Torus primitive?

2»

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744
    edited December 1969

Another example of Hexagon being a fast efficient modeller, building stuff in less steps. draw circle line, add thickness, torus created.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited March 2015

Not a primitive. A Spline model preset.

When creating a spline object > torus preset, the torus created is not round. Attached is pic showing "Torus 2" object from browser, more square than round, certainly the hole.

I did report that bug to old forum and the then available bug_tracker. The bug was not fixed in C8. Was it fixed in 8.5?

Car_torus.jpg
    488 x 488 - 16K
    Post edited by stem_athome on
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Must have missed this post. Sounds pretty easy to me.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53634/P15/#777081

Maybe you're right, but when I read it I saw a bunch of steps that I didn't really understand so I kind of dismissed it. Maybe it's my loss, but I tend to do most modelling either in Hex or something that isn't Carrara. Doubt I'll ever change that. But again, maybe my loss...

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited March 2015

One reason to use the formula modeler is that it is very easy to edit and animate, as Wendy demonstrated. Here I merely altered the formula by adding p1 to diameter and p2 to thickness. The four toruses are examples of what happens when changing the values of p1 and p2 using the sliders. In the extreme (lower right), the torus will appear as a ball. The other three illustrate toruses of different diameters and thicknesses.

If you want a simple torus that is easy to edit, save the following formula model to your browser. It is much easier than importing something from Hex (or any other modeling program) or converting a spline model, or lathing. And yes, if you want to edit it further, you can convert it to a vertex model, and you can adjust the surface fidelity when doing so if you are worried about the number of polygons.

d=1+p1;e=1+p2;
    p=2*PI*(u-0.5);
    q=2*PI*(v-0.5);
    x=(d+e*cos(q))*cos(p);
    y=(d+e*cos(q))*sin(p);
    z=e*sin(q);

Edit: Just drag the saved torus formula model to your scene and use the sliders p1 and p2 to alter its shape.

torus_4_versions.JPG
    1001 x 707 - 80K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Thanks rk66

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited March 2015

@diomede

A few years ago we were playing around with the formulas from that website and having some fun. IIRC, all we had to do was do the "Insert formula", delete the default one and copy/paste a different one into that space, then play around with the parameters. Tried doing this a few weeks ago and again now, but no go. It won't paste a copied formula.

How do you mean to save the formula to the browser - as you published it, or the resulting model?

Edit: I have just typed in the formula you show above, checked and double-checked that it is exactly correct and all I get is a small flat plane:)

I've not done any coding sine the old Sinclair ZX81, so am totally at sea here - simply doing monkey see, monkey do:)

Post edited by Roygee on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Roy, I use sometimes the formulas for the vertexes but especially to create textures.
    In Carrara (with a PC), the Copy/paste with the mouse doesn't work, you must initially delete the default formula and CTRL/V to load the formula copied from the site page.

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    @diomede

A few years ago we were playing around with the formulas from that website and having some fun. IIRC, all we had to do was do the "Insert formula", delete the default one and copy/paste a different one into that space, then play around with the parameters. Tried doing this a few weeks ago and again now, but no go. It won't paste a copied formula.

How do you mean to save the formula to the browser - as you published it, or the resulting model?

Edit: I have just typed in the formula you show above, checked and double-checked that it is exactly correct and all I get is a small flat plane:)

I've not done any coding sine the old Sinclair ZX81, so am totally at sea here - simply doing monkey see, monkey do:)

Sorry, Roy. I just highlighted the post above, right clicked to copy, then opened Carrara, inserted a formula, and right clicked to paste the formula in the box (after backspacing the default out). Worked fine. Not sure why it doesn't work for you.

Windows 8, internet explorer, Carrara 8.5.

Just don't include the Daz hair cap. ;-)

wip_wip_formula.JPG
    1184 x 810 - 120K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

You do have the click on the 'parse' button to make the formula you inserted take effect.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    You do have the click on the 'parse' button to make the formula you inserted take effect.

Yes!

edited December 1969

Thanks, guys - Ctrl-c/Ctrl-v worked:) Good for some fun, but not much use in modelling - poly count is way too high and lowering the fidelity doesn't do it much good.

While messing about, I found a torus, as well as spring and capsule under the "Insert" dropdown.

By the way, did you know that Hex can export a .car file, which you can save directly to the browser without ever opening Carrara?

Bet I could design a torus, UV map it and save to the browser faster than you could type a formula:)

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    By the way, did you know that Hex can export a .car file, which you can save directly to the browser without ever opening Carrara?

Bet I could design a torus, UV map it and save to the browser faster than you could type a formula:)

That's my standard practice...model in Hex, export via .CAR...

But you shouldn't mention that here cuz some people get a li'l cranky if you don't do everything in Carrara. It's like cheating or something.. :) :) :) :)

Just joking....nothing serious...just a little teasing...no need for anyone to take it personally...it's cool....no problem... :) :) :) :)

edited December 1969

Since the formula is already typed and saved, will take that bet. ;-)

edited December 1969

Nope, you have to start from scratch - don't forget the UV mapping part :)

edited December 1969

Why are we uvmapping? Just because projection mapping doesn't work for everything, doesn't mean it doesn't work for a lot of things.

Having said that, if you are rendering in another program, Hex is superior. Hex is superior. Hex is superior.
    Or, if you have a good reason to uvmap (other than habit), other programs (including Hex) are superior. Repeat. Repeat.

