BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►Spring Edition◄◄◄ Theme is Ψ¦¦¦¦¦¦Ψ SCIENCE FICTION Ψ¦¦¦¦¦¦

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited December 1969

@orbital: Great work!

Now, here is my final version of entry number 2, using the rays from Frozencry (see the link in Horo's message). There is a little postwork, via tonemapping in Picturenaut.

Name (still): The dawn of man, alternative scene.

the_beach3a.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 770K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,541
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - very nice and colourful.

@Art - oh I like the idea with Stonehenge. The "marsian" looks great. The huge column in the centre is the sun.

@orbital - beautiful Sci-fi scene.

@hansmar - hey, now I haven't anything to complain about. Oh, yes - how about giving the ape in the foreground some red pants? :lol:

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the kind words, hansmar and Horo! There are so many great entries, it's times like this I'm glad I'm not in the judging pool!

Here's my second entry, titled "You Had One Job...." or "We Have a Cleanup on Level 19!" Poor little robot. That promotion at work was within reach until everything kinda fell apart. ;-)

DAZ-shop products: Level 19 & C.I.M.A.U.
    The transporter is one I made in Wings fashioned after this model Hover Transport
    Various shapes modeled in Wings 3D and all Bryce rendered with no postwork.

Level19.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 742K
  • Bonito LilBonito Lil Posts: 72
    edited December 1969

I've spent two weeks on a submission. Now that I'm finished and looked at it, and looked at all these brilliant entries, I've realized that mine just isn't right for the theme, even though it comes from a well-known science fiction / fantasy series, because there's no hardware, no planets, no space...

I guess I'll save it for my eventual gallery. /*sulks */ ;-)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,392
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the nice comments. More beautiful inspiring work from everyone, really awesome.

Asterlil-You should post your render. Sci fic does not necessarily means space, planets and the like. I’m working on my last one for a while now and hope to get it done before the end of the month.

edited December 1969

@mermaid, thanks but it seems too tangential to the theme of this challenge. I've never posted to show-us-your-renders, so maybe I'll put it there.

@fencepost, I love the authentic grunge in your scene. It reminds me of the ship in the movie Alien; I think that was the first movie to depict a space ship as something other than pristine!

• vosvos Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

Great creative sci-fi scenes,images in this thread.
    My first one

Alliance Meeting
    Free stuff from the net,
    multireps selfmade
    knotplot objects selfmade
    green alien poser5

bryce_sifi_2015.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 202K
  • mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

@mermaid... Weird Planet is very interesting and fun to look at... It is weird!
    @fencepost...When aliens Relax is very clever... And why not?...We all have to come down from the daily grind. And "you Had One Job" made me laugh... It reminded me of Galaxy Quest.. Funny
    @orbital... Very Nice Image...
    @hansmar... nice improvement in the rays
    @asterlil... Now, I really want to see what you have been working on. I think the "science fiction" theme can take you nearly anywhere... It isn't just space and such... all creations in one's mind could be "science" fiction when it is only thought to be "fiction"...
    @vos... Great image...love the atmosphere...

Okay thanks to hansmar's critique of my second submission, I did a rework of the nuclear blast and used a bit of displacement for the spider texture... and I only crashed Bryce once... One of my friends also did a critique of the first and said the large yellow nuclear blast looked more like a yellow glass bong. That wasn't my intent so I think the redo is better...

The_Effects_of_Nuclear_Testing_improved.jpg
    960 x 720 - 684K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Uh, oh: I forgot about the nudity rules. Hope our administrators do not notice the great bare butt! ;-P

@asterlil: I agree with mermaid. Please post. Did you see any robot, spaceship or other clearly sci-fi related item in my second submission? If it is from a well-known sci-fi series, the judges should be able to somehow recognize it. Of course, if it is from some fantasy, it is out of place (in my POV).

@vos: Nice work! I really like the strange creatures and the colours too.

@mtnmen: thanks. And I like this version of your render better too. The explosion still indicates what happens, but the focus is on the giant spider (or is it a small play house http://www.daz3d.com/forums/smileys/#?)

Keep up the good work, people!

edited December 1969

Thanks to you guys for your encouragement and support. :coolsmile:

My second entry is from Discworld and is titled GOOD MORNING.

discworld.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 487K
  • mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

@asterlil... A great image!... So glad you entered it... In my mind your image has transported me to another time here on Planet Earth or maybe another planet...perhaps to another dimension where these characters naturally exist and live within that beautifully wooded area... that was lighted wonderfully. I really like the image a lot.

edited December 1969

@Art - great render. I think the lighting is a bit flat and not much shadows, if any.

@vos - great scene, very strange place, out of the ordinary. Great idea.

@asterlil - good to see your work here in the challenge.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

this is why i love entering in these competitions :) ...so many great renders, great job everyone :)

edited December 1969

Catcing up with my critiques, here --

@yellow pen, I like your poker players; the human has a natural-looking pose. Your third entry is almost an abstract!

@Lord Ganthor, your image tells an open-ended story. The boy seems curiously composed for someone in his situation!

@Sean, I didn't know you could ride centipedes side-saddle. ;-)

@hansmar, I feel your pain about the simian backside.Technically speaking, my goblin should have had a baggy-trouser butt, not a deep, er, declivity.

@adbc, that's a nice futurescape. You've suggested an infinity of detail.

@fencepost52, what have you done with Wiltshire?? Seriously, that's a very imaginative entry.

@orbital, great use of cloud atmospherics in the image with all the planets.

@vos, Alliance Meeting is a good composition. It reminds me of Salvador Dali.

@mtnmen, I agree that the second nuclear blast looks much more realistic. I don't live all that far from Trinity and I know some old ranchers who saw the first blast!

