Is anyone using Nvidia's Omniverse yet?

2»

Comments

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

The ticket price to OmniVerse is USD. I may be mistaken, but I don't think we've seen any sign of USD coming to DAZ Studio. I was hoping that the big surprise that turned out to be Genesis 9 was actually USD export so we could use all of the cool things that the rest of the 3D world gets to play with that we are cut off from.

When I get some time, I'm going to add it to Sagan, though.

Does the USD export from Blender work well enough for what you need? I need USD objects for Apple Motion but I found that exporting .obj from DAZ worked a little better for me than jumping through Blender first, but I didn't experiment all that much as the .obj worked perfectly for me without the Blender detour.

-- Walt Sterdan 

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,191

What is nice about Omniverse is its app named "Create", it comes with hundreds of "free" stock models that you can very easily export as .obj files and bring into Daz.

Many of the surfaces you can add your own shaders to if you don't like the ones that come with them.

So immediately it has some nice benefits to having it.

• wsterdan said:

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

The ticket price to OmniVerse is USD. I may be mistaken, but I don't think we've seen any sign of USD coming to DAZ Studio. I was hoping that the big surprise that turned out to be Genesis 9 was actually USD export so we could use all of the cool things that the rest of the 3D world gets to play with that we are cut off from.

When I get some time, I'm going to add it to Sagan, though.

Does the USD export from Blender work well enough for what you need? I need USD objects for Apple Motion but I found that exporting .obj from DAZ worked a little better for me than jumping through Blender first, but I didn't experiment all that much as the .obj worked perfectly for me without the Blender detour.

-- Walt Sterdan 

I haven't used OmniVerse at all, from DS nor Blender. I was just expressing the opinion that DAZ is inward facing, creating an island for itself with G9, and cutting its users off from some truly amazing technologies that DAZ has no hope of developing themselves. The gap in functionality is growing every time companies like Epic or Nvidia make anouncements.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

I agree for the most part, and I'd truly love USD support, for example, but I think the DAZ team has their hands full just trying to keep the island from sinking for now. They've been transitioning from Qt4 to Qt6 for at least a couple of years now, and it seems every new beta release triggers new Nvidia issues followed by dozens of posts with people playing Driver Whack-a-Mole. As much as I'd love new features like new rendering engines and file formats, I think they really need to get a stable DAZ Studio 5 out the door before trying to branch out more than they already have. With luck, DAZ Studio 5 will have some new features that will move in a more outward-facing direction.

-- Walt Sterdan

• wsterdan said:

I agree for the most part, and I'd truly love USD support, for example, but I think the DAZ team has their hands full just trying to keep the island from sinking for now. They've been transitioning from Qt4 to Qt6 for at least a couple of years now, and it seems every new beta release triggers new Nvidia issues followed by dozens of posts with people playing Driver Whack-a-Mole. As much as I'd love new features like new rendering engines and file formats, I think they really need to get a stable DAZ Studio 5 out the door before trying to branch out more than they already have. With luck, DAZ Studio 5 will have some new features that will move in a more outward-facing direction.

-- Walt Sterdan

Yes, I agree. I'm not saying that the devs, even though they ignore me, are at fault. DAZ as a whole just seems comically under-resourced in a number of areas, resulting in experiences that can only be had here, by using their software, reading their documentation, accessing their website, or their customer support.

That being said, I will still take a poorly documented native SDK like the one DAZ makes available, over a poorly documented Javascript or Python SDK any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I'm tied up trying to make the Livelink work at the moment, but at some point, I'm sure I (or someone else) will get around to USD before DAZ does. And that's OK... when you will be enjoying audio2face, I doubt you'll care who developed the exporter.

Donald