Carrara Challenge XVII - Wonder of my World - WiPs Thread

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited April 2015

You could try to duplicate the cardboard, resize it up a little and apply an aura but play whith the alpha channel to tweak the light.

Post edited by DUDU on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Awesome DUDU, that worked great! :) I really appreciate it (here's the pic of the effect layer for it below)

!!underbedcardboardglow1.png
    800 x 450 - 14K
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Nice to help you !

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

I'm still planning on doing something local for my "main" entry, but since we can do two I started playing around with another idea until I can get some reference photos.

I'm going to try and create an old traveller's journal type thing. This is just a test of the concept, but I modeled and textured some quick pyramids, rendered them, converted them to something more sketch-like in Photoshop (I'll probably play around with the NPR and see if I can get this effect straight out of Carrara but this is just a first test) and added it to a fake journal page.

For the final I intend to do a couple different Ancient Egyptian themed images like this and then once I have the pages set-up I'll use them as textures on a modeled journal-book for my final render.

JournalTest.jpg
    1000 x 1358 - 198K
    TestRender.jpg
    1000 x 520 - 39K
    edited December 1969

Cool, sort of like the old Ripley's journal entries that appeared in newspapers as he traveled the world gathering weird facts :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    I'm still planning on doing something local for my "main" entry, but since we can do two I started playing around with another idea until I can get some reference photos.

I'm going to try and create an old traveller's journal type thing. This is just a test of the concept, but I modeled and textured some quick pyramids, rendered them, converted them to something more sketch-like in Photoshop (I'll probably play around with the NPR and see if I can get this effect straight out of Carrara but this is just a first test) and added it to a fake journal page.

For the final I intend to do a couple different Ancient Egyptian themed images like this and then once I have the pages set-up I'll use them as textures on a modeled journal-book for my final render.

Looks cool. I was actually thinking something Luxor-ish.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Cool, sort of like the old Ripley's journal entries that appeared in newspapers as he traveled the world gathering weird facts :)
    Argh! I cannot test this right now, but I wonder if it would work to have a copy of the cardboard tube, with a different shader. On the new shader, crank the Alpha to 0% and put the blue in the glow. Put the Aura on that one. (?)
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    'm going to try and create an old traveller's journal type thing.
    Man, is that ever cool!
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Just a quick example for those that haven't participated in these challenges before..
    Um... what a totally awesome tutorial on how to make a fun, yet simple render in Carrara! And the result is a really stunning, wonderful poster to hang on the wall!!! Absolutely stunning post, my friend! May I borrow the concept in a Babble-on YouTube session? Man, that's good!
    I love this! :ahhh:
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    I was able to free up some time this weekend... ~
    Very nice job!
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Argh! I cannot test this right now, but I wonder if it would work to have a copy of the cardboard tube, with a different shader. On the new shader, crank the Alpha to 0% and put the blue in the glow. Put the Aura on that one. (?)

That's how I make atmospheres on planets. A sphere j-u-u-s-s-t slightly larger than the cloud sphere with a color and an alpha, plus the aura.

Terminus.jpg
    2000 x 1133 - 1M
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Just a quick example for those that haven't participated in these challenges before..
    Um... what a totally awesome tutorial on how to make a fun, yet simple render in Carrara! And the result is a really stunning, wonderful poster to hang on the wall!!! Absolutely stunning post, my friend! May I borrow the concept in a Babble-on YouTube session? Man, that's good!
    I love this! :ahhh:

sure ;-)

everyone, don't forget to visit the thread in the Commons board and pimp the challenge up :-o

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55009/

great seeing the ideas and help starting to flow :-)

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone!
    My idea for the new contest is the Mayan pyramid of El Castillo in Chicen Itza.
    A mix between the current image and those of the past (real and imaginary) ...

snake.texture_.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 870K
    snake1.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 693K
    El_Castillo.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    edited December 1969

I am ridiculously happy with using 'Aura' on objects now that I finally understand how it works. :)

So did a quick render pass of the aura channel and composited it with the regular Carrara render in Gimp, also took the opportunity to do some tinkering with levels and sharpening, etc.