But no. If you just want a torus with a logo on the side (one example of many possible toruses), a formula model with projection mapping can be faster and more efficient than Hex modeling, uvmapping in another program, etc.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Having said that, if you are rendering in another program, Hex is superior. Hex is superior. Hex is superior.
    Or, if you have a good reason to uvmap (other than habit), other programs (including Hex) are superior. Repeat. Repeat.

SSHHHHH !!!!! Not so LOUD !!! I think Evil is probably still awake, and you might get him all upset and ruin his sleep !!! :) :) :) :)

Just joking again...nothing serious...no need to take it personally...just good natured ribbing... :) :) :)

edited December 1969

In the same spirit, shhhhh regarding

a formula model with projection mapping can be faster and more efficient than Hex modeling,
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

SSHHHHH !!!!! Not so LOUD !!! I think Evil is probably still awake, and you might get him all upset and ruin his sleep !!! :) :) :) :)

Just joking again...nothing serious...no need to take it personally...just good natured ribbing... :) :) :)

There's a lot you say that can piss a person off, this discussion is not one of them. ;-) <--- Kidding!</p>

I just pointed out that post because it sounded very similar to what you described in HEX, so I didn't know if you were aware of it. I know I wasn't.

And diomede, I will convert you the Spline modeler! The dark side awaits.

Now, I just need to model a torus with metaballs so this thread touches on all the techniques. ;-P

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Okay, this only took multiple metaballs and ten minutes to do, but I have a beautiful torus! :roll:

Picture_4.png
    759 x 560 - 168K
    Picture_3.png
    684 x 585 - 88K
    Picture_2.png
    749 x 657 - 71K
    Picture_1.png
    794 x 711 - 184K
    edited March 2015

There is no *right* answer here....it's up to the individual to decide what works best for him. As long as you know the options, then different people find different methods easier.

Personally, the formula model is in the category of "no way I'm gonna even consider using that", for a number of reasons. For one, it's not intuitive for me. And when I try the same method in 6 months, guaranteed I'll scratch my head and spend 20 minutes trying to figure out waht that formula thing was....

But different people find different things intuitive. Same goes for the Carrara modeller. It just doesn't make sense to me. And I've spent many hours trying to get the Carrara formulas/expressions working, mostly for animations, and in general I find them fairly useless and confusing, especially compared to what most apps have for expressions.

So, for something most people might use only a few times in their lives, IMO it really doesn't matter what you do, as long is it works for you.

EDIT: Well, except for Meatballs...they're just wrong for everything... :) :) :) :)

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited December 1969

Just out of pure curiosity - is it possible to learn the formula thing so that one could, totally from scratch, make, say a mushroom shape?

What language/protocol/syntax, or whatever is used?

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Hi Roy !
    There are some sites (French) but you can start with Territan here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/458739/

edited December 1969

Thanks, Dudu. Helpful thread.

This is not quite a mushroom, but should be enough to demonstrate that it is possible. Here is a slight alteration of one of the examples from "that French site."

a=8;
    p=2*PI*u;
    q=p1+PI*v;
    xs=cos(p)*sin(q);
    ys=sin(p)*sin(q);
    zs=cos(q);
    x=a*ys*zs;
    y=a*zs*xs;
    z=a*(xs*xs+ys*ys-zs);

After parse, move the p1 slider to negative and watch the top deform. Move the p1 slider to positive and watch the bottom deform.

Like several others, I am still waiting for the cookbook. I only dabble in this topic once every 6 months or so, and as a result generally don't retain much of what I learn. It is a shame. Here are a couple of links that helped me a little bit. This first one is frustrating because many of the links in the references are dead.
    http://www.math.utah.edu/~treiberg/Perspect/Perspect.htm

This second is mostly about writing computer code for a formula modeler, but as part of that has a lot of good information and resources in the links along the left menu.
    http://www.geometrictools.com/index.html

BTW, you can use the 3D paint tool on formula objects.

edited December 1969

And diomede, I will convert you the Spline modeler! The dark side awaits.

Now, I just need to model a torus with metaballs so this thread touches on all the techniques. ;-P

You already sold me on the spline modeler for many things, especially if projection mapping can be used. I'm just not very good at splines yet. Yet!

edited December 1969

Thank you - this is all way above my pay grade. I knew I should have paid more attention in school, but don't recall that sort of maths from 50 + years ago:)

But then, I hardly recall what happened yesterday!

This is all very fascinating and definitely not do-able in Hex - not in this form, anyway.

I'll just stick to the monkey see, monkey do and try to find a useful purpose for it :)

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 549
    edited December 1969

Okay, this only took multiple metaballs and ten minutes to do, but I have a beautiful torus

That is not a torus!!!!! that is a doughnut that has been spending it's time in Bruce Willis pocket while they made Die Hard 4....

• YofielYofiel Posts: 204
    edited October 2015

Thank you for this helpful thread. What I find is projection mapping does not work properly on spline objects, but flat mapping can priovide proper result;and also with spline objects, displacement does not work. On the other hand, bumpmaps work with flat mapping, but not with projection mapping.  

Here are results with projection mapping and angled displacement via projection mapping, top to bottom  spline, vertex, and formula. A projection map changed the angle and translation of a wire shader in the diffusion chanel, and the same tree was set in the diusplacement channel with 2x subdivision and smoothing  

Displacement does work on formula, but not with subdivision, so its more spotty. But if you dont want subdivision, the equation gives better results than the vertex model. Confusing enough yet? 

torus shade5.PNG
    502 x 551 - 259K
    Post edited by Yofiel on
  • There is a simple trick to avoid square looking spline torusses. Don't stick with the standard settings, just add some points to the sweep path and: voila!

spline torus.jpg
    1200 x 643 - 138K

Thanks, good tip.