Old Town Paris

Comments

• RuthvenRuthven Posts: 631

@Stonemason

Will you model other italian cities locations? Milan or Siena would be fantastic! Also smaller towns can be very interesting. It also would be lovely to have modern residential zones in Europian styles. Anyway, thank you for all your great works, I really love them!

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,162

I love Italy so absolutely plan to do more, I'd love to do some Napoli backstreets and also Assisi

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,073

Any plans doing some American small towns? Kinda Main Street USA, like this?

edited January 2023
    I can look into it but I think there's already a couple of good main street USA environments available
    Post edited by Stonemason on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,220

I'd love a Streets of Seattle, possibly reimagined as an Urban Future, both as a local and a Shadowrun enthusiast.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,388
    edited January 2023

If we're playing wishing well, could I try to interest you in some traditional Irish cottages? I think a cottage set could be very versatile if one had white-washed walls as well as bare stone ones, like the ones I'm attaching; it could be modern as well as old-timey houses. And there could be some houses with a straw roof and some with slates. Plus some nice lush and hilly countryside like Wicklow maybe, and a crumbling round tower in the distance (well, just dreaming here, right?). There's really almost nothing of that kind around at all, only two nice but not very complex sets at at Rendo and a very old one here. 

Edit: I really don't mean to be greedy, I was just so overjoyed with the fantastic Paris set actually happening, and so quickly, I just can't help myself giving it another try ;-)

C805BC0B-CFCB-4BDE-9EC2-9FD49801418B.jpeg
    1600 x 759 - 206K
    907FAD81-4246-41EB-877D-88024CF069F2.jpeg
    1620 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by tsroemi on

Gordig said:

I'd love a Streets of Seattle, possibly reimagined as an Urban Future, both as a local and a Shadowrun enthusiast.

I've never been to Seattle, do you have any images of what you would expect from a typical Seattle environment? 

tsroemi said:

If we're playing wishing well, could I try to interest you in some traditional Irish cottages? I think a cottage set could be very versatile if one had white-washed walls as well as bare stone ones, like the ones I'm attaching; it could be modern as well as old-timey houses. And there could be some houses with a straw roof and some with slates. Plus some nice lush and hilly countryside like Wicklow maybe, and a crumbling round tower in the distance (well, just dreaming here, right?). There's really almost nothing of that kind around at all, only two nice but not very complex sets at at Rendo and a very old one here. 

Edit: I really don't mean to be greedy, I was just so overjoyed with the fantastic Paris set actually happening, and so quickly, I just can't help myself giving it another try ;-)

maybe not specifically Irish but I would like to do an old english farmhouse/village type environment ..though I have no idea how to approcah the thatch style roofing so that it looks good but isn't too poly heavy

Stonemason said:

tsroemi said:

maybe not specifically Irish but I would like to do an old english farmhouse/village type environment ..though I have no idea how to approcah the thatch style roofing so that it looks good but isn't too poly heavy

Sounds great! Those typical low-slung cottages could really be anywhere I guess, as long they've got those rough stone walls without timbering, and the teeny tiny windows and that. I do appreciate the difficulty of the thatch roofs! Would be fantastic if you found a way to do them realistically but without too much overhead. There are some straw roofs in the Viking shore set  (https://www.daz3d.com/viking-shores-scene-and-props), one of them is not bad - I think the idea was to make the roof mainly solid and then just overlap the edges with some real geometry. Maybe with proper thatch, it would be rather easier than with straw because the bristles are coarser. But I have no clue really! blush So will be crossing my fingers and hoping for a Stonemason solution to pop up in the store one day.

• @Stonemason there are a large number of cottages in the SW of England that used to be thatched once upon a time and now have slate rooves. My parents' house (1590-1600 origin, 2 floors) was one like that. Had 4ft thick cob/rubble stone walls at the base and 18" thick cob at the top of the walls. The gable ends were 18" thick at the ridge with the same batter on the walls. The outer face of the walls were nominally vertical +/- an inch or two, so the width of the rooms at ceiling level was around 2.5 ft bigger than the floor (15" batter on each wall on each side in the height of the room). The internal walls were also plastered in lime plaster by someone who'd obvoiusly never done it before, and had ripples on the internal walls up to 1" deep. A similar gernerally looking place with cob & rubble stone walls and slate roof is here and has been converted to a holiday let:

The houses were built mostly by people who were dirt poor and had to use what was available to them - mud, stones and trees. The roof timbers in my parents' house were trees with the bark still on them, and had been that way for 400 years. The trunks were hacked back with an adz where they went outside the roof profile and were blocked out with hunks of timber up to 12" deep where the tree trunks were inside the roof line.

