Can these Corrosion shaders be workable in Carrara 8.5

rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
edited May 2015 in Carrara Discussion

http://www.daz3d.com/dark-corrosion-shaders

They cost $1.99 with PC + account. A bargain, if they will work.

A bargain, as I need to make some corroded looking stuff.

Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Probably not as they are Daz Studio shaders and description days nothing about textures that could have been used in Carrara.

Good news is that these 2 tutorials are free

http://carraracafe.com/tutorials/rust/

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited May 2015

You could always texture a plane with them in DAZ studio and render it out as a texture

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
    edited December 1969

That's good news, Wendy.

Recently, I bought a Fenric package.

http://www.daz3d.com/shader-power-tools-for-carrara

Does anyone know where I can find information on how to use it?

I also bought and found these for Carrara 6. My suspicion is they wll work in 8.5.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

rampart1 said:
    That's good news, Wendy.

I also bought and found these for Carrara 6. My suspicion is they wll work in 8.5.

I have skin doctor, shader doctor and multi shader editor and they all work like a charm in C 8.5
    It's the kind of time savers I enjoy.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

rampart1 said:
    That's good news, Wendy.

Here is his site: http://fenric.com/wordpress/store/products/category/carrara-plugins/

there are some information on the various plug-ins in the package there.

Reminds me I need to go make some PDF's of them so I have them local

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited May 2015

Hi Rampart1 :)

Carrara's shader system is pretty powerful once you begin to delve into it.
    there are a load of patterns and natural functions as well as a range of fractal nose effects, plus environmentally based shaders with options for slope / height etc

Rusty and crusty can be done in Carrars's shader system quite easily with a mixer. (see pic)

My advice would be to look at the shaders system you have in carrara,. see what it does, and learn how to build different shaders
    look at some of the example shaders which come with carrara,.
    look at the "figure" shaders which are built for use in carrara, or some of the shaders in any carrara product you have, as examples of the type of settings you can use in your own shaders.

Fenrics Shader "Power" tools are, as the name suggest, advanced tools to expand some of carara's shader functionality. plus a couple of automated helper plugins to translate non Carrara shaders,.. better than carrara does as standard.

While these are really good, and I'd recommend you look at Fenrics pose tools, and the ERC plugin, and the BVH exporter (if you're creating animation.

When you reach a limitation, then you go get a plugin.

Also, Sparrowhawke3D has some amazing Carrara plugins for free

Regarding the product you asked about.:

The shaders for DS,. use the "LIE" (Layered Image Editor) in DS,. so, it;'s technically a DS only product,.
    but an image is an image,. and if you have an image editor, like Photoshop / Paintshop pro / GIMP etc.. then you can use those images to create your own textures, cloning areas of rust or scratches to create a new texture map, perhaps based on your models UV layout .

Filterforge and "EyeCandy" (from Alienskin) are also really great texture map creation tools.

rusty_anchor.jpg
    1264 x 717 - 189K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Also look at Digital Carver's Guild's plugin Anything Goos. It can give a corroded effect on edges & corners.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited May 2015

As someone who is allergic to plugins and procedurals, I would tend to recommend a slightly different approach.

I would search the internet for "rust" images/textures. There are probably something like 2.6 trillion images of rust out there that can be used as awesome textures.

And if you're really in the mood to get fancy, you can combine multiple images, or portions of images, and modify them in terms of color and bump and specular and on and on. There are tons of compositing and image manipulation tools out there that can help.

My allergy to procedurals is partly due to the following issues:

They aren't transportable between applications. You first have to do some monkey motion to bake them into an image or whatever. So why not start with an image in the first place? :) :)

Also, they tend to look like procedurals, which means they tend to have just a pseudo-random noise texture that doesn't really look that random, or account for the real-life causes and effects of rusting. It just looks like, well, a procedural formula. Of course you can tweak it, but the amount of time it can take can be astronomical compared to using real life images as a start.

Oh, and unlike most plugins, images you grab off the 'net are free... :) :)

Just a thought....

