Alternative to Mysty's Presets for g3?

Hi, as we all know Mysty has been MIA for a while - praying that she is alright.

Anyways.....

I've recently been fiddling with genesis again and mucking around and of course I can't get g3 into Carrara but I see I have somehow aquired g3 stuff in plenty.

And Mysty's presets over at Rendo have been off the market for a while.

Anyone know of other work arounds or what clues Mysty gave for the work that she did.

It wasn't the one with the bad toe text errors that the programmers could be bother fixing? I take it that was g8?

I noticed changing g3's rigging to blended weight doesnt help.

thanks for clues

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,036
    edited February 2022

you could always do the posed obj export option 

it was typos in node names

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 527

To my understanding, (take that with a grain of salt), Misty's presets are just that, Presets, which require the base Genesis 3 dsf file.  Those haven't changed.  WhatyouI might do is take the origional G3 male or female, convert them to blended weight, and save as a character preset.  Then with a decent text editor, compare the two presets, Misty's and the one you just saved, for any differences.  I know she mentioned typo's as part of the problem, but what other changes she may have made to the presets to get then to work in Carrara, I have no clue.  I'm just glad I bought them when I did.  Which is probably why I havent done so.

And I too pray she's alright.

• HW, if you don't care about not having those bloated genesis morphs, then G3 and G8 work well in Carrara - just save with blended weight and export via collada.  Posing works fine.  You can always adjust things in the modeling room (I think that I needed to smooth the G3 ears a bit).  To me, having access to the newer maps is more important.

And now that you got me thinking about it, I will do just that, just to satify my own curiosity

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

UnifiedBrain said:

HW, if you don't care about not having those bloated genesis morphs, then G3 and G8 work well in Carrara - just save with blended weight and export via collada.  Posing works fine.  You can always adjust things in the modeling room (I think that I needed to smooth the G3 ears a bit).  To me, having access to the newer maps is more important.

Export to Collada doesn't require converting to blended weights.smiley

The issue is rubber hose joints (absent jcms).

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

WendyLuvsCatz said:

you could always do the posed obj export option 

it was typos in node names

thanks for the suggestion Wendy :) and the typos in  the nodes ixplication

ProPose said:

To my understanding, (take that with a grain of salt), Misty's presets are just that, Presets, which require the base Genesis 3 dsf file.  Those haven't changed.  WhatyouI might do is take the origional G3 male or female, convert them to blended weight, and save as a character preset.  Then with a decent text editor, compare the two presets, Misty's and the one you just saved, for any differences.  I know she mentioned typo's as part of the problem, but what other changes she may have made to the presets to get then to work in Carrara, I have no clue.  I'm just glad I bought them when I did.  Which is probably why I havent done so.

And I too pray she's alright.

Thank you Propose - I wasn't smart enough to buy them at the time alas - so I have no way of comparing them - looking forward to what you come up with!

UnifiedBrain said:

HW, if you don't care about not having those bloated genesis morphs, then G3 and G8 work well in Carrara - just save with blended weight and export via collada.  Posing works fine.  You can always adjust things in the modeling room (I think that I needed to smooth the G3 ears a bit).  To me, having access to the newer maps is more important.

Thanks Ub _ I did that with blended wieght and collada - works fine but it came through no morphs - not sure why - but the saved car file is just 4.2mb !! The joints are a little iffy as far as distortions in some aspects and it looks like it needs a jcm (?) or two!

edited February 2022

ah just as Vyusur said - rubber hosed joints :)

Post edited by Headwax on

I wouldn't call it progress, but its something, and it's not going to be an easy fix.  That's her tongue sticking up in the air. Still blended weight, and I think that's the only way for the rigging to "stick". I tried the standard version(Not Blended Weight) and it loads without crashing Carrara, and I can pose her. The rig posed, but the mesh didn't follow.  Not only did I correct some of the typo's in the duf file, (which is the character preset), I also had to edit the dsf file, which is the geometry file, to correspond to the calls that the duf file makes.  I can probably fix the tongue,  but there really isn't any point.  By messing around with the dsf file, anything that was made for Genesis 3 Female will no longer work, cause every PA that has done anything for that figure, worked from a flawed base.  By "flawed" I mean that the typo's exist in the base mesh (dsf) and I don't think that'll get fixed.

