Can these Corrosion shaders be workable in Carrara 8.5

2»

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

this ship?

Wendy you never answered my question. Was there something in particular you needed clarification or help on?

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    We seem to have drifted off into the realms of colour correction and post production, when the focus of the thread, was the Shaders,. not the colour tone.

The reason for posting that ocean scene image was as an example of "procedural shaders".
    I had expected any critique to be about those shaders,. rather than the focus being on the image from Carrara, without any post production.

this is a work in progress shot, not a final composite.

Let's try to stay on topic, rather than drift off.

Anything more relevant to the thread subject ?

I apologize.

I made ONE post dealing with reference images, continuing a point I was making with regards to rust textures. Unfortunately, it wasn't an image of rust. I deeply apologize.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited May 2015

this ship?

Wendy you never answered my question. Was there something in particular you needed clarification or help on?

Jo it's obvious Wendy is asking you to provide an image that you feel is better than 3dages' - that image being your own, and not one you have used of someone else's. Of course, if you feel that you are unable to provide one, then that.s okay. After all this is just the carrara forum, nothing serious like the other forums you obviously frequent.
    Mind you, a lot of us like to use our own images to illustrate points, but that's just us.

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Jo it's obvious Wendy is asking you to provide an image that you feel is better than 3dages' - that image being your own, and not one you have used of someone else's.

And my point is "why??".

Is she interested in learning and issues, or, as you say, is it the same old story of "oh yeah, well you said something slightly critical of my friend's image and that upsets me so now I'm mad at you so I'll respond with 'oh yeah, well if you're so good then post something better'".

If it's just the standard knee-jerk emotional response, then I'm not interested in playing that game. But if there's a genuine interest in issues and, as 3DAge says, being a student and learning, then I'm willing to oblige.

But I'm guessing it's like you say...the same old story. Hence my criticism of some of the attitudes here.

Am I wrong?

edited May 2015

And BTW Headwax, as usual, your participation in this thread has been merely to sit on the sidelines and take potshots in support of your friends, but, unlike me, you've provided no input whatsoever to the "rust shader" issue.

Don't you think that you should, as 3DAge says, not stray from the main topic of the thread, and maybe provide something useful?

Or once again, is my criticism of some of the folks in this forum justified?

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

It is always a mistake on my behalf clicking view for the hidden posts
    I shall in future try to refrain from doing so

edited December 1969

It is always a mistake on my behalf clicking view for the hidden posts
    I shall in future try to refrain from doing so

I guess that answers my question, huh? :) :) :) :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

DAZ 3D TOS bulllet point #2

Criticism should be directed towards the subject or topic at hand, rather than an individual. Posts which make blanket, unreasoned criticisms - of other members, of DAZ 3D, of products or applications, or of merchants and their products - may be removed in a general effort to control negativity.
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

And BTW Headwax, as usual, your participation in this thread has been merely to sit on the sidelines and take potshots in support of your friends, but, unlike me, you've provided no input whatsoever to the "rust shader" issue.

Don't you think that you should, as 3DAge says, not stray from the main topic of the thread, and maybe provide something useful?

Or once again, is my criticism of some of the folks in this forum justified?

Jo you asked a question, I gave you the answer. Wether you like the answer is irrelevant to me. Wendy asked you for a sample of your work. Most people use their own work here when they post. I see you have used 3dage's image in your other thread. I am surprised that he gave you permission.. As an aside, It's always also polite to credit an image source. But you know all these things as a 'professional'.

Cheers

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Most people use their own work here when they post. I see you have used 3dage's image in your other thread. I am surprised that he gave you permission.. As an aside, It's always also polite to credit an image source. But you know all these things as a 'professional'.

Cheers

Well, kinda...in fact, 3DAge, in my thread on compositing, used an image I posted and modified it without asking my permission. However, nobody mentioned that, or asked him if he obtained my permission.

Presumably, this is an environment of mutual learning, correct? We're all students, as 3DAge himself mentioned recently.

But in this forum, none of that matters. Here, for some people, hypocrisy is irrelevant if its targeted against someone you don't like, right?

As the TOS says, and I've said 1,000 times, lets just stick to the issues rather than trying to knock someone down or trip them up just because we decided we don't like them. Whether I take the time to make a scene and render and post an image to support what I'm saying is totally irrelevant. Nobody really cares, including you or Wendy. Unless it's used as an opportunity to somehow try to discredit me, correct?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

I'm going to attempt to clear the air before moving on

Firstly,. Joe is correct,. I "re-posted" one of the images in his thread,., the reson for doing so was to correct an error, or omission in the image.
    The subject focus was colour correction, and Joe had posted an image where he had changed the dolour of a figures dress, but, had accidentally missed the reflection on the floor and vehicle.
    I corrected this and reposted the image with the following.

(Excerpt from Joes thread)
    Me
    Hope you don’t mind me posting.

Joe
    As a matter of fact I love it !! Finally someone actively participating. It gets a bit tiring talking to myself here…

In tthis thread , I posted an example of a scene built using primarily colour based procedural shaders. (since that was the subject of the thread)

Joe posted a reference image from the web (i think) of a seascape, and highlighted the difference between this photo and my render.
    of the blue light cast on objects, and intense light rays.

