BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►Early Summer Edition◄◄◄ Theme is »ᴥᴥ» MOVIE SCENES «ᴥᴥ«

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105
    edited December 1969

Thanks head wax.

@Fishtales:
    I is really cool, but I miss the shadows in the picture.

There are none in the original screen shot either. It looks to me as if they took it at midday with fill lights to lighten up the foreground and then filled in the sky and the two suns and darkened it post production.

• drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821
    edited December 1969

Okay, in the original, the shadows are really so weak that they are difficult to see. Maybe it really is up to the two suns. You have the scene captured great.

• vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

Sandy - I was wondering who would do Close Encounters and the 2 moons in Star Wars. Classic movies... I though about making Close Encounters and the mush potato scene kept coming to my head... Well done

Chohole - I agree, why not different people doing the same movie, It would be nice to see different interpretations. And please, go ahead and do Gone with the wind.

Drachenlords - Great job in Argonaths. Although for the life of me I can not spot the little mistake

adbc - Really nice. And a good choice

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

For this one, the movie is "All Quiet on the Western Front", which is about the horrors of war, both physically and psychologically. It was made in 1930, before color had been developed, and that's a good thing for this movie, as the gore, if in color, might have turned too many audiences of that time period away. It won two Oscars that year ... Best Picture, and Best Director. In the Kinema Junpo Awards of Japan in 1931 it won Best Foreign Language Film - Sound.

Many famous names were in this film. Names like Wolheim, Ayres, Wray, Rogers, Gleason, Goodwin, and Mercer. I know many of you recognized those names, yet, not for the people in this film, but for their descendants that went on to their own fame.

I was going to do a scene not 10 minutes in to the movie, where, (after a rousing oration from their professor about the historic glory of battle victory, and their county's need for good, young men to secure those victories, working the boys up into a frenzy, strewing books and papers all about the classroom), the naive boys go marching off to their recruitment centers, leaving the empty classroom a mess. Except for the crowd outside the classroom windows, gathered to wave on the soldiers marching off to their deaths or worse, I would have needed no people to dress, as the crowds could have been done with just the backs of their heads, and the soldiers just a bunch of bayonetted rifles in view beyond and above those heads.

However, this movie was the first to depict extremely realistic battle scenes, where movie goers were certain they were witnessing actual battle, and death. Though still mild by standards of today, (where movies such as "Braveheart", "The Messenger", "Saving Private Ryan", "The Alamo", and "We Were Soldiers,(Brothers, Fathers, and Sons)" vividly depict decapitation and dismemberment, yet still are suitable for television airing), "...Western Front" was decried for the scene I chose to do, which had entire audiences leaving the theaters in states of nausea and mental anguish, having been convinced they had witnessed the actual disintegration of a man. Due to this scene, which is about 45 minutes into the movie, it was never aired on television until the 1980's.

The scene is of the front lines of battle at night, where flashes from guns, bombs, and mortar fire light the view for the defending soldiers in their trenches. As the attacking soldiers approach the berms before the trenches, one starts to climb the barbed wire, and is struck by a direct hit of mortar fire. When the smoke clears, and other flashes light the view, all that is seen of him is depicted below, held in place by the barbs of the wires.

For this I used DAZ Studio 2 for poor Michael, and Bryce 5.5. The sandbags came from CGShare, but I built the rest. The only post-work was the conversion to grayscale, and compiling of the stereo view using Paint Shop Pro, to present it to you in two versions ... one for "crossed eye" viewing, and one for those fortunate enough to have a Stereo-Scope type of device.

The title is simply "Western Front". I hope I'm not too far outside the box.

WesternFront_StereoScopeStereo_2000MaxPxl.jpg
    2000 x 521 - 161K
    WesternFront_CrossedEyeStereo_2000MaxPxl.jpg
    2000 x 521 - 161K
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
    edited December 1969

@drachenlords : thank you for your comment. Your entries are quite impressive.
    @vivien1 : also thanks. Your entries are cool.
    @Fishtales : your entries are very close to the originals, well done as well.
    @CTippets : I like your classic interpretation of the subject.

• Bonito LilBonito Lil Posts: 72
    edited December 1969

You guys are doing great work. I too like Chohole's idea about doing multiple interpretations of one movie.

