Images are vanishing from the old threads!

2»

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited July 2015
    Wonga said:

maybe the images can't get across the Pacific Rim to me...

Dustrider, even your avatar has been banquished on my browser!

I'm OK in Chrome for old thread images, but I see what is meant by the new thumbnail size. Hmmmmm. But if you host it off-site, it will display inline OK?

Dustrider your avatar is fine in Chrome for me.  I use Kaspersky Pure.

ETA:  Per Chole's post below:  OK it seems to have fallen down now in Chrome even for this particular thread. It's hit or miss.

And of course now I have started getting problems myself, having been saying I wasn't seeing it.  I get this in some threads now  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/785464/#Comment_785464  

I removed rest to stay on topic.

frown  SileneUK

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2015
    Novica said:

Chohole, as i get time today, I'll start with the Art Studio and cruise through those using Chrome, Windows 7, 64 bit. I'll try to hit the first three pages and click to enlarge images. That way we'll have some kind of organization at least for the Art Studio forum. I'll edit and post the results here so they'll be in one spot.

was more concerned with details of what OS, Av and other such stuff was being used.   A list of threads was not going to help much, as it was behaving differently for different people. 

Post edited by Chohole on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    Chohole said:
    Novica said:

was more concerned with details of what OS, Av and other such stuff was being used.   A list of threads was not going to help much, as it was behaving differently for different people. 

Gotcha. I posted it was Chrome, Windows 7, 64 bit   wink 

Well the Web Dev will be working on it. He says the good news is they do have a back up of all images, so no worries about any being lost.  They just have to work out why it is happening.

edited July 2015

Chohole said:

Well the Web Dev will be working on it. He says the good news is they do have a back up of all images, so no worries about any being lost.  They just have to work out why it is happening.

Is it too *stupid or simple-minded to wonder*  if possibly the image databases attached to the old forum were not programmed to move to the new platform along with the posts?  Or like the posts you pointed out to me yesterday, just have a new path and the pics aren't playing nice?  surprise  SileneUK

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited July 2015
    Chohole said:

That may be quite difficult. I have no AV at all, That Host file was removed, to no avail. and the pop-up blocker thing in firefox shouldn't keep images from loading. I am out of options here.

I am literally running in the demilitarized zone with no protection at all at the moment. It's either something blocked at ISP, or further out.

The link thing is not a bad thought SileneUK, Tho my former post in this thread with screen-caps had the same link format, as the ones to missing pics. I think (shrugs shoulders)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/8c/695f5631a760327e7a1e67ef6af90d.png

vs

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/af/4554063c942a1bc85fcbef4c109c5a.png

then again, is the missing pics at the new paths, or still in the old paths... I'm of no further help, sorry.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on

TBH the longest part of the changeover down time was because of uploading the images, so they didn't rush it.

Chohole said:

TBH the longest part of the changeover down time was because of uploading the images, so they didn't rush it.

Well, there is no point in beating our heads against the wall over it... I'm willing to just wait till DAZ tekkies have a chance to trace it back and see where it fell down and give us an idea of when things will be up and running again. These things happen.

I am remembering the QuinetiQ census online  fiasco here in 2002, Chohole!  And these are the darlings of the tech world who create and manage programmes for the Ministry of Defence's military simulation training. Oh yeah! devil

laugh SileneUK

edited July 2015

Agreed SileneUK.

Open Q. I'm at least putting this back in, any lines that should be removed specifically for daz?

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited July 2015

I see the thumbnails, at least some of the thumbnails - often on the 2nd+ page of  the thread, the thumbnails get replaced by little red Xs. Either way, when I click on them I get a Page Not Found screen.

The new midget thumbnails mostly seem all right, although one or two of those in Ringo's shader thread do the same.

I've already asked if the new thumbnails can be made the same size as the "old" thumbnails in the Commons thread, although I didn't see any response to that. (but it is a rapidly growing thread).

Oh, OSX Yosemite, and Safari.

