Torus primitive?

JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Could have sworn I saw a Torus primitive somewhere for use in Carrara, but I don't see it in my dropdown. Did I dream this up, or is there a torus somewhere for use in Carrara?

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Insert a formula object and paste the following into the box and use parse

d=3;e=1;
    p=2*PI*(u-0.5);
    q=2*PI*(v-0.5);
    x=(d+e*cos(q))*cos(p);
    y=(d+e*cos(q))*sin(p);
    z=e*sin(q);

Play with the parameters for adjustments.

That is from "that French site." Can track down the website for you

torus.JPG
    1322 x 764 - 124K
    edited December 1969

Note - you can also insert a spline object, draw a circle, center, choose the torus preset, then convert to a vertex object and untriangulate the mesh.

I realize the formula modeler can cause the heebeegeebees. ;-)

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Thanks Diomede! I did find the French site on a previous search but missed any description of a torus

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Could have sworn I saw a Torus primitive somewhere for use in Carrara, but I don't see it in my dropdown. Did I dream this up, or is there a torus somewhere for use in Carrara?

Not a primitive. A Spline model preset.

Drag the spline model icon (wineglass) into your scene and the spline modeler will open.

Choose the front isometric view, then a shape, or use the pen tool to draw one.

It's a good idea to center the shape. Go to Sections--> Center.

Now, to create the torus, select Geometry--> Extrusion Preset--> Torus.

A little window will open asking you the diameter you want the torus. In my medium scaled scene it is .29 ft. A larger value will mean a larger diameter ring.

That's it. You're done! If the torus is rough looking, you can use the spline modeler's version of smoothing. Go to Geometry--> Surface Fidelity. A window will open where you can enter a value. It defaults to 100%, but you can set it as high as 300% or 400%.

If you wish to convert it to a vertex model, in the Assembly room select Edit--> Convert to Other Modeler. When the window opens, select Vertex Modeler. I would leave the quality slider where it is. I used a surface fidelity of 300% and left the model conversion at 100%.

Open the model in the VM and you will see triangles. This one isn't bad. If you un-triangulate the model, Carrara does a pretty decent job.

Picture_5.png
    680 x 682 - 121K
    Picture_4.png
    590 x 602 - 12K
    Picture_3.png
    226 x 221 - 20K
    Picture_2.png
    611 x 566 - 13K
    Picture_1.png
    229 x 196 - 15K
    edited December 1969

Some more screen caps!

Picture_10.png
    415 x 356 - 62K
    Picture_9.png
    158 x 181 - 16K
    Picture_8.png
    612 x 566 - 151K
    Picture_7.png
    235 x 190 - 14K
    Picture_6.png
    254 x 181 - 21K
    edited March 2015

And yet some more. It really is very easy, just a few clicks, but I want to be detailed with the process.

Picture_12.png
    711 x 759 - 376K
    Picture_11.png
    738 x 768 - 302K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

d=3;e=1;
    p=2*PI*(u-0.5);
    q=2*PI*(v-0.5);
    x=(d+e*cos(q))*cos(p);
    y=(d+e*cos(q))*sin(p);
    z=e*sin(q);

Blah, blah, math! ;-P

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

can animate formulas too

torusthing.gif
    720 x 405 - 7M
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

d=3;e=1;
    p=2*PI*(u-0.5);
    q=2*PI*(v-0.5);
    x=(d+e*cos(q))*cos(p);
    y=(d+e*cos(q))*sin(p);
    z=e*sin(q);

Here is the website that has links to a lot of formula objects and formula shaders.

http://gianp.free.fr/carrara/indexcarrara.html

The helix comes up a lot as well.

edited December 1969

can animate formulas too

Way cool Wendy. Of course, it won't look like that, but you can also keyframe the curves and such in the spline modeler as well.

This waving grass is a spline object, and the animation was done in the modeler:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8puXTRXt7Y

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited March 2015

I think we have Fenric to t hank , it just appeared one day when I was having lunch ;)

Untitled-1.jpg
    934 x 934 - 68K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

In Hex I just add a circular spline (from Center or whatever), then add thickness. Makes sense...

In Carrara, I have no clue what to do. Nothing makes sense.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    I think we have Fenric to t hank , it just appeared one day when I was having lunch ;)

What plugin is that Andrew? I take it from your post that Fenric made it?

edited March 2015

hya he has a freebie that inserts 4 primitives http://fenric.com/wordpress/downloads/ not sure what they are as they are a surprise , I dont have the torus in car 8.5 only 8.1 and I see I have downloaded his plugin , so I am giuessing it is his ;) I'll send you a pm with the link as well as I think you cant link to his site because it will interfere with the evil Daz empire taking over the univers..... ... ah someone's knocking at my front doo.......................