There are some big intrusions into my normally placid life, and I'm not sure that I'll be able to generate an entry this time, but I'll definitely be watching and cheering from the bleachers. :-)

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

@drachenlords... Oblivion is very cool as is Argonaths...
    @vivian1...Everything is Awesome...is Awesome. and Tara Burning is very nice...
    @fishtales...great scene from Planet of the Apes that shocked us all... & Close Encounters is nice as well.
    @c tippetts...Dorothy's Descent...great perspective.. and All's Quiet... is very interesting...
    @adbc... Wall-E is very cute...

edited December 1969

Here's my first entry

Dorothy's Ruby Slippers

Dorothys_Ruby_Slippers_cropped.jpg
    960 x 624 - 498K
  • orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Battle of Hoth.
    Always loved this scene in the movie. Models from scifimeshes. Some post for colour correction and enhancement of the lasers.
    Some really good images from everyone so far.

Untitled-1_copy.jpg
    1200 x 678 - 398K
    edited December 1969

CTippetts. A classic film. I have seen it, a long,long long time ago...But I do seem to remember parts of it, especially the soldier caught in the barbed wire. You have made a great representation of the scene.

Mtnmen - Who can forget the red slippers. Nicely done.

Orbital - Good choice.. Very nice scene.

My third is The Battle of Hogwarts..

The Battle of Hogwarts occurs In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, for those not familiar with the subject. This is the last book and movie of the Harry Potter series. And it marks the climactic end of the Second Wizarding War within the castle and the grounds of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardy.

When Lord Voldemont learned that Harry Potter was in the castle to locate and destroy one of his final Horcruxes, he ordered every death eater and creature that had pledged loyalty to him to attack the school.

The castle is constructed with: 34 spheres, 40 cylinders, 10 piramids, 2 cones 20 capsules and 182 squares
    The dementors, using lattices and spheres.

battle_of_hogwarts1.jpg
    1754 x 881 - 251K
    edited December 1969

Very nice pictures of everyone here.

CTippetts:
    Is a very interesting implementation of the scene.

mtnmen:
    The Red Shoes on the yellow way. This scene speaks for itself.

Orbital:
    That's great. I love Star Wars and which is converted here fantastic.

vivien1:
    Harry Potter's school built in Bryce - Respect

And here is my third:

Jurassic Park

http://www.nerdlikeyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/jurassic-park-gennero-on-toilet.jpg

Jurassic_Park.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Drachenlords - Thank you. And you have captured the scene from Jurassic Park brilliantly.

edited December 1969

Haven't been on for a while, too busy making up YouTube slide show videos of pictures I have taken over the past few years of my trips around Scotland. The entries are beginning to come in now, some really good ones too. Keep them coming.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited December 1969

@chohole: I agree, doing the same scene might be nice. However, I have decided on a very different one, which is still brewing....

@drachenlords: Wonderful LOTR scene!

@Fishtales: nice sunset. But I feel the sand that is not on the hill is a bit too smooth and flat.

@adbc: Wall-E looks great, just like his love!

@CTippetts: remarkable work. And thanks for the explanation!

@mtnmen: Is that the hulk or the green witch trying to get those shoes?

@orbital: Looks like a real take from the film. A pity we cannot see the flyer going between the legs with the wire to trip them!

@vivien1: Respect for making the castle from Bryce primitives! And the dementors look scary.

@drachenlords: very well made and very scary!

My Bryce tells me that I have to have more than 9 hours patience to finally have my render!

edited December 1969

@mtnmen : I like the ruby slippers
    Thanks for your comment.
    @orbital : nice scene !
    @vivien1 : excellent Bryce modeling !
    @drachenlord : Jurassic is great !
    @hansmar : thanks for your comment.

edited May 2015

So, this is my first entry. After much thinking, I decided on The Shining, more specifically on “The Grady girls”. See point of reference: http://www.kateracculia.com/wpblog/2013/09/the-grady-girls/ . You can also read the nice blog on the difference between the book and the movie here.
    I liked this part, because it looks so normal, but still so terrifying (if you know the movie, of course). And even if you don’t, those two girls, looking like twins, just standing there, that’s already creepy.
    Of course, I could not get everything exactly the same, but I hope you recognise it.

