Is anyone using Nvidia's Omniverse yet?

I noticed Daz3D is mentioned as being compatable with Omniverse.

I am wondering how my Daz content library will figure into this Omniverse platform.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,815

well only ones with an RTX card can

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,181
    edited January 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

well only ones with an RTX card can

Yes that is true,

I heard Nvidia is coming out with a new RTX card that will be priced at around $250.

It will be faster than most non RTX cards.

Post edited by RexRed on
  • RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,181

I would like to know when Daz will have any apps, collections and connectors made for Omniverse.

I am under the impression that Omniverse is in some sort of negotiations with Daz because Nvidia is using Daz's logo (among others) to promote Omniverse.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,981
    edited January 2022

Being that Omniverse is still in open beta, it may be a bit before we hear anything from Daz.. And maybe and this is a big maybe and a whole lot of guessing from me, this could also be why Daz Studio 5 is delayed?

Though just trying to get Omniverse to work at all is going to be a bit of a trial, as can't even create an account.. lol

One other thing, looking at a video on Omniverse from September 2021, shows that Daz3D was not yet a part of the Partner program..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • QuasarQuasar Posts: 574

I hadn't known about Omniverse until @wintoons asked in the commons if DAZ might make a bridge for it. After checking it out really quick, it looks interesting even though it seems very experimental. Anyway, whatever it turns out to be or however we might get use from it, I saw something intriguing in the "developer ecosystem" section of the website. https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-omniverse-platform

• docbotherdocbother Posts: 106

If daz does integrate it into DS5 (6?), I would be surprised if it will include all the components listed. Some of it sound like it does what was attempted with Daz Connect in a less proprietary fashion. It sounds very long-term-ish.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,156

After seeing this thread, I thought I'd give it a try, but so far a whole bunch of components are failing to install. It might be because I set it to install to my NAS rather than my root drive.

• wintoonswintoons Posts: 371

So, after playing around with Omniverse, which is really impressive, I do think that Daz3d should make connector for it. I can see so much potential for Story Teller Animators. 

edited January 2022

what would be nice is if they could provide a cloud option for a reasonable price for those without RTX cards, things are not going to get any easier as far as manufacturing and availability and it would also obviously be another way for them to make money.

After all they do offer cloud rendering services.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

what would be nice is if they could provide a cloud option for a reasonable price for those without RTX cards, things are not going to get any easier as far as manufacturing and availability and it would also obviously be another way for them to make money.

What type of cards do you use or have? 

wintoons said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

What type of cards do you use or have? 

only a GTX 980Ti

the RTX 3### cards wouldn't fit my Motherboard anyway

and way beyond my budget

I am not worried just dispointed there is no hardware accelerated options as some features such as Audio2Face look cool

what is disapointing is I actually could install the first beta released late 2019 even if I couldn't render in it but now you cannot even install it without an RTX card

which seems silly since they actually sell cloud rendering

Well, I guess it's in early stages, they probably might make it easier for ones who haven't got an RTX cards and offer some other type of options. I guess we will have to wait and see. 
    So far, I've been using it and adding characters in Omniverse and the results are fantastic. Because the Daz characters are iRay based shaders anywhere, it has no problem rendering them and it looks just like as if you are using DazStudio.

I do believe Daz 3D should really get into this, if they made a connector for this, it would be an amazing option for story tellers and animators with little effort and hassle of importing daz assets directly into Create or Machinima.  

• LFALFA Posts: 8
    edited February 2022

Hello everyone,

I've learned from a YT user that a 'connector' was announced during CES 2022 in January.

At present time, the basic workflow is the use Omniverse 'Create' to convert fbx assets to USD. In that application, it is possible to assemble and render a complete scene using DAZ assets and Iray shaders. As Wintoons said, there is no issue with DAZ shaders, except for the cornea, as it is the only shader that need a fix by setting Opacity as 0 (You find all surfaces inside the 'Looks' node). From there, you can import into any Omniverse application. In this scenario, still renders will work perfectly with either RTX, Iray or Path Tracing. Also from my tests, animations are not there yet. The matter of fact, I am currently testing DAZ body and facial animations in Machinima, and I have found a small issue. DAZ body animations work fairly in both Create and Machinima, only if the animation file is saved correctly. What I mean by that is, in Create, there are noticeable minor deformations from the original animation file, such as arms rotations may be slightly different. To accomplish that, I have just found out that, in Create, save the (FBX) animation file as *USD using the option: 'Save Flattened As...' instead of 'Save As...'. The USD file will work in both Create and Machinima with slight deviations in the arm joints.

Below is a short video showing my very first scene in Create, a very basic one. 

Regards,

Luciano

Post edited by LFA on
  • Luv LeeLuv Lee Posts: 229

I have used omniverse and it is amazing. I really hope DAZ either makes a bridge or offers UD and UDC support-- I am digging RT rendering.

edited September 2022

LFA said:

Hello everyone,

I've learned from a YT user that a 'connector' was announced during CES 2022 in January.

