Carrara Challenge XVII - Wonder of my World - WiPs Thread

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

all single images where rendered then saved as a png file and added in post using PSE13

also used Ron's brushes

Australiana.jpg
    800 x 600 - 553K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

You should get a job with Australia's tourism bureau.

Great job!

• shlomi laszloshlomi laszlo Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

a depth map from the v4+centurion+creature creator & m4+lm spartan

used to make this pediment.

partenon1_pediment.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    edited December 1969

this was used for the depth map.

minotaur1.png
    1280 x 960 - 464K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

You should get a job with Australia's tourism bureau.

Great job!

Stezza should be the tourism bureau! One man show! You call that a knife? Now this is a knife!

edited December 1969

Wonderful idea shalom I, I like!

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

I have started to work on the fjord itself...

I bought the Ground Control plugin from DCG ( http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=7 )
    and got a .dem file from here http://kartverket.no/Kart/Gratis-kartdata/Gratis-kartdata-fra-kartverket/

They have data for all of Norway in size of 50x50 km, and with an accuracy of 10 meter.
    You have to register, to get them, and most of the site is in Norwegian, but its free...

There are still some work on the shader to do..

Untitled-2.jpg
    1242 x 1080 - 609K
    Doc1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Schlomi - Creative way to make a relief. Excellent idea. Will make a great temple front. Is it one of the "original 7" wonders? I know that a few were temples.

Varsel - just curious, are the real world heightmaps just for Norway, or do they have more of the Earth? Curious because I have a couple of ideas bouncing around in my head. I have seen some for the Rocky Mountain region of the U.S., but I don't remember if they had the resolution I wanted at the time. In any case, your scene is coming along very well.

edited December 1969

It's getting close.. only one week to get your WiPs and entries in..

Then like 2 dogs in a foreign country I'll bugger off :-)

and for those just looking and haven't got Carrara 8.5Pro, it's only $65 ( PlatClub members ) and you get a heap of stuff included..

Still time for that late thought to get WiP'ed and posted ;-)

ENTRY THREAD OPEN
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56009/

edited May 2015

I'm in a silly mood (what else is new?). Thinking of some way to do a reverse King Kong, 8th Wonder of the World render. Here is a little experimentation using RawArt's chimp, the 3D Universe Biplane, and the empire state building from the Carrara bowser. I don't know, it might be better to play with the scene in which Kong was chained up on the broadway stage with "8th Wonder of the World" on the sign.

Bottom line - thinking along the lines of giant human running amok among a civilization of apes. Might drop the whole idea.

Cain_Kong_WIP_1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 36K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Schlomi - Creative way to make a relief. Excellent idea. Will make a great temple front. Is it one of the "original 7" wonders? I know that a few were temples.

Varsel - just curious, are the real world heightmaps just for Norway, or do they have more of the Earth? Curious because I have a couple of ideas bouncing around in my head. I have seen some for the Rocky Mountain region of the U.S., but I don't remember if they had the resolution I wanted at the time. In any case, your scene is coming along very well.

The link I gave is only for Norway.
    But I did some (quickly) research and there might be possible to find DEM (digital elevation model) data from the different countries national mapping or geographical entities ... :coolsmirk:
    I don't have time until Monday to do some more research.

edited December 1969

For the U.S., the geological service (USGS) has free elevation data for the country. There seems to be a couple of different DEM formats - and some higher resolution maps might be extra - but www.usgs.gov has a lot for free. Not sure if the DCG plugin needs any adjustments before loading, but I bet most of the data can work well if one reads the documentation. I suspect many other countries have similar data available.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,344
    edited December 1969

Final renders.
    1st render is straight out of Carrara. Same as before but the shaders for the rocks were changed from a multi-colour quartz look to a grey rock which was generated from Filter Forge.
    2nd render is with the post-work added. Water caustics as per EPs suggestion. Water Caustic texture also generated from Filter Forge. Added light beams effect as the caustics effect decreased the light beams of the Carrara render.

Humpback_Whale_5_final.png
    1950 x 1463 - 4M
    Humpback_Whale_5D.png
    1950 x 1463 - 3M
    edited December 1969

nice work Bunyip :)

heres mine pre post and post post ;)

insects.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 517K
    insectwips.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 579K
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Chichen Itza new update

last_settings4.jpg
    2000 x 1400 - 2M
    last_settings3.jpg
    2000 x 1400 - 2M
    last_settings2.jpg
    1920 x 1037 - 1M
    last_settings1.jpg
    1920 x 1035 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Looks wonderful Pimpy! Congrats!