I think I know can get all the passes I need from Carrara for compositing in the end, next I need to alter the textures and shaders to be enhanced for the Octane render (it's funny there's a thread about biased vs unbiased rendering, but in Carrara with the Octane or Luxus plugins it doesn't have to be either/or, we can take the best of both worlds and combine them :) )

By the way, I couldn't find a good 'en guarde!' pose for the K4 character and wasn't happy with anything... til I remembered I recently was gifted Dartanbeck's M4 swordwords animations/aniblocks.

I imported an aniblock onto the K4, then in K4's NLA tab I created a master clip for the animation. I next scrolled through the timeline to find the pose I was looking for (or close to it), and then saved that as a master pose (again in the NLA tab). I deleted the aniblock master clip, and loaded the master pose into the scene. Now if you're using a master pose apparently you're 'locked' into that position, and because the animation was designed for M4 and I was using a K4, the feet weren't quite right, and I needed to adjust hand grip for the cardboard tube, etc, and couldn't really do any of that. But that was easily solved by using Fenric's pose converter tool and exporting the master pose into a pz2 file. Then I deleted the master pose, and then used the pz2 file to pose K4 back in the same position, but this time I was able to move the body parts, and with a little tinkering the feet were in the right place and I got the pose I wanted.

Thanks Dart! And Fenric! :) That was a neat proof of concept for me on how to take an animation/aniblock and then select a frame I like and make it a pose I can use going forward in the future (I'm sure most others already knew how to do this, but it was the first time I had tried something like this, and I was pleased how easy and straightforward it was to do).

!!underbedwonder1carGimped1.png
    1400 x 788 - 1M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,937
    edited April 2015

MDO2010 said:
    An epic place of wonder?

http://www.marscheese.com/ :)

Seriously - great theme idea - I have some idea notes already!

...Oscar Mike Golf! Used to pass by that all the time. Defintiely one of the great Commercial Wonders of the World.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

I started mine I started mine, yippee :) calling for postwotk already !

Untitled-1.jpg
    2000 x 901 - 142K
  • DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Well done all! Keep 'em coming, keep 'em coming!

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Oh yeah!!! Ride that wave, HW!!!
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    I am ridiculously happy with using 'Aura' on objects now that I finally understand how it works. :)

So did a quick render pass of the aura channel and composited it with the regular Carrara render in Gimp, also took the opportunity to do some tinkering with levels and sharpening, etc.

I think I know can get all the passes I need from Carrara for compositing in the end, next I need to alter the textures and shaders to be enhanced for the Octane render (it's funny there's a thread about biased vs unbiased rendering, but in Carrara with the Octane or Luxus plugins it doesn't have to be either/or, we can take the best of both worlds and combine them :) )

By the way, I couldn't find a good 'en guarde!' pose for the K4 character and wasn't happy with anything... til I remembered I recently was gifted Dartanbeck's M4 swordwords animations/aniblocks.

I imported an aniblock onto the K4, then in K4's NLA tab I created a master clip for the animation. I next scrolled through the timeline to find the pose I was looking for (or close to it), and then saved that as a master pose (again in the NLA tab). I deleted the aniblock master clip, and loaded the master pose into the scene. Now if you're using a master pose apparently you're 'locked' into that position, and because the animation was designed for M4 and I was using a K4, the feet weren't quite right, and I needed to adjust hand grip for the cardboard tube, etc, and couldn't really do any of that. But that was easily solved by using Fenric's pose converter tool and exporting the master pose into a pz2 file. Then I deleted the master pose, and then used the pz2 file to pose K4 back in the same position, but this time I was able to move the body parts, and with a little tinkering the feet were in the right place and I got the pose I wanted.

Thanks Dart! And Fenric! :) That was a neat proof of concept for me on how to take an animation/aniblock and then select a frame I like and make it a pose I can use going forward in the future (I'm sure most others already knew how to do this, but it was the first time I had tried something like this, and I was pleased how easy and straightforward it was to do).