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,344
    edited December 1969

A website that offers free photos for use:-

http://www.morguefile.com/archive

and a search for rust:-
    http://www.morguefile.com/archive#/?q=rust&sort=pop&photo_lib=morgueFile

Personally I also like Filter Forge, many of the images are photographic quality and you have an option to tile them when they are generated and an option to generate your different image types from the one image.

edited December 1969

I suppose you could also get out your camera (cellphone, whatever...) and go for a walk and take some photos of whatever rust you can find. Might even get a little fresh air and exercise... :) :)

What a concept !! :) :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I suppose you could also get out your camera (cellphone, whatever...) and go for a walk and take some photos of whatever rust you can find. Might even get a little fresh air and exercise... :) :)

What is this thing called fresh air? or exercise? Hmm, :coolsmirk:

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

What is this thing called fresh air? or exercise? Hmm, :coolsmirk:

Fresh air is that stuff you render in Bryce, and exercise is one of those tutorials on how to render, right?

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Rusty and crusty can be done in Carrars's shader system quite easily with a mixer. (see pic)

That's a nice result you got Andy. But am I the only one who looks at that very long list of shader channels and gets a chill down my spine? :) :)

It had to take MANY hours of tweaking and experimenting, correct? I'm not sure I'd describe it as "quite easily". :) :)

Unless of course somebody enjoys the challenge of playing with the shaders and experimenting for hours to see what you can get. Personally, it seems to me like an awful lot of work for something that can be done a LOT quicker, and with much better results.

But whatever floats your boat, I suppose. :)

edited May 2015

Hi Joe :)

That shader took about 3 minutes to build,. It's what I'd call "Lite"for a pure colour shader ...But you're right it takes much longer to learn how and where to put different colours or functions.

But,. :)

It's not a case of Procedural shaders, versus photo texture maps.

You can use photographic images, instead of simple colours in a shader, (which really makes shader building, easier, and faster,) and use the procedural functions to "composite" them to create a much more complex shader system which could be used in more ways than a traditional single texture,map as it's less reliant on UV's , since the shader procedurals could include terrain shaders etc.

There's also the new Multi-layer shader where you can use simple Blending modes to combine images, and you can still use other shader functions within that texture map procedural colours mix

so, for example, you could take an image of a Brick wall, and then build a shader, which multiplies a fractal noise
    procedural, to add Dirt, moss, or staining effects

Edited to add,. Although the shader tree (list) can look daunting at first glance,. there's a lot of Copy and Paste involved in the process of building a shader, so,... it's not difficult to build shaders,... it just looks complicated. :)

In the image below,. the only texture maps used were the Genesis skin texture maps.
    Everything was modelled in carrara and shaded in carrara using only colour procedurals.
    I also made the diving suit in Carrara.

The reason for doing this scene was as a refresher, since I've not been using Carrara for a while.
    I modelled the fish for a simple modelling tutorial, and wanted to add to that by texturing, uv mappng, rigging and animating it
    I kind of got hooked on shader building again so I decided to do everything in shaders.

AquaMarina.jpg
    1280 x 853 - 803K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Regarding the product you asked about.:

The shaders for DS,. use the "LIE" (Layered Image Editor) in DS,. so, it;'s technically a DS only product, but an image is an image,. and if you have an image editor, like Photoshop / Paintshop pro / GIMP etc.. then you can use those images to create your own textures, cloning areas of rust or scratches to create a new texture map, perhaps based on your models UV layout .

That's generally true and I do that all the time with many of the other "DS Only" shaders, but these particular DS shaders that the OP asked about are not image based - I have them and took a look and they don't come with or use any images - I suspect they were built using studio's shader mixer, so they will only work in studio, and probably only in the native 3Delight renderer.

edited December 1969

HI MDO2010 :)

My bad, I stand corrected,. I should have checked,. :(

I think Daz3D Studio has a built in baking system, which could mean that it' still usable even as baked out texture maps.

