Weekly Carrara Animation challenge.#1 Theme Fast. Ends March 28 2015

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

I remember watching a documentary about the Disney animators around the time of Beauty and the Beast. At that point, aside from The Little Mermaid, not much had been done with animation for awhile, so the animators went back to the archives of cells that Disney keeps and searched through them for things they were having trouble with. I seem to recall, they looked at how they animated horses and things. They even looked at how the bear attack was animated in The Fox and the Hound for ideas on how to animate the Beast during his fight.
    Disney animation is an excellent source of Great animation, in my opinion. Jungle Book has been one of my favorites forever. But their recent works have really been top-notch as well. They truly are masters of the craft! I thought that "Tangled" was spectacular! The hair on the little girl in Brave still has me wanting to change Rosie's hair forever!

Btw, been playing with trying to do a 'Brave' type messy/wild hairstyle, my next main focus if I can get an animation done for this challenge in time :) So hopefully I'll have something soon, if life doesn't keep getting in the way...

• GSSEVGSSEV Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

Here one I did earlier. It was an entry for Channel E4s Esting comp. It didn't get picked but fun to do. All done in Carrara. Thought it matched the fast theme :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYu6SjYR7_8

edited December 1969

gssev said:
    Here one I did earlier. It was an entry for Channel E4s Esting comp. It didn't get picked but fun to do. All done in Carrara. Thought it matched the fast theme :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYu6SjYR7_8

That made me grin, great fun!

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Disney animation is an excellent source of Great animation, in my opinion. Jungle Book has been one of my favorites forever. But their recent works have really been top-notch as well. They truly are masters of the craft! I thought that "Tangled" was spectacular! The hair on the little girl in Brave still has me wanting to change Rosie's hair forever!

Boy, you hit the nail on the head with that! Especially "Tangled". I couldn't hardly believe the animation in that one.
    But one of my favorites has to be "The Incredibles". The characters have such a great style, and the action sequences are amazing.
    Makes me smile every time I see it. :) (I'm smiling just thinking about it.)

• MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
    edited March 2015

Heres a lunch-break doodle: https://youtu.be/Y9U_zGq8_DY

The .car file is here (without the cloud background): https://www.dropbox.com/s/08wpdnapfn1289f/fast.car?dl=0

I used the highly questionable F15 model from the Carrara stock library. The shaky-cam effect was done by having the camera point-at a Target Helper Object that was parented to the jet. I then put some noise tweeners on the Target Helper Object so the cameras focus center would move around. The zooms, well those are just twitchy things with key frames. :D

SpeedA178.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 30K
    Post edited by MarkBremmer on
    edited December 1969

Great camera work on that Mark, just enough shake to be realistic but not make me lose sight of the action.

edited December 1969

This is the early work on a dream sequence I am working on. I’m in the process of adding trees and rocks and staging the timing of various elements that will be ripped up into the air based on their weight etc.

http://youtu.be/MC_sC51akDc

Awesome!

edited December 1969

FAST - by Dartanbeck

That was fun too!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited March 2015

Cool Flyby Mark! ;)

Okay, in this post I have two videos to show.
    The first is the animation of a Steam Dragon flying over the badlands with a pilot and two passengers. The second is a screen-capture WIP narrated tutorial-like babble session. LOL

- 7 Second Steam Dragon Flight Animation

- Dragon Flight Animation Carrara Setup WIP - Babble, babble... :ahhh:

That was fun too!Thank you :)

SteamDragonFlight.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 460K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited March 2015

Following the above post, I have two more videos to share. This time the first is the screen-capture WIP narrated tutorial-like babble session, taking the first video from the above post into Howler and doing a very tiny intro to Howler, finally ending up with what appears as a somewhat final result like thing in the second video. LOL

- 7 Second Steam Dragon Flight Howler Post Work Demo

- Dragon Flight through Binoculars :ahhh:

SteamDragonThruBinos.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 391K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

I was inspired to try and write with a particle emitter in this thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54224/

Then I thought, what was a fast way to communicate and store ideas before the advent of video and voice recorders? Before the computer or typewriter? Before the printing press? Writing of course! Probably the most important technological human invention after learning how to start and control fire. Arguably more important to developing societies than the the wheel.

So, what did I write? "Fast" of course! Had to keep with the theme after all. ;-)

Anyway, I'm making the files available for everybody to look at, tear apart or improve. If you do improve the look or performance, please share that with all of us! There are two .car files. One has the image map that I used as a template to animate the emitters. The other file uses no template and is a blank paper. I used several emitters as I couldn't keyframe multiple start and stop times for an individual emitter.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7370483/emitter-writing.zip

The video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmQySueK00c

nice work evil

edited December 1969

Cool Flyby Mark! ;)

Okay, in this post I have two videos to show.
    The first is the animation of a Steam Dragon flying over the badlands with a pilot and two passengers. The second is a screen-capture WIP narrated tutorial-like babble session. LOL

- 7 Second Steam Dragon Flight Animation

- Dragon Flight Animation Carrara Setup WIP - Babble, babble... :ahhh:

looks like a kids show on tv, !

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited March 2015

Great videos guys. Dart you have been busy, all cool animations. I think it is a good idea to post the link to the carrara files if you want, as some of you have done for this challenge. I will add a note about this to the next challenge .

