[On SALE] Pirate Shipping Dock Houses [Commercial]

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

AnEye4Art said:

Hopefully it will not be part of another pirate bundle. 

Sigh... why did you have to say that?  Now it probably won't show up until they release the Seahorse 8.1 Centaur Pirate bundle...  ;/ 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,389

bytescapes said:

tsroemi said:

By the way, is there any specific inspiration behind this set that you'd like to share? Any historical setting that you had in mind, or maybe a painting or something? I'd love to know, but would understand of course if you don't want to share.

The wooden trusses supporting the houses remind me very much of stuff I've seen along the Thames in London, probably in Limehouse -- but I think it was a very standard way of building things at a certain time. That's part of the reason I'm so interested in this set -- for all that it might be labeled 'pirate houses', it looks a lot like standard waterfront construction that you might have seen any time between, say, the eighteenth and the early twentieth century (dates approximate: I'm no architectural historian).

So it could be pretty versatile: pirates, sure, but it would also fit in historical, steampunk, fantasy, even science-fiction scenes ...

That's exactly what's intriguing me here too, even from the few promos you can imagine all sorts of possible uses in historical and even contemporary settings. I also love how the houses themselves each look quite distinct and versatile. Oh, really can't wait for this set! 

• Cybersox said:

AnEye4Art said:

Sigh... why did you have to say that?  Now it probably won't show up until they release the Seahorse 8.1 Centaur Pirate bundle...  ;/ 

That is some funny stuff right there!!

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,810

Cybersox said:

AnEye4Art said:

Ahem. Toon Seahorse 8.1 Centaur Pirate bundle ...

• Yes, sure. Here's the one shot that inspired me, then I gathered a bunch of others too. I think your not far off on the building methods of those times. This shot might be what you are thinking of, built on the Thames, still there now and a bar called The Grapes. I just thought the 1800's photo was so cool and looked like pirate to me! And yes other historical, steampunk, etc. I really liked the non-standard contruction methods, build with what ever materials you have on hand.

GrapesThames2.gif
    650 x 515 - 300K
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

I am so pumped for this set. I check the site every day....and every day all I see is....meehhhhhh......LOL

• Beat578Beat578 Posts: 191

This looks amazing. What ship did you use in your new teaser render? 

The Management said:

Yes, sure. Here's the one shot that inspired me, then I gathered a bunch of others too. I think your not far off on the building methods of those times. This shot might be what you are thinking of, built on the Thames, still there now and a bar called The Grapes. I just thought the 1800's photo was so cool and looked like pirate to me! And yes other historical, steampunk, etc. I really liked the non-standard contruction methods, build with what ever materials you have on hand.

Cool, thanks for the reference pic! You know, your set really wouldn't look any different at all from this if rendered in old BW fashion. Seriously amazing job! Now, DAZ, PLEASE, get it out already ...! 

• AllenArt said:

I am so pumped for this set. I check the site every day....and every day all I see is....meehhhhhh......LOL

Exactly how I feel. Well said. 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,308

The Management said:

Yes, sure. Here's the one shot that inspired me, then I gathered a bunch of others too. I think your not far off on the building methods of those times. This shot might be what you are thinking of, built on the Thames, still there now and a bar called The Grapes. I just thought the 1800's photo was so cool and looked like pirate to me! And yes other historical, steampunk, etc. I really liked the non-standard contruction methods, build with what ever materials you have on hand.

I had a few drinks in the Grapes a number of years back when I lived in Limehouse. The river front looks completely different now, all very modern. I think the pub was still an old building.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,162

The Management said:

Isn't that the pub that is (or at least was) owned by Sir Ian McKellen (aka Gandalf)?

Looks like a great set, I'm looking forward to it hitting the store. 

• Yes, I believe I did read that, owned by Ian McKellen! Funny. This other photo is, I think near the same area?(same google search anyway) Looks like everthing is moderenized to a point. They must have loved the nostalgic hangmans pole so much, they couldn't part with it.

Execution dock Wapping_gibbet_1-640x532.jpg
    640 x 532 - 113K

The Management said:

Yes, I believe I did read that, owned by Ian McKellen! Funny. This other photo is, I think near the same area?(same google search anyway) Looks like everthing is moderenized to a point. They must have loved the nostalgic hangmans pole so much, they couldn't part with it.

That is wapping dock, about a 10 minute walk or so along the river. The pub you see is the Captain Kidd (which I have drank in more often the The Grapes), the infamous pirate that was hung over the Thames, and that is the reason the gallows are there. I suspect it was added when the pub was built. I would be surprised if it had already been there.

A lot of the riverside buildings along that stretch are still the original warehouses, although the interior was completely redone when they were converted into flats. Not a cheap place to live these days, you would not get much change from a million pounds for just a 1 bed flat. In Limehouse along the riverside are mostly completely new buildings, most of the originals were ripped down when the area was changed from an abandoned dockland into housing for city workers.

