the future and artists, redundancy?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,838
    edited November 2022

yeah I am going back to 3D with some limited ai usage on my own GPU foregoing aircon and other wasteful appliances etc to make up for it

my bill still lower than most people 

looking into 2D animation too devil

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • I couldn't resist turning my Carrara video of the DAZ Millennium Cat into a Pallas Cat though

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

I'm fortunate enough to live in a very art-rich little community.

We have sculptors, painters of all different medium, bronze statue artists, stone carvers, wood carvers, etc., etc., and craftsmen of top quality. Fun!

I remember when drum machines were really starting to hit the store shelves. So many drummers pissing and moaning that they were getting replaced.

My answer to them was an amazing timing thing. TAMA drums had just released their TAMA Cage, which is truly a cage of bars surrounding the drummer so things can be mounted securely everywhere and anywhere. Thing was awesome - especially the fact that they gave me one to demonstrate.

So I set up a Monster drumkit. The whole right hand side was made up of traditional acoustic drums while the left side, including the left bass drum, was all electronic drums. I needed one more electronic device - a Roland Octapad (eight electronic drum pads on a device the size of a slender brief case), and I mounted that over my head.

So here's how this worked:

• Acoustic drums - Right Drum Kit - acoustic drum sounds (this one was obvious)
    • Electronic Drums - Left Drum Kit - bass guitar notes on everything but the bass drum, which played an acoustic snare drum sound
    • Overhead Octapad - notes from a muted electric violin, with a touch of distortion for a really good chugging rock guitar sound
    • Microphone for vocals
    • PA System that surrounded the cage, speakers facing in all directions.

This thing was in the center of the huge Guitar Center, downtown Chicago.

I played "In the Still of the Night" by Whitesnake all by myself. Bass, Guitar, Drums and Vocals. Making a point that no drummer needs to be afraid of being replaced - because drummers Rock!

It went over really well. I'll never forget that part of my life!

Anyway, point is that artists will never have to go away, nor should they ever feel threatened that machines will run them out of business. When AI can have a brilliant, artistic imagination and put it to use, then I'd say that the AI is an artist. Just like Drum Machine are drummers. We can all play!

• I follow this girl because she is an educated, insightful person who has found her niche as a physics educator.  She digs up all kinds of interesting topics.  Anyways last night I looked through some of the older videos and found this thoughtful video from five years ago:  She had enough vision to ask the right questions then:

Then this morning I found this:

Are we going to continue to feed the vast collective of original (and by US standards, copyrighted) art that is the basis of AI programs?  You'll receive no credit or payment for it and there is no hope of removing from the collective once its there.  Not much market for your work if it's like everything else.

The threat from the "machines" is like what's happened in photography.  One person (who is extremely skilled at toning) suggests that you should not look at very much of the pictures posted on social media.  She argues that if you do, it will slowly become your new normal and you will probably degrade your standards to where you accept it as "good".  

Anyways, if you fancy a trip down the rabbit hole, this is about a creative person who explored the question of what would the universe be like if everthing were reversible.  Entropy is not reversible because if violates the second law of thermodynamics.  It's currently accepted that it is entropy that gives time its sense - always forward and never backward.  There's no proof for any of things Sidis postulates, but what is out there in the vast regoins of the universe that apparently have nothing in them.  And he may have gained at least some insight into what happens in the outer region of black holes that we call the event horizon.  Not bad for someone who wanted to drop out of society in 1920.

She warns you that this is a rabbit hole ....

edited November 2022

I certainly am not promoting it without reservation

I am still trying stuff but my goal is to enhance my 3D renders and videos

not to steal other's art, stuff I do using them in prompts is purely for entertainment, I strongly agree it should never be used commercially

I unsuccessfully tried to train Dreambooth on both my face and my OC JaguarElla,

makng a video of a CGI cat look like a real one etc and DAZ model renders in general more realistic is my main aim

I want them to create a checkpoint data set using only the public domain stuff from the great masters of the past too, it will be popular and morally OK

I wish it would do more using my own image and video inputs with machine learning instead of adding random data from outside

for example this render with a selfie video it adds too much random stuff from the prompt

• Discussion is fine, but please keep it civil and respect others' views.

• Grimmvald said:

Then this morning I found this:

Are we going to continue to feed the vast collective of original (and by US standards, copyrighted) art that is the basis of AI programs?  You'll receive no credit or payment for it and there is no hope of removing from the collective once its there.  Not much market for your work if it's like everything else.

