Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 12

Comments

• mach25mach25 Posts: 256
    edited November 2021

Great,I never seen cel shading in Bryce before

Hansmar great 3 landscapes

Horo nice landscape 

Mermaid nice light-blue pic,nice abstract web

Michael nice landscape , about rendering background items for ds you just touched the surface 

I like the hexagon modelling / import to Bryce, there's loads of great materials to use and loads of different ways to make renders,great productivity tools combo 

@horo thanks,it's an idea for programming forum avatar, where they differ between concrete bugs and abstract bugs, also the philosophical question if the bug is female, because there are exists ladybugs in real world laugh

Post edited by mach25 on
  • Thanks Hubert and Mach 25 for your comments.  I do like the way Bryce handle materials over other programs, the Materials Lab is a good one and materals can be alter quickly and easily.  Who know I might start importing to Bryce to do some render, I really liked the renders that were done in the current contest for Bryce.   

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited November 2021

Michael Callahan - good to see a Bryce work for use as a Studio render backdrop. I don't see what should be amiss with the mountain at right. The scene looks very nice as it is.

mach25 - thank you. Oh, in Bryce you can do cel shaded object renders. David Brinnen and myself made some tutorials a while ago.

This is an experiment. Bryce trees usually have short trunks and are difficult to use in a forest. When adding a cylinder the roots come in the way. They can be made transparent using a simple texture in channel D. Here, I used an Arbaro tree and instanced it twice. At left the original, in the centre and at right with a 40% tapered cylinder as long trunk. There are no roots but the trunk gets wide at the end. This part was made transparent. If you compare the original at left you can see at what position the tapered cylinder was added using the same material except the texture in channel D. The backdrop is from an HDRI I made a few weeks ago and shows how thin and long tree trunks can be in a forest.

Long Trunks

If you are interested in the subject, here are the steps (reading takes much longer than actually doing it):

Mat Lab

1. Select the Bryce tree. If you use an object tree (here Arbaro), select the trunk, skip step 2 below and enter the Mat Lab.
    2. For a Bryce tree open the Tree Lab, click on lowest Edit button at left (Branch/Trunk) to open the Mat Lab.
    3. Put a dot in channel D of Transparency, this creates a random texture.
    4. Open the Material Options (on top) and enable Blend Transparency.
    5. Open the DTE from the random texture in channel D.

DTE

1. Keep only component 1, set the colours as shown (white/black/black).
    2. Set the Color Mode to None, also for combination.
    3. Enable only [A]mbient (no [C]olor, no [B]ump).
    4. Open the Noise Dialog.
    5. Click on Reset (white arrows), all settings are now as shown (red arrows).
    6. Open the Filter Dialog.
    7. Set the values as shown (red arrows). Note: a and b are a bit difficult to adjust. Go as near as you can, release the left mouse button then press it again and adjust, repeat.
    8. Accept to get back to the Mat Lab.

A. Set the Texture Mapping Mode to Object Space.
    B. Open Edit Textures and set X/Y/Z each to 100% (top).
    C. Set Y (bottom) to 75BU for Bryce trees (here 55.5 for the Arboro tree shown above). Note: increasing Y narrows the transparent range, decreasing enlarges it.
    D. Exit the Mat Lab.

- Create a Funnel / Cylinder Tapered (Objects > Installed > Additional Primitives) and give it the same material as used for the trunk, except channel D.
    - Adjust Size X and Z so that the upper part matches the size of the trunk (can be a bit fiddly).
    - Adjust Size Y to get the desired length, then move tree and cylinder so that the cylinder joins the still visible trunk.

LongTrunks.jpg
    1200 x 1050 - 327K
    MatLab.jpg
    638 x 506 - 75K
    DTE.jpg
    630 x 470 - 49K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited November 2021

Horo said:

This is an experiment. Bryce trees usually have short trunks and are difficult to use in a forest. When adding a cylinder the roots come in the way. They can be made transparent using a simple texture in channel D. Here, I used an Arbaro tree and instanced it twice. At left the original, in the centre and at right with a 40% tapered cylinder as long trunk. There are no roots but the trunk gets wide at the end. This part was made transparent. If you compare the original at left you can see at what position the tapered cylinder was added using the same material except the texture in channel D. The backdrop is from an HDRI I made a few weeks ago and shows how thin and long tree trunks can be in a forest.