Regards,

Richard

Stonemason said:

I can look into it but I think there's already a couple of good main street USA environments available

Where? Not in the DAZ store. There is one pretty old product with the Back to the Future style main square and that's it. Iird, Rendo has some kinda-sorta like it but not a great quality. Nothing like what you do.

lou_harper said:

Stonemason said:

Where? Not in the DAZ store. There is one pretty old product with the Back to the Future style main square and that's it. Iird, Rendo has some kinda-sorta like it but not a great quality. Nothing like what you do.

DreamlandModels at Renderosity should have some that might suit ..I'm sure I've seen others too but can't recall the product names or vendors

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,220

Stonemason said:

Gordig said:

I've never been to Seattle, do you have any images of what you would expect from a typical Seattle environment? 

Pike Place Market (renowned for the throwing of fish) is an obvious choice:

Stonemason said:

lou_harper said:

Stonemason said:

DreamlandModels at Renderosity should have some that might suit ..I'm sure I've seen others too but can't recall the product names or vendors

I've looked through his stuff many times.  There are the Movie Set City Blocks–they are ancient and all Poser. Even if they converted to DAZ well, the quality, details, textures are just so-so. And they are still not the right look–more of a drab mid-size town than a cozy small town Main Street with antique shops, littel cafe, etc. Population 500, with a surprisingly high rate of murder. I make covers for cozy mystery books. ;) 

Actually, some of the bottom level storefront sof Streets of Paris would work well. It's the second level that doesn't fit. I use New York Stores before. Not quite as cozy I'd like but works in a pinch, I just had to remove everything above ground floor.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,808

The store is full of American neighborhoods and cityscapes.

My request for Paris was to have more none American environments.

edited January 2023

lou_harper said:

Stonemason said:

lou_harper said:

Stonemason said:

I've looked through his stuff many times.  There are the Movie Set City Blocks–they are ancient and all Poser. Even if they converted to DAZ well, the quality, details, textures are just so-so. And they are still not the right look–more of a drab mid-size town than a cozy small town Main Street with antique shops, littel cafe, etc. Population 500, with a surprisingly high rate of murder. I make covers for cozy mystery books. ;) 

Actually, some of the bottom level storefront sof Streets of Paris would work well. It's the second level that doesn't fit. I use New York Stores before. Not quite as cozy I'd like but works in a pinch, I just had to remove everything above ground floor.

New York Fast Food Joint | Daz 3D
    Shopping Street | Daz 3D
    1920 City Street | Daz 3D
    New York Bodega Liquor Store | Daz 3D
    SW French Quarter - Chrizzler's Corner | Daz 3D
    Night and Day City for Daz Studio | Daz 3D
    Urban Sprawl 2 The Big City | Daz 3D
    New York Tenements 2 | Daz 3D
    Urban Alley | Daz 3D
    The Dark Side Of The City | Daz 3D
    Brooklyn Basketball Court | Daz 3D
    Night and Day City | Daz 3D
    City Courtyard | Daz 3D
    City Streets | Daz 3D
    New York Tenements | Daz 3D
    V3Digitimes Buildings and Skyscrapers Generator Vol. 1 | Daz 3D
    Municipal Building | Daz 3D
    M8 Noir Alley | Daz 3D
    1stBastion Buildings: Police Station | Daz 3D
    1stBastion's Buildings Hospital Emergency | Daz 3D
    Behind the Neighborhood | Daz 3D
    C3D Neighborhood XPack 3 | Daz 3D
    Sweet Street | Daz 3D

I hope this helps 

Post edited by Masterstroke on
    I love the streets of NYC, spent a couple of months living in Hells Kitchen last year and took a heap of reference photos... Hopefully one day I'll get around to making something with them.

Stonemason said:

I love the streets of NYC, spent a couple of months living in Hells Kitchen last year and took a heap of reference photos... Hopefully one day I'll get around to making something with them.

Giving the amount of detail, you put into your work, I really wonder how you do that so quickly.
    Every Stonemason release is nothing but just impressive and a jaw dropper every time. 
    just saying... ;-)

• Yep, I must echo that. I am a professional engineer working with SolidWorks 3D models on a daily basis, and the LOD you produce on your models is such that any of us in the office would struggle to produce similar designs so quickly. Here I'm mentally equating the time involved texturing the models to the time needed to create 2D drawings (and in my case, I know texturing takes me considerably longer than 2D drawings).

