Using Streets of Old London in Carrara

ncampncamp Posts: 345
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Have any of you tried Stonemason's new Streets of Old London.

When I try to open a dsf file, I get an error like:

Warning: file /data/Stonemason/StreetsOfLondon/sovRoadsCenter/sovRoadsCenter.dsf could not be found
Error: node /data/Stonemason/StreetsOfLondon/sovRoadsCenter/sovRoadsCenter.dsf#sovRoadsCenter not found

Now, If I look in that directory, the file is there.

Dir path:
F:\Daz3D\MyLibrary\data\Stonemason\StreetsOfLondon\sovRoadsCenter\sovRoadCenter.dsf

So I said no problem, I'll open it in studio and save the scene and open the scene. Same errors when I try to open that scene.

Tried loading individual objects, same basic message, different file names:
Warning: file /data/Stonemason/StreetsOfLondon/Barrel2/Barrel2.dsf could not be found
Error: node /data/Stonemason/StreetsOfLondon/Barrel2/Barrel2.dsf#Barrel2 not found

The package does come with .objs, but no material files.

Anyone else had better luck?
ncamp

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,933
    edited December 1969

I got the duf scene to load ok, had to untick UV wrapping on some bits of streets in vertex room UV view but otherwise fine

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I'm on Carrara 8.5.1 Pro Build 19 (64 bit). Is that what you are running Wendy?

edited December 1969

Not sure, is not the latest update, too many bad things in thread I am glad I avoided.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I'm pleading poverty right now, although I'd love to get it. But I've certainly experienced the UV issue Wendy describes on other Stonemason stuff.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,823
    edited December 1969

Just popped it into my cart but DazLand servers must be on a go slow today..

taking forever to download via DiM!!!

Good to see Carrara'ists supporting the PAs who sponsor our challenges... If and when I finally get it downloaded I'll try and get a render up and test the problem you have ncamp..

wow.. just peaked at 47kb/sec good going DAZ!! you can do it ;-)

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

The new London set is AWESOME!

I haven't installed C8.5Pro on my computer yet I keep hearing too many horror stories to risk it right now).

I would love to see any Carrara renders of the London set if anyone has it.

edited December 1969

just a few tweaks needed.. as wendy mentioned, also ran it through Fenric's shader doctor.

Slapped in a G1 & a G2 as well as some other props with no problems with lag etc..

London.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 432K
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    The new London set is AWESOME!

I haven't installed C8.5Pro on my computer yet I keep hearing too many horror stories to risk it right now).

I would love to see any Carrara renders of the London set if anyone has it.

you need C8.5 pro for the duf, I just do not have the latest build
    otherwise export full set as obj from DAZ
    edited May 2015

Big Ben seems to be either 5 past 3 or 5 to 9 depending which side you look at.. hmmm.

These are the props from the props folder just thrown in and rendered.. :-)

added- using the latest Carrara Pro 8.5.1 build 19 release

big_ben.jpg
    800 x 600 - 413K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited December 1969

I still can't get the duf file to load. I did finally get it in. Opened it in Studio, exported as FBX. Then imported the FBX file into Carrara.

Other than the scaling issue, it looks okay.

ncamp

edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    I still can't get the duf file to load. I did finally get it in. Opened it in Studio, exported as FBX. Then imported the FBX file into Carrara.

Other than the scaling issue, it looks okay.

ncamp

yes FBX actually worked in iClone too
    FBX gets bump correct so preferred but DAZ FBX exports tend to zero most stuff out so I resort to obj but in this case fine.
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

I went ahead and picked it up.

Unfortunately, the OBJs load in the zero position AND you have to add all the textures BY HAND.

The set is massive and I have no idea where everything is supposed to go.

I recommend this set to anyone who can make C8.5 work or who uses DS4.8. It looks awesome.

edited May 2015

tsarist said:
    I went ahead and picked it up.

Unfortunately, the OBJs load in the zero position AND you have to add all the textures BY HAND.

Not with the one I bought it didn't..

all loaded fine with textures applied.

unless I misunderstand how you did it which is quite possible ;-)

Post edited by Stezza on
    edited December 1969

Stonemason did say on his thread that he was going to update the objs to include mtl files, so maybe he's already done it? Might be worth firing up DIM to see if there's an update.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Big Ben seems to be either 5 past 3 or 5 to 9 depending which side you look at.. hmmm.

These are the props from the props folder just thrown in and rendered.. :-)

added- using the latest Carrara Pro 8.5.1 build 19 release

Beautiful render Stezza

edited December 1969

edited December 1969

Pleasure ! I'm only being nice so you can explains how to fix those garbled uvees ;)

edited May 2015

aha... Novacastrians.... ;-)

Select the road, in this case sovRoadsCenter and go into the modelling room.. select all then select the UV Editing mode..

Untick Wrap U values

that should do it :-)

oldlondonuntick.jpg
    1646 x 756 - 139K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Stezza, :) I must have untucked v values .... ;) it was hard enough getting it into carrar 8.1 in the first place ! Heh, amazing low poly set, just shows what good texturing can do , the individual buildings will come in handy I think. Now did you manage to get the weird glow around the conifers under control?

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited May 2015

Stezza said:
    That is because of the theory of relativity. If you look at the time from a certain position, it has to be, because of the curvature of space, different from seeing the same time from another position. Einstein is the one that thought profoundly on the nature of time and space and ended up with that.:-) ;-)
    Post edited by argus1000 on
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:
    Stezza said:
    That is because of the theory of relativity. If you look at the time from a certain position, it has to be, because of the curvature of space, different from seeing the same time from another position. Einstein is the one that thought profoundly on the nature of time and space and ended up with that.:-) ;-)

Quantum Time Dilation, innit.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    argus1000 said:
    Stezza said:

I blame that guy in the blue police box - I knew he was going to break something.

edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    Tim_A said:
    argus1000 said:
    Stezza said:

I blame that guy in the blue police box - I knew he was going to break something.
    This box?

Tardis_in_fog.png
    800 x 600 - 417K
    edited December 1969

I won't let my daughter see that image ncamp.... at the moment she is walking around with one blazoned across her sweater ( it is cold here at the moment 14c )

and here's me thinking it had something to do with the cockneys ... :-)

• sukyLsukyL Posts: 251
    edited June 2015

Hi Stezza,

I finally succumbed to the awesomeness of The Streets of Old London and purchased it. Thanks so much for saving the day by showing how to fix the street texture.

You are my favorite avian!

sukyL

Post edited by sukyL on
    edited June 2015

I bet you say that to all the columba livias ;-)

happy_pigeon.jpg
    300 x 308 - 65K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited December 1969

well my video is a new first for me!!!
    The first one ever to have MORE DISLIKES than likes :lol: more than twice as many in fact!!!

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

The first one ever to have MORE DISLIKES than likes :lol: more than twice as many in fact!!!

That could be because of all those empty spaces where you see the sky and where there should be buildings, so as to make it look like a real city.
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:

That could be because of all those empty spaces where you see the sky and where there should be buildings, so as to make it look like a real city.
    it was just a look at the set and a lighting test and I have done far worse ones and not gotten that result
    I said on description just looking at the set too if anyone was in any doubt.
    I personally think it might be the soundtrack if thats what you could call it.
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Good to see the UV fix, I just fixed it in post! This is my first image with it, it looks to have lots of image potential in there.

V6-CentigradeOutfitFinal.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 390K