So this is what is in here:
    * DAZ Genesis
    * Frilled dress 2 from Wilmap (https://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_products.php?cat=3)
    * G2F Paper Dress Belt from Karth and zigraphix at DAZ
    * Shoes from Karth for Genesis (at DAZ)
    * Sally Mae hair from Propchick (DAZ).
    * Lamps are Lamp N060510 by Eva Morales at Archive3d.net.
    * Doors: Door N310807 from Jacobsen Arne at Archive3d.net
    * Window at the back I think is also from Archive3D.net, but a I cannot find it anymore.
    * The curtain at the window is the “Transparent flower patterned tulle curtains” (http://renderstuff.com/free-3d-transparent-flower-patterned-tulle-curtains-model/)
    * Basic hallway form made in Bryce from primitives
    * I made the moulding boards at the floor and ceiling in Hexagon, which did take me quite some time to get correct, specifically the corners of the ceiling ones.
    * The carpet was also made in Hexagon. If you look closely, you should see that it is not just a cube.
    * The smoke detector, fire alarm and exit sign made in Bryce from primitives and other elements that came with one of my Bryce versions.
    * the wooden floor is the ground plane with a Tileable Light Wood Pattern from http://webtreats.mysitemyway.com.

There are three radial lights inside the three lamps, a small spotlight in the Exit sign and two very mild (set at strength 2) sphere fill lights.
    Rendering with Premium settings soft shadows and a little depth of field.

Title: The shining.

Edit
    Forgot to mention that the wall paper is a free textile texture from I don't remember where anymore. Most things textured in Bryce procedural textures (except the girls and their clothing, the walls and the flooring).

the_shining.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 472K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the nice comments.

@hansmar:
    Hey, this is a cool scene from The Shining. Great.

edited December 1969

@ hansmar : this is very good and so close to the reference image.

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 920
    edited June 2015

here is my first entry:

Pandora.

this is a Scene from Avatar.
    The Animals begin to help the Pandora people to fight against the enemy's of Pandora. This here is the scene when she understands that the animal is no longer an enemy for her.

Pandora.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 964K
    Post edited by Yellow Pen on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,392
    edited December 1969

Beautiful renders from everyone.

edited June 2015

@Yellow Pen: Nice Scene from Avatar.

Post edited by drachenlords on
    edited December 1969

here is my first entry:

Pandora.

this is a Scene from Avatar.
    The Animals begin to help the Pandora people to fight against the enemy's of Pandora. This here is the scene when she understands that the animal is no longer an enemy for her.

That is a really nice scene. Well done :-)

edited December 1969

@drachenlord and adbc: thanks!

@yellow pen: That scene looks very good. All kind of great elements in there!

edited December 1969

And my second entry is finished.

Where many people will not recognise the reference to my first render (certainly not without the title), but the scene was very complicated to make with all those elements, this one is the other way around. I guess everybody that has seen a movie in the last 20 years will know this.
    It was not so much work. The trees are special Bryce trees. Not too great, but hey, they are just there for perspective. The 'moon' does not have a moon texture, as you see. I did try with a moon texture, but it did not work well. This is a slightly modified Jupiter texture.
    I posed the boy in DAZ Studio (and the clothes are from DAZ as well). The bike is from Papus3d at Renderosity (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=67871). The cape, the basket and the creature in the basket (just a few parts) I have made in Hexagon.
    I used several lights to create the effect on the 'moon' and around there. I also used some filters, but am not really sure whether they do a lot. I did not want to play too much to see.

So, for those of you (anybody?) who does not recognise the scene: it is "E.T., the Extraterrestrial"

ET_flying.jpg
    1042 x 695 - 587K
    edited December 1969

I nearly did that one too :-) Very well executed.

edited December 1969

hansmar - Thank you. I saw the shining with one eye closed due to my inability to watch scary movies..But I do remember this scene. You really have put a big effort and the result shows.... Great job
    And the second entry (Absolute classis) Also executed brilliantly

adbc Thank you

yellow Pen - Very nice scene from Avatar

edited December 1969

@yellow Pen : nice scene from Avatar
    @hansmar : I love ET

This is my second entry "Godzilla".
    The inspiration for that scene comes from images on the internet. It does not really match the original.
    I'm not very good at reproducing exactly the reference.

Godzilla.jpg
    990 x 595 - 120K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

good ones guys ! :-)

edited December 1969

@ hansmar:
    A very successful implementation of E.T.

@adbc

Godzilla in Tokyo, very well done. There must be an exact copy of the scene, it's your variation of this theme.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments everyone
    @orbital...Battle of Hothe Hoth... Great!
    @vivian1...Battle of Hogwarts is a fabulous use of Bryce primitives,, Great!
    @drachenlord...Jurrasic Park.. That's a great memorable scene... I just this weekend saw it again... Great image
    @hansmar...love ET..and a great image of the twins...
    @yellowpen...Pandora...just beautiful
    @adbc... Great image of Godzilla... Poor Tokyo
    Great stuff showing up here...

Here is my second entry

Title: Sonny's Dream ( I-Robot)

Sonnys_Dream_(I-Robot).jpg
    960 x 720 - 482K