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Looks wonderful Pimpy! Congrats!

Hi Head wax,
    Thank you very much!

edited December 1969

pleasure

here's mine finished

"The Butterfly Jar' - in it two boys discover one of the wonders of the world when a butterfly escapes from the laboratory killing jar and alights delicately on his would be murderer's palm.

insects2POST.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 3M
    insects2scene.jpg
    1156 x 1022 - 249K
    insects2PREPOST.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,344
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Headwax

Glad you liked it.

The scene with your surfers camp is my favorite but the boys with the insect collection brings back some memories.

Pimpy
    Love your modeling skills, pyramid looks great.

Regards, Bunyip

edited December 1969

Thanks Bunyip ;) mine is just fluff!

edited December 1969

Here is the required setup for my picture.
    For the lights, I am using one main light (to simulate the sun) and one light-dome from Tim Payne ( http://www.sharecg.com/v/30481/browse/5/3D-Model/Light-Dome-presets-for-Carrara-6 ) to simulate the ambient lights.

The different objects in the picture has been modelled separately, and then imported into the main setup.

For the Fjord, I did travel a bit further north, to Aurlandsfjorden, in Sognefjorden. This part of the fjord is narrow and steep.
    The final picture is not photo-real, but somewhat accurate.

Untitled-3.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 557K
    Untitled-2.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 653K
    edited December 1969

And here is the kiosk, with the two children.....

Doc1.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 96K
    edited December 1969

just noticed i need a setup snap shot

here it is

parthenon_set_up.png
    1280 x 1024 - 397K
    edited May 2015

Really cool stuff going on this month. I kind of feel a bit embarrassed entering as I haven't put nearly the work into this that I wanted to.

Anyway, I wanted to try and use the cloud alpha map for the earth's atmosphere/cloud sphere to drive a surface replicator with either vertex clouds, or volumetric clouds. all attempts failed epically.

What I did instead as arrange and group volumetric clouds in a pinwheel shape with taller ones towards the center to suggest thunderheads. They also don't look that great, but I believe that I am on the right track. I am out of time though, so what I have will have to do.

The basic scene is fairly simple. I use a bit of forced perspective for the earth and the sun, as you can see by the screen caps. The sun is based on Holly's terrific photo-real sun tutorial at the Carrara Cafe. The bulb light parented to the sun model provides the sun light. The other lights are fill lights to suggest star shine or reflected moonlight on the night side of the earth.

The first render is the raw render and the second render is the post-worked render. Some of my layer passes didn't render correctly, such as the pass that would have rendered my 3D aura, and the glow pass, which is probably because the earth surface is within two other spheres with alpha maps.

Because a couple of my passes didn't work correctly (as I mentioned above) postwork was minimal and mostly consisted of trying to better match the volumetric clouds with the cloud image maps.

Shuttle2-post.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Shuttle2-raw.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Picture_3.png
    1017 x 540 - 354K
    Picture_2.png
    900 x 660 - 327K
    Picture_1.png
    919 x 759 - 347K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    head wax said:

Pimpy
    Love your modeling skills, pyramid looks great.

Regards, Bunyip

Thank you very much Bunyip :-)

edited December 1969

Such great work being done in this challenge.. I hope you are all enjoying doing it.. looking at the final renders of the entries I think you have. :-)

Earwig time:

It's astounding
    Time is fleeting
    Madness takes it's toll...

But listen closely...

Not for very much longer...

I've got to keep control.

I remember doing the Render
    Thinking those moments when
    The pixels would hit me

And Carrara would be calling

Let's do the Render again
    Let's do the Render again

edited December 1969

Ha ha I love this forum, I just got a really nutty email and I thought 'ah dart has finally lost it, lost it. lost it" but I see it is Stezza - the stress is getting to you eh? :)

Evil, yes you should be ashamed of yourself, the shuttle is upside down and all the astronauts and their food and stuff will fall out - which is bad cause they cost a lot of money to train...

edited December 1969

First race is this weekend and it's pi$$ing down!!

fugly_dog_tail_wind.jpg
    500 x 557 - 227K
    edited December 1969

cant you get water proof pigeons? what if you spray them with WD40?

edited May 2015

head wax said:
    cant you get water proof pigeons? what if you spray them with WD40?

That just repels water. To truly waterproof your various fowls' you need to find the nearest oil spill and dunk them in until they get a uniform coating of tar*.

*Not recommended if the bird is supposed to fly, breath or just live.

Post edited by evilproducer on