Old Town Paris

13»

Comments

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,388

Hm, maybe the OP would think of renaming this thread, and we could make it into something like 'collecting ideas for real-world environments we'd love to see in the store'? A little less clunky, maybe ... ;-) Cause I think it's really interesting the way it's turned out, especially if creators like Stonemason drop by occasionally.

• RuthvenRuthven Posts: 631

One thing I'd suggest is to include templates for the shop signs and road signs, so that the user can be able to retexture them with different languages wording. That would be useful when an environment doesn't look too country-specific except for the languages used.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,757

tsroemi said:

Hm, maybe the OP would think of renaming this thread, and we could make it into something like 'collecting ideas for real-world environments we'd love to see in the store'? A little less clunky, maybe ... ;-) Cause I think it's really interesting the way it's turned out, especially if creators like Stonemason drop by occasionally.

How about 'Environments We Wish For' ?

For myself, I will happily buy anything Stonemason makes, they are often like a mini-vacation.

@lou_harper, many of the 'small town America' towns are just old western towns or 1920/30s streets aged forward, kinda. Unless the town was completely destroyed by a disaster, like the earthquake the took down large parts of Santa Barbara, CA. So they decided to rebuild in Spanish Colonial. Before that it was a mish-mash of everything up to that point. That decision turned it into a tourist town. You could use shaders to update buildings and line them up, as if they organically grew there over time. 

Mary

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,073

memcneil70 said:

tsroemi said:

For myself, I will happily buy anything Stonemason makes, they are often like a mini-vacation.

@lou_harper, many of the 'small town America' towns are just old western towns or 1920/30s streets aged forward, kinda. Unless the town was completely destroyed by a disaster, like the earthquake the took down large parts of Santa Barbara, CA. So they decided to rebuild in Spanish Colonial. Before that it was a mish-mash of everything up to that point. That decision turned it into a tourist town. You could use shaders to update buildings and line them up, as if they organically grew there over time. 

Mary

I've lived in various parts of the US, and been to more. I could most likely cobble together a Southern California small town from the various Old West assets in the store, with some shaders and stuff. Not so much Midwest. It doesn't mean I doesn't like all sorts of other environments too.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Well, if we are just throwing interesting viillages out there as proposed to be modeled I very much like Vrin, CH. It has a church with the outside church walls decorated with skulls of former church members. And the church graveyard, ugh. I am happy everytime we visited it was bright daylight as it was very spooky.

Das schönste Dorf der Schweiz – Die rätoromanischen Kandidaten Vrin Tschlin Falera GR | Schweizer Illustrierte (schweizer-illustrierte.ch)

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,808

In fact, my request was to have something "non-American", since it is a lot here US centered for understandable reasons.

So I do like the swiss idea.

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,162

In fact, my request was to have something "non-American", since it is a lot here US centered for understandable reasons.

Time to rename this thread?. The Swiss villages look cool, I also love the look of a lot of Nordic villages, a style I've never tried before
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,871
    edited January 2023

Stonemason said:

Masterstroke said:

Time to rename this thread?. The Swiss villages look cool, I also love the look of a lot of Nordic villages, a style I've never tried before

closer to home for you a Maori village would not go amiss eitherenlightened

(even if according to DAZ Vikings are the new Pacific Oceanic warriors going by the tattoos etcwink)

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,388

memcneil70 said:

For myself, I will happily buy anything Stonemason makes, they are often like a mini-vacation

That is so true, sometimes I spend ages just gazing at the renders, feeling the day falling away. And it's not just vacations in other countries, but other times as well! I think environments are the one thing I buy most in general. And there are quite a few really well made, but Stonemason's, I dunno, they have something extra about them - a vibe, each a different one, like a real REAL place. You can almost feel being there, the atmosphere it will have. Love that absolutely.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

Stonemason said:

Streets of old Paris is very much on my list of things to do

If you do my old neighborhood in the Marais, I will be compelled to buy it.

Not sure what I'll use it for, but I will have to buy it. Just for the nostalgia factor.

(Mind you, I end up buying most things you make, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ...)