BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►Winners Announced◄◄◄ Theme is »ᴥᴥ» MOVIE SCENES «ᴥᴥ«

13»

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,542

"Still, I feel that the Bryce renders, once saved, either to TIFF or HDR, are not as crisp as they look on my screen in Bryce. It can't be the screen-calibration, because both the render still in Bryce and the Tiff or HDR (or JPEG) are seen on the same screen with the same settings. So, after doing all the work and being convinced of the perfect look, I sometimes see a slightly disappointing picture after saving. I don't know whether any of you have that experience?"

Do not forget that 96-bit TIFF and HDR are saved linear, not with an inverse gamma like ordinary 24-bit images. This pre-emphasis was introduced at a time when display units were not linear and the image data therefore modified in such a way that the picture displayed correctly. A linear image is subjected to that correction and the result is washed out. Display gamma is 2.2 nowadays and to compensate, the image gamma must be set to 0.4545.

• vosvos Posts: 337

Congrats to Orbital , Drachenlords and  Hansmar  . 

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    Horo said:

"Still, I feel that the Bryce renders, once saved, either to TIFF or HDR, are not as crisp as they look on my screen in Bryce. It can't be the screen-calibration, because both the render still in Bryce and the Tiff or HDR (or JPEG) are seen on the same screen with the same settings. So, after doing all the work and being convinced of the perfect look, I sometimes see a slightly disappointing picture after saving. I don't know whether any of you have that experience?"

Do not forget that 96-bit TIFF and HDR are saved linear, not with an inverse gamma like ordinary 24-bit images. This pre-emphasis was introduced at a time when display units were not linear and the image data therefore modified in such a way that the picture displayed correctly. A linear image is subjected to that correction and the result is washed out. Display gamma is 2.2 nowadays and to compensate, the image gamma must be set to 0.4545.

@Horo: Thanks very much for that explanation. I'm not sure I ever knew this (or understanded anything of how images are saved, except that the JPEG compresses things and the HDR is, well, HDR. I will check in the future for the gamma!