Regards,

Richard

Masterstroke said:

Shopping Street | Daz 3D
    Urban Alley | Daz 3D
    City Courtyard | Daz 3D
    City Streets | Daz 3D
    M8 Noir Alley | Daz 3D
    Sweet Street | Daz 3D

I hope this helps 

I'm familiar with every single one of them. Own several. They are all city environments. Words like "city," "urban," "New York," etc. should give you a clue.  Not a single one of them is what I asked for–Main Street in a US SMALL TOWN. Like my picture above, or the one below. Not a single one of them. Sweet Street comes the closest, but it's much more like one of the small streets in Seattle, close to Pike Street Market. The French Quarters are great–I own them all–but they are so recognizably and uniquely New Orleans they can't pretend to be anywhere else.

This is a small town. Note the lack of tall buildings.

Any plans doing some American small towns? Kinda Main Street USA, like this?

Out of curiosity... Which town is this?

Yep, I must echo that. I am a professional engineer working with SolidWorks 3D models on a daily basis, and the LOD you produce on your models is such that any of us in the office would struggle to produce similar designs so quickly. Here I'm mentally equating the time involved texturing the models to the time needed to create 2D drawings (and in my case, I know texturing takes me considerably longer than 2D drawings).

Regards,

Richard

Thanks, I've worked with solidworks models before, they are always so heavy!... Perfect for the precision that engineering requires but 3dsMax always throws a fit when I have to import them. Max on the other hand is used so much in the game industry that it's pretty easy to keep the polycount low

lou_harper said:

Masterstroke said:

Shopping Street | Daz 3D
    Urban Alley | Daz 3D
    City Courtyard | Daz 3D
    City Streets | Daz 3D
    M8 Noir Alley | Daz 3D
    Sweet Street | Daz 3D

I hope this helps 

I'm familiar with every single one of them. Own several. They are all city environments. Words like "city," "urban," "New York," etc. should give you a clue.  Not a single one of them is what I asked for–Main Street in a US SMALL TOWN. Like my picture above, or the one below. Not a single one of them. Sweet Street comes the closest, but it's much more like one of the small streets in Seattle, close to Pike Street Market. The French Quarters are great–I own them all–but they are so recognizably and uniquely New Orleans they can't pretend to be anywhere else.

This is a small town. Note the lack of tall buildings.

Aaah, I see. Wait:
    Mountain Valley | Daz 3D 

Masterstroke said:

Aaah, I see. Wait:
    Mountain Valley | Daz 3D 

Yes, that's the only one. Sadly, it's a bit old and it shows. It would be nice to have something of that nature, or even simpler, a single street or one side of the street in high quality, like Stonemason's. I have all sorts of Stonemason environments–like Streets of Venice–that I never have the occasion to use, but they just look so damn good.

lou_harper said:

Masterstroke said:

Aaah, I see. Wait:
    Mountain Valley | Daz 3D 

Yes, that's the only one. Sadly, it's a bit old and it shows. It would be nice to have something of that nature, or even simpler, a single street or one side of the street in high quality, like Stonemason's. I have all sorts of Stonemason environments–like Streets of Venice–that I never have the occasion to use, but they just look so damn good.

I understand what you mean, it's the quintessential 'Mainstreet, USA' you're looking for, a bit like they did in Disneyworld (no offence meant!). That 1950's gas station that was in the DAZ+FAD items in one of the last sales would fit in there also maybe - that kind of street always has a 50iesh vibe in a way, doesn't it? Yes, that would be very nice to have!

• It is just one part but maybe this could help fill out a scene https://www.daz3d.com/servico-vintage-gas-station

GhostofMacbeth said:

It is just one part but maybe this could help fill out a scene https://www.daz3d.com/servico-vintage-gas-station

I have it, and used it. ;)  It's an ongoing thing for me though, can never have enough small town.

DogBorderCollieGoatsDiner_1.jpg
    2000 x 1200 - 683K

tsroemi said:

lou_harper said:

Masterstroke said:

Aaah, I see. Wait:
    Mountain Valley | Daz 3D 

I understand what you mean, it's the quintessential 'Mainstreet, USA' you're looking for, a bit like they did in Disneyworld (no offence meant!). That 1950's gas station that was in the DAZ+FAD items in one of the last sales would fit in there also maybe - that kind of street always has a 50iesh vibe in a way, doesn't it? Yes, that would be very nice to have!

Yes, that's pretty it, like Disneyland, but maybe a little less pink. :P I have the gas station in the desert if that's what you mean, I have plans for it. But I think we went off topic a bit.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

Gordig said:

...Chicago post Cermak Blast would be another good one, particularly the CZ 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited January 2023

Stonemason said:

...looking forward to that.  Been to NYC a number of times myself. Would love to see sets like the upper West Side and Harlem. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on