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

I don't like this new style of forum, as said Andy, it's a kind of beta forum.
    Why doesn't one progress instead of evolve ?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited July 2015

Now I'm loosing images in threads that were posted today??? I also got a couple of Cloudflare errors today.

I thought that it might be a problem with the new image addresses vs the old being held in cache servers somewhere, but that doesn't explain why the new images are going missing. Shouldn't be a AV problem, unless the new image server has been blacklisted for some reason, but even if it is, Avast (the AV I am using) will typically warn me. I'm wondering if maybe it's a time out issue, where if the images aren't loaded, or start loading fast enough, then they end up with invalid "ghost" addresses pointing to an invalid url. Who knows, but it does seem to be worse this afternoon, but overall it seems that the missing images are rather inconsistant.

System Specs - Win 7 Pro, Avast AV, Chrome & IE, Xfinity (Comcast) is my ISP.

Edit: I should also add I'm having similar issues with an Android tablet and an Android phone

Post edited by DustRider on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    DustRider said:

Now I'm loosing images in threads that were posted today??? I also got a couple of Cloudflare errors today.

I thought that it might be a problem with the new image addresses vs the old being held in cache servers somewhere, but that doesn't explain why the new images are going missing. Shouldn't be a AV problem, unless the new image server has been blacklisted for some reason, but even if it is, Avast (the AV I am using) will typically warn me. I'm wondering if maybe it's a time out issue, where if the images aren't loaded, or start loading fast enough, then they end up with invalid "ghost" addresses pointing to an invalid url. Who knows, but it does seem to be worse this afternoon, but overall it seems that the missing images are rather inconsistant.

System Specs - Win 7 Pro, Avast AV, Chrome & IE, Xfinity (Comcast) is my ISP.

Edit: I should also add I'm having similar issues with an Android tablet and an Android phone

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59118/image-attachments-fix-and-error#latest 

edited July 2015

Ouch!!! 

Post edited by DustRider on
    DustRider said:

Ouch!!! Y

Yeah, double ouch even...

mjc1016 said:
    DustRider said:

Ouch!!! Y

I'd re-post/fix my images, but I don't have a clue what I posted where. Of course I usually can't even remember what I did an hour ago either  

DustRider said:
    mjc1016 said:
    DustRider said:

Ouch!!! Y

I'd re-post/fix my images, but I don't have a clue what I posted where. Of course I usually can't even remember what I did an hour ago either  

I think I've only posted one since before the switch.  Goes to show the necessity of frequent backups...like at least daily.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    mjc1016 said:

Thanks for that link.

I've been checking around and I see that images are reappearing in the various threads again.

I've not posted anything except test images since the forum change, so luckily no big loss for me. But there's probably some image loss in the Challenge WIP thread.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited July 2015
    DustRider said:
    mjc1016 said:
    DustRider said:

Ouch!!! Y

Don't worry about re-posting your images. Even that doesn't work. I just tried and got an "internal error" message.

Hard to believe, isn't it?  frown

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited July 2015
    mjc1016 said:
    DustRider said:
    mjc1016 said:
    DustRider said:

Ouch!!! Y

I think I've only posted one since before the switch.  Goes to show the necessity of frequent backups...like at least daily.

Then there is the other side of that, How long do you keep the oldest backup around. If it's just a single CD/DVD of data each day, a 100-CD-book can keep a hundred days of backup. If it's more, like an HPSS with over a PetaByte, well.

Honestly, I don't know what a 50 PetaByte HPSS would be backed up on, tape just isn't that big last time I looked, lol. "Data crystals"?

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited July 2015

I switched from Carrara to Daz Studio. Seeing all the images now... 

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915

I switched from Carrara to Daz Studio. Seeing all the images now... 

laugh  Their evil plan, revealed! 

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I switched fron Studio to Carrara, now I see n

(no carrier)

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited July 2015

All appears good from the chair I sit. My aging eyes appreciates the larger text.

• Internet Explorer 11
    • Windows 8.1

Note: Kudos for the menu eidit  edit bar

Post edited by Design Acrobat on