Having said all that,  I'll probably still plug away at it, but  as with DAZ 3D, it's not high on my priority list.  I prefere to continue on with my other worklfow, which I've documented at the other place.

Test.JPG
    1920 x 1049 - 229K

Having said all that, I'll probably plug away at it, but as with Daz 3D, it's not high on my priority list.  

• since her 8.1 presets are still available with the same fixes, one could compare those in Notepad++

she didn't touch the geometry file, it was things like corver instead of corner needing fixing

• Headwax said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Thanks Ub _ I did that with blended wieght and collada - works fine but it came through no morphs - not sure why - but the saved car file is just 4.2mb !! The joints are a little iffy as far as distortions in some aspects and it looks like it needs a jcm (?) or two!

Yes, that is what i said.  There are no morphs.  If morphs are important to you for a specific project, then I understand.  For me, morphs are relatively unimportant for at least half of my projects.  And for those projects that need robust morphs, I can either use a different figure or stick with G3 and start pulling polygons in the modeling room.

That also applies to joints.  If the character is clothed, then posed character joints are hidden.  If the character has body parts that are not clothed, then wonky joints can be adjusted in the modeling room.

I get the feeling sometimes that folks here insist on having clothing conform automatically.  Anything else is too much work, or is "wrong."  Who set that standard?  We are talking about products with adjustable polygons.  For me, even conforming clothing frequently needs to be ajdusted in the modeling room.  And since I do not animate, and instead only do still renders, adjusting the clothing to fit a character is not a big deal, whether it conforms or not.

I really like using the stripped down version of Genesis 3 and 8 in certain renders.  Loads fast, renders fast, and the maps typically look great.  And polygons are adjustable. :)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2022

G3 wearing Aiko 3 3rd party swimsuit.  Swimsuit is an OBJ, not a Daz product.  Swimsuit took about 10 minutes to adjust.  Would be better if I was optimizing for a specific render.  I also smoothed ears and torso, which took about 10 seconds.

I know that virtually everyone here already knows how to adjust stuff in the modeling room.  I'm just trying to be clear.

With wonky elbow bend

From the other side, adjusted elbow bend.  Not perfect, but also took only 10 seconds.

Loaded and saved in 2 seconds.  For these quality of maps, that is just ridiculous.

G3 Ophellia A3 swimsuit_elbo wonky.png
    2700 x 1800 - 1M
    G3 Ophellia A3 swimsuit.png
    2700 x 1800 - 1M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

ProPose said:

Having said all that,  I'll probably still plug away at it, but  as with DAZ 3D, it's not high on my priority list.  I prefere to continue on with my other worklfow, which I've documented at the other place.

well it's certainly an improvement! thanks for all the effort you pit in, especially at th e other place too :)!

make that 'put' :)

WendyLuvsCatz said:

since her 8.1 presets are still available with the same fixes, one could compare those in Notepad++

she didn't touch the geometry file, it was things like corver instead of corner needing fixing

oh it's the same fixes? thanks, that's a clue for sure

UnifiedBrain said:

Headwax said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Yes, that is what i said.  There are no morphs.  If morphs are important to you for a specific project, then I understand.  For me, morphs are relatively unimportant for at least half of my projects.  And for those projects that need robust morphs, I can either use a different figure or stick with G3 and start pulling polygons in the modeling room.

That also applies to joints.  If the character is clothed, then posed character joints are hidden.  If the character has body parts that are not clothed, then wonky joints can be adjusted in the modeling room.