And thank you for your response to Discworld. It must be that subsonic sunlight... :-D You know, I re-read his first book, Color of Magic, as I was creating that image, and it's easy to overlook how much "hard" science fiction he included -- a space ship, time travel, and of course other planets. I would have depicted The Great A'tuan if I had the resources and enough chops with the DTE.

@tim, I'm really coming to appreciate these competitions as well. They are curiously, well, uncompetitive in that everyone actually helps each other to improve their work!

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 : I like the bright colours in your 2nd entry
    @fencepost : your 1st entry is very original and the 2nd one is a different but great version of the theme
    @orbital : so nice
    @vos : mysterious green atmosphere !
    @mtnmen : the redo is indeed better
    @asterlil : thanks for your comment
    Great wood scene in your 2nd entry

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

Well, I failed to "think outside the box" on this one. In fact, I made a box, stepped inside, and made another box.

I call this "The Approach of the Creators' Return". It was inspired by some corny StarGate sequel that was on late at night while I had enough insomnia to sit through it.

This was done with Bryce 5.5 "right out of the box" ... no downloaded materials or such, though I did adjust some. I did it on my old XP machine. Used Paint Shop Pro 8 to convert it to JPG. No other post-work.

I had much bigger plans for this, but render times got in the way. One thing I wanted to do, and failed, was step up the haze to make the atmosphere, breathed by the creatures that would be found here, seem thicker than what we breath. The floor was far more reflective in the first version, but those render times. Tsk, tsk, tsk. On this version, when it finished the first pass in this render, (which took more than an hour), it reported it would be done in 1 day, 20 hours, and 45 minutes. In fact, it took longer. I had to pause it 36 hours into it. Then I restarted it for 12 hours, and had to pause it again halfway through the final pass. When I restarted it to finish the other half of the final pass, it was 8 hours and 16 minutes later that it finally was done. That's my punishment for using so much reflective and/or transparent material. The dome over the Earth used to have reflections, too. So much for my plans to animate this with the Earth and its atmosphere spinning, and the "fire" in the doorway churning.

One interesting anomaly is found in the upper left corner decorations. Exact same material, exactly symmetrical placement as the others, yet it lost some gloss somehow, and seems darker. I don't know how that could be.

Now that I've been my own critic, including pointing out that this is an entry, and no where near a winner, I would like to criticize the other entries. Do you people have to be so dog gone good all the time?

The_ApproachOfTheCreatorsReturn.jpg
    1760 x 922 - 949K
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
    edited December 1969

@CTippets : I like the idea.
    You are very patient in regard to the render time, I usually stop after an hour or so, sometimes I can bring it up to pause
    and continue and if I really want to finish my render because I think it's worth it, I use another computer.

In the meantime I finished my 3rd entry.
    The title : She's got the world in her hands.
    A bit of a mix of Bryce, downloaded stuff and a Daz Studio import.

Shes_got_the_world_in_her_hands_-_Copy.jpg
    947 x 473 - 92K
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Entry #2: A Flower In Space

Why do all my renders end up looking like paperback covers to novels nobody's ever heard of? Sometimes the ideas in your head just don't make it to the screen...

A_Flower_in_Space.jpg
    550 x 963 - 308K
    edited December 1969

@CTippetts - very nice render. Hard to believe that it took that long to render. It should render faster even on a steam-powered CPU.

@adbc - interesting idea and nicely done.

@Lord Ganthor - lovely idea and beautifully done. Her pose is great.

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Entry #2: A Flower In Space

Why do all my renders end up looking like paperback covers to novels nobody's ever heard of? Sometimes the ideas in your head just don't make it to the screen...

Ha ha, that made me laugh. Think we've all been there mate. Despite what you think, great work though.
    edited April 2015

Second entry "Recon".
    Bryce models by me, some rocks from Estevez. Planet, engine exhaust, and tower lights added in post.

OUTLANDERS2_copy.jpg
    1200 x 580 - 295K
    Post edited by orbital on
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

orbital said:
    Second entry "Recon".
    Bryce models by me, some rocks from Estevez. Planet, engine exhaust, and tower lights added in post.

I like this one. It would make a great wallpaper on a desktop. Reminds me of a windmill "farm" I saw once on a rainy, foggy morning.

edited December 1969

orbital said:
    Second entry "Recon".

I like this one. It would make a great wallpaper on a desktop. Reminds me of a windmill "farm" I saw once on a rainy, foggy morning.
    Thanks

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

There are some really awesome renders in this challenge.

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

I agree with Horo's comments about the lack of shadows on my previous entry, so I modified it and tried to bring them out a bit more. Not completely pleased with the results and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with the settings, but this is my official 2nd entry titled: “You Had One Job….” or “We Have a Cleanup on Level 19!”

Level19.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 702K
    edited December 1969

@orbital - that's a very nice scene.

@Art - quite improved. I'm of two minds whether this looks good or could be yet improved. The room the robots have to clean up may indeed be looking like that.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,392
    edited April 2015

All the new entries are great.

My third entry using Horo’s Gascloud and Flames Hdri for the backdrop. The spaceship I modeled in Bryce, the animals and plants freebies.

Noak’ Spaceship

noahsspaceship.jpg
    600 x 600 - 62K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

I like this one, Mermaid....for some unknown reason it reminded me immediately of Alice in Wonderland.

Jay

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    I like this one, Mermaid....for some unknown reason it reminded me immediately of Alice in Wonderland.

Jay

Yes, something to do with a big tea cup?

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Fishtales said:
    Jamahoney said:

Jay

Yes, something to do with a big tea cup?

Ah yes, the swirl makes a kind of handle, but perhaps, I'm thinking, of a small top hat, too ;)