I was confused by this change of focus from shaders, to the colourisation of the image.
    To my mind that's part of post production. ..not shader construction.

Hopefully, I made it clear that my image was not a post-worked image, and was a work in progress, ....but I also suggested that Joe "Show" the process of making the image I posted, more like the seascape photo which he posted. .
    I figured that it would be an interesting project for his compositing thread.

Initially I wasn't going to take that image, at that stage, and post work it, ....it's not complete.
    but,.. I ended up playing with it anyway,.
    However, I found myself being influenced by trying to match the photo to the detriment of the finer details of the image,.
    Not a good idea. so I stopped there.

The Photo which Joe posted, is similar to my scene, in angle and general landscape direction, but the scene I'm working on is not that photo.

I'll post my final scene when it's ready.
    in the meantime :)
    This is my post worked version of the image I posted here. rip it apart if you want, but lets' move on and stop the anger.
    it benefits no one.

UltraMarine_post.jpg
    1280 x 853 - 640K
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited May 2015

Andy, very beautiful image, but you should not to play the game of JM which has no other goal than to irritate everyone.
    It is of corrosion that one spoke?

Post edited by DUDU on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited May 2015

Moving on, ..or Back to the subject of shaders.

Rust was the initial subject,. so I played around to create a very basic example of a painted surface with rusty patches.

A colour gradient with a fractal noise as the influence for where the colours appear. is probably the simplest method.

If you right click, and "Copy" the "fractal noise" then make a Mixer in the Highlight, Shininess, and Bump channels,. then you can use two Values (value 0-100) in both source slots of the Mixer, and paste the Fractal noise in as the Blend for each mixer.
    this gives you two slider controls (value) in each channel which offers greater control over the effect of the fractal noise,.

There's also an option within the fractal noise to Invert that function. which in the colour channel, would give you a rusty sphere with Blue patches

In the Highlight and shininess channels, the two Values will control the amount of light and the Spread of light on the surface,
    and in the Bum channel, the two values allow you to control the High and low areas more accurately.

You'll also need to adjust the Contrast of the fractal noise to make it more of a pure black and white shader to give you more control of the values.

Bear in mind that the "overall" (Bump) function for your shader is in the Top level of the shader list, ...not directly in the Bump channel

To take that shader a step further,. you could create a Mixer, where the main fractal noise is used as the blend between other shader functions, to perhaps add more detail to the rust, or add more colour variations in the Paint colour.

rust_shader2.jpg
    1064 x 620 - 158K
    rust_gradient.jpg
    1048 x 630 - 133K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Great info Andy.

For those of you that are interested, SukyL did an outstanding job when she hosted a Carrara challenge where the theme was pulp magazine covers. One of the requirements was to create a rust shader for the scene. There are some really good tips and examples.

Here's a link to the WIP thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47148/

Here's a link to the entry thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47729/

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,344
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Moving on, ..or Back to the subject of shaders.

Rust was the initial subject,. so I played around to create a very basic example of a painted surface with rusty patches.

A colour gradient with a fractal noise as the influence for where the colours appear. is probably the simplest method.

If you right click, and "Copy" the "fractal noise" then make a Mixer in the Highlight, Shininess, and Bump channels,. then you can use two Values (value 0-100) in both source slots of the Mixer, and paste the Fractal noise in as the Blend for each mixer.
    this gives you two slider controls (value) in each channel which offers greater control over the effect of the fractal noise,.

There's also an option within the fractal noise to Invert that function. which in the colour channel, would give you a rusty sphere with Blue patches

In the Highlight and shininess channels, the two Values will control the amount of light and the Spread of light on the surface,
    and in the Bum channel, the two values allow you to control the High and low areas more accurately.

You'll also need to adjust the Contrast of the fractal noise to make it more of a pure black and white shader to give you more control of the values.

Bear in mind that the "overall" (Bump) function for your shader is in the Top level of the shader list, ...not directly in the Bump channel

To take that shader a step further,. you could create a Mixer, where the main fractal noise is used as the blend between other shader functions, to perhaps add more detail to the rust, or add more colour variations in the Paint colour.

Hello 3DAGE

Many thank-yous for posting this, greatly appreciated, was considering using this approach in the recent Carrara Challenge but still learning the in's and out's of the shader system.

Regards, Bunyip

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    I'm going to attempt to clear the air before moving on

Firstly,. Joe is correct,. I "re-posted" one of the images in his thread,., the reson for doing so was to correct an error, or omission in the image.

Andy,
    Like I say, it's not a problem with me. But you might want to discuss with Headwax. Apparently he has a problem with people modifying and re-posting other people's images here. I think he said something about "we usually only post our own work here" or something like that, and we should get permission first. Might be a TOS issue I'm not aware of or something? Not sure. Maybe Chohole or another admin can let us know.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

As J2MK notes, another person's image should not be reposted, in its original form or in modified form, without permission.

edited May 2015

chohole said:
    As J2MK notes, another person's image should not be reposted, in its original form or in modified form, without permission.

Oh okay thanks much for that. I didn't know. I thought since 3DAge did it with my image a while ago, he kind of set a precedent so I just followed along.

Sorry to anyone whose image I modified and re-posted.

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on