Carrara needs"Baker" which is one of the few plug-ins I use regularly.
    You can also bake out procedural shaders as Texture maps without using baker,.
    Apply your shader to a "Plane" and just export the plane as an OBJ, Select (convert procedural shaders to texture maps) in the OBJ export options, ", Save the resulting texture map, and recycle the plane.obj and plane.mat files

Not as good as filter forge,. :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI MDO2010 :)

My bad, I stand corrected,. I should have checked,. :(

I think Daz3D Studio has a built in baking system, which could mean that it' still usable even as baked out texture maps.

Carrara needs"Baker" which is one of the few plug-ins I use regularly.
    You can also bake out procedural shaders as Texture maps without using baker,.
    Apply your shader to a "Plane" and just export the plane as an OBJ, Select (convert procedural shaders to texture maps) in the OBJ export options, ", Save the resulting texture map, and recycle the plane.obj and plane.mat files

Not as good as filter forge,. :)

Also not good if you use elevation functions in your shader that is applied to your plane. ;-)
    edited December 1969

One other perspective on a way to obtain a high quality rust texture on your object comes from someone I mentioned in another thread...Andrew Price.

Here's a tutorial he did on making a rust texture, but his approach involves an extension of what I suggested, and that involves manually painting the texture using a reference image of real rust. The reason is because it gives you maxium control over the quality of your texture. Assuming you want that, of course... :) :)

He, like most experts and professionals, is also a strong proponent of using reference images for any project you work on. "You can predict the quality of a CG artist by the size of his reference image library".

Anyway, even if you don't use Blender, this guy has some very intelligent work methods in general and does some really nice work.

http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/how-to-make-rust/

edited December 1969

BTW, not to derail the thread too much, but speaking of reference images....

Below is a reference image I found after a quick search which gives a good idea about how an underwater scene might look. Of particular interest is the general blue cast...

And I reposted Andy's underwater image to give a comparison to give you some ideas about what things you might consider.

Andy.jpg
    1280 x 853 - 784K
    Biscayne_underwater.jpg
    2000 x 1339 - 2M
    edited December 1969

By the way, back to the rust texture....

If you take some time to watch Andrew's rust tutorial, and especially the section where he discusses the use of nodal based tools to generate materials and textures, and the incredible flexibility you have, you may never again go back to Carrara procedurals and Carrara's incredibly limited texturing tools. Especially when other apps allow you to have instant, realtime rendered feedback as you adjust all the parameters...

edited December 1969

needs more of your own renders to illustrate JM

edited December 1969

needs more of your own renders to illustrate JM

Oh really? I thought what I posted was pretty self-explanatory. Anything in particular you need help with?

Oh wait...

Maybe you don't really care whatsoever about the points I'm making, or having anything clarified. It's all about...well....

Yeah, that's it...Carrara forum...I keep forgetting :) :) :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

If you want to insult other individuals in violation of the TOS, could you please do so without making generalizations insulting the rest of us?

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

If you want to insult other individuals in violation of the TOS, could you please do so without making generalizations insulting the rest of us?

That ship sailed a long time ago....

:-)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited May 2015

Ha ha , it's the same old story,

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

this ship?

crew.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M
    edited December 1969

this ship?

I think M4 would like on ride on that boat! ;-)

Is that the boat to Tuna Town? I always thought that would be a canoe. :red:

edited December 1969

Yes is 10 different sexy V4 pirates replicted 150 x
    had to use the Pretty 3D outfits I bought, some more modestly dressed
    gonna rob the Portuguese ship I grabbed from Faveral today and kidnap the able bodied seamen,
    just posted a render because . .

edited December 1969

We seem to have drifted off into the realms of colour correction and post production, when the focus of the thread, was the Shaders,. not the colour tone.

The reason for posting that ocean scene image was as an example of "procedural shaders".
    I had expected any critique to be about those shaders,. rather than the focus being on the image from Carrara, without any post production.

this is a work in progress shot, not a final composite.

Let's try to stay on topic, rather than drift off.

Anything more relevant to the thread subject ?