At present time, the basic workflow is the use Omniverse 'Create' to convert fbx assets to USD. In that application, it is possible to assemble and render a complete scene using DAZ assets and Iray shaders. As Wintoons said, there is no issue with DAZ shaders, except for the cornea, as it is the only shader that need a fix by setting Opacity as 0 (You find all surfaces inside the 'Looks' node). From there, you can import into any Omniverse application. In this scenario, still renders will work perfectly with either RTX, Iray or Path Tracing. Also from my tests, animations are not there yet. The matter of fact, I am currently testing DAZ body and facial animations in Machinima, and I have found a small issue. DAZ body animations work fairly in both Create and Machinima, only if the animation file is saved correctly. What I mean by that is, in Create, there are noticeable minor deformations from the original animation file, such as arms rotations may be slightly different. To accomplish that, I have just found out that, in Create, save the (FBX) animation file as *USD using the option: 'Save Flattened As...' instead of 'Save As...'. The USD file will work in both Create and Machinima with slight deviations in the arm joints.

Regards,

Luciano

That looks amazing-- I have had great success with iClone--I just wish we had straight access from DAZ into it as I know not everyone wants to splurge on that--physics too, although I am be getting greedy. Here's an iClone Daz/Omniverse render:  https://vimeo.com/748574758

https://vimeo.com/748574758

Post edited by Luv Lee on
  • I use it often for projects Daz can't handle, it's like Daz but with very little ready to use assets, you can either import your stuffs from iclone/CC, blender or other software, the rendering engine is powered by Nvidia's RTX with native support, but it's not very useful for Daz users who rely their content creation on ready to use assets in DAZ, you can technically export your DAZ stuff to omniverse, on regular content, it will work, but on complex morph such as muscle & vien, it won't look right, not to mention all the deforced hairs, rigging and other stuff. in short, it's not very useful for DAZ users. 

Luv Lee said:

LFA said:

Hello everyone,

Regards,

Luciano

That looks amazing-- I have had great success with iClone--I just wish we had straight access from DAZ into it as I know not everyone wants to splurge on that--physics too, although I am be getting greedy. Here's an iClone Daz/Omniverse render:  https://vimeo.com/748574758

Beautiful render, good work.

RL products are fully compatible with Omniverse and Real Time rendering. The biggest flaw with DAZ figures is the JCM feature that only works in DAZ. Limbs will become slightly misaligned in Omniverse.

I hope that announcement to be released next week will reveal something cool in this direction.

• myrkavadimmyrkavadim Posts: 3
    edited September 2022

From Nvidia GDC stream on Omniverse:

image_2022-09-21_01-31-33.png
    309 x 245 - 18K
    Post edited by myrkavadim on
  • myrkavadim said:

You need to attach the image (Attach a File, under the text box), it won't show if simply pasted in directly.

• Richard Haseltine said:

myrkavadim said:

You need to attach the image (Attach a File, under the text box), it won't show if simply pasted in directly.

Sorry, I just fixed it. For some reason, my message was sent twice and I can't delete the first one now. Hope it's ok.

myrkavadim said:

Thank you for sharing. Perhaps it is today's announcement. Let's see.

• Ohminerves™?

LFA said:

Luv Lee said:

LFA said:

Hello everyone,

Regards,

Luciano

Beautiful render, good work.

RL products are fully compatible with Omniverse and Real Time rendering. The biggest flaw with DAZ figures is the JCM feature that only works in DAZ. Limbs will become slightly misaligned in Omniverse.

I hope that announcement to be released next week will reveal something cool in this direction.

Sorry for the late response, for some reason I f don't get notifications when people reply, even when I check the box for it :-)  and thank you -- fingers are crossed they will give us real access in 2023.

• The ticket price to OmniVerse is USD. I may be mistaken, but I don't think we've seen any sign of USD coming to DAZ Studio. I was hoping that the big surprise that turned out to be Genesis 9 was actually USD export so we could use all of the cool things that the rest of the 3D world gets to play with that we are cut off from.

When I get some time, I'm going to add it to Sagan, though.

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

The ticket price to OmniVerse is USD. I may be mistaken, but I don't think we've seen any sign of USD coming to DAZ Studio. I was hoping that the big surprise that turned out to be Genesis 9 was actually USD export so we could use all of the cool things that the rest of the 3D world gets to play with that we are cut off from.

yes

I might hold of uninstalling all my Omniverse stuffs I haven't used yet then though my C drive is showing red blush 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

WendyLuvsCatz said:

The ticket price to OmniVerse is USD. I may be mistaken, but I don't think we've seen any sign of USD coming to DAZ Studio. I was hoping that the big surprise that turned out to be Genesis 9 was actually USD export so we could use all of the cool things that the rest of the 3D world gets to play with that we are cut off from.

yes

I might hold of uninstalling all my Omniverse stuffs I haven't used yet then though my C drive is showing red blush 

Sounds like you need to download a bigger C drive. 

Sevrin said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

yes

Sounds like you need to download a bigger C drive. 

173GB free of 1.81TB blush 

I could never get Omniverse to work, probably because I tried to install everything to a data drive instead of root.

edited January 2023

Gordig said:

I could never get Omniverse to work, probably because I tried to install everything to a data drive instead of root.

it's pretty demanding apparently, a FB friend struggles with a far more powerful PC than me and a 3090Ti surprise
    that discouraged me a bit and I have so many things to use already

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

I've got a Threadripper, 128GB of RAM and an A5000, so my computer is no slouch either.