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    hya he has a freebie that inserts 4 primitives http://fenric.com/wordpress/downloads/ not sure what they are as they are a surprise , I dont have the torus in car 8.5 only 8.1 and I see I have downloaded his plugin , so I am giuessing it is his ;) I'll send you a pm with the link as well as I think you cant link to his site because it will interfere with the evil Daz empire taking over the univers..... ... ah someone's knocking at my front doo.......................

I have that plugin, but that isn't it.

Picture_2.png
    848 x 516 - 41K
    Picture_1.png
    413 x 625 - 83K
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

I have that plugin, but that isn't it.

sorry, do you have architools? it seemed to appear at about the same time.?

edited December 1969

I've got architools, but not what you're showing. I was thinking it was the Fenric plugin, but I've got that too, and like Evil said there's not a torus included.

Diomede's formula works fine, and I'm sure Evil's method work work fine too, but I'm curious where I might have seen that plugin, it looks like from your screenshot it does exist, just can't remember where I saw it. Maybe it's one of DCG or Inagoni's?

edited December 1969

Actually, looks like the formula version won't work for what I wanted, which is to try to use it as a low poly primitive to grab dynamic hair into a ponytail holder, or at least not easily. I thought the formula object would convert to a vertex object, but doesn't look like it does at all, and the hair sims find the formula object very complex for calculations, slows the sim too much.

Trying Evil's method from the spline modeler next, I'm pretty sure I can make that low poly enough to work fine, but will test to be sure.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Actually, looks like the formula version won't work for what I wanted, which is to try to use it as a low poly primitive to grab dynamic hair into a ponytail holder, or at least not easily. I thought the formula object would convert to a vertex object, but doesn't look like it does at all, and the hair sims find the formula object very complex for calculations, slows the sim too much.

Trying Evil's method from the spline modeler next, I'm pretty sure I can make that low poly enough to work fine, but will test to be sure.

Just keep the geometric fidelity at 100% or lower in the spline modeler. Keep it at the defaults when you convert to a vertex object and you should be good.

edited December 1969

I know where to change geometric fidelity in the scene physics tab in the assembly room, but I didn't know there was any place to change geometric fidelity in the spline modeler. I created a torus and changed it into a vertex object prior to even knowing or looking for this. Will it still work ok or should I start over, and if so where do I find geometric fidelity in the spline room?

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    I know where to change geometric fidelity in the scene physics tab in the assembly room, but I didn't know there was any place to change geometric fidelity in the spline modeler. I created a torus and changed it into a vertex object prior to even knowing or looking for this. Will it still work ok or should I start over, and if so where do I find geometric fidelity in the spline room?

It's in the spline modeler. refer to my screen shots from earlier.

You shouldn't need to start over. If the model.s resolution is too hight, you could just decimate it in the VM.

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited March 2015

You can easily do a torus in the vertex modeler.

Insert an oval, set its definition with + and -
    deselect the oval, use the cut tool on its center to make an oval outline....this is your profile
    insert a line to define where the center of the circle is......this is your axis

select the profile and axis
    click on the lathe tool (cup shape)..........everything turns gray
    select the axis edge and a torus will be created around the axis
    Use the + and - to set the desired definition.

Torus2.jpg
    648 x 613 - 43K
    Torus1.jpg
    382 x 289 - 14K
    Post edited by McGuiver on
    edited December 1969

McGuiver said:

deselect the oval, use the cut tool on its center to make an oval outline....this is your profile
    insert a line to define where the center of the circle is......this is your axis

So the further away the line is from the oval is the diameter of the torus?

edited December 1969

McGuiver said:

Just tried it. Wow! Thanks for pointing that out. Super simple! I like the spline modeler, but if I need a vertex torus, this would be my preferred method!

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

evilproducer,
    Yes....although it looks like trying it out answered your question for ya.:)

I don't bother with the spline modeler anymore, since everything in Carrara seems to revolve around the vertex modeler.

It also seems easier for me.

Just playin' now.

Tire.jpg
    674 x 700 - 56K
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

Another option is to grab a torus from the objects browser (see attached)

torus.JPG
    1084 x 196 - 47K
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:

True, but the few times I've thought to do that I've pulled my hair out because it gives you two choices, and that's all you get. Thick or thin. And then I have to figure out if there's an easy way to modify them. Arggghh...

That's why I gave up and just use Hex. Draw a circle the size you want, add thickness as much as you want, and you're done.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited December 1969

Sweet(s)

donuts.jpg
    640 x 480 - 95K
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:

True, but the few times I've thought to do that I've pulled my hair out because it gives you two choices, and that's all you get. Thick or thin. And then I have to figure out if there's an easy way to modify them. Arggghh...

That's why I gave up and just use Hex. Draw a circle the size you want, add thickness as much as you want, and you're done.

Must have missed this post. Sounds pretty easy to me.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53634/P15/#777081

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Another simple method - draw a circle on the back grid, then a larger one on the left grid and do a path sweep :)

torus.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 220K