Grimmvald, that is a timely video, thanks for posting.  The author is highly respected, and understands the deeper ramifications of AI.   Plus, he is a highly skilled artist who is not "anti-tech."

I listend to the whole thing.  Well worth it. 

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited November 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I certainly am not promoting it without reservation

I think that everyone here knows that.  You have posted your reservations many times.

The author in the above video really lays it out.  I hope that everyone who already has reservations watches it so those reservations become more clear.

I choose to not participate in these AI engines as a matter of principle.  For some, it is logically about fairly compensating artists and copyright owners.  But it is more than that - a lot more.  Human artists use all sorts of tools.  When the tool becomes intelligent, the human artist, for the most part, no longer matters.

We are not there yet, but it is fast moving in that direction.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • Evidently I made a mistake in how I posted a comment .  I apologize for any hurt I may have caused. Please accept that no personal attack was intended.

• ai is a very very touchy topic in general, certainly no-one I know was offended here

those that want to be offended only need upload something ai created to Artstation cheeky

trending on will be for all the wrong reasons

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

Grimmvald said:

Evidently I made a mistake in how I posted a comment .  I apologize for any hurt I may have caused. Please accept that no personal attack was intended.

I did not see anything like that, but I have had people take offense when none was intended.  With no body language or other signals, text messges can be ... misinterpreted.  frown

Same here. I don't look into art-creation AI because I'm in the mood to make it myself, rather than to task it off to anyone (AI included) else. 

I also don't pay attention to it enough to break out the pitch fork for an attack on technological advancements. If we couldn't get Daz 3d to further Carrara development by now, whose gonna pay any attention to us about this? LOL

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

I posted a Star Trek video without additional comment.  Hope that did not offend anyone.  General theme to me seemed to fit the discussion - sometimes humans invent things that have unintended and unanticipated disadvantages.  That is the plot of several Star Trek episodes, and other Sci-Fi as well.  Could just as easily have posted a clip of Walter Pigeon's speech about the id from Forbidden Planet.

Anyway, no one offended me.  Hope I did not offend anyone. 

Diomede said:

Anyway, no one offended me.  Hope I did not offend anyone. 

Ditto. Truly

• video

I do edit the pretty pictures

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,804

it was the rabbit I posted wasn't it....... I knew it....

as penance I shall eat 6 king prawns for lunch tails and all! angel

edited December 2022

My Heritage lets you upload about 25 images and create historical images of yourself

160 (8 pics from 20 eras) for free can buy more eras

ai is a great tool in the toolbox

and already uploaded the video when I realised the image series I rendered used Carrara not DAZ studio

This link has some examples of text to animation.

https://make-a-video3d.github.io/

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

Diomede said:

This link has some examples of text to animation.

https://make-a-video3d.github.io/

Sort of interesting ... not quite Pixar level ... yet?  wink

edited March 2023

I try so hard to please everyone but end up just alienating them all

I have been using AI in what I thought was a non damaging educational way not for commercial purposes while all the time clearly expressing my misgivings about many of it's aspects

agreeing with the validity of opinions those who say it steals from artists and openly wishing for an ethically trained model

now Adobe supposingly has plans to release one I thought we could finally use it as a legitimate postworking tool

I would subscribe to it unlike Midjourney

however there are artists claiming their model is still unethical 

including one who's 3D content I really like who now has blocked me on Renderosity

because I cared enough to address the topic with them

I guess they are not hypocrites and going through and blocking all the other people not just using AI in an experimental way and even selling stuff on their marketplace without even questioning it's validity

it's just making me depressed to be honest and not wanting to buy 3D assets to render either as then I am still not a true artist as I am using other's content

I better get back in the vertex room I guess and model some crap cheeky

Recombining things to create the appearance of other things does not seem unethical to me, and can be amazingly creative.  

I just tried to sign up for the beta of Adobe's firefly A.I. art program.  Alas, took my information but then the display just says they will be letting me know in coming time.  Do you have to be an Adobe subscriber?  Does anyone have the Adobe Firefly A.I. Beta?  Felt like I got duped into giving a scammer some personal information, but it was the Adoba site, to the extent I can be sure anything is anything anymore.

no different to signing up to use Mixamo I imagine

The ethics are a real issue, but are secondary to the bigger issue of how AI can impact the overall human experience.