• PhloxPhlox Posts: 95

bytescapes said:

The wooden trusses supporting the houses remind me very much of stuff I've seen along the Thames in London, probably in Limehouse --

I thought the same - I used to live in Rotherhithe and would often walk the route from there to the South Bank along the river - the familiarity of this alone makes me want to get it. Super work, very excited to see it released soon.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,810

Havos said:

The Management said:

Yes, I believe I did read that, owned by Ian McKellen! Funny. This other photo is, I think near the same area?(same google search anyway) Looks like everthing is moderenized to a point. They must have loved the nostalgic hangmans pole so much, they couldn't part with it.

That is wapping dock, about a 10 minute walk or so along the river. The pub you see is the Captain Kidd (which I have drank in more often the The Grapes), the infamous pirate that was hung over the Thames, and that is the reason the gallows are there. I suspect it was added when the pub was built. I would be surprised if it had already been there.

A lot of the riverside buildings along that stretch are still the original warehouses, although the interior was completely redone when they were converted into flats. Not a cheap place to live these days, you would not get much change from a million pounds for just a 1 bed flat. In Limehouse along the riverside are mostly completely new buildings, most of the originals were ripped down when the area was changed from an abandoned dockland into housing for city workers.

Ha -- that's the exact area that the pirate houses reminded me of. This is my picture of Wapping Wall and of the gibbet. My recollection is that the gibbet is actually outside the "Prospect of Whitby" rather than the "Captain Kidd", although the latter would make more sense (and would be closer to the site of the original Execution Dock). Maybe there are two? In any case, I don't believe that the gibbet is an original.

"To the Execution Dock

Lay my head upon the block.

The laws no more I'll mock.

(as I sailed)

So take warning here and heed

To shun bad company

Or you'll wind up just like me

(as I sailed).

My name is Captain Kidd

(as I sailed, as I sailed)

Oh my name is Captain Kidd

(as I sailed)

My name is Captain Kidd

And God's laws I did forbid

And most wickedly I did

As I sailed ...

-- "Captain Kidd"

bytescapes said:

Havos said:

The Management said:

Ha -- that's the exact area that the pirate houses reminded me of. This is my picture of Wapping Wall and of the gibbet. My recollection is that the gibbet is actually outside the "Prospect of Whitby" rather than the "Captain Kidd", although the latter would make more sense (and would be closer to the site of the original Execution Dock). Maybe there are two? In any case, I don't believe that the gibbet is an original.

"To the Execution Dock

(as I sailed)

To shun bad company

(as I sailed).

My name is Captain Kidd

(as I sailed)

My name is Captain Kidd

And most wickedly I did

As I sailed ...

-- "Captain Kidd"

You maybe right. When I saw the gibbet I assumed it was the Captain Kidd, but I can not be certain from that angle. The Prospect of Whitby is very close, maybe half a kilometer further upstream. I have walked past it countless times, but I don't think we ever went and drank there, not sure why.

bytescapes said:

Havos said:

The Management said:

"To the Execution Dock

(as I sailed)

To shun bad company

(as I sailed).

My name is Captain Kidd

(as I sailed)

My name is Captain Kidd

And most wickedly I did

As I sailed ...

-- "Captain Kidd"

You maybe right. When I saw the gibbet I assumed it was the Captain Kidd, but I can not be certain from that angle. The Prospect of Whitby is very close, maybe half a kilometer further upstream. I have walked past it countless times, but I don't think we ever went and drank there, not sure why.

Back on the subject of this upcoming product, is there anyway of pushing up the water level significantly, like 10-15 metres or so? That way boats could be tied up to the pier, rather than waiting off shore and reaching the houses via small boats.

• Havos said:

Back on the subject of this upcoming product, is there anyway of pushing up the water level significantly, like 10-15 metres or so? That way boats could be tied up to the pier, rather than waiting off shore and reaching the houses via small boats.

Could you not use this: https://www.daz3d.com/da-big-ocean
  • Havos, I didn't test it but you can move the water to any level you like.  The dock surface is at Y 0.0 so figures can walk on it easy. Water, beach , rocks, seawall, dock are all seperate as are all the buildings.

• Tides go out and come in cheeky

its that damned moon

Daz needs to step up the release date on this one. I'm tired of logging in every day and seeing c**p on the sales page. cheeky

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,713

The Management said:

Havos, I didn't test it but you can move the water to any level you like.  The dock surface is at Y 0.0 so figures can walk on it easy. Water, beach , rocks, seawall, dock are all seperate as are all the buildings.

That's what I'm talkin' about! Good on ya for making each element a individual component. 

• AllenArt, the product is back to me for some PA corrections (my bad, there are always a few) I'll get it back to Daz after the holiday. Sorry for the delay. Hopefully soon.

The Management said:

AllenArt, the product is back to me for some PA corrections (my bad, there are always a few) I'll get it back to Daz after the holiday. Sorry for the delay. Hopefully soon.

Oh no, poor us ...! 

The Management said:

AllenArt, the product is back to me for some PA corrections (my bad, there are always a few) I'll get it back to Daz after the holiday. Sorry for the delay. Hopefully soon.

**sad face**

Oh well....s**t happens. LOL 

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

It's out, it's in the store, and in my download folder.

• Straight in mycart and bought...don't remember anything going in so fast. I feel like Christmas has come early. 

Yay, there it is, I'm so excited! It's sitting in my cart right now, will buy today or tomorrow. So cool, I thought it was gonna come wayyyy after the holidays!

Snatched! laugh