat around the bush but be ready to camp out in late August or September 2022 to buy an RTX 4090. I would have never of believed in the past a video card would be advanced enough & in demand enough to get me to do that but well here I am. I'll have to pretend I'm on fire guard duty or some other military era drudgery to get myself to stay up all night. laugh

I think the best option is Best Buy for most Americans.

The 2nd best option seems to be in put yourself in a wait queue at EVGA.

Well, I guess the best option is to have enough cash to burn to pay scalpers prices on eBay, but the only card I'd consider for that is the 3090 if it were $2200 or less.