In the following letter, signed by people (some very famous) who are recognized as leaders in various fields, the issue is summed up pretty well.

https://futureoflife.org/open-letter/pause-giant-ai-experiments/

The group said humanity has previously paused development on other technologies with possibly “catastrophic” effects on society like human cloning, germline modification research and eugenics and should do so again with AI.

UnifiedBrain said:

The ethics are a real issue, but are secondary to the bigger issue of how AI can impact the overall human experience.

In the following letter, signed by people (some very famous) who are recognized as leaders in various fields, the issue is summed up pretty well.

https://futureoflife.org/open-letter/pause-giant-ai-experiments/

The group said humanity has previously paused development on other technologies with possibly “catastrophic” effects on society like human cloning, germline modification research and eugenics and should do so again with AI.

Lots of valid points.  As per 1984 Wargames, perhaps the only winning move is not to play.

On the other hand, staying with the Wargames reference, it was the ability of the computer program 'Joshua' to learn that prevented global destruction.

I have not made mind up yet.

How is pausing development "not playing?"  Rather, it is actively taking responsibility for what has already been done, and taking the time to put safeguards in place, instead of engaging in a headlong rush over the cliff without even considering the consequences.

Do you want to roll the dice and hope that AI will be benevolent and save mankind from itself?  Not me.

edited March 2023

I disagree with your premise.  By having relatively responsible people (relatively) abstain from developing A.I., do you know who develops A.I.?  The irresponsible people.  That is an adaption of wisdom brought to you by Sir Humphrey from classic Yes, Prime Minister (the sequal series).  

On the big picture stuff related to A.I., my mind remains uncertain.  I have just as much distrust for the people who claim to be standing by the door of abstention as I do of the people diving headlong in.  What does it mean to abstain from further developing A.I.?  It is not like nuclear energy, where we can try to detect physical signals or track rare elements.  Every advertizing firm on Madison Avenue has access to 'big data.'  There is no unringing that bell.  Every survey conducted by Pew is potentially a contributor to an AI database.  Have Pew and Gallop agreed to abstain?  If so, what does that mean?  They agree to some protocols and then form a cartel excluding others from entering the survey business?  Oh, is no one saying THAT?  My reply is no one is saying THAT yet.  Merely yet.  Because no new survey firms have pressed it yet.

No, no I do not trust the luminaries.

Now, having said, my mind is not made up.  I can still be convinced that a pause is better than a not pause.  But no.  No, I do not trust those who claim to be the gatekeepers of 'safe' software development.  Who appointed them?  And they will be allowed to continue developing what they themselves have identified as the 'still safe' avenues.  

No, the choice is not a binary between a pause and a roll of the dice.  The choices (plural) are all rolls of the dice, with possible catastrophe at the end of each roll.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 2023

I went back and read my original comments on the first page when I started this thread

I am still there, on the fence finding it exciting and scary at the same time

I do think we need legislation in place controlling it but I don't want to see it banned either

a do no evil type of thing

be it

Ethically Trained and Verified Checkpoints for Stable Diffusion that one can commercially use

restrictions on using people's voices to train speaking or music AIs without their written consent

Data for ChatGPT that is from unbiased Public Domain educational sources and some sort of inbuilt meta identifier that it was written by AI not a scholar

edited

I just watched a video about that letter

I too see both sides, it's like the cold war arms race all over again

maybe with the nukes as well

edited April 2023

I  also see both sides, but I am not conflicted or on the fence.  My world view tells me which side to weigh more heavily.

We each have a world view.  It is hard-won and based on our human experience.

I view history and the nature of the human experience very differently from most people.  Sorry to be so vague.  Details would require a book.  And even if I wrote the book, it probably wouldn't do much good anyway. World views are notoriously difficult to change.

The best that i can hope for is that ringing an alarm will help people at least begin to question the premise of uncontrolled AI.  Since that is already the case here, then the potential negatives from me continuing to post in this thread are beginning to outweigh the positives.  Probably better that I stop commenting.  I value our little community, and hope that our common love for Carrara keeps it intact.  It is fragile enough already.

Hope you guys find resolution!

PS - I had the idea of making a couple of renders in "AI style," to show that pretty much everything AI does can be replicatred in Carrara.  Is anyone else doing that?

Edited today for additional clarity

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

AI is just a tool but humans are humans and scammers are loving ChatGPT4 for writing scams