Post edited by mmoir on
    edited March 2015

head wax said:

looks like a kids show on tv, !

LOL!!!
    The second WIP video is working with the link, but YouTube is still processing it. I'm hoping that is why it's all blurry looking. My version on my PC isn't blurry! :shut:

Edit: Okay, cool... it's much better now ;)

edited December 1969

Ha ha, I meant that as a compliment. My main interest is digital work that looks like a human made it, not like a computer made it ;)

edited March 2015

mmoir said:
    Great videos guys. Dart you have been busy, all cool animations. I think it is a good idea to post the link to the carrara files if you want, as some of you have done for this challenge. I will add a note about this to the next challenge .
    I only had a few minutes to spare yesterday, and just quickly threw that together, hoping that it would turn out. Then just before I went to bed, I screen-captured a WIP for it, which took (as always) much longer than anticipated! LOL
    Today after work I did the Howler stuff.

That's what I've always done in Carrara:
    I have bits of time. Very few, and not very long. The exception being winter time, where I can spend all day every day, for the most part. So I would work on little bits at a time - mostly optimizing shaders and setting up lights. In between, I'd put it all together for a test animation. That's how Previsual Renders came into being, back when I had Windows XP and a still-useable "Movie Maker". Then I got Windows 7, 64 bit which I do like much better, but it lacks MM unless you use the Windows Live version, which isn't even close to as good. At least not back then, and not for me. So Just a Bit of Fun came out via my testing the 30 day trial of Sony Movie HD (Cheap, home version of Vegas), which I really like, so I bought the Platinum version which comes with a pile of soundtrack music, DVD Architect, and Sound Forge. I still haven't tried DA or SF, but I do really enjoy Movie HD and the soundtrack files!
    Now I also have Video Studio Pro, by Corel, which I bought in a bundle when I went there to get PaintShopPro, which I really like, but almost never use because I've finally wrapped my mind around using Howler, which is almost as fun for me as Carrara!
    Whew! Are you done babbling yet Dartan?
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I was just about to conclude with the idea that, as we....... LOL :-/

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Ha ha, I meant that as a compliment. My main interest is digital work that looks like a human made it, not like a computer made it ;)
    Awesome! Thank you Very Much!
    Me too... precisely!
    edited March 2015

head wax said:
    Awesome! Thank you Very Much!
    Me too... precisely!Shortly after buying Howler, I asked Dan Ritchie if he could add this filter to the animated list for Howler, and he did - the very next day! (evilproducer's free Fantasy Village scene)
    Not entirely what I was looking for, but now I know that I can get my animations looking more the way I want them to look, by post-working them in Howler.
    EnterVillageCenter1apdB.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 942K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Following the above post, I have two more videos to share. This time the first is the screen-capture WIP narrated tutorial-like babble session, taking the first video from the above post into Howler and doing a very tiny intro to Howler, finally ending up with what appears as a somewhat final result like thing in the second video. LOL

- 7 Second Steam Dragon Flight Howler Post Work Demo

- Dragon Flight through Binoculars :ahhh:

Nice post-effect Dart!

edited December 1969

Thanks, ep! If it wasn't for you, I'd still be under the disillusion that I should just try and render everything without post work!
    Now I can actually preconceive post manipulation and set up for faster renders and their setups.
    So Thanks for that too! :)

edited December 1969

Really good tutorial for PD Howler, Dart, even if you did wander a bit. I learned quite a bit of useful info (even when you were just playing around with this and that :) )

edited December 1969

Thanks Jon!
    I do know that I am very informal. ep and Garstor could certainly attest to that! LOL
    So I'm figuring: why change? I'll just keep being me. Just like I'm sitting by the listener, sipping my coffee, staring at my monitor as I geek! LOL

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839
    edited December 1969

Great stuff, everyone.

The thread is moving on so quickly with new posts that I haven't done more than skim through yet. But I'll catch up!

In the meantime I might as well join in the fun. My animation is eleven seconds. I dragged it out from a storage disk because I created this way back when I first tried Carrara.

It arose from one of my very early attempts at rigging. I was trying out Sculptris as a way to get a figure for rigging and put no effort into modelling the arms.

My first few moves after adding bones to the figure loaned themselves to a fast attack sequence.

Here is the animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlrlPJH2Uys&feature=youtu.be

I'll post an image or two of the figure and another I went on to sculpt with better arms.

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839
    edited December 1969

OK here are some images:

newspaceman_decimated0012.jpg
    800 x 600 - 114K
    newspaceman_decimated0004.jpg
    800 x 600 - 112K
    spacemansculptfurtherdecimated0013.jpg
    800 x 600 - 113K
    spacemansculptfurtherdecimated0005.jpg
    800 x 600 - 111K
    edited December 1969

Pretty cool, Marcus! Interesting figure.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Starships are fast.
    https://youtu.be/3-OIjdE0CR8

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Starships are fast.

cool :-)

edited December 1969

bigh said:

cool :-)Ditto! :-)

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited December 1969

Hey guys,
    It is awesome to see all these animations created during this challenge. I don't know if there should be a vote or not but I will start thinking about the next challenge theme and post it tomorrow sometime.

There were many great entries so congrats to all who participated.

edited December 1969

Starships are fast.

Excellent!