Awesome result! Say, have you seen my post here? It is a solution on getting the aura separately without all of the 'out-of-Carrara' post work, even though the post method is actually probably nicer, as you'll get more control over the final effect ;)
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Oh yeah!!! Ride that wave, HW!!!

heh, yes, instead of being there I am 'being there ' :)

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Awesome DUDU, that worked great! :) I really appreciate it (here's the pic of the effect layer for it below)

nice work Jon

edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:

hya Mark, what is that font in the lower image? - great effect !

edited December 1969

Stezza said:

Here is the Colossus of Rhodes I put together this morning..

I used the boats & buildings from Carrara's object library, made my own building with columns and built the wall & piers that Colossus is standing on using primitives and modifying in the vertex room..

The water I downloaded from EvilProducers site ( thanks EP )
    see this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55137/

The background mountains are from mmoirs set found in the store

and I used Genesis and added the Rangers bow & quiver by 3DU and used the apron from one of the Genesis sets and retextured the lot with a metal shader that also comes included with carrara ..

Postwork is allowed and encouraged.. see the last image

This is just a quick & dirty example of what can be done with relative ease to get a render done, so don't be put off by having to model complex items & stuff..

Use your content you have bought off DAZ or anywhere else, retexture it or anything else you may want to do with it in the modelling room ... seemple .. yes?

and if you get stuck.. just ask in this thread with your WiPs ( work in progress screen shots )

that's wonderful, okay you win I give up ;)

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

It's one of my favorite handwriting fonts called Architect's Daughter. It's a free (for non-commercial use) font by Kimberly Geswein who makes a lot of really neat fonts.

http://www.dafont.com/architects-daughter.font

edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    head wax said:

It's one of my favorite handwriting fonts called Architect's Daughter. It's a free (for non-commercial use) font by Kimberly Geswein who makes a lot of really neat fonts.

http://www.dafont.com/architects-daughter.font

Thanks Mark, appreciate that ! !

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:

Awesome result! Say, have you seen my post here? It is a solution on getting the aura separately without all of the 'out-of-Carrara' post work, even though the post method is actually probably nicer, as you'll get more control over the final effect ;)

I did try that method, but it actually seemed to make the aura invisible too, so couldn't use it that way, but just doing an additional render pass and compositing it with the image worked just fine :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Stezza said:

Here is the Colossus of Rhodes I put together this morning..

I used the boats & buildings from Carrara's object library, made my own building with columns and built the wall & piers that Colossus is standing on using primitives and modifying in the vertex room..

The water I downloaded from EvilProducers site ( thanks EP )
    see this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55137/

The background mountains are from mmoirs set found in the store

and I used Genesis and added the Rangers bow & quiver by 3DU and used the apron from one of the Genesis sets and retextured the lot with a metal shader that also comes included with carrara ..

Postwork is allowed and encouraged.. see the last image

This is just a quick & dirty example of what can be done with relative ease to get a render done, so don't be put off by having to model complex items & stuff..

Use your content you have bought off DAZ or anywhere else, retexture it or anything else you may want to do with it in the modelling room ... seemple .. yes?

and if you get stuck.. just ask in this thread with your WiPs ( work in progress screen shots )

that's wonderful, okay you win I give up ;)

lol

seriously though, I'm jealous that I can't put entries in to have a crack at some of Stonemasons products

but really happy that all you Carrara users have the opportunity to get some great renders entered for a chance at them..

Already some great info is starting to come through... your WiPs are always great to look at to see the progression and thought processes that go into a render.

Keep them coming ;-)

edited December 1969

Chichen Itza project updates... :-)

model2.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 666K
    model1.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 875K
    edited December 1969

Oooh! Neat one Pimpy. Looking forward to it.

I've become swamped with a paying video gig, so I may be limited (yet again :down: ) with what I can do.

edited December 1969

Oooh! Neat one Pimpy. Looking forward to it.

I've become swamped with a paying video gig, so I may be limited (yet again :down: ) with what I can do.

Thank you EP!
    I'm sorry that you have little time ... but I hope you will find the way to participate in this contest ... ;-)