Hi Horo. Yes, I remember our exercises with invisible roots and part of the trunk here on the forum. I used 

a tapered cylinder instead of a trunk in Bryce 5, but now this is not necessary.
    However, I must note that there are trees with long trunks in Arbaro and in Bryce.
    Here are my exercises with Arbaro:

Here is my old work with Bryce trees from 2014:
    http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=5542

My_tupelo.jpg
    800 x 600 - 138K
    Post edited by Slepalex on

Slepalex - yes indeed, I remember your efforts (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/37229/P15 does not work anymore). You used a different texture (Noise Distance Origin, Frequency 8/8/8 and Direction XY 90; the texture size in the Mat Lab 20% and offset around 14 BU). And yes, there are some Bryce, Arbaro and Xfrog trees with a long trunk. Removing the roots and adding a high trunk gives you the choice to use other trees and modify them.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited November 2021

Adbc - thanks for the comment

Mach25 - very nice bugs I like the abstract one too very nice material, thanks for your comment

Horo - thanks for the comment - nice experiment with trees, thanks for sharing the method involved.

Michael Callahan -welcome to the forum,  very nice "Silent Valley" hope to see more of your Bryce work.

Hubert - thanks for the comment

Slepalex - nice examples too, I love the "Boat Ride" awesome render

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,076

mach25 : great bugs.

Michael Callahan : Awesome landscape.

Horo : cool experiment with the trees, thanks for explaining how to do it.

Slepalex : beautiful examples, your work at bryce5 is awesome.

Thank you mermaid and adbc.
    Slepalex has a great range of beautiful Bryce renders. Click on the link he posted above. Below the image and text shown click on slepalex, then Display all images added by sleplex.

thanks for showing tutorial Horo

thanks horo,adbc,mermaid,hubert

well you can render statues with figures in medusa scene,frozen people in Icequeen scene,by set right material

I also tested to export lightmap to poser earlier,together with background render+matching background lightning

edited November 2021

The objects left and right are by Steven Ray, the cogwheel by David Brinnen and the spiral comes with Bryce. The materials are self assembled. The objects stand on a fading disk and everything is within a cone with some transparency and a pattern from Stylised Rendering. The negative specularity by the self made Burns HDRI, the positive specularity by the sun.

Some Objects

And here the anaglyph.

Some Objects Anaglyph

SomeObjects.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 276K
    SomeObjectsAna.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 319K
    Post edited by Horo on

Superb setup and render, Horo  nice material and lighitng, the anaglyph is awesome.

• huberthubert Posts: 410
    edited November 2021

Slepalex: Your works in the bryce5 gallery are amazing! Wonderful landscapes and still lifes.

Horo: A cool mechanical "still life". I like your lighting very much.

Thanks for your "tree trunk tutorial". --- It inspired me to play with transparent mats which use a gradient (derived from the Byce4 "Basic Altitude" mat). I applied it to several cubes inside a big Shiny Spere and got a nice looking translucent effect and soft color blending. To add a bit of complexity, I created colored "outlines" for these cubes (by boolean fiddling).

Here is an according preview:
    preview

I just love Bryce for all this fun! :)

Post edited by hubert on

Wow Hubert fantastic abstract, I love the colors and shapes, outstanding work.

mermaid - thank you.

hubert - thank you. Excellent abstract. Continue to love Bryce but don't leave it.devil

Horo greatyes

reminds me of Time's clockwork in Alice

edited November 2021

mermaid, Horo: Thanks! :)

Here is another variant of this "cube-with-transparency-gradient-and-outlines-inside-a-shiny-sphere" set up. This time not rendered as a panorama.