I get the feeling sometimes that folks here insist on having clothing conform automatically.  Anything else is too much work, or is "wrong."  Who set that standard?  We are talking about products with adjustable polygons.  For me, even conforming clothing frequently needs to be ajdusted in the modeling room.  And since I do not animate, and instead only do still renders, adjusting the clothing to fit a character is not a big deal, whether it conforms or not.

I really like using the stripped down version of Genesis 3 and 8 in certain renders.  Loads fast, renders fast, and the maps typically look great.  And polygons are adjustable. :)

ah thanks UB, apologies I wasn't complaining! I thought I'd done something wrong and that's why the morphs hadnt come through! 

I have a stack of genesis over a few hard drives and have no idea what's going on as DIM directory seems to have gone awol

UnifiedBrain said:

G3 wearing Aiko 3 3rd party swimsuit.  Swimsuit is an OBJ, not a Daz product.  Swimsuit took about 10 minutes to adjust.  Would be better if I was optimizing for a specific render.  I also smoothed ears and torso, which took about 10 seconds.

I know that virtually everyone here already knows how to adjust stuff in the modeling room.  I'm just trying to be clear.

With wonky elbow bend

From the other side, adjusted elbow bend.  Not perfect, but also took only 10 seconds.

Loaded and saved in 2 seconds.  For these quality of maps, that is just ridiculous.

yes 2 seconds is amazing for that quality!

edited February 2022

Headwax said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

since her 8.1 presets are still available with the same fixes, one could compare those in Notepad++

oh it's the same fixes? thanks, that's a clue for sure

If the G3 presets are unavailable, I'd be inclined to go with the G8 presets even though there are issues that I still don't really understand,  because, the base figure and any morph packs you might wan to install will all show up in Carrara without too much fuss.  Clothing ,Hair, and stuff like that can be modified by converting to blended weight and it's pretty much the same as the G3 presets.  If you do nude renders, or want to include the anatomical elements, then that's a whole different story, which is true for any generation of Genesis.  

G8.1 are a bit more challenging.  Just loading the base figure and say the Head, Body and Expression morph packs. the only thing you get in Carrara are the Head morphs, and only the head Pose Controls, none for the body.  For me that has always been a deterrent from using the G8.1 presets,  hence I've only purchased one Character for G8.1F,  and that was just to experiment with it.

Post edited by ProPose on
    edited February 2022

only the G8.1 ones are available

you will need to use 7zip on them and the original G8.1's to compare as compressed

edited February 2022

Well, that's a crying shame, really.  They were offered as a freebee, so are they shareable?

DSON Editor works for me

Post edited by ProPose on
    edited February 2022

I will have to try that

I do own it

because Notepad++ compare has been stuck not very far for hours

and sadly no because she didn't make them redistributable

• Vyusur said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Export to Collada doesn't require converting to blended weights.smiley

The issue is rubber hose joints (absent jcms).

Thanks!  I had assumed otherwise without testing.  Saves me a step. :)

edited February 2022

For some time I have been using only my figures in Carrara, so I do not need to perform shamanic dances in order for everything to work.

For example, in this picture I used my new figure, just released in other place.

Doc7.jpg
    1300 x 1700 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on

Another good one, Nice figure, just picked her up.Thank you

ProPose said:

Thank you for purchasing!

Vyusur said:

ProPose said:

Thank you for purchasing!

I hope there's a Male friend for her in the future 

• Vyusur, another great character!

Pardon me for sounding like I haven't been paying attention (except that it is true), but how hard is it to get your newer custom figures into Carrara?  I succeeded with Leon.  Are current figures about the same?  Some seem to be for Poser only.

Can your custom figures wear Genesis clothing very easily? 

Are the custom figures you make compatible with each other?  Can they share poses, clothing, etc?

For current characters, I am relatively content using morph-less Genesis 3 and 8 characters at this point.  Morphs would be nice, but the skin maps are the main draw for me.  Do you provide normal maps (and IRAY maps) for all of your custom figure skin textures? 

I know, a lot of questions. :)