preview

You can download the corresponding Bryce4 workfile from my server. (Workfile tested successfully also in Bryce versions 5, 6 and 7.)
    http://hubert-schaefer.com/hubert/bryce4/Hubism-sample__ABS18-2021-11-10-0930.zip

PS: Apologies for my crude object names. This workfile was not designed as a tutorial. Just dissect and tweak it as you like. ;)

Some useful workflow hints to increase the HPM (Hubisms per Minute) rate:
    - Use CTRL key and left mouse button to select the "Big Sphere" or single objects that are part of a Group.
    - Use SHIFT and CTRL keys together and the left mouse button to add/remove another object to/from your existing selection.
    - Or select my "colored" inner cubes directly by their "family color".
    - Toggle with Numpad keys "2", "3" and "4" between the orthogonal wireframe views and use Numpad "+" resp. "-" to zoom in/out to the selected object(s).
    - Toggle the wireframe view back to the "Camera View" (in which I did render this image) with Numpad key "1".

- In the "Edit" palette:
    -- Toggle the "Edit" palette to "Object Space" (via the little drop down triangle at the "Resize/Rotate"Reposition" tool). This avoids skewing a rotated object when resizing it in "World" or "Camera Space".
    -- Use SHIFT key with the "Rotation tool" to turn a selected object by 45degree steps.
    -- Use ALT key with the "Resize tool" to resize the selected object symetrically in both directions along the selected axis.

Enjoy it.... and have much fun while playing with Bryce in unusual "surbrycing" ways.  :)

Post edited by hubert on
    edited November 2021

Horo : amazing render and anaglyph.

hubert : your abstracts are absolutely beautful. Thanks for the workfile.

A simple abstract : a few tori,spheres, a plane and a HDRI sky.

abstract 9.jpg
    600 x 600 - 84K
    Post edited by adbc on

mach25 - thank you.

hubert - looks great, really and thanks for the file.

adbc - thank you. Looks like intertwined golden hearts, beautifully done.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750

Adbc, Horo, Hubert, mermaid, mach25: Thank you.

Mermaid: Very nice landscapes. The swans look like swan-boats to me. Great abstract too with lots to see.

Horo: as always very good landscape renders. But I really love your cogwheel still live render.

Slepalex: Good to show those trees and wonderful works in the Bryce5 website.

Adbc: wonderful colours in your abstract. It looks like a Siamese twin bees to me.

Mach25: nice bugs. Somehow I prefer the concrete one!

Michael Callahan: Lovely terrain work under a beautiful sky.

adbc: A nice piece of jewellery.

mermaid, Horo, adbc: Thanks. --- I am always glad to share some of my workfiles. A small compensation for all the inspiration which I find here. ;)

Horo, Hansmar, hubert : thank you.

Hubert - another superb render, thanks for the file.

Adbc - wow lovely abstracts, love the hearts.

Hansmar - thanks

mermaid : thank you.

thanks Hansmar

adbc greatyes

there are many english expressions ,like "not for the faint of heart","young at heart"

this should be "jewel at heart"laugh

edited November 2021

CEL Shading and Drawing Effects combined. The terrain is from the Crater Construction Kit (author unknown) rendered several times, except for TIFF4816 (free on my website under Documents) to convert a render into a terrain, everything was done in Bryce. First CEL (Contour Enhanced Lines) Shading after Stylised Rendering and then after Drawing Effects - Specular Method (PDF on my website under Documents), finally all renders in the Materials Lab combined.

Drawn Scene

DrawnScene.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 233K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750

Very nice drawing like render, Horo!

Very nice Horo,looks like it's in mint condition laugh

edited November 2021

Cool drawing effect render Horo.

A pastel abstract using the “all things” object from the last file Hubert shared with us, (Thanks Hubert,) a semi-transparent sphere with a pattern, lit by the Alien Room Hdri.

pastel-abstract.jpg
    650 x 650 - 238K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on

Thank you Hansmar and mach25.

mermaid - thank you. That abstract came out very nice.

Horo : awesome drawing, sky and terrain are in perfect harmony.

mermaid : wow, great abstract, I